Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Passives, Volt, Mag & More!

[DE]Rebecca

2 minutes ago, Ziegrif said:

I hope the FOV change is removed all together or at least reduced by 90% so I don't have a risk of projectile vomiting whenever I press 2.

that and a slightly reduced energy cost on shock and speed.

7 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Limbo*: Holster Speed and Reload Speed is 50% faster while in the Rift, and movement speed increases by 10% while in the Rift.

If we can, we will make more changes to him by tomorrow (cue the coffee machine). His passive is really not something we believe puts him in a place we think is near final. We are considering replacing his 3 (Rift Surge) with something else. Stay tuned!

That passive sounds amazing! It would also makes sense that he wouldn't get affected by anything from Material Plane while on Rift Plane (Napalms fire hits him even when he's rifted.) 

As someone who uses Limbo a lot lately, I would suggest that Rift Surge and Rift Walk gets merged into one power, I wouldn't want to miss that extra damage that serves really well on sorties to OHKO even heavy units! 

And as for a possible new power for his 3.... It would be amazing if he gets some sort of "trickster" power, calling attention to all enemies, rifted or not, on a X range with some sort magic trick could be funny as hell. Say... he could do something with his hat, that  taunts surrounding enemies into hit or shoot him for X seconds. 

Edited by Lokime
Miau.

It would be an interesting aspect if we could experiment a little with frames' passives (and/or stats) by adding other frames parts to them.
Ie:
You've built a Mag-frame, but when farming for your next frame Rhino you got some extra Rhino Systems. Upgrading the foundry to "experimental foundry" you can now modify an already built frame by adding pieces.
Mag getting Rhino Systems could perhaps let you switch passive. The chassis may add or remove armor, energy capacity or speed depending on the stats.
The helmet...I have no idea what to do with the helmet :D Maybe there is a chip in it that you use for making the modifications?

You should probably only be able to make one modification per frame, preferably only the non-prime versions as to make them slightly more attractive compared to the prime variants.
(1 modification due to there only being 3 parts to a frame, 2 parts making it more of the other frame)

Edited by Lactamid

I'm not exactly floored by Limbo's passive. It feels like an afterthought, and the fact that you have to trigger the effect with one of his abilities seems unnecessary (especially for a buff that really isn't that significant). It might as well be attached to Rift Walk.

With Nyx's passive she's able to disarm enemies with her abilities. While I share the opinion that passives shouldn't rely on abilities to function, Nyx's is at least powerful enough to make it more acceptable. I think her weapons should also be able to disarm, at a much lower chance, but either way it is a strong effect. However, Limbo's passive wouldn't be very powerful even if he didn't need to be in the Rift, and giving him something beneficial outside of the Rift would seriously help him out.

That said, I'm really excited to see what they'll do with his 3rd ability. There's potential to make Limbo really fun with a shiny new ability, and after seeing the Mag and Volt reworks I'm confident they'll come up with something interesting.

Speed most noticeably has had its FOV reduced on cast, which should help with motion sickness complaints. Other players in range now get to 'opt-in' to Volt's Speed buff, by activating a pickup that Volt leaves behind on cast. This activation occurs on contact.

Or you could just make it a toggle option in settings. No reason why you should have to pick up something to gain the full benefit of a support ability. It's like making people run to a pickup to get the damage reduction from blessing.

I see, in two pages of passing reading, that Oberon's passive is already being written off. Personally, I love the idea. (Though more wildlife would be greatly appreciated, since, well, there're very few tilesets in which that fun can be used, much to my dismay.)

Ember's... I dunno. I'm gonna say I'm a little upset because I was working on Arcane Ice-ing her backdraft helmet and Pyra Syandana to become immune to fire, but that's a personal problem. I think the only thing I'm worried about is how quickly even a small fire proc can spell doom for her, especially when she starts needing that buff. Maybe, when proc'd, the proc does a bit less damage? I mean, it's a little strong already, what with an added 35% strength and energy regen, but I fear for how often it can effectively be used without commiting sudoku.

