Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

Does Garuda have better Volt's Shield now? As much as i saw from Devstream, from her first ability she pulling out of npc an orb with screen shield that absorbs incoming damage, that can be redirected to the enemy (IN AOE!), kinda Nyx + Volt synergy etc. The screen shield does not drain any energy per meter and also can be used in defensive/offensive manner.

And her ult...i see some Zeus treatment for Volt, Channeling ability, levitating ball of lightnings.

Spoiler

8fYWsCa.jpg 

Edited by Cryone

6 hours ago, Cryone said:

Does Garuda have better Volt's Shield now? As much as i saw from Devstream, from her first ability she pulling out of npc an orb with screen shield that absorbs incoming damage, that can be redirected to the enemy (IN AOE!), kinda Nyx + Volt synergy etc. The screen shield does not drain any energy per meter and also can be used in defensive/offensive manner.

And her ult...i see some Zeus treatment for Volt, Channeling ability, levitating ball of lightnings.

Hide contents

8fYWsCa.jpg 

One thing I can not understand: why can Garuda use shield with primary and Volt not?

Point:  I'd say that I have a very solid set of builds for Volt.  The thing is that these builds rely on Primed Mods, Arcanes, and specific Crit/Status guns and their interactions with his ES.  This is a TERRIBLE thing for new players, who have to log in for 400 days to get Primed Vigor (a central mod for my builds), kill Eidolons GALORE to get the 2 stacks of Arcane Barrier I recommend for my main and Overextended builds, and reach a Mastery rank of at LEAST 12 for some of the better weapons (as well as farm up a bunch of Primes that aren't available right now for good weapon variety).

Conclusion:  Volt ain't for new players AT ALL.

Point:  Volt's unique abilities lend him to different builds and build experementation, creating diversity in build logic and allowing for highly varied player experiences with Volt.  Unfortunately, the only builds that see significant play focus on either Speed or Discharge, with Electric Shield being an important player in both (I will note that some other folks seem to have wigged to my Cetus setup focusing on sniping and Electric Shield in a neat bit of parallel build evolution, but this build only works in open world areas).  Focusing on any one ability tends to render another impotent or too expensive to use regularly.

Conclusion:  Volt's modding requirements push highly linear builds that are very focused on just one ability, leading to the "'lil button" play strategy.

Point:  Volt tends to lack intra-ability synergies (the Shock interactions being so forced and artifical that they, while still being mentioned, largely do not factor in).  If you use an ability, that's it.  Ability used.  Basically no effect on any other abilities, attempted interactions notwithstanding.  This creates a view of each skill as it's own entity, and empowers focused build arguements.  Because each of Volt's tools is independant, each is measured by it's own merits AND NOT the merits of other skills; this creating an over-simplified play style that's too shallow for experienced players to spend any real time tinkering with.

Conclusion:  Volt's overly-simple kit and build logic means he's not for veterans looking for significant depth, and the lack of synergy means Meta builds are immediately and observably correct in their assessments.

Point:  Volt lacks an audience, isn't particularly deep, isn't very interesting, and tends to be treated as a 2nd tier 'Frame with specific niches where he works about as well as a top-tier choice (which invariably brings other desirable traits to play, usually counting Volt out).

Conclusion:  DE's rework didn't bring Volt into the modern game, let alone the modern meta.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Volt bad?  No.  He's just not generally useful to the team, and tends to be somewhat trollzy when built for Speed.

Does Volt have a niche?  Maybe.  He's a competent choice for the Hills of Eidolon, with his fishing passive and Electric Shields to deal with Eidolon projectiles.

Does Volt need more work?  YES.  Volt does need a bit more lovin', mostly with an eye toward ability synergy and modding requirements.  He's CLOSE, but not quire there.  Also, needs moar Ball Lightning.

• 1 month later...
On 2018-06-28 at 10:55 PM, Music4Therapy said:

I automatically assume you don't know how to play or are new if you ask for a Volt buff. The dude is a god

Coming back to this thread like 2 years later, and responded it was so long ago that most responding now don't realize volt has since received a lot of love in terms of damage and his kit heaps better the way he is now. Discharge's damage has been almost tripled since.

Also i've been playing since 2013.

Edited by Satinpuppies

On 2018-10-20 at 1:45 PM, Cytobel said:

Point:  I'd say that I have a very solid set of builds for Volt.  The thing is that these builds rely on Primed Mods, Arcanes, and specific Crit/Status guns and their interactions with his ES.  This is a TERRIBLE thing for new players, who have to log in for 400 days to get Primed Vigor (a central mod for my builds), kill Eidolons GALORE to get the 2 stacks of Arcane Barrier I recommend for my main and Overextended builds, and reach a Mastery rank of at LEAST 12 for some of the better weapons (as well as farm up a bunch of Primes that aren't available right now for good weapon variety).

