Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making focus relevant

gluih

Just some thoughts about what I would do with the focus system. These are just the main features I would let the different schools have, so there could be smaller bonuses added. Feel free to comment.

First of all change the cooldown to ~1 min. Right now focus can't even be activated in some runs. It's not reliable at all (the actives). You also get punished for unlocking stuff which should be changed.

I would also change how armor reduction works at the same time. Make it so it always reduces based on the initial armor instead of the current armor. This way abilities that reduce armor become more relevant and corrosive projection isn't must have. Might have to adjust the effectiveness of some of these and corrosive would still stack the way it does already with itself, but not with other abilities.

Madurai:

Madurai should be a way to scale damage into higher levels. Make it add % based damage to attacks and make phoenix gaze scale into high levels.

Unairu:

Passive should add 300 armor (less if scaling is balanced more carefully). Not affected by mods or other abilities, just flat 300 armor on top of the rest.

Alternative ability would be used to deal with enemy armor. Make it one of the core ways to deal with enemy armor scaling.

Optionally make both of those mutually exclusive. Active can just completely remove enemy armor in the area and add large amounts of armor to the squad.

Vazarin:

Make this a real healing alternative. This should be enough to replace rejuvination and the reduced cooldown should help a lot. Something like an invulnerability aura that lasts for a few seconds might also be nice. Also let it remove status effects.

Zenurik:

With the energy generation this is already good overall for most missions. Having the active restore more energy to the whole squad would make sense, so it's at least as good as a team energy restore. I also like the idea with the increased efficiency after using the active. This should also be much more useful with the reduced cooldown.

The hard CC is also great in basically every mission, so it would fit well into a focus school that can always be used and should again be a lot better with the reduced cooldown.

Naramon:

Naramon is overall in a good spot. Again the active will be a lot more useful with reduced cooldown. Shadowstep probably has to be changed so it doesn't work in nullifier bubbles.

Also in general options to improve the shapes of the active abilities (like making them go around you instead of only in front of you) is good imo.

And about the way we get focus... I think it's better when it's not just about killing enemies. Objectives like spy vaults or sabotage caches should give a good amount of affinity no matter if you gathered the affinity orb or not. Affinity orbs are nice in some missions, but especially in defense, intercetpion and mobile defense they don't really work. At least make them spawn close to the defense objectives(close= right next to the targets).

Edited by gluih

6 minutes ago, (PS4)pastard323 said:

You don't agree that almost permament invisibility should be nerfed?

uhm...we already have Loki that does exactly that...why would i then waste time investing in focus for that school then?

and Naramon nerf isn't the topic of this post

Edited by Quarinah

59 minutes ago, -CM-Voltage said:

IMO every school needs a buff, Naramon needs a nerf. It's stupidly broken and forces you to use Crit melee to make the school decent.

Zen's pretty ridiculous as well. I see a nerf coming soon to the insane energy regen.

While I find the idea of the buff and nerf intresting, I also find it dumb and uncessary.

The fact being the system is in its early stages and we do not know for certain what are the plans DE have for it in the future, wait for update 19 as I'm pretty sure  it was mentioned already they are planning to add more stuff to it.

Personaly I'm guessing that with the ''nerfs n' buffs'' from this last patch I belive they are preparing the Focus System to be more relevant and a true ''ultimate'' ability for us to use in missions, I belive this is their intention from the get go and I welcome it since it may finaly bring some balance to all frames. 

Also, yeah I suspect they took this concept from overwatch.

Edited by Henji

I'm always surprised to see people want to break the initial charge-up timer on Focus schools. If a mission can be completed in under 3 minutes (180 seconds, the default charge), why are you trying to cheese it further by using your Focus Abilities?

Currently I see only one problem with the system... well, one that makes no real sense; the additional charge times being put on that stack to silly amounts. We all know how powerful the abilities are, there needs to be some mitigation, but currently if you want the full benefit of a school, you're looking at nearly ten minutes charge.

