Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop Part 2: ...& more Warframe Changes.

[DE]Rebecca

5 minutes ago, KnotOfMetal said:

That would be Ivara for T4 Int. She can even cause enemies to perma glitch capture points so the enemy can no longer capture anything and all the tenno have to do is find a nice perch or hide out until the end of round where it's either covert lethality or noise arrow to get everyone to crowd around in front of the doom lasers. 

-Time for group hug! Everyone gather around.  Aaannnddd ZAAAP-

Hey at least DE will get plat sales when people buy ivara off the market...Clever tactic :)

I like the changes for once!

@[DE]Rebecca: I kown this is a fan concept, but I'll like to bring your attention to this, alot of players enjoy it and I feel the devs at the table AKA: Drew may like this idea of Bladestrom or Ash's "rework" 

Please altest take a read into it Rebecca

Also: I have to ask, is the Limo rework in play?, with his change of Passive & Rift Surge? 

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

The following changes address Abilities which are commonly used to trivialize large amounts of Warframe missions.

Are you going to address the part where enemies trivialize our powers to go along with the new changes? Otherwise, it's kind of pointless. All your'e doing is making players weaker. Many will just resort to new cheese in order to compensate. 

Some examples:

Enemy reaction time at higher levels (around lvl 80 and up) are 4-5 times faster than a blink of an eye (literally).

Energy Draining Eximus - from 400+ energy to 0 in less that 3 seconds.

Multiple Ancient Healers that conveniently spawn right behind a wall or are inside Nullifier bubbles.

Bombards shooting rockets when they are already killed.

etc., etc,, etc.

1 minute ago, WingedCrusade said:

Uhm. Trinity's actual kit is really a bit of a joke. Well of Life is useless, and still, that 99% damage mitigation? You said it yourself, you /actually have to take life threatening damage to get it./ Trinity gets constant nerfs to the ground that make her near useless often until DE picks up on how bad it is before fixing it.

Who else really heals? Oberon? His healing is pathetic, he's barely built for it. Trinity's a HEALING support frame, made for HEALING and SUPPORTING team mates.

Thing is, even if Trinity gets nerfed, mediocre will always be mediocre, taking a step away from Warframe: If on a moba you nerf an S-tier character to B, that does not make B tier characters better, Oberon, Hydroid, Banshee, Limbo should've been the frames receiving balance changes (in form of a buff obviously), If a healer is underperforming nerfing the better ones won't help, specially when Oberon ability is so lackluster you are better of using a health restore.

Hello Tenno!

Welcome to Dev Workshop Part 2 where we cover Mirage, Valkyr & Excalibur. Please take a moment to read it thoroughly if these Warframes and their Ultimates interest you.

The following changes address Abilities which are commonly used to trivialize large amounts of Warframe missions. Please remember that the information listed is subject to change and that we will continue to monitor these Abilities to ensure that they are fun and fair to use. We will continue tweaking and testing throughout the humid Canadian evening. The 18.13 Update notes will have the final information, but the following post will outline the spirit and intent behind the coming changes. These are targeted changes that we were able to make with the goal of releasing a cohesive Update 18.13 that addresses as many Warframe power concerns as possible

Part One of this Dev Workshop series can be found here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/652052-dev-workshop-passives-volt-mag-more/

Part One has information on a full Passive roster, and complete rework information on Volt and Mag, and more.

Part Two (this post here!) includes information on some powers that have one or more aspects that requires adjustment based on their ability to completely nullify core combat mechanics.

You may recall that yesterday we mentioned that "we [will] move on to bigger Warframe reviews – this includes a detailed look at things that trivializes all content to an extreme". With that in mind, we'll get right to the results of this review:

Mirage:

Sleight of Hand: We have increased the damage and detonation range of all objects that can be booby trapped.

Prism: Prism’s Blind effect is now affected by the enemy's Line-of-Sight (LoS) to the Prism. Prism’s damage has been buffed slightly to compensate for this change. We found that Prism was able to lock down maps with little recourse, and we feel that these changes will make it a more targeted ability while also increasing its tactical usage.

