Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"theater Mode" For Making Machinimas And Reviewing Playback.

Snow_Crash

Warframe is a fantastic title that seems to be growing exponentially in popularity with each month. Hundreds of new players are signing up every day and now that E3 is over this number is gonna get even larger. Digital Extremes has been faithful to their players and in return players have shown their support and appreciation through fan art, fan fiction, and "lets plays."

But what about fans interested in the machinima industry? At the moment the only way to record game footage is in the middle of a mission and from a third-person perspective. Unless you use Ash's Smokescreen or zoom in with a sniper rifle, you can't record anything without your character standing at front and center of the camera.

Being a writer who wants to make a start with https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/64447-space-ninjas-machinima-2-episodes-written-so-far/'>his own Machinima series, this current system has done nothing but test my patience and limited sanity.

It would be great if Warframe would keep the footage of your last completed mission and allowed you to play it back. You could rewind, fast forward, and view the footage from any angle. Even better you could add a sort of "sandbox mode" where you could design a stage for recording on, allow Tenno to use powers on one another for effect, and even place and control enemies to use as characters.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only player who'd be excited about having this feature in the game.

Warframe is a fantastic title that seems to be growing exponentially in popularity with each month. Hundreds of new players are signing up every day and now that E3 is over this number is gonna get even larger. Digital Extremes has been faithful to their players and in return players have shown their support and appreciation through fan art, fan fiction, and "lets plays."

But what about fans interested in the machinima industry? At the moment the only way to record game footage is in the middle of a mission and from a third-person perspective. Unless you use Ash's Smokescreen or zoom in with a sniper rifle, you can't record anything without your character standing at front and center of the camera.

Being a writer who wants to make a start with his own Machinima series, this current system has done nothing but test my patience and limited sanity.

It would be great if Warframe would keep the footage of your last completed mission and allowed you to play it back. You could rewind, fast forward, and view the footage from any angle. Even better you could add a sort of "sandbox mode" where you could design a stage for recording on, allow Tenno to use powers on one another for effect, and even place and control enemies to use as characters.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only player who'd be excited about having this feature in the game.

Thats a really good idea! Im sure some kind of custom tools may be developed for this, but support for replays was something I had not considered. 

Thats a really good idea! Im sure some kind of custom tools may be developed for this, but support for replays was something I had not considered. 

Also be careful with Machinima, I was looking into it and there are a lot of not happy people who produce content for it.

Well. Something like this would need its own dev team. Its so complex and all. Maybe in a year or so. But now? No thanks

Not really, I believe all a playback mode would need to do is record the command inputs of the players and AI then simply run them through the mission again. I think that's how Halo's theater mode works too.

Also be careful with Machinima, I was looking into it and there are a lot of not happy people who produce content for it.

No, not machinima like Machinima.com, I've heard the stories too. I'd rather promote my machinima privately or through a company like Rooster Teeth (who I happen to share a city with and will be attending their convention next month.) It's called "Space Ninjas" btw and you should check it out in the link above. #shamelessselfpromotion But honestly I'm very surprised how well it's turning out so far in terms of writing. I don't think this sense of humor belongs to me. Should I return it?

Not really, I believe all a playback mode would need to do is record the command inputs of the players and AI then simply run them through the mission again. I think that's how Halo's theater mode works too.

You can move through everything in the Halo theatre. It creates a room in which you, as the player, can control everything. And stuff like that is heavy. Not only to make it easy to use for noobs, but also heavy for your machine. Recording everything, not just what you see, requires immensive power. I dont see anything like Halo coming in any way. .And Halo had its own 12-20 people team working on it. Same would be needed for WF.

A record function for the player, maybe. But a theatre? Not really....

Edited by Venarge

You can move through everything in the Halo theatre. It creates a room in which you, as the player, can control everything. And stuff like that is heavy. Not only to make it easy to use for noobs, but also heavy for your machine. Recording everything, not just what you see, requires immensive power. I dont see anything like Halo coming in any way. .And Halo had its own 12-20 people team working on it. Same would be needed for WF.

A record function for the player, maybe. But a theatre? Not really....

I don't actually play halo so I apologize if I used the wrong term for what I was looking for. My primary interest is simply a recording function that lets you replay the mission from any perspective. It would be just enough for players to make basic machinima or review their tactics as a team. It'd be nice if Tenno could use powers on one another outside an arena as my writing so far relies heavily on slapstick, but I'd be more than happy just to record footage without hitting Smokescreen every ten seconds.

A record function for the player, maybe. But a theatre? Not really...

I dont think you really get what is going on. A record function only does as he stated, checks positions and inputs for all character and npc's and saves them. Playing back this information basically just recreates what the player did. It is not taxing on computers, however it could be taxing on the Dev team depending on how they have their engine set up. 

Now, recording live video at 60fps, that is intensive, creating basically a huge text log of what happened for 40 different units over 30 minutes, not so much.