I like Nova's and Trinity's for sure, Loki's will be an incredible boon for him, Mag's makes sense if not exactly what I was expecting, Nekros's is pretty awesome. Volt's will be incredible fun, I'm sure of it >u<

Nyx, if implemented post-power-wear-off, will be pretty awesome.

Vauban... I suppose makes sense, though I would have expected it to be a team-buff instead of a self-buff. I mean, the tech guy improves his allies toys, yeah? Though I guess making yourself more protected makes sense. Maybe just me. Sounds cool either way, so no real complaints.

Ash's makes sense and should prove to be very useful, liking it.

Banshee... I mean, it makes sense, but with a power that does the same, I'm a little.. on the fence about it. Less energy spent, I suppose, so I'll withhold judgement until I have that one in my hands.

Hydroid's seems pretty neato, but I might be wanting a ground-slam speed increasing mod to get the most out of it. Still, interesting idea and I like it. Question; will Pilfering Swarm affect that tentacle, or will they be separate? Will it's duration scale with mods? (Most recent question could apply to Oberon's passive as well.)

Awesome Mesa touch-ups, though I'd still like a slightly more visible ring. Shooting Gallery buff will be wicked. One question, will the augment still proc from hers (in addition to ally's) every time it switches between allies, or will it only proc from the ally's? Two spots of blind every couple seconds might be pretty sweet. I mean, a radial blind every few seconds is pretty cool already.

Mag and Volt lookin good, though I'll want to play with both before I'm really sold.

On the topic of things that trivialize all content... There's kind of a lot that I want to say about the matter.

Warframe, as a whole, is a game where you're powerful. That's not a bad thing, not at all, and in fact I think that's one of the things that I love most. I mean, you're beyond powerful in many games, but in Warframe, you can really feel like a wolf amongst sheep, so to speak.

However, challenge is required to keep us from getting bored. As much fun as the gameplay itself is, if Earth was the toughest planet (not counting Moon) in the game, I'd be pretty bored pretty quick. But if it's all Sortie level content, it'd be hard to want to play at all anyways. I know I've given up on Sorties a few times. Too much frustration, because they are incredibly tough. Which is their purpose, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But sometimes I want to stroll through Earth with my Grinlok and Ember, or casually run a defense or survival while blasting music/chatting with friends.

I think that extremely powerful weapons are necessary, in certain dosages. I think that we may, MAY, have weapons that exceed that dosage. I don't think any weapon should one-shot enemies for the duration of a Sortie 3 survival. (I don't think any can actually do this, at least not reliably, but I mean, my Sancti Tigris just completely trumps anything else I own in terms of damage with the same kind of ease of use.)

I am all for a total weapon rebalancing pass, and all for a redux of the mods system to better facilitate such a rebalancing. But I would stress that, at least personally, a big chunk of Warframe's appeal is it's ability to be extremely challenging or extremely empowering, depending on what mission you run with what gear. I would also warn that, no matter what, there will be a meta, a tried-and-true method of getting through as much content, as easily and quickly as possible, because it's an inherently human problem that can't be solved regardless of how many iterations you run through. Even games like TF2, or the Souls franchise have their metas that can completely trump other methods of play.

I love Warframe, and all the work you guys have put into it so far has been, in a word, inspiring. I've been spoiled by Warframe in many ways. Movement on other games never feels as fluid anymore, and customizeability is always lackluster comparatively. UI is simple, informing (for the most part), and makes sense to me. Graphically, even at the lowest settings, it's beautiful, and visually it's unique. I can't think of many games that compare. So, when anything as big as weapon/mod/warframe rebalancing comes up, I always get a little worried, because it can all go south at the slightest adjustment. I have faith that you guys will do your best to make the best game you can, but I'm always fearful that it won't be the same game. I'm always a little scared that, one day, I'll log on to Warframe and just... not feel at home.

But like I said. I have faith in you guys, if I have any faith at all. And I'll continue to support Warframe and DE until either you guys decide it's time to call it quits or I die. Whichever comes first.

Also, I apologize for going way off the rails there. I just-.. I dunno. I hope someone in the offices reads it and knows that their work, while it may never be sung of, will always be appreciated.

