The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buff The Kraken, Or Nerf The Kunai

cary2010haha

I hardly even use my Kunai because I find other weapons better...

The only time I found Kunai worth using was when I was leveling them...

The moment I did...I really have not used them sense...

This just means you don't know how to tell what is good.

My Latron Prime does the same...oh dear should we nerf that as well?

My Dread can one shot level 50 Ancients without getting a headshot...oh should we nerf that as well?

My Lato Vandal rips Ancients and infested to shreds and oneshots Grineer and Corpus...

Should we nerf that as well...?

Don't even get me started on my Crit Build Braton Vandal...

Maybe once latron prime has innate armor ignore, 3x damage to non ancient infested, and is a secondary (and can thus use hornet strike and all the other more effective and cheaper mods pistols have).

Yeah, dread can do that, but the kunai will kill that ancient faster.

Lato vandal lol.  why would you even bring that up?  It has almost half the base damage and none of benefits that the kunai have.

Crit build Vandal lol.  Not sure if that's even worth addressing.

Edited by Aggh

This just means you don't know how to tell what is good.

Maybe once latron prime has innate armor ignore, 3x damage to non ancient infested, and is a secondary (and can thus use hornet strike and all the other more effective and cheaper mods pistols have).

Yeah, dread can do that, but the kunai will kill that ancient faster.

Lato vandal lol.  why would you even bring that up?  It has almost half the base damage and none of benefits that the kunai have.

Kunai are amazing...I'm just not crazy like the rest of you and make it a pretentious matter...I just know that Dread is better than Kunai...

Kunai do have armor ignore...

They don't have 3x damage vs infested your pretty dumb for thinking that they do...

Kunai are amazing...I'm just not crazy like the rest of you and make it a pretentious matter...I just know that Dread is better than Kunai...

Kunai do have armor ignore...

They don't have 3x damage vs infested your pretty dumb for thinking that they do...

Ok, I'm dumb.  Now please tell my how kunai and dread don't outclass just about every weapon in the game?  Because the reasoning you provided for latron prime and the like were a little lacking.

Edited by Aggh

Ok, I'm dumb.  Now please tell my how kunai and dread don't outclass just about every weapon in the game?  Because the reasoning you provided for latron prime and the like were a little lacking.

Dread hardly outclasses anything in this game...despite being fast it is still only a support bow-type weapon that is good for taking out one target at a time with careful planning and precision...compared to something like the HEK BOAR or Braton Vandal the Dread cannot keep up with weapons like that due to its slow nature...

Kunai...they are great weapons but far from making other weapons trivial...

The only time they are able to truly shine is when an opponent is foolish enough to stand still, not to mention you must calculate the trajectory required to land a headshot to successfully one shot an opponent, the Kunai are easily dodged even by enemies walking to the left or right at the slowest of speeds. The slightest movement from them can completely cause you to miss an entire clip of Kunai. Kunai are great on big targets due to their armor ignoring nature, so Ancients are a cinch, but for smaller targets like Ospreys or fast creatures like charges they will do poorly...

Kunai are terrible in close quarters combat due to the way they are launched from the hand...if you ever had a Charger successfully close in on you and begin to circle you then you'd know you'd have an easier time killing them with a pistol than you would Kunai/Despair due to the way they are thrown.

The only reason it even seems easy is because the enemies hardly move...try Kunai against the Stalker, who will never stop moving and you will see that Kunai are really not that great...

The $&*&*#(%& A.I. in this game is the problem...all of them are just mini bullet sponges...

Whenever you fight clever enemies like the Stalker who wont ever approach you in a straight line do you begin to see the Kunai's faults...

It's not overpowered...we are just facing a bunch of meaningless idiots who don't think.. 

Edited by Ystella

Dread hardly outclasses anything in this game...despite being fast it is still only a support bow-type weapon that is good for taking out one target at a time with careful planning and precision...compared to something like the HEK BOAR or Braton Vandal the Dread cannot keep up with weapons like that due to its slow nature...

Kunai...they are great weapons but far from making other weapons trivial...