Valkyr:

Hysteria is Valkyr's Rage Mode - we teased and released her as a Beserker frame and we've iterated on Hysteria a couple of times since release. We are returning to this power to reign in its issues but still thematically invoke her ultimate rage.

The relationship between time spent in Hysteria and energy & incoming damage has changed in two ways.

Firstly, the longer you stay in Hysteria, the more Energy it'll cost you and (but the energy drain ramp up is capped).

Secondly, while in Hysteria you are still invulnerable - the current Hysteria indicator on the UI tells you how much incoming damage you've absorbed and mitigated. The longer you stay in Hysteria, the less effective the mitigation of incoming damage is on the 'End Hysteria' phase. Ending your Hysteria session should be done with care - ensuring no enemies are in the range of Valkyrs Hysteria Aura (20 meters max, they have to be able to see you), or you will take the damage. How you choose to dispose of these enemies is up to you - either kill them, or get a safe distance away to deactivate Hysteria.

Excalibur:

Excalibur's rework made him an indisputable lethal force - a role he will continue to shine in, but now with more reasonable parameters on his Exalted Blade waves.

Exalted Blade’s damage will now diminish according to distance traveled and enemies punctured, and Exalted Blade’s built-in Radial Blind on spin will now cost ½ the Energy of a regular Radial Blind. Although Exalted Blade is a lot of fun, we feel that it completely overshadows all of Excalibur’s other abilities at little cost. The powerful range on Exalted Blade turned Excalibur into more of a turret than a swordsman. This change means that Exalted Blade is more effective when used in close range and using Radial Blind is now a calculated choice. The ability will simply become more engaging in all encounters.

Also under review:

Trinity's Blessing & Ash's Bladestorm are both under review as well. If we determine a course of action for either of these powers, we will let you know here. Feel free to link us threads on either of these with your thoughts!

Thank you for your patience, Tenno! Please note that we are hyper-conscious of everyone's investment (including our own) into these Warframes. We only aim to apply balance where needed to increase our tactics and engagement with the gear we have collected.

dont missunderstand me about your changes, seems a lot of brainstorms and developmenttime etc.

simply know that the frames differ in strength to handle enemy-attacks which makes for me personally a lot of development in that direction - and forgive me again and it is written as a question here - useless ? =))

im here in a absolute friendly meaning because i stayed 2,5 years in warframe and played all frames in my "individual" way

i learned a lot about martial arts in real life and the main thing in real fighting there is a continous strength as a basement before i even think about fighting, before this is not created/trained every theory or dream about winning a fight is useless

thats one thing i see also in teamplay, i use before i start the syndicate teamloaders to strengthen myself and im off rushing since i started to play, because all i expirience with rushers or people which start immediately jumping on enemies "with your given information about the development of the abilities of your frames" is that i found them faar off me (teamloaders need their time) often on the floor dying, now, next step: when i "travel/move" to them to help them the energy+ i have will be eaten by the way i have to move and lots of energies will be eaten to revive them ... after this i even have not really fought with any enemy because i have had to leave them back behind for helping the "people which rush in glory and power given by the development-information and development from you itself"

just as an example =)

now im shure lots of "superbest players" will jump on my comment and tell me "they are noobs", mostly the solo-player heros, fixed on their modding and op-weapon to be able to play solo for maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour or longer because they know by math or whatever more how to do their super-hero-solo-runs

my answer to them: play in a team ! ^^) warframe is mostly coop ! created for coop !

ok, to avoid dying because of your ongoing superdevelopment and changes at warframe i have to get a minimum of one super-op-weapon (can be done with at least 7 formas on 8 possible mod-places which is a amount of 140 pl) at my run and 2 of my choice i like (im talking about like, because there is a lot of development on so many weapons we all can never play) ...

i think most of real-thinking and long-time players and you as developers understood well what i talked about ...

i jump here again to BEING PLEASED that i think it would be very useful for you and us players to stop the ongoing changes and development at enemies and frames and you start creating new content for warframe as new planets, new races etc.

this would be more then great and i spoken for myself would love to get this development as a next step to keep us all loving warframe and playing it longer then 2,5 years as i do right now ...