1 hour ago, PacSun said:

Im still confused what wall-latching has to do with Loki (Deceiver/Tricker) 

Kind of feel the same lol. I mean mechanically I do get it and like it for him, but at the same time, how often does a Loki player want to latch on a wall? I mean I suppose some Spy missions like the Moon tileset, but even then some would argue that the puzzles revolving around wall latching makes you keeping moving because of the lasers passing by.

I can see it make sense with Zephyr thematically and mechanically. She has god-dang talons for one, and that her playstyle already involves with airborne maneuvering at elevated heights. I mean hell, I always put in elemental jump mods for her so I can latch on for longer time when I want to fight on an angle or do something neat higher up. Or for those Conclave'rs out there, you already see Zephyr players higher up anyway clinging onto walls sniping from afar sometimes, but still~

Loki on the other hand, err...unfortunately I don't play him enough to know what would latch time benefit off of, since most Loki players I ever see are taking advantage of melee stealth for example, or traversing through enemies invisible, but I'm sure someone here could shine some light what or how could this passive be incorporated with his overall design philosophy and playstyle(s).

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

Shield will be receiving a graphic overhaul to improve the look of casting, ambient effects, and its effect on projectiles that pass through. Shield now offers strong synergies if Shock is cast through it – it charges the shield with Electric damage which will hurt enemies that come in contact. As a late-addition driven by player demand, Shield can now be picked up with a context action which limits weapon usage and drains energy.

Rather than a context action why can't it be a press for stationary and hold for riot shield. Having to press the context action button after casting is an unnecessary action and kills Volt's flow as a fast paced frame. Like if i want to to use the riot shield i have to first cast it then wait for the context action which presumably has a delay plus the animation of picking up the shield. HStanding still for that long can be deadly for a Volt given how squishy he is when his shields go down.

2 minutes ago, HalfDarkShadow said:

-snip-

...but I'm sure someone here could shine some light what or how could this passive be incorporated with his overall design philosophy and playstyle(s).

To, ahem, shed some light, I would say that having an incredibly long wall-latch time would allow access to innumerable spots where you can sit and remain unseen while you regen energy for another invis cast, or scope out the map for a better, sneakier path. Especially in the Corpus spy tiles, where you may have to wall-latch and wait for lasers to move a certain way to get through undetected. I'd assume Moon spies would also be significantly easier if you could sit for longer to observe and plan. It fits with his infiltrator-like playstyle. Trickster, maybe not, but the sneaky spy will definitely benefit.

5 minutes ago, iDEBz said:

Or you could just make it a toggle option in settings. No reason why you should have to pick up something to gain the full benefit of a support ability. It's like making people run to a pickup to get the damage reduction from blessing.

This kind of reminds me of another game, where a certain class that's like a hybrid debuffer/magic-oriented, and instead of having normal healing abilities like a healing class would, the guys behind it thought it would be a good idea to instead just drop orbs around for players to pick up when to heal. Though it does make sense if you want to set up orbs around a room before starting a boss fight, sure, but even then, you'll likely already have a dedicated healer or two in your party that can heal you pretty much fully, so why bother? lol.

Not exactly the same thing, I know, but hence it did reminded me of this lol. Though personally with this Volt change....meh I can live either way. The only times I personally ever see a Volt using Speed for other teammates is for Void Capture missions farming, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt haha.
I do see your point though that it would be a bit frustrating if I ever need a Volt for his ability~

2 minutes ago, KaraOgata said:

To, ahem, shed some light, I would say that having an incredibly long wall-latch time would allow access to innumerable spots where you can sit and remain unseen while you regen energy for another invis cast, or scope out the map for a better, sneakier path. Especially in the Corpus spy tiles, where you may have to wall-latch and wait for lasers to move a certain way to get through undetected. I'd assume Moon spies would also be significantly easier if you could sit for longer to observe and plan. It fits with his infiltrator-like playstyle. Trickster, maybe not, but the sneaky spy will definitely benefit.

