Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

3 hours ago, Cranial_Enigma said:

Interesting, I've never really liked shocking speed that much, it is reliable CC for melee so I may have to try it out again. I don't think rush is necessary for the build you went with, you can improve your movement and attack speed with more power strength (depending on which mod you use) you can get beyond the movement speed that rush can give. I also think that quick thinking isn't worth it as much for volt unless you have primed flow and rage on (Which you do so its fine). But I would swap out rush for power drift, gives power strength and knock down resistance which is extremely beneficical to volt in a melee build.

If I would swap anything on that build it would be power drift instead of rush, and constitution instead of shock speed, getting knocked down is going to get you murdered and you do not have any good ways in recovering.

This is what I run on my volt right now (ignore the 12 forma on him, I got really bored)

x9yEliS.jpg

In order for Volt's speed to match the increase of rush, he'd need 60% more power strength, so yes, power drift does help, but if you Gotta go faster, rush is better. 

I wasn't able to watch the full stream but from what I could Volt got overlooked, again ;D

Anyway, there are a lot of things going on and considering Volt already had his "rework" it wouldn't be wise to expect DE to tweak him again.

Sometimes it is better to let go, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Cranial_Enigma said:

No mention of him at all in the dev stream.

Well the post had over 40 likes so they must be aware.

They do the same thing with Oberon. They know people want him to be reworked but they don't ever say anything even when people spam "Oberon rework" in the chat

They must be keeping it as a surprise just like with the Oberon Rework

Edited by (PS4)CaptainIMalik

7 hours ago, (PS4)CaptainIMalik said:

Well the post had over 40 likes so they must be aware.

They do the same thing with Oberon. They know people want him to be reworked but they don't ever say anything even when people spam "Oberon rework" in the chat

They must be keeping it as a surprise just like with the Oberon Rework

I hope you don't get disapointed sir.

To me seems more likely that there's a sort of queue, and since Volt just got reworked the likelyhood of a tweak just went to hell.

We can't expect DE to have a perfect game. There are a lot of parameters within Warframe and Volt is certainly one of the entries on the "screwed up" list.

For Shock, I've settled for a combination of my initial suggestion and the current way Shock works, making it possible to cast Shock continuously, but one-handed. It's not supposed to deal a whole lot more damage, although more than if you'd cast Shock over and over again, obviously, but to be useful in synergy with Volt's other abilities. Continuously charging up Electric Shields will yield a nice bonus by proc-ing electricity procs on enemies and continuously firing lightning bolts at tesla-coiled enemies will make for strong (mostly) single-target damage. In combination with hte suggestions for the other abilities I think that, if this suggestion would ever become reality, each ability would have a clear use and decent synergy with the other abilites to be considered good.

On 28/12/2016 at 7:58 PM, KaeseSchnitte said:

Discharge:

• Damage cap removed or increased

Lets turn Volt into another Mirage room lockdown except it gets unlimited damage potential and so it also kills things while at it.

Unneeded and overall would be a bad change, the removal that is, the game doesn't need another perma lockdown ability. The increase... Not really needed either, it would increase the stunlock time if the damage itself wasn't increased, but still, 4k damage stock (if cap is reached before duration ends) + stunlock + damage to incoming enemies and all in a single cast already is plenty..

As a counter to this, I added that Power Duration, or the lack thereof, should have an effect on Discharge's duration. In that, Power Duration would replace Power Strength as limiting factor of Discharge. I already get my 14 second stuns with only 70% strength, it is already enough to lock down entire rooms and it even manages to still kill quite a few enemies. So all in all, not much would change really.

Edited by KaeseSchnitte

Duration already affects it, it's actually damage reduction (element resistances, armor) and enemy dispersion (or grouping) that changes how long an enemy stays locked down. Strength doesn't limit it at all and is a misconception that people get without actually looking through the numbers. Strength ONLY changes how much damage you deal and can deal, it doesn't change how long an enemy stays locked it (it only does if the enemy HP is lower than the cap and dies).

STR increases the damage and damage cap equally because it's a percentage, this means it will always take the same amount of ticks to reach the cap no matter how much or how little STR you have.

Lets put it into numbers and not this is while ignoring damage modifiers.

At 100% STR your damage per tick is 225 and damage cap is 4000. This means it takes 17.7778 ticks to cap it.

At 130% STR the damage per tick will be 292.5 and the damage cap is 5200. 5200 / 292.5 = 17.7778  That means it will take 17.7778 ticks to reach the cap, the same exact number as 100%.

This is because both numbers are being influenced by the same percentage, so their increase will be the "same" and the end result will also be the same. STR does not influence the duration of the stun lock at all, only damage modifiers (more armor = less damage per tick = more ticks needed to reach the cap) and how many enemies are in range of the chaining lightnings, as those count for the cap too (only for enemies affected of course) so groups with lots of enemies will reach the cap faster than enemies that doesn't have any or less enemies in range to chain the lightning to.

So please don't make your STR negative to get higher stun times, you are making your build worse instead.

Duration increases the overall ability timer, but of course it won't matter when enemies reach the cap, for duration to matter it would need to change how ticks work. However, increasing the overall timer means that enemies that resist damage will stay stunned for longer, this is the charm of the ability, if you can't deal the maximum damage potential (which the cap) your energy isn't lost because then the enemy will be stunned for longer instead. Non armor enemies are more likely to reach the cap while armoured enemies are less likely to reach the cap, so you will be dealing more damage to non armor enemies and less to armoured enemies, but armoured enemies will be stunned for longer and if they don't reach the cap, duration will make it so they get stunned for even longer and also take more damage from the ability (if they didn't reach the cap with 10 seconds duration, that means they can take more damage from that cast if the duration is higher).