and here i stop and give my wish again into your hands, DE and warframe team

because i loved to support and play warframe, would be great if i have a chance to play longer be seeing this wish (which for shure is in many other players too) heared ... thank you, DE ^^)

ps: this is a short sharing inside my mind about "playing warframe the last monthes" watching your development, i really welcome all of your development, i could say, yeah - warframe will leave beta soon, or what should i think about all this beside enjoying all the new stuff for relearning to play warframe ... ??? erm ... same inventory, same look, same enemies - different behaving of enemies, different behaving of frames every around half year leads to ... ? ^^)

just a a sequence inbetween ... a sharing from my mind loving and supporting warframe (^^

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, WingedCrusade said:

Uhm. Trinity's actual kit is really a bit of a joke. Well of Life is useless, and still, that 99% damage mitigation? You said it yourself, you /actually have to take life threatening damage to get it./ Trinity gets constant nerfs to the ground that make her near useless often until DE picks up on how bad it is before fixing it.

Who else really heals? Oberon? His healing is pathetic, he's barely built for it. Trinity's a HEALING support frame, made for HEALING and SUPPORTING team mates. I don't even main Trinity and I'd be upset to see her get slammed into the ground again. She needs her kit looked at, and her 4 left untouched because it's just fine where it is.

The reason why Trinity gets constant nerfs to the ground is because she's overpowered. Spammable, instantaneous full-healing, regardless of distance; even without the mitigation as a factor, how can any other straight heal compare to THAT without being a clone? To top that off, she breaks every mechanic that's supposed to limit or be limited by "fixed" energy intake, such as Rathuum or the buttons in LoR. 

Iteration 1, she gave party-wide damage immunity affected by Duration, and reflected all damage she took to boot. That gets removed, but with iteration 2 she still can receive 99.75% mitigation, with most of that distributed to allies. Doesn't matter if her immortality is conditional when her kit is built to make the condition irrelevant - Blessing's cost and Quick Thinking's energy drain are of no consequence when you have a frame who makes energy.
Energy Vampire's damage got nerfed? It's probably because people were comboing it with Well of Life to instantly kill enemies. Oh by the way, its damage is still ridiculous (kill Kela in 5 casts), just not as insane.
Blessing's healing got nerfed? So what, it's not like you were using Overextended for a Blessing build anyway. That's more to do with the fact that it was a spammable full-heal from unranked anyway.
So go on and complain about how Trinity players are such victims, while your friends openly abuse her powers to turn the whole game on its head. The only people agreeing are the ones who can't hear counterarguments over the sound of how powerful she is.

I'm not saying they can't bump everything else up too - hell, I've been suggesting that very thing left and right. Just that Blessing needs to be brought down a bit too, so you have reason to use anything else. If you made other healers provide anything less than godmode, Blessing would still be preferable 100% of the time simply because it gets the closest. That's the point of balance; if there's always going to be one "best" healer, considering how small groups are, there's no point in having other healers at all.
Supportive frames should all provide different takes with the same effectiveness, not the same take with differing effectiveness.

Edited by Archwizard

7 minutes ago, cx-dave said:

Are you going to address the part where enemies trivialize our powers to go along with the new changes? Otherwise, it's kind of pointless. All your'e doing is making players weaker. Many will just resort to new cheese in order to compensate. 

Some examples:

Enemy reaction time at higher levels (around lvl 80 and up) are 4-5 times faster than a blink of an eye (literally).

Energy Draining Eximus - from 400+ energy to 0 in less that 3 seconds.

Multiple Ancient Healers that conveniently spawn right behind a wall or are inside Nullifier bubbles.

Bombards shooting rockets when they are already killed.

etc., etc,, etc.

This is the thing I truly can't understand. Why are we getting handed nerfs like candy, when there are frames that badly need buffs? How many Zephyrs and Mesas do you see running around? 

Also, I'd much rather have the enemies reworked and then us along with them than having random nerfs handed out that can most certainly wait until after our not so little enemy problem is fixed first. The enemies shouldn't be balanced around us, we should be balanced around the enemies. Broken frames keep being released and then broken enemies get released to counter the broken frames. After that, said broken frames are nerfed into the dirt, why?