Ah thanks for the clarification! That actually makes alot more sense now (not that I ever had a problem with him getting this passive lol), I was just curious what Loki players could use this new passive for to capitalize on regarding how they play :P

Just now, Daruru said:

I'll take wall latching over that useless Vauban passive any day :/ 

Don't knock it til' you try it I always say ;3
At least it's better than the only 2 Warframes in the game who still have a 15 armor rating like this is still Update 8 over 2 years ago lol (*looking at you Banshee and Zephyr >__> Love them to bits though lol*)

2 minutes ago, HalfDarkShadow said:

Ah thanks for the clarification! That actually makes alot more sense now (not that I ever had a problem with him getting this passive lol), I was just curious what Loki players could use this new passive for to capitalize on regarding how they play :P

Glad I could help! I don't know how much it'll actually come into affect, since most players I think will just spam energy pads and perma-invis their way through, but I have hopes and know I'll be using it.

I have to congratulate on the Speed solution.

The previows version was pretty much a One sided choice, Volt's call.
The version suggested during Devstreams completly disregarded Volt's choice and made it entirely dependant on the other players, and not VOlt's call at all.

The final version literaly needs both player's consensus. If you wanna get someone out of a tight situation, approach, cast speed, the person picks it too, both run out of danger.
If you DON'T wanna GIVE speed to the already overpowered @&amp;#(&amp;*@#&#036;#s out there, you can simply move away from them and they won't even be able to grab it, because there won't be a way.

Because let's face it, 150 ~200 str Speed builds are team oriented buffs, but when a Volt goes for 250 str+, that's because he wants to rock and there wouldn't be a point in doing that if the other carry is gonna leech on it, and get a overpowered speed on top of his already overpowered 4th ability.

REgardless of everything else, i'm just glad [DE] didn't take from Volt the option of having Speed be his own, if he wishes to.
Volt already has 3 Team oriented abilities, Let's stop at 3,5. Because Even Trinity the top buffer, has an ability designed entirely to support her alone.

Also... Oberon's passive... Does that mean that by the end of a mission I'm gonna have my own Hyekka & Drahk Army?

Edited by Duduminador

7 minutes ago, HalfDarkShadow said:

Don't knock it til' you try it I always say ;3
At least it's better than the only 2 Warframes in the game who still have a 15 armor rating like this is still Update 8 over 2 years ago lol (*looking at you Banshee and Zephyr >__> Love them to bits though lol*)

Real issue with that is you have to be huddled up for it to even work, and lets face that will rarely happen even in defense missions lol. Vauban should get a hacker passive, similar to Oberon except it works on all robotics(except bursa), cameras and turrets.  Would work on all maps and factions except infested xD unless you count the infested moa and ospreys lol

edit: also that armor buff passive is useless for solo vauban players

Edited by Daruru

If we can, we will make more changes to him by tomorrow (cue the coffee machine). His passive is really not something we believe puts him in a place we think is near final. We are considering replacing his 3 (Rift Surge) with something else. Stay tuned!

Please do this, Please rework Limbo

Thank You

Also his passive brings nothing to his kit

8 minutes ago, (PS4)xHitmanx375 said:

hahaha i like it how the oberon fanboys cry like kids because DE didnt made the worst frame somehow better ... deal with it he will always be the worst frame !

If a Paladin-Druid Fairie King from Uranus isn't an example of it alone!

Furor must've paid DE to do it, too!

24 minutes ago, (PS4)xHitmanx375 said:

hahaha i like it how the oberon fanboys cry like kids because DE didnt made the worst frame somehow better ... deal with it he will always be the worst frame !

You make things that are bad better. That's what you're supposed to do if you handle game balance. Deliberately keeping something useless shows that they have absolutely no idea what to do with Oberon.

We've *@##&#036;ed about his passive since the passive reveal. Out of all the seemingly useless passives ( ARMOR. ON. VAUBAN. WOW. ) this takes the cake simply because of how terribly situational it is. It's absolutely useless on Corpus & Infested missions and I'm pretty sure Drahk & Hyekkas are Grineed-aligned, not "wildlifes" like Desert Skates and Feral Kubrows. If this were the case then his passive only works on 2 goddamn planets.

Change it.

Edited by TotallyLagging