Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Fate of Warframe

NaniteCircuit

So, I was rewatching some of Ross Scott's (The guy who made Freeman's Mind) old stuff, and I remembered his episode on Battleforge, an RTS that had an online only requirement that EA pulled the plug on several years ago. Unfortunately, killing games isn't an uncommon thing in the game development business. That got me thinking, what will become of Warframe in the (Hopefully) distant future? Will DE release a patch that allows it to be played offline, or maybe release the source code, or will it see the fate that so many games before it met?

A grim outlook to be sure, but here's to hoping for the best.

If anyone is interested, I'll leave a link to the video in question here, just be wary of very strong language.

I suppose that if (or when) the servers go offline, that's it. I made my peace with that a long time ago, too. I'll have plenty of screenshots and videos and all other sorts of digital leftovers to adequately preserve the memories I find most valuable, but I got used to the general notion of "games going away forever" quite some time ago.

I've had since the end of SWG to mull it over and decide how I'm going to respond to a world where games that you pay for can just go away, along with all the ephemeral goods you put time into obtaining.

If DE did decide to create some way for players to enjoy a legacy environment, that'd be a nice surprise, but I'm not about to demand that they do it. I'll simply go on to the next thing, since that's what life is all about in the first place.

I guess we will have to accept whatever happens and say "goodbye" to Lotus and "we'll see you next time" to devs.

But i deem this unlikely in nearest future. Devs stated many times that Warframe basically saved their studio, that they love the game and community.

There was that PAX interview with Scott and Rebecca where Scott told a story how he was showing Warframe prototype to investors, one "big one" in particular who said "this game is cool, awesome, beautiful... You're gonna fail" (Scott's face is like (0_0) ) "You will never update it, blah blah blah"

And then Scott was like "i'll show you! we will update the game every week/month and we will get gud!"

And look where we are now. Scott (somewhat) kept his promised and Warframe is like in Top 10 (if not Top 5) played games on Steam. I think it's safe to say that Warframe isn't going anywhere in near future. Enjoy the ride while you can. Just like with everything in life, really.

Edited by Artek94

When it does eventually end, I'll probably log back in towards the end. Started in closed beta, and though I'm not a fan of WF anymore I have way too many memories of this place. The people I've met, the friends I've talked too and the fun I've had are memories I will never forget.