While I saw some of these changes coming long ago, I still don't know why are WarFrames the only thing that are getting mauled while some guns that also trivialize the game are just left alone.

To be honest I prefer using my WarFrame and melee far more than I do the guns but this is becoming harder to maintain with each "balance pass"

Hysteria's change was rather odd though. I really think I won't like that extra energy drain (I would have to test). There is already far more than enough energy leechers, energy stoppers, ability denial and ability immune things in the game as it is. I thought the invulnerability would be gone though and instead it would be put with damage reduction or extra armor, which coupled with its innate life-stealing would be a good change. As of now, the life-stealing actually does nothing most of the time, if not all.

I can't say much for Mirage's changes as I never really used it for the blind, or her in general for that matter. Actually, one of the things I used the most from her was the disco ball's lasers (until that targeting bug) and I tried to maintain it up for as long as possible.

Excalibur's EB... Yeah, I won't get into it. He pretty much got a lot of power on it, too much to be honest. I don't like that energy nerf he got with the tiny blind though, for the very same reason I explained with Valkyr.

While I support the idea of making the game balanced, to avoid making some things able to beat everything no matter what (or to be unbeatable), I don't like the approach it takes most of the time, which is to bring mostly WarFrames down to then realize some were left eating mud and then half buff them so they won't be left forgotten but never to stand out again.

How is that we are the very reason of a victory that the best civilization could not obtain for themselves, the ultimate power on the system; yet everyone seems quite capable of denying and hindering our abilities? Oddly enough they are hilariously incapable of developing something to defend themselves from their very own weapons, but can totally nullify our powers to which they don't really have a full grasp on. I suppose the reason lies somewhere along the lines of that the day a gun-overheater eximus makes appearance, something on the forums will explode...

With how broken los currently is, I don't think adding more abilities restricted by los is a good thing. I also hope for a possible fix to blinded enemies behaviour.

Don't change bladestorm before you take a look at elemental enhancement sorties.

Before changing ev/bless take a look at the trial.

Also consider taking a look at some buffing abilities and make them have max duration at all rank (like roar).

And if enemies could follow the same rules as us it would be very much appreciated.

Edited by khydhy

Wake me up when DE rebalances enemy scaling to compensate for their attempts at tackling frames that trivialize content and adopts a balancing policy that favors unused frames by buffing them. I'm getting tired of seeing frames nerfed because they're held to some semblance of "balance" in the face of broken enemy scaling, it's thoroughly nonsensical. If something is strong I can understand the purpose behind toning down its power, but when so many frames exist as derelict hulks because their jobs are fulfilled by other frames to much greater success or simply fill niches no one needs filled, I wonder what nerfs do to help these frames, because they're going to remain derelict until other frames have been brought to their level.

And promoting a balance based in continuously adjusting power to follow a downward trend is only going to create frustration in players.

Then again, the trend of so much of the playerbase whining and complaining about frames that are too strong overtaking the voices of players calling for changes to improve unpopular frames continues to hold true and it's becoming terrifically sickening.

5 hours ago, Fifield said:

This isn't enough either but a good direction nonetheless.  The damage needs to be toned down and please stop Life Strike working on it too.

I agree with the Excalibur changes and that Exalted Blade has too much power. But by God's sake, what you're asking here means Excalibur would have little to no chance in surviving the more levels we add to enemies. I don't think Life Strike working on Exalted Blade is an issue at all.

On another note: I'm glad to read the changes that are coming on 18.13. However (and I don't ususally want to notify someone from the Devteam, but I think this one time I want my point to be read :P) @[DE]Rebecca, speaking on Ash's Bladestorm. We agree he has a big power source on an ability with many rewards and basically no risks, but tweaking alone won't change much here. The biggest issue on Bladestorm, and I know you guys know already (because it's been stated in past Devstreams) is the lack of interaction with the player. You press a button and 35 seconds of cinematic ensues, sometimes even blocking you from chat itself.

