Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Enhanced" Abilities-Pertaining to Warframe Skills

Finances

So, I had some ideas pertaining to extending the uses of a frame and the abilities within. 

As of now, for the most part we have a plethora of options when it comes to what abilities we can use and how they are used for  particular situations, but I can't help but feel this could be further expanded upon with the use of "Enhanced" abilities. Some of the recent reworks brought to light a system that might benefit from a "dual functionality" option. 

So what exactly do I mean by "Enhanced" or dual functionality? Well, lets break it down. I'l start off with Excalibur as an example. 

Recently a change was made to the way his Exalted Blade works, one of which was the consumption of energy upon using his mini radial blind. For the most part this decision was panned widely across the player-base mainly because the move itself was one of utility and didn't actually do much in terms of acting like a true watered down version of its counterpart. For it to cost half the energy of the original blind it should in effect be half as good, which isn't the case. So now what we get is essentially a penalty for mobility. In terms of changes I'm hearing a lot of, "Just take away the blind and have it cost nothing for pure mobility." For the most part if they really want to nerf the mini blind in some way then I agree with just taking it out all together instead of a hefty energy cost. This did get me thinking though, what if we had both options? 

This would essentially amount to having two versions of the same ability, in a sense the same way you can toggle through Ivaras and Vaubans. 

For Exalted Blade this amounts to having one version of the ability that is the "base" (pure exalted with no mini radial blind) and another that is "enhanced" (Exalted Blade with mini radial blind that drains energy upon using the spin attack). Obviously this would have to include the needed fixes pertaining to the energy cost and functionality of the mini blind itself in order for the energy cost to justify using it in the first place, to which it currently doesn't.

I feel a good balance of the enhanced version should cost somewhere around 10-5 energy in a diminishing manner. For ex. If you decide to use the mini radial blind the very first spin you do grants you the most range on the blinding effect therefore costing the most energy (10). The second slide grants slightly less blinding range but works in tandem with the energy cost, so instead of 10 it now costs 9 energy to cast and so on in a 5 spin repeating cycle. This would mean 1st slide-(10 energy) 2nd (9) 3rd (8) 4th (7) 5th (6) with each having a slightly less effective blinding range. 

If you are low on energy you simply revert back to the standard Exalted and make use of the free mobility. New icons should be above them to inform you of which version you are in so you don't accidentally spend energy when you wanted to be in the base version. Also as a backup I feel it would be nice to have the enhanced color separate from the base. So the base EB color runs off your frames energy color as usual while the Enhanced version has its own colors to choose from ( so something like a mini color picker in your arsenal under abilities etc). This would help when things are hectic and maybe you don't have time to look over at the icon to know which one you are in. You can simply go, oh my blade is red so its the enhanced, and so forth. 

This can essentially be applied to other skills and frames with the trade-off effects for each. I also feel this could help with catering to multiple play-styles without locking someone into a particular situation that they have no choice to use or simply not use. 

I'm on the side of the removal of the mini-blind. It severely hinders mobility and does absolutely jack. The fact that it was free, was the only thing that made it tolerable.

As far as your idea, not bad. Before that even happens, I think that the concept I had a while ago, would go to dramatically change the way we play, but not be as crazy as other things I've seen. Imagine having that extra mods space (without actually having extra mod space) in order to place another mod to either enhance a different ability or help counteract the negative effects of one... and still have the augmented ability.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I see an implementation of some sort of skill trees for each warframe and ability as being a good way to change/enhance the game. Exactly how to implement it, I have no idea, but the general idea just seems to make sense.