The only time they are able to truly shine is when an opponent is foolish enough to stand still, not to mention you must calculate the trajectory required to land a headshot to successfully one shot an opponent, the Kunai are easily dodged even by enemies walking to the left or right at the slowest of speeds. The slightest movement from them can completely cause you to miss an entire clip of Kunai. Kunai are great on big targets due to their armor ignoring nature, so Ancients are a cinch, but for smaller targets like Ospreys or fast creatures like charges they will do poorly...

Kunai are terrible in close quarters combat due to the way they are launched from the hand...if you ever had a Charger successfully close in on you and begin to circle you then you'd know you'd have an easier time killing them with a pistol than you would Kunai/Despair due to the way they are thrown.

The only reason it even seems easy is because the enemies hardly move...try Kunai against the Stalker, who will never stop moving and you will see that Kunai are really not that great...

The $&*&*#(%& A.I. in this game is the problem...all of them are just mini bullet sponges...

Whenever you fight clever enemies like the Stalker who wont ever approach you in a straight line do you begin to see the Kunai's faults...

It's not overpowered...we are just facing a bunch of meaningless idiots who don't think.. 

So basically it's not OP because you can't compensate for practically negligible projectile drop.  Sorry, but that's not the case with most people.

Edited by Aggh

So basically it's not OP because you can't compensate for practically negligible projectile drop.  Sorry, but that's not the case with most people.

It's not OP because it is not omnipotent...

It is only OP to everyone because of the fact that it can sandbag...

Face it...I've just proved you wrong and you're out of ways to counter me so you resort to this half-baked post without any way to counter me...

If it has weaknesses as severe as this...it's not overpowered at all...

The Kraken can handle every situation in this game with relative easy...Kunai cannot...

Have a nice day...this debate was lovely...

Good day to you sir or madam...

Edited by Ystella

It's not OP because it is not omnipotent...

It is only OP to everyone because of the fact that it can sandbag...

Face it...I've just proved you wrong and you're out of ways to counter me so you resort to this half-baked post without any way to counter me...

If it has weaknesses as severe as this...it's not overpowered at all...

The Kraken can handle every situation in this game with relative easy...Kunai cannot...

Have a nice day...this debate was lovely...

Good day to you sir or madam...

You've proved me wrong by telling me that you can't use one of the easiest weapons in the game properly.  Okay.

Good god, having to aim a little bit above your target clearly balances out fully automatic 45 base damage and armor ignore.

Edited by Aggh

My Latron Prime does the same...oh dear should we nerf that as well?

My Dread can one shot level 50 Ancients without getting a headshot...oh should we nerf that as well?

My Lato Vandal rips Ancients and infested to shreds and oneshots Grineer and Corpus...

Should we nerf that as well...?

Don't even get me started on my Crit Build Braton Vandal...

Why are you talking about primary weapons... I'm saying that there is no reason to use other weapons, i mean kunai are the best secoundary by far. They should be more balanced, thats what im saying.. BTW, no need to be so mean D:

You've proved me wrong by telling me that you can't use one of the easiest weapons in the game properly.  Okay.

Lol what no...pointing out the weaknesses of a weapon does not mean I am unable to use it...

Please...enough of the childish antics...either give a real response or please do not waste my time...

You're one of the lucky ones who I've decided to take seriously...

Why are you talking about primary weapons... I'm saying that there is no reason to use other weapons, i mean kunai are the best secoundary by far. They should be more balanced, thats what im saying.. BTW, no need to be so mean D:

Guess what...?

Pistols are better than rifles...Pistols have the best mods in the game...

Pistols are basically the best when fully modded...

That is why I've compared them to primaries...

Also, I'm not mean...I'm just sarcastic and blunt...if that offends you I am terribly sorry...that is just a part of who I am...

The main balance problem with Kunai/Despair is that they come pre-slotted with 2 V polarities. With catalyst installed they can support max Hornet Strike, Barrel Diffusion, Gunslinger, and all max elements with 0 extra mod space.

Compare that to my poor old bro Akbolto who the gods saw fit to curse with a single D slot at birth. After Orthos, my Akbolto is the next thing I'm polarizing with, you guessed it, double Vs.