What I want to say is that if you guys want to touch Ash, that's something I don't only agree on, but I find necessary. However, I'd rather have you guys use the time and effort for 18.13 on something else that might require your attention than touching Ash if there's only a couple tweaks coming to his 4th ability, and then look and review him at a later date with less stress and a bit more of Focus on him, so he can come out of the oven in an optimal state. Because people have been asking for example, for better Shuriken scaling (we'll see how his passive will help though, I'm excited!) and a complete Bladestorm overhaul so...

Hoping to see you guys be able to show some today on Devstream. Thanks as always, and please don't sacrifice too much sleep!

Edited by NightmareT12

9 minutes ago, Lycaris said:

Please dear dev's and game designers, take a look at Energy Vampire and energy regeneration in general.

But mostly at EV, it's messing everything-up especially for you guys I think.

Are you implying they need to nerf the only way we have around this broken energy system? Wow, thanks. Thats pretty much the only thing that we had left.

6 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Also under review:

Trinity's Blessing & Ash's Bladestorm are both under review as well. If we determine a course of action for either of these powers, we will let you know here. Feel free to link us threads on either of these with your thoughts!

Thank you for your patience, Tenno! Please note that we are hyper-conscious of everyone's investment (including our own) into these Warframes. We only aim to apply balance where needed to increase our tactics and engagement with the gear we have collected.

Trin's blessing isn't nearly a problem as EV, which makes power abuse rampant in the first place.

EV should be as it implies: being a vampire. What I would suggest is:

EV becomes an AoE status skill that causes Trin and all nearby allies to regain energy passively and for every attack they do, for the next 10 seconds (Maximum of 20 at LV4. affected by duration). Allies regain 2 energy every second (Maximum of 5 at LV4) and 1% of their current weapon's base damage (Maximum of 5% at LV4) done to an enemy will also restore energy (Both values affected by power strength).

This would actually force people to get off their &#! and fight, rather than sit back and watch a max-range trin do all the work.

As for Blade Storm, what I'd suggest is that it becomes a toggled stance skill that drains energy as its used, like Excal's exalted blade and Mesa's Peacemaker.

During that duration, Ash uses his arm blades to attack that allows him to bypass 75% of enemy armor and shields by default, his movement and attack speed is boosted by 50%, and the cost of his abilities are reduced by 90%, so if people want to emulate his old bladestorming skills; use his teleport ability en masse. If its not fun or not feasible to do at the current situation; just do as the ability says by using cloak and murdering everyone in a whirlwind of blades by spamming e and his shurikens.

Edited by Alma_Elma

13 minutes ago, TheKittenEater said:

Are you implying they need to nerf the only way we have around this broken energy system? Wow, thanks. Thats pretty much the only thing that we had left.

"And energy regeneration in general".

Please read everything in a post.

My thoughts about the Valkyr side of things:

You die from eyes, if the enemy can see you? I personally dislike the idea...
I would like it better if you activate hysteria and because it has life steal, (you don't take damage from enemies) but it drains health & energy while the ability is active, and you need to be killing to be able to be able to keep the 'rage' on, and the longer your in hysteria, the quicker health will start to drain so you will need more 'life steal income' ... Thats just my idea. 

18 minutes ago, RazrOutlaw said:

There's a reason we have in the English dictionary many and all at the same time, they are not synonyms, if you wan't to consider them that, it's up to you I guess.

What do you mean by afk central for void?

OT:

Studying English composition and grammar by chance???

https://www.grammarly.com/handbook/grammar/articles/7/mostsomeall-of-plural-noun-without-the/

There's a reason we have the English dictionary. "Many" and "all", are not synonyms. If you want to consider those words as stated, that's up to you. I digress.

What do you mean by, "the Void is AFK central"?

"AFK central" is the Grand Central Station for AFKers!!!

/OT.

Prism: Prism’s Blind effect is now affected by the enemy's Line-of-Sight (LoS) to the Prism. Prism’s damage has been buffed slightly to compensate for this change. We found that Prism was able to lock down maps with little recourse, and we feel that these changes will make it a more targeted ability while also increasing its tactical usage.

