Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework Feedback [Post Update 18.13]

Satinpuppies

2 minutes ago, TheSketchDevice said:

You disagree with my personal experience in the actual game with my main Warframe. OK. Good for you then.

Needless to say I regret posting in this thread. Don't quote me again. I'll be enjoying Volt in the meantime.

Your main... So what? You're still ignorant and being rude to people without even considering what they're saying or presenting a counter argument. Turns out I have 3 times as many hours on Volt than you do, I've also done 8 hour long runs with Volt. None of which is relevant, I like many (hopefully most) others understand the mechanics of Discharge and why it's worthless as CC. This might also be why nobody ever uses it, and why volt is never, ever considered for the role of CC in any situation that requires it. But no, we're all wrong because you say so.

Just now, Mudfam said:

Your main... So what? You're still ignorant and being rude to people without even considering what they're saying or presenting a counter argument. Turns out I have 3 times as many hours on Volt than you do, I've also done 8 hour long runs with Volt. None of which is relevant, I like many (hopefully most) others understand the mechanics of Discharge and why it's worthless as CC. This might also be why nobody ever uses it, and why volt is never, ever considered for the role of CC in any situation that requires it. But no, we're all wrong because you say so.

Sorry, man. I said my piece earlier in the thread in response to another guy. If you really want, you can go read it. I'm sure you'll disagree.

Just now, TheSketchDevice said:

Sorry, man. I said my piece earlier in the thread in response to another guy. If you really want, you can go read it. I'm sure you'll disagree.

Fair enough, I did jump in late in the discussion and didn't see what was said before, I just reacted to that particular post, which wasn't the best thing to do either.

The problems with discharge are something that we've been complaining about for some time and occasionally someone does come along and just claim that the problem doesn't even exist. I love volt and I wish his 4 could be a more useful part of his kit.

6 minutes ago, Mudfam said:

Fair enough, I did jump in late in the discussion and didn't see what was said before, I just reacted to that particular post, which wasn't the best thing to do either.

The problems with discharge are something that we've been complaining about for some time and occasionally someone does come along and just claim that the problem doesn't even exist. I love volt and I wish his 4 could be a more useful part of his kit.

I apologize for being a stick in the mud earlier. Edit: No pun intended on your name lol

I understand why you'd want him to be better since you're a big Volt enthusiast. It's not that the problems people have with it don't exist. Most of what people is about discharge has some truth to it. I just perceive them as more of balancing mechanics or minor inconveniences at most. I would never say no to buffs of Volt's 4, but it feels okay as is in my opinion.

Edited by TheSketchDevice

The problem with Volt's revork is that's a bag of hot air and no more: a lot of fanfare, tons of discussions, suggestions and very specific requests for QoL fixes to the devs and they wasted time with the riot shield" mode of electric shield and opt-in or opt-out for Speed...

None of the actual problems were solved, Discharge is bugged as hell and extremely conterintuitive to mod for, his passive is definitely bad and in fact 80% of his kit is out of theme for an electric based frame...

For more on the argument search my previous posts in this thred and others

3 minutes ago, TheSketchDevice said:

I understand why you'd want him to be better since you're a big Volt enthusiast. It's not that the problems people have with it don't exist. Most of what people is about discharge has some truth to it. I just perceive them as more of balancing mechanics or minor inconveniences at most. I would never say no to buffs of Volt's 4, but it feels okay as is in my opinion.

I think it needs a fix, not a buff. I'd even be happy with a nerf if it actually did what it claims to do. If it did even just 4 seconds of guaranteed CC it would be an ability I could use to get out of a sticky situation, but as it is it's just really dangerous and doesn't make any sense.

I'm pretty sure what happened is balancing gone mechanically wrong. You have this ability that shocks people, and they shock eachother, they are stunned and they damage eachother. But, that sounds too powerful, so let's cap the damage. Oops, now enemies that shock eachother reach that cap faster, and when they do they break free of the CC. Damage cap / damage per second = 9 seconds, always, regardless of duration or strength mods. More enemies = more divided bys, > 9 enemies means < 1 second duration (1 sec is the cast time). I feel certain that the damage cap was added as an afterthought, it completely broke the ability's mechanics but it was just left in this broken state. Deadlines? I don't know. Amen.