As it stands each school has a way 'mastery' node that only gives you a flat time reduction of 60 seconds, but it doesn't actually balance the time added to your total. Each Way adds 45 seconds, including your base ability. This means, maxing out the School gives you 10 minutes of charge, 600 seconds, with a flat 60 second reduction. That doesn't really follow with how... non-essential many of the parts of some schools are. Zenurik barely needs anything but its Energy Overflow if you're not running in a team, while Vazarin, Madurai and Unairu benefit from nearly every single Way.

I would propose that the Mastery affects the time that each Way adds, not the total. So at a max of your Mastery a rank of each Way only adds 5 seconds, 15 total. That also applies to the main ability too. This way your total can't drop below the initial 3 minute charge time (which it can currently if you don't rank up any of the rest of the school), but your longest wait for charge, even on a maxed out School, is just over 5 minutes.

Fairer? Worth the investment time in the Mastery Way? Encouraging people to farm up the entire Focus School? I think so.

That is, until they find a way to tie Focus to something other than time...

The passives need to be timed. That's the real trick. No more (until the end of the mission). Make it a timer on the passive, then SEVERLY reduce the cool down timer. You use ZEnurik, you get energy recharge for a bit (maybe even the whole team) but then you have to use it again, etc. That would make people choose their cool down vs power more carefully. Right now you choose the best passive (energy regen, shadow step, etc) which blows away the active power and then use the power once and never touch it again.

The active powers need to be reworked to be tactically valuable to use, and the passives need to be tied to that use. One use and you can use shadow step for the rest of your 120 minute survival is broken.

Other Focus schools need to be buffed up to Naramon and Zenurik levels. I don't wanna spend hours grinding for sub par abilities.

I mean, focus is meant to be an endgame system, it only makes sense for it to have great advantages when put a lot of work into it.   

Edited by Dragazer

10 hours ago, (PS4)pastard323 said:

You don't agree that almost permament invisibility should be nerfed?

7 hours ago, -CM-Voltage said:

IMO every school needs a buff, Naramon needs a nerf. It's stupidly broken and forces you to use Crit melee to make the school decent.

The invis is fine at where it should be, you are pretty much locked in melee if you want to reap the most of its benefits which in itself balances it out seeing how melee is inferior to guns in terms of damage and range.

Loki has been using invis since the game began and he isn't limited by a melee weapon to keep the invis up and can freely use his other weapons.

Edited by Dragazer

3 hours ago, Dragazer said:

The invis is fine at where it should be, you are pretty much locked in melee if you want to reap the most of its benefits which in itself balances it out seeing how melee is inferior to guns in terms of damage and range.

Before Shadow Debt, I would have agreed with you here. But with a Blood Rush build and Shadow Step, I've had the War hit for around 200k damage, swinging insanely fast thanks to Valkyr's Warcry, with almost a 10 meter reach. Melee hits incredibly hard with the right setup. Oh, and that doesn't take ammo, and it also has awesome crowd control thanks to Tempo Royale's amazing slams. 

Edited by Gurpgork

1 hour ago, Gurpgork said:

Before Shadow Debt, I would have agreed with you here. But with a Blood Rush build and Shadow Step, I've had the War hit for around 200k damage, swinging insanely fast thanks to Valkyr's Warcry, with almost a 10 meter reach. Melee hits incredibly hard with the right setup. Oh, and that doesn't take ammo, and it also has awesome crowd control thanks to Tempo Royale's amazing slams. 

Guns don't need any sort of buildup to reach their level of power. Also they do not not require constantly hitting enemies to retain their power. While melee with blood rush requires you to constantly attack to keep the power.

This heavy downside becomes apparent in missions such as defense or interception where you are guaranteed to lose your combo counter in between waves or in survival missions where you have bad spawns, a teammate needs reviving or you need to activate life support. 

10 hours ago, Dragazer said:

Guns don't need any sort of buildup to reach their level of power. Also they do not not require constantly hitting enemies to retain their power. While melee with blood rush requires you to constantly attack to keep the power.

This heavy downside becomes apparent in missions such as defense or interception where you are guaranteed to lose your combo counter in between waves or in survival missions where you have bad spawns, a teammate needs reviving or you need to activate life support. 

This is me coming off the back of a discussion about the Exalted weapons (blade, claws, stick and bow) and how a crit melee can out-damage those by a lot because of the Blood Rush/Body Count combo.