I am sorry, but are we talking about the same Prism that takes years to cast? If you nerf it so much and adding LoS check it's cast speed should be seriously buffed, not laser damage. You will be killed ten thousands times before you finish your Prism casting (even with natural talent) in front of the enemies after this fix. 

Sleight of Hand: We have increased the damage and detonation range of all objects that can be booby trapped.

Lazy way to fix already almost useless ability. There are some interesting interactions with some in-game objects (like lasers restoring your energy), but most of the effects providing by SoH are meh. More than that, you added things like ramparts or blunts long time ago, but SoH still has no interactions with them even now. There are no interactions with panels in interception missions and so on. Honestly the only reason for buffing SoH is to create a vision of not so on-sided nerf on Mirage abilities.

Firstly, the longer you stay in Hysteria, the more Energy it'll cost you and (but the energy drain ramp up is capped).

Could be nice but we already have too many energy drain enemies, especially if we talking about infested. I think it's time to balance our enemies too, energy leech auras shouldn't stack or at least radius of an aura should be lowered. Otherwise how are you gonna use hysteria against infested at all? Constant energy leech auras, disruptor's auras destroying our energy even through hysteria in several hits, more energy drain on ability itself... Why so called berserk mode should be so restricted against the only melee fraction in game?

Exalted Blade’s built-in Radial Blind on spin will now cost ½ the Energy of a regular Radial Blind

That makes no sense at all. I'd prefer you remove this Radial Blind on spin completely instead of this. 

1 minute ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

OT:

Studying English composition and grammar by chance???

https://www.grammarly.com/handbook/grammar/articles/7/mostsomeall-of-plural-noun-without-the/

"AFK central" is the Grand Central Station for AFKers!!!

/OT.

Still, most it's not a synonym for all: http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/all and they mean different things

Min-Maxing has nothing to do with afk players though, I know people who are Min-Maxers and still afk, also, you know you can actually report AFK players to support right? and believe me if you provide evidence, they do get banned.

Albeit my first point still stands, DE should never balance around level >100 enemies.

31 minutes ago, TheKittenEater said:

Yeah, even I wasn't going to touch that one!

Energy bars, like health, are suppose to start at 100%. It's like driving around all the time with 3/4 of the gas tank empty. No EV (or a stack of energy "tax" pads), that tank is never full. -_-

Notice the negatives? That's how it also feels ... not feeling 100%.

Edited by Kevyne_Kicklighter

I like these changes, we needed them since a long time. I dislike a bit the energy cost addition to the slide-Radial Blind, since that is tied to an attack many use for mobility and the blind is not powerful enough to justify it. Also, but this comes from my personal taste, I feel the energy waves should not be on default attacks, but maybe tied to charged or channeled attack, so you get to choose wether use them or not, and we need an incentive to use other combos from the stance 

I like using Valkyr for the hysteria ability. The ability is overpowered because of the invulnerability. If these changes are final, I'll probably stop using Valkyr. Limited duration and dangerous exit conditions sounds really terrible. I panic when my energy is drained by those energy leeches and I drop out of hysteria. The rest of kit doesn't appeal to me much, maybe for a buffer.

Maybe it would be more fair to take off the invulnerability instead as Valkyr does regenerate HP with her attacks in the stance. If this weakens her too much, maybe increase the lifesteal effect or add an effect like Excalibur's EB. It would cool to have the punches do small explosive AOE hits.

The only other frame I used extensively is Excalibur. Great frame, and the changes are very reasonable. I'm kinda surprised radial javelin wasn't tweaked.

Great news, from the many announcements Volt speed being optional for others is what made my day, as it was my number one pet peeve in the game.

My number two pet peeve is Ash 'reserving kills' … i don't mind players spamming bladestorm, but when they are inefficient, i would like to be able to kill their target, this happens quite often and always feel like bladestorm is stealing the fun of the mission.

Mirage:

Why don't you just delete this ability? It doesn't even work. I don't think there is any mental person in this game that consider this ability useful, or it should still be there since no one will complain "Oh, I hate when people kill enemy with Sleight of Hand and I can't kill them with my braton, Pls nerf."?
Also nerfing not broken, but just useful staff? Well, ok...

Edited by Maxis_55