Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should a New Members' / Players' Help Chat room be added to the game?

Rhekemi

Speaking from my own experience as a Comm Mod, a Guide AND simply a dude who has been playing for years - No. A newbie chat wouldn't accomplish anything useful that Region isn't already doing.

What we ACTUALLY need is an early game that can properly set players up for success.

Do you realize how ridiculous it is that I have to double and triple check with each new player I meet to MAKE SURE they know how mods work and where to use them?

Do you realize how boring it is to finish Vor's Prize and be given no suggestions or goals by the game?

These poor buggers have to contend with just how much nothing there is at the beginning point.

One of the ONLY saving graces of our current community climate is just how many Vets there are who are willing to answer the short questions in region - which is hit and miss because this is an online game and players tend to act like middle schoolers towards each other with no warning.

A newbie chat wouldn't accomplish anything useful that Region isn't already doing.

Even if it has a chance at mediating this?

which is hit and miss because this is an online game and players tend to act like middle schoolers towards each other with no warning.

A Player's help chat, with some kind of entry level checks and balances for those who need help (MR 8 and below) and those who give it (an application of some kind, and not Telluric's GoTL suggestion--not everyone will want to be one**) could actually make it more useful than region. 

Region also being locked for MR5 and below probably wouldn't hurt their game at all.

Once players have advanced more, they'd be mature (in game hours) enough to merge into the region streams.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:32 PM, Blatantfool said:

What we ACTUALLY need is an early game that can properly set players up for success.

One of the ONLY saving graces of our current community climate is just how many Vets there are who are willing to answer the short questions in region 

Indeed. The new player experience is thin. Tutorials and more in-game tool-tips are sorely needed. 

But your post suggests we need one or the other. Why not both? If region can only serve its purpose some of the time, and a new chat can be added with better restrictions (because good luck trying to restrict region in its current form/I don't advocate that: leave older players their watercooler space), why not?

In-depth and advanced tutorials, campaigns designed to guide new players as they progress seems like a great idea, and one that will be implemented eventually. When? It's a concern for DE, clearly, but I can't say when they'd get around to devoting the resources and hours of work to it.

Coding another chat channel, however, would seem easier in my estimation. We've already received quite a number of UI and chat upgrades, changes.

My point is this: addressing the new player experience with this short-term, more immediate solution doesn't negate the need for or implementation of a long-term solution (in-depth and advanced tutorials, more tool-tips, campaigns that guide). It can only become another region if the system allows it to, or if the players let it.

Will outline something eventually (with points and ideas gleaned from this thread and reddit).

__

**Many of us like helping players, but becoming a GoTL does not appeal to us. Nothing against the group. My reasons are due to my time constraints and not needing to feel obligated in a space I primarily come to chill. No idea if that would change, but at this time (and for the year + I've been playing) my feelings about it remain the same.

Helping players and being a GoTL aren't inextricably linked. One can help players without being a Guide.

Edited by Rhekemi

Yeah, that's how these things go sometimes.

The poll in this topic, the presentation and cross-posting it to the WF subreddit helped the idea gain traction.

I'll keep your thread in mind when making the "final" suggestion topic for feedback.

On 03/06/2016 at 3:32 AM, Blatantfool said:

Speaking from my own experience as a Comm Mod, a Guide AND simply a dude who has been playing for years - No. A newbie chat wouldn't accomplish anything useful that Region isn't already doing.

Do you realize how ridiculous it is that I have to double and triple check with each new player I meet to MAKE SURE they know how mods work and where to use them?

Do you realize how boring it is to finish Vor's Prize and be given no suggestions or goals by the game?

These poor buggers have to contend with just how much nothing there is at the beginning point.

One of the ONLY saving graces of our current community climate is just how many Vets there are who are willing to answer the short questions in region - which is hit and miss because this is an online game and players tend to act like middle schoolers towards each other with no warning.

I agree. From a console perspective. Another chat would see many newcomers swallowed up by the 'how do I get platinum' brigade or 'I'm new, give me a prime set' posse. I think more help in game is what is required, although I have acquired all my knowledge thus far through the internet, wiki and my clan. Even though I am only MR5 I sometimes scan region chat and head off to see baby Vor again and I know others do too. However independent research can achieve the required aim.

Still remember realising that fusion cores rank up mods. Was wondering for days what the hell I had them for.

whats to stop trolling and all the region nonsense in this new chat ive seen fight break out in trade and recruiting. What new players need is to be told find a clan they wil get far more help and support from players who want them than ones who want to take advantage of them in a chat tab.