5 minutes ago, Mudfam said:

I think it needs a fix, not a buff. I'd even be happy with a nerf if it actually did what it claims to do. If it did even just 4 seconds of guaranteed CC it would be an ability I could use to get out of a sticky situation, but as it is it's just really dangerous and doesn't make any sense.

I'm pretty sure what happened is balancing gone mechanically wrong. You have this ability that shocks people, and they shock eachother, they are stunned and they damage eachother. But, that sounds too powerful, so let's cap the damage. Oops, now enemies that shock eachother reach that cap faster, and when they do they break free of the CC. Damage cap / damage per second = 9 seconds, always, regardless of duration or strength mods. More enemies = more divided bys, > 9 enemies means < 1 second duration (1 sec is the cast time). I feel certain that the damage cap was added as an afterthought, it completely broke the ability's mechanics but it was just left in this broken state. Deadlines? I don't know. Amen.

I see you have a lot of stats and numbers to back you up, but I just fail to see the proof of those numbers in game. I don't see discharge lasting these abysmal lengths that you're stating. I'm not really much of a numbers guy, and sorry if I'm missing something really obvious, but I'm just not seeing any connection between your numbers and my experience in game.

7 minutes ago, TheSketchDevice said:

I see you have a lot of stats and numbers to back you up, but I just fail to see the proof of those numbers in game. I don't see discharge lasting these abysmal lengths that you're stating. I'm not really much of a numbers guy, and sorry if I'm missing something really obvious, but I'm just not seeing any connection between your numbers and my experience in game.

Look, the ult lasts 10 seconds at max regardless of duration, if there are 10 enemies together the ult lasts 1 second, if they have some armor it may last more.

19 hours ago, Mudfam said:

19 hours ago, giovanniluca said:

Look, the ult lasts 10 seconds at max regardless of duration, if there are 10 enemies together the ult lasts 1 second, if they have some armor it may last more.

I don't normally do testing outside of actual missions but for my own sanity I hopped in the simulacrum to see what you guys are talking about.

-Used on a single target without armor, the stun stops after 11-16 seconds 

-Used on a big group of 10 bunched up armorless enemies, the stun stops are 5-6 seconds.

-Against a single high armor Grineer, the stun lasts the duration of the ability.

-Against a group of 10 high armor Grineer, the stun stops after 16-20 seconds.

I'm sure you guys have done your own testing with different results and someone might assume I'm just ignorant or did something wrong in my tests.

The length of the stun is pretty inconsistent, which is a complaint I have definitely seen. You've got me there. What I haven't seen is one second stuns on groups of 9/10 enemies or 9/10 second stuns on single enemies. I will concede that against unarmored enemies, the damage cap takes away a lot of Volt's CC potential. Against high level armored enemies, he possesses possibly the most effective CC in the game. In a perfect world, we always have a full group of corrosive projections all the time, but that's pretty much never the case for me. Beyond the ult, in my opinion, electric shield is one of the best abilities in the game. I would never say no to a more forgiving damage cap, as it would only make Volt more fun, but I will stand by this statement: Volt has a fair role in the game that allows him to be fun and effective in several situations, but not everything. I will take any changes DE ever makes to him in stride and continue to use him, but I will not wish for or ask for any changes as I feel he is in an acceptable place. 

On 6/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, giovanniluca said:

Volt is clearly the worst buffer together with Titania, Octavia does everything better(not speed)and does damage too, what's the use of placing a shield if the whole squad goes invisible and the enemies kill themselves.

how often players team up with a squad where everyone go invisible/enemies kill themselves? 

On 7/22/2017 at 4:40 PM, TheSketchDevice said:

It's one of those things that you'd have to test in game. As you stated in a later post, it's highly effective against heavily Armored targets. However: The range of this ability is deceptive due to the fact it spreads. Against the infested, it'll shock a massive amount of enemies very quickly and you'll reach the damage cap incredibly fast. Same to a degree vs the corpus, but they do have nullifiers.

That said, I'm still of the belief that Volt is in a great spot balance wise.

27 minutes ago, FitzSimmons said:

how often players team up with a squad where everyone go invisible/enemies kill themselves?