We'll see who's OP after that little venture.

The main balance problem with Kunai/Despair is that they come pre-slotted with 2 V polarities. With catalyst installed they can support max Hornet Strike, Barrel Diffusion, Gunslinger, and all max elements with 0 extra mod space.

Compare that to my poor old bro Akbolto who the gods saw fit to curse with a single D slot at birth. After Orthos, my Akbolto is the next thing I'm polarizing with, you guessed it, double Vs.

We'll see who's OP after that little venture.

It's basically the polarities that even allow them to be that powerful...

If all other weapons had two V's...the knives would be nothing special...

It's basically the polarities that even allow them to be that powerful...

If all other weapons had two V's...the knives would be nothing special...

If Akbolto had double Vs at birth I think I might have sold my Despair BP the moment I got it. It was good for mastery, and they are pretty swag, but it killed me that I had to shelve my dual flintlock pistols for the newb knives.

Double V has shown me the path to true power, and I look forward to holstering my favorite sidearm once more.

THANK YOU! This is what i ment, they really need to be nerfed! I love them becuase they give such a ninja feel, but it kills eveything, EVERYTHING, instantly!

Low-level crap, sure.

But try to bring them to something like a Void III and tell me that they "kill everything".

I thought the same thing about the Despair when I started using them.

On Mars or Earth, nearly anything dies in one or two shots.

But then an Alert popped and I was suddenly facing down stuff that didn't die in one throw... I quickly started seeing the kunai/despair's weaknesses. They're not the easiest things to aim when you actually care about getting hit when things can actually hurt you. Also, when things move around, a couple misses can be costly when you're taking damage that actually matters.

Also, that armor ignore? Well that's nice and all, but you still need headshots to get the REAL damage and that's not the easiest thing to do. And then, there's the fact when you start needing 3, 4 knives per enemy, ammo starts running short after awhile.

And when you go to higher level areas, the heavy gunners laugh at your puny little knives while spinning their gorgons up.

The Kunai are awesome assassination weapons, but they're not something you want to bring to.......haha.....a gun fight.

Also, long-range sniping is.... not very effective with them.

And RE:Kraken: Kraken is already a powerful gun. Moreso than most actual pistols. Once you get the hang of the aiming, it is superior to the Lato in most situations, and it conserves ammo much better than Vipers or Furis.

The only bad thing is you can't dual-wield them, but that would be rather unwieldly, as it already takes so freaking long to reload one. Kraken puts out high DPS in short bursts, it can be a good gun under the right situations. I'm not really sure it needs much of a buff.

Edited by Xylia

The fact that you think it's actually a meaningful weakness indicates otherwise.

You asked me to tell you how Kunai are not overpowered...

I did...and now that I've done it you insult me...?

Typical for the loser of an internet debate...

I'm done with you...

You're not worth the effort...you call me bad because I know the weaknesses of the weapons I possess...?

By knowing the weakness of Kunai I can use them far more effectively than you ever could...especially since you did not know their weakness...

If knowing the weakness of a weapon means I'm terrible...then this world is really more pitiful than I thought...

I truly am done with you...people like you do anything for a low blow or a last meaningless attempt to save face or appear to be the victor...

Edited by Ystella

Kraken has needed a buff for a LONG time.  Don't nerf the kunai, they are actually fun to use.  Kraken isn't fun in late game and NEEDS a buff.

I think all burst fire weapons should have the option for RoF mods to affect the speed of the burst more than the rof rate (the reverse of what it currently does).  If we could do that, the burst of the Kraken (and the Burston and the Sicarus) could be made super accurate, with almost all rounds of a burst hitting the same spot.  

There, now the Kraken can properly snipe and isn't S#&$ compared to everything else.

Low-level crap, sure.

But try to bring them to something like a Void III and tell me that they "kill everything".

I thought the same thing about the Despair when I started using them.

On Mars or Earth, nearly anything dies in one or two shots.

But then an Alert popped and I was suddenly facing down stuff that didn't die in one throw... I quickly started seeing the kunai/despair's weaknesses. They're not the easiest things to aim when you actually care about getting hit when things can actually hurt you. Also, when things move around, a couple misses can be costly when you're taking damage that actually matters.

