Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it time for Warframe's AI to be improved?

With all of the upcoming content DE is working on. I'd imagine it's tough to work on every single thing. But one thing I always though DE could work on is AI. However, would DE ever find the time to ever work on it? Would it ever be neccessary? In Warframe, at high level content, CC is often used to well, control the high health, high damage enemies. If the goal is to invalidate enemies? What purpose is it to create smarter AI? At the same time though. Smarter AI could be the step in the right direction towards a more inclusive endgame. Where more Warframes and weapons are welcome. Yet that would require breaking down and rebuilding core components of Warframe  Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Edited by (PS4)Fac3kick3r_lolz

At present, it's almost pointless (save with some bosses). It may positively affect how new players see the game. But it won't make it more difficult for high leveled people or have much effect on endgame. As you alluded to, what blind, frozen, primed enemy is going to be able to pose a challenge to an invisible/invincible player, intelligent or not?

For specific enemies like stalker sorts, are getting smarter. Although Dark stalker is a bit worse because of weapon choice. They are trying to make arena AI work better as a team as the DE dev who worked on them want to do it for other factions. There is little point in making grunts like Lacers and crewmen any smarter than cover/shoot as they are designed to be fodder. Being so far into a endless to have lvl 200 lancers is not really real "endgame".

IMO higher rank enemies (minus the bombards, heavy gunners, techs) should act more or less like the executioners. I for one love the fact the executioners would roll out of the way since in my mind I'm always expecting them to just charge at me with absolutely no fudges given.

Edited by Trowicia

Personaly I would like to play against better AI if this means more tactical play and smarter position taking. This mean the current slaughter House which have in this game will be gone and the higher level games will be less action and more tactical. I am for the better AI and less sponge enemies.

AI could be improved.

They need to be able to react better to their current situation (I.E: Pushing you back means they'll be more aggressive so you won't have any breathing room, while you pushing them back means they'll be more on the defensive so you'll have to come into their territory where they'd have more of an advantage).

Plus, the special enemies kinda need reworks. Snipers should be at the farthest point in the map, out of sight, where they can actually be a threat. Heavy units should be lined up at the front of an engagement with the fodder and support units behind.

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Fac3kick3r_lolz said:

At the same time though. Smarter AI could be the step in the right direction towards a more inclusive endgame.

Hard CC (enemies' and ours), along with one hit kills from an enemy you can't even see, are not engaging gameplay.  CC like Chaos, Reckoning, ID, and such is ok in my book, as it doesn't render you invincible.  Stuff like Bastille, Vortex, Avalanche (4 forma in Prime, Prime+regular playtime is main frame by about a 4% margin), blind spam (btw, I usually run Mirage in raids, and mine has 5 forma, and you can guess how my T4I runs go, so this is not the rant of someone who had one match with a blind Mirage once and got salty) is garbage gameplay and extremely unrewarding.  Unfortunately, it's currently necessary, as the only way to find a challenge in this game is to go to levels high enough that the cc becomes a thing you need.  I completely agree with this part of OP's statement, in the light of reworking all damage, cc (to include stacking resistances on our part, and, for example, non aimbot grappling hooks on the enemies' part), and potentially number of spawns.  Getting swarmed by a hundred idiot Stormtroopers is a bit different from getting swarmed by the equivalent of a hundred SEALs.

everyone always wants more interesting AI in every game.

however - the majority of Warframes' runtime load already is AI.

the usual saying is, making awesome AI that dynamically reacts to everything is easy, making it actually run in realtime is a different matter.
you need that AI to actually run on the computers people have, and you have to throw away most of the really unique, complex stuff.

and then there's also that Enemies are always mapwide permanently disabled, and Players permanently invulnerable.
more interesting AI doesn't change how uninteresting your Gameplay is when those facets are still present.

Edited by taiiat

it was time for the AI to be improved over 2 years ago

now it is even more overdue

but of course you cant just change one thing without changing other systems ingame as well, since they are all inter-connected, ie our frame powers and energy need to be reworked, since atm, DE has just let the powercreep go on un-checked for years now

if they gave us 'smarter' enemies right now, it wouldnt matter, becuz our frame powers are too redonk, so to give us more challenging npc opponents they instead went the 'easy' route and just added enemies that hard-counter us by draining energy or turning off our abilities... but clearly this is a poor solution, and everyone hoped it would only be a temporary stop-gap, but here we are, several years down the road now, with no other solutions in sight... =/

so on the to-do list :

rework weapon base dmg mods and scaling - ie dmg v3.0

rework starchart - ie stop screwing over new users as well as give the game a cohesive world-space

rework energy management and abilities - ie almost everything should use LoS restrictions and no more or at least less blue balls and pizzas, instead a more manage-able constant/innate energy regen

rework enemy scaling and balance as well as improve NPC AI and give them more complex tactics like flanking/cover fire/squad movement/etc [even more complex give each faction a unique 'personality' in that fighting each faction should feel different in how they engage the tenno]

As long as we have the possibility of locking down all enemies or god mode or something, there's no point improving AI much.

They just need to add more unfair mechanics to fight the unfair mechanics we use. We aren't getting proper balance most likely anyway.

AI is fine now imo.

Difficulty sliders activating more complex AI on different maps would be a welcome addition though.

Adding back in diminishing returns ( if they have tuned it) as another aspect of enemy attributes on the difficulty slider would make for a more engaging experience as well.

The big deal, to me, is how it gets tuned and rewarded. It needs to be well tuned to make it engaging without encouraging cheesy tactics and rewarding enough to make it worth doing at all.