The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pushing the Spear Primary Concept Even Further: Primary and Melee

ROSING

So I really dig the whole throwing spear concept. I think it also has the potential to even be used as a melee weapon.

The community has long pushed for a spear type melee weapon, and this had the perfect potential to be used as such. But how would you equip this weapon in your arsenal?

Here's how the concept would work.

You can equip it into both slots; this will be unique in that a single weapon will be able to take up two spaces. What is the point of this? It will allow you to put different mods on the weapon for each slot. In this way, you can mod the thrown/beam function different from the melee function, so as to prevent one function from restricting the other.

This will mean that if you don't equip the weapon in the melee slot, you won't be able to use it as a melee weapon, and the opposite is true for the primary slot, but I don't think this is too huge of an issue; in fact it will mean that for players who don't want to use it one function or another, they're allowed to choose another weapon in that category as they like. You can even have some of the functions meld into each other, like the charge attack of the spear being a strong throw, so you don't completely lose the other function.

What's exciting about this concept is that there are already several other weapons in the game with the potential for this kind of expansion: picture having the redeemer equipable as a primary to give you a faster rate of fire (with perhaps less damage per shot, I suppose), or making a new type of gunblade stance for the akjagara (come on, you know you want those blades to do more than just reload your weapon), and this could even solve the problem of having to choose between modding your glaive for throwing and modding it for actual melee usage (note: this is a BIG problem I have with throwing weapons). We've already pushed the envelope with weapons that fulfill more than one function, but this can take it to the next level.

I also just want to do this:

TQgRiwr.gif

Thoughts?