If you set up a crit weapon the right way and if you have a frame that can exploit it, or worse a Shadow Step build to make you permanently invisible, you can build up a combo counter to 3.5 with ease. You can end up, with a Nikana Prime for example, capable of dealing a sustained 20k dps that goes up to 40k after another ten to fifteen minutes, and 60k twenty minutes after that.

This seems unfair, as far as most damage types are concerned, since that will simply melt most enemies while you're invisible permanently and effectively untouchable.

You're absolutely right that this build won't last through the space between defense/interception waves, nor will it last through a team based run where you're expected to keep other players alive. As a solo build for survival, though, where any frame can last an hour in Void even with poor spawns if they're perma-invis, I find it very difficult to say that I would ever pick guns over crit-melee and abilities to do damage.

Guns need no wind-up, but without abilities their damage is capped. Crit melee builds up as you go and, given the right set-up, can easily out-damage gun play and, in some cases, powers. Not much can out-damage a Nova AMD build at 100k dps constant from start of mission, if given energy, to multiple targets... but that's besides the point.

We've thoroughly de-railed this topic now, so I'll continue: I've run the numbers, and the missions, to say honestly that the current state of the game means, in terms of damage capability over time, the order of business is Melee, Powers, Guns. Because it's not just crit-melee Naramon builds that can do stupid levels of damage; people are doing insane work with an Ivara and a Covert Lethality dagger. As long as you have some awareness for life support, that build can outlast anything else in the game.

So yes, I believe that Naramon's Shadow Step is one of the few passive skills that needs some kind of down-side to it. I would simply put forward that Naramon's invis last for the fixed period you upgrade it to, cannot be refreshed while active, and then has a delay before invis can be restored. The same way that some duration abilities have a short time between the end of the duration and the re-cast, like Turbulence.

Considering Ash can invis for 10-16 seconds but has to uncloak and refresh it after that, having one of the Schools do that with crits instead doesn't seem like a bad skill.

Likewise Zenurik restoring a constant 4 Energy per second ad infinitum is very over-powered for the effort it takes to get there, and it should trigger off something as well, maybe a kill or something harder to get pushing you to refresh your energy restore by being active in the game. I quite like the idea of it going off the same Affinity gain as the Syndicate mods/weapons, where gaining a certain amount give you a burst of the School's passive abilities, encouraging you to keep playing for longer and not just blithely moving into a trance mode.

Knowing all of this now, how would you fix it?

The problem most of us have with Focus isn't that 'X is stronger than Y', it's that 'Y is absurdly weaker than X'.

If people think that Vazarin's insta-rez is weak, they have not played with pugs in a long time. Every time I see anything lower than MR15 in a T3 and higher, it's almost certain that I'll equip it (unless I know the person or the rest of the team is competent enough). And let's not even count how many times it's saved the team's Frost when they bullet-jump in the middle of 5 Bombards to freeze them.

Madurai's strength lies it its passives; 30% more Slash on an Ash? You may begin laughing evilly now. And 30% puncture makes weapons like Destreza almost unfair against Grineer. Not even gonna go on weapons such as Dread or Boltor.

The reworks we need are not to reduce the duration or effectiveness of our passives (they are called Passive for a reason). It's to make the OTHER passives worthy of making me question which will I need more in the coming fight; perma invis, insta-revives or the ability to nullify the threat of melee units (Loki's Disarm and a Rhino can abuse Unairu to hell and back, btw).

I do agree that cooldowns need to be reduced, however that would trivialize how quick it would be to get the passives to activate. What if the first 'charging' of our Path took X time but all subsequent activations took less and less? For example, if at first I need 5 minutes to activate my Madurai, the second activation will take less time, since the passives have already been applied.

2 hours ago, Thaylien said:

This is me coming off the back of a discussion about the Exalted weapons (blade, claws, stick and bow) and how a crit melee can out-damage those by a lot because of the Blood Rush/Body Count combo.

If you set up a crit weapon the right way and if you have a frame that can exploit it, or worse a Shadow Step build to make you permanently invisible, you can build up a combo counter to 3.5 with ease. You can end up, with a Nikana Prime for example, capable of dealing a sustained 20k dps that goes up to 40k after another ten to fifteen minutes, and 60k twenty minutes after that.

