Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sim / Holodeck AKA How to get around 'Need moar tileset / enviroments' feedback

McGuffin

Hey guys,

I've been looking through a lot of the feedback and dev responses regarding map diversity and may have an interesting solution to the (constant) questions.

How about adding hologram / sim rooms? These rooms could have a artificially projected terrestrial environments while still logically appearing on a ship. Considering the comparatively advanced technology for the Corpus faction, I think this might be a good fit for their current ship levels. Imagine fighting through the sterile 'clean room' environments and opening a door to discover a lush forest, rocky crags, waterfalls and what have you? It can even have an artificial sky!

Thematically speaking, these levels or rooms could be used to test Walker combat capabilities in varied enviroments. Gamewise, it provides a nice changeup and interesting scenarios. For example, opening a door to an 'arctic' environment would trigger the shield penalty on a ship that doesn't have its cryo systems malfunctioning until you leave the room.

Designwise, the idea also works because one of the challenges in integrating varied 'outdoor' enviroments is the need for artificial chokepoints and seams where you can connect the different areas together. A holodeck implementation would get around that because you're still on the ship. There are still doors which join the rooms together. It doesn't matter what it looks like or how its shaped because its a hologram.

Grineer ships could have the same function, but instead of nice environments it could be some grimy, post industrial version of what nature would look like on Earth. Infested ships could have these rooms glitch out, flicker and generally look disgusting.

How about it guys and girls?

Edited by McGuffin

It´s all on the Way. They working hardly on for expl: Grineer Ships and they´re looking Awesome

I know, I read most of the posts regarding the issue :) Really looking forward to it. My post was more of a suggestion on how we can get more variety into the existing tileset. Definitely not a quick fix haha.

Yeah, this is an interesting idea, and one of many possibilities that's been brought up internally as well.

It falls under the realm of "themed" rooms, which we definitely want to have more of -- to give a stronger sense of purpose and narrative to specific areas.

Our approach thus far has been to first establish the general look and feel of an art set (what you see now with Corpus, and soon with Grineer), and then when the time is right to follow that up with more customized areas.

We have a big list of ideas for such things, so feel free to keep thinking up more! :)

Yeah, this is an interesting idea, and one of many possibilities that's been brought up internally as well.

It falls under the realm of "themed" rooms, which we definitely want to have more of -- to give a stronger sense of purpose and narrative to specific areas.

Our approach thus far has been to first establish the general look and feel of an art set (what you see now with Corpus, and soon with Grineer), and then when the time is right to follow that up with more customized areas.

We have a big list of ideas for such things, so feel free to keep thinking up more! :)

I am now a Grand Master. My eyes are opened. I SEE EVERYTHING BWAHAHHAHAAA *cough*.

Seriously though, loving it :D