Conclusion:  Volt ain't for new players AT ALL.

Point:  Volt's unique abilities lend him to different builds and build experementation, creating diversity in build logic and allowing for highly varied player experiences with Volt.  Unfortunately, the only builds that see significant play focus on either Speed or Discharge, with Electric Shield being an important player in both (I will note that some other folks seem to have wigged to my Cetus setup focusing on sniping and Electric Shield in a neat bit of parallel build evolution, but this build only works in open world areas).  Focusing on any one ability tends to render another impotent or too expensive to use regularly.

Conclusion:  Volt's modding requirements push highly linear builds that are very focused on just one ability, leading to the "'lil button" play strategy.

Point:  Volt tends to lack intra-ability synergies (the Shock interactions being so forced and artifical that they, while still being mentioned, largely do not factor in).  If you use an ability, that's it.  Ability used.  Basically no effect on any other abilities, attempted interactions notwithstanding.  This creates a view of each skill as it's own entity, and empowers focused build arguements.  Because each of Volt's tools is independant, each is measured by it's own merits AND NOT the merits of other skills; this creating an over-simplified play style that's too shallow for experienced players to spend any real time tinkering with.

Conclusion:  Volt's overly-simple kit and build logic means he's not for veterans looking for significant depth, and the lack of synergy means Meta builds are immediately and observably correct in their assessments.

Point:  Volt lacks an audience, isn't particularly deep, isn't very interesting, and tends to be treated as a 2nd tier 'Frame with specific niches where he works about as well as a top-tier choice (which invariably brings other desirable traits to play, usually counting Volt out).

Conclusion:  DE's rework didn't bring Volt into the modern game, let alone the modern meta.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Volt bad?  No.  He's just not generally useful to the team, and tends to be somewhat trollzy when built for Speed.

Does Volt have a niche?  Maybe.  He's a competent choice for the Hills of Eidolon, with his fishing passive and Electric Shields to deal with Eidolon projectiles.

Does Volt need more work?  YES.  Volt does need a bit more lovin', mostly with an eye toward ability synergy and modding requirements.  He's CLOSE, but not quire there.  Also, needs moar Ball Lightning.

Agreed he also needs his light source mechanic back, but like not as crazy damaging as it used to be. that would be broken.

This thread isn't even relevant to volt anymore, particularly discharge which functions a fair bit differently than when thus thread started.

Start a new thread if you think volt is lacking, no one wants to read 100 pages about largely irrelevant complaints about a skill that works differently now.

Edited by Ohmlink

Nah, guys, it's just not the time. Wait until DEV release a Deluxe (real one this time) skin for Volt, prolly then they will pay some attention to this thread again, or not. In the mean time is Titania and Nyx reworks turn, we will prolly see the results this friday (maybe) on DEV Stream. For now Volt remains as it is, even if his viability not expands beyond Skirmishes and Eidolon hunts. He's still sucks on the long way, his damage is still trash (because of Electricity damage type), and CC is reduced, so real high endgame viability is close to 0 (back in a days when you could Stunlock entire room....). (in my opinion) 

Same as always, Melee 3.0 and Damage 3.0 maybe can change something with it, but....

Edited by Cryone

• 4 weeks later...

It's really really sad that we can't use Hystrix + Electric Shield combination to hunt Profit Taker down, it'll be such a good thing if DE's reconsider this change, it's near impossible to collect all the rainbow damage (for solo/public play), and the new arcanes for the operator (void into elemental damage type) is not one of the wises choices that I personally gonna make.
Anyways, Volt is useful but not essential in the group for the phase 4 Profit Taker extermination, he's capable to clear fast annoying spawns of trash and i suppose with the right loadout can help to combine some damage types. Surely, if you have the pre-maid party you're not suppose to have this kind of problem anyways, just concord what you'll bring on the mission, but it's like losing all the versatility of the ability and there're alot more usefulness to bring other frames into. Anyways, Volt shines on Eidolon hunts, and here he's in kinda ok/meh range, but squishy (i'm not talking about Adaptation/Arcane Grace builds, that can be expensive (for the full set of Arcanes i mean), but for the normal play), and yeah, hope we'll find something useful in the future, especially with the damage 3.0.
Wish you all guys happy holidays and all the best to the DE team, may the inspiration be always with you.

Steve's heart melting tweet.

Spoiler