What kind of question is that, if it's possible to happen it will happen. It's not a case of statistics there. A "But maybe it won't happen" doesn't fix the problem.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:00 PM, Cryone said:

So Shield augment is out. Suddenly it's quite a thing that could change a bit something but nothing. Still kinda dissapointment, yeah it gives you almost instant 1000 bonus damage based on damage absorbtion ecc., but the big problem is that it's still does nothing. Still better have a mod slot for Capacitance.

wrong, it does nothing if u only test it against armored enemies, it deals a lot of dmg against other factions with no armor. 

14 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

What kind of question is that, if it's possible to happen it will happen. It's not a case of statistics there. A "But maybe it won't happen" doesn't fix the problem.

statistic matter, if its not likely to happen then its not a big deal, besides every time i play survival even with an invisible type of warframe in my squad they still use my shield for damage boost. and most of the time volt users placing a shield for themselves not teammate, just because a warframe has 1-2 abilities to buff doesnt mean its purpose is to live as a buffer

2 minutes ago, FitzSimmons said:

statistic matter, if its not likely to happen then its not a big deal, besides every time i play survival even with an invisible type of warframe in my squad they still use my shield for damage boost. and most of the time volt users placing a shield for themselves not teammate, just because a warframe has 1-2 abilities to buff doesnt mean its purpose is to live as a buffer

Yes but when you see a Octavia dropping a 700% damage bonus area with multishot and invisibility and selfkilling enemies you realize how minor Volt's kit is, because caps on Volt but not on other stuff, and shield doesn't scale with power strenght because reasons.

16 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

Yes but when you see a Octavia dropping a 700% damage bonus area with multishot and invisibility and selfkilling enemies you realize how minor Volt's kit is, because caps on Volt but not on other stuff, and shield doesn't scale with power strenght because reasons.

and i need to follow octavia's rythm to activate the buffs? no thank you. i need to be invisible but i need to do squat repetition...ughh complicated....so thanks but no thanks, im fine hiding behind my shield with double crit dmg

Edited by FitzSimmons

1 minute ago, FitzSimmons said:

and i need to follow octavia's rythm to activate the buffs? no thank you. i need to be invisible but i need to do squat repetition...ughh complicated....so thanks but no thanks, im fine hiding behind my shield with double crit dmg

You don't need to follow rythm to get the 700% damage buff, the only thing you have to do to stay invisible is to randomly press ctrl, you can avoid the multishot if you wish since the 700% buff is already massive.

11 minutes ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

since when is octavia the benchmark for frame balance?!

Right? Octavia has the most overloaded kit in warframe. Throw out ball, ball deals absurd scaling damage, Octavia mashes ctrl. GG. You can remove every other part of Octavia's kit, refreshable stealth and infinitely scaling damage would be enough to make her top tier.

24 minutes ago, Kotsender_Quasimir said:

since when is octavia the benchmark for frame balance?!

It's kinda the best buffer and also dps or one of them, also you gotta compare stuff to other stuff to say if it's underpowered and Octavia brings stuff Volt offers but way better.

2 hours ago, giovanniluca said:

You don't need to follow rythm to get the 700% damage buff, the only thing you have to do to stay invisible is to randomly press ctrl, you can avoid the multishot if you wish since the 700% buff is already massive.

why would i buy good looking skin if i have to be invisible all the time in mission? :V besides every warframe can invis on their own now and with better way than randomly squat 

29 minutes ago, giovanniluca said:

It's kinda the best buffer and also dps or one of them, also you gotta compare stuff to other stuff to say if it's underpowered and Octavia brings stuff Volt offers but way better

octavia is pure buffer, built to buffs player and allies. Volt is a versatile warrior, like i said, if a warframe has 1-2 abilities that buff doesn't mean it's a buffer, you missed the point, compare something that meant to be a buffer with something that meant to be a buffer as well. Volt is never meant to be a buffer. if you want to compare volt's buff compare it with rhino, rhino and volt are alike, they're not a buffer but 1-2 of their powers buffs allies by coincidence. all of their power is meant to be focused on themselves not allies while octavia powers are meant for allies, used by allies. you should understand the standard of comparing things before you start to compare things

I mean, as far as buffing goes there aren't many frames you can place ahead of Volt. 

Max Power Strength buff build on Volt would be able to greatly increase melee and reload speeds, provide atleast a 299% damage buff via his 1 augment, and additional 300% electric damage from shield stacking, then double crit damage when firing through shield. Pretty hard to beat that.

Lol, throw in a Harrow double the damage of those massive red crits.

Edited by Music4Therapy