You could say STR increases damage potential against non armour targets and Duration increases damage potential against armoured targets while also keeping them stunned for longer. Both damage cap and duration are caps to get the ability from being overly broken, and honestly I'd keep as it is as the stunlock is better than turning it into a DPS focused ability.
All in all, get both unless you are doing a max range build (which then it's only fair that you lose stats as a trade).

This all is extremely beneficial as it makes some negative stats not matter as much besides for damage for example, but yes, the increase of the ability isn't linear like others, rather it's more situational in the case of duration.

And yeah, it's rather hard for me to explain how it all works and how much people either miss or misunderstand about Discharge, so it's probably a really mess post.

Also, if it already locks down rooms it doesn't need the cap to be removed. ;D

Edited by God_is_a_Cat_Girl

There are multiple problems with having the cap as limiting factor.

The biggest is that it makes the ability unreliable. Especially in high-level missions, where you rely on enemies being locked down, having an unreliable stun can be potentially more lethal than having no stun at all.

It doesn't reward you for hitting groups of enemies, it even punishes you for it.

In combination with my suggested changes, the cap needs to be gone in order to get the full potential, as casting Shock on a tesla-coiled enemy increases both the damage that enemy deals to itself and to enemies around it for the remaining duration of Discharge.

A capped duration can simply be hard-coded into the ability. If no enemy will ever be stunned for more than 17 seconds, then that can be just as easily achieved by an innate cap and doesn't require a second gating factor.

All in all my intention is not to make the ability last longer, but to make it more reliable amd rewarding if you manage to make many enemies hurt each other.

This is going to be a rarity for me. 

Other than the damage cap on his ult I like Volt where he is. I have loved Volt from him as my starter and I still love him now I really dont think he is in a bad place and with his rework is in a totally great place for me. 

For me he is my go to frame when I am not sure who to play. by all means you can disagree but for me he is in the top 3 frames the ultimate all rounder and more importantly fun. 

I also don't think that Volt is weak. If you read my suggestion you can see that I've only proposed changes to the damage cap of Discharge. Every other ability just got an upgrade. I like where Volt is right now, but I think he can be better. He certainly has some weaknesses in high-level missions, since any enemy that gets past his shield and his stuns is basically oneshotting him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 7:15 AM, (PS4)CaptainIMalik said:

Would you keep the concept of a shield? 

When you go to his Shield you have the option to pick it up. Rather one option. There is a second option. Wear it like a armor and become the incarnation of electricity. All stats are increased like armor with a increase of 600+ (this synergies with regular Volt having the lowest armor in the game) and you can chain lightning just by being near them for enemies at a similar distance like Shock

i prefe riot shield than armor increase, armor increase still take damage, if i pick up shield and enemy attack me from in front of me i take no damage

15 hours ago, FitzSimmons said:

i prefe riot shield than armor increase, armor increase still take damage, if i pick up shield and enemy attack me from in front of me i take no damage

The main idea is that I really like the interactivity with the shield so I was trying to expand it

What if you could drain the damage that the shield takes like Infamous? You press a differrnt button, and the damage the shield takes you can drain that will give some sort of effect. I.e damage reduction, health or shield regen

IDK, I would like to see this expanded 

Any thoughts or ideas? What if you could reflect damage when pressing X button

Edited by (PS4)CaptainIMalik

4 hours ago, (PS4)CaptainIMalik said:

Any thoughts or ideas? What if you could reflect damage when pressing X button

my only idea for now is on combination of shield and shock, by default if you shoot through shield it boost 50% electric damage, with shock casted on shield if you put shock trooper augment on your build it makes electric shield boosts 150% damage from default 50% + from shock trooper 100%. and the bonus damage from shock trooper is scales with volt's power strength. that will make him really a warframe that enhance weapons. "synergy" right? besides, that way volt can take advantage of his shock trooper as well, not just allies.

and for shield pick up its better to have the size still as big as the original just like overwatch/paladins's tank fernando. its going to be really useful for hijack and sortie defense

if u want some defensive improvement, we should put it on Speed, give dodge treatment on Speed that works like mirage's Hall of Mirrors, Hall of Mirrors distracts and confuses enemies, but with Speed you need to keep moving, more power strength on volt will makes enemies miss their shot because, you know....he is too fast for them, zooming will reduce the dodge. 

because volt is...."you can do it? i can do it as well" warframe

Edited by FitzSimmons

5 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

You can do it? I can do it crappyer.

umm not really? take frost, can he defense anything inside globe with AoE? nope. how long globe will last against 10 heavy unit that keep attacking the globe without recasting it over and over? well i introduce you to my electric shield. doesnt matter what level the enemies are or how high their damage is, its an invulnerable shield. oh dont forget about the bonus damage for critical type weapon. good defense while doing good offense :) 

what else? frost avalanche? i introduce you to my discharge, not just stunning i can regen my shield to overshield as well with my augment, so much better, delicious, more enemies = better regen :) 

what else? i can say more if i want to. 

1 hour ago, FitzSimmons said:

can he defense anything inside globe with AoE? nope.

IIRC when volt received that function he received it too. And Frost Avalanche is much better than Discharge and doesn't even need mods to work. Go read on the wiki how much stuff does that ability do, and do you know that Discharge lasts always around 10 seconds or less depending on how much enemies are affected?

Edited by giovanniluca