Also, that armor ignore? Well that's nice and all, but you still need headshots to get the REAL damage and that's not the easiest thing to do. And then, there's the fact when you start needing 3, 4 knives per enemy, ammo starts running short after awhile.

And when you go to higher level areas, the heavy gunners laugh at your puny little knives while spinning their gorgons up.

The Kunai are awesome assassination weapons, but they're not something you want to bring to.......haha.....a gun fight.

Also, long-range sniping is.... not very effective with them.

And RE:Kraken: Kraken is already a powerful gun. Moreso than most actual pistols. Once you get the hang of the aiming, it is superior to the Lato in most situations, and it conserves ammo much better than Vipers or Furis.

The only bad thing is you can't dual-wield them, but that would be rather unwieldly, as it already takes so freaking long to reload one. Kraken puts out high DPS in short bursts, it can be a good gun under the right situations. I'm not really sure it needs much of a buff.

yoou don't understand if kunia/dispair with shock mod can own a 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 level heavygunner by doing it's 100% base damage, but kraken can only do max 30% AP mod damge to it(and the fire rate of karken with shock mod can't totally stop it's gorgon)

yoou don't understand if kunia/dispair with shock mod can own a 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 level heavygunner by doing it's 100% base damage, but kraken can only do max 30% AP mod damge to it(and the fire rate of karken with shock mod can't totally stop it's gorgon)

Damage vs utility...

Kraken can handle any situation whereas Kunai cannot.

By that logic, we can easily say that a Kunai with maxed mods is near-useless against anything that moves fast and is hard to hit unless you just LOL SPAM knives in every direction, which will make you run out of ammo very fast.

The Kraken, however, with some controlled firing will hit nearly anything at least once thanks to the fact it is a Hitscan weapon.

You still do nice damage even on Heavy Gunners, but you can ALSO hit Infested Chargers. Stick an Ice Mod on a Kraken to increase your chances of hitting it twice (first shot slows it down, the second will probably land too). As long as your aim doesn't suck, the first shot is a guaranteed hit. The second will probably hit too. Every now and then I miss the 2nd shot because I aimed a little too high.

Meanwhile you gotta whip whip whip whip blades hoping you hit something when you get a pack of chargers running at you. Or, worse yet, trying to hit a shield osprey in motion. When they stop, yeah, easy. But when they're flying around the room trying to AVOID getting hit, I hate trying to tag one with a Kunai. Not exactly easy. Can't say I ever had trouble hitting it with my Kraken, though.

Such is the joy of a Hitscan weapon.

Damage vs utility...

i don't think a kraken can handle a wave 50+ varror grineer lancer in one clip, two clip, three clip?

how utility it can be?

How good do you think those Kunai are on Wave50+ chargers and runners?

By that logic, we can easily say that a Kunai with maxed mods is near-useless against anything that moves fast and is hard to hit unless you just LOL SPAM knives in every direction, which will make you run out of ammo very fast.

The Kraken, however, with some controlled firing will hit nearly anything at least once thanks to the fact it is a Hitscan weapon.

You still do nice damage even on Heavy Gunners, but you can ALSO hit Infested Chargers. Stick an Ice Mod on a Kraken to increase your chances of hitting it twice (first shot slows it down, the second will probably land too). As long as your aim doesn't suck, the first shot is a guaranteed hit. The second will probably hit too. Every now and then I miss the 2nd shot because I aimed a little too high.

Meanwhile you gotta whip whip whip whip blades hoping you hit something when you get a pack of chargers running at you. Or, worse yet, trying to hit a shield osprey in motion. When they stop, yeah, easy. But when they're flying around the room trying to AVOID getting hit, I hate trying to tag one with a Kunai. Not exactly easy. Can't say I ever had trouble hitting it with my Kraken, though.

Such is the joy of a Hitscan weapon.

i don't think in game have something faster than roller, and i see many player can hit roller by use kunia. In long range, AI always trying to get cover, and Kunia's 100% accuracy is very very easy to score a hit(even headshot)

Edited by Cary2010haha