This seems unfair, as far as most damage types are concerned, since that will simply melt most enemies while you're invisible permanently and effectively untouchable.

You're absolutely right that this build won't last through the space between defense/interception waves, nor will it last through a team based run where you're expected to keep other players alive. As a solo build for survival, though, where any frame can last an hour in Void even with poor spawns if they're perma-invis, I find it very difficult to say that I would ever pick guns over crit-melee and abilities to do damage.

Guns need no wind-up, but without abilities their damage is capped. Crit melee builds up as you go and, given the right set-up, can easily out-damage gun play and, in some cases, powers. Not much can out-damage a Nova AMD build at 100k dps constant from start of mission, if given energy, to multiple targets... but that's besides the point.

We've thoroughly de-railed this topic now, so I'll continue: I've run the numbers, and the missions, to say honestly that the current state of the game means, in terms of damage capability over time, the order of business is Melee, Powers, Guns. Because it's not just crit-melee Naramon builds that can do stupid levels of damage; people are doing insane work with an Ivara and a Covert Lethality dagger. As long as you have some awareness for life support, that build can outlast anything else in the game.

So yes, I believe that Naramon's Shadow Step is one of the few passive skills that needs some kind of down-side to it. I would simply put forward that Naramon's invis last for the fixed period you upgrade it to, cannot be refreshed while active, and then has a delay before invis can be restored. The same way that some duration abilities have a short time between the end of the duration and the re-cast, like Turbulence.

Considering Ash can invis for 10-16 seconds but has to uncloak and refresh it after that, having one of the Schools do that with crits instead doesn't seem like a bad skill.

Likewise Zenurik restoring a constant 4 Energy per second ad infinitum is very over-powered for the effort it takes to get there, and it should trigger off something as well, maybe a kill or something harder to get pushing you to refresh your energy restore by being active in the game. I quite like the idea of it going off the same Affinity gain as the Syndicate mods/weapons, where gaining a certain amount give you a burst of the School's passive abilities, encouraging you to keep playing for longer and not just blithely moving into a trance mode.

Knowing all of this now, how would you fix it?

Practically speaking, you are not gonna hit a combo counter more than 5x (Even then 5x counter takes a ridiculous amount of time) seeing how the requirement for each increment is 3x than the previous. So there is in a sense a cap for melees as well.

Like I said before good luck building your counter up in a defense mission or interception mission with the intermission between waves. Good luck keeping that counter in survival when a teammate need reviving, when you need to get life support, or you get bad spawns, while guns don't need to worry about that sort of thing.

Perma invis does not make you untouchable, especially when playing with team mates. You are still just as vulnerable to AoE damage like before from bombards, napalms. Invis does not make you immune to stray bullets, plasma grenades, sapping ospreys, and toxic or arson eximi, all of which can easily kill people even when invisible. More so with shadowstep, forcing you into melee only to maintain the invis putting you closer to these dangers.

Loki's invisibility at base has a duration of 12 seconds which can be moddable for even more. Shadowstep is at fixed duration of 10 seconds at max. Shadowstep limits you to melee, while Loki's allows free use of all weapons. A properly built Loki has perma invis as well without naramons limits. It's balanced enough to me. 

I don't have all the answers for the other schools, but what I do know, is that Naramon and Zenurik are both in good places and do not need any nerfs. Other schools need to be buffed up to the same league as the 2 previously mentioned focus schools. Why? Because focus is supposed to be an endgame system for veterans to grind out for amazing abilities. With focus gain having been previously nerfed I don't want to put in countless hours farming for something to be worthless.

Which is why I'm fine with Naramon and Zenurik, the power is justified for the massive amount of work you put into it. This isn't just sometihng easily accessible to new palyers. The other schools have to change not those 2.    

Edited by Dragazer

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Yep, they took it from literally the first game ever to have an ultimate ability.

You can't deny  evry new update they do it seems like they adapted something  from a competitor. 

For example:  Baro ki'teer is pretty much the Xur of Destiny.

Edited by Henji

41 minutes ago, Henji said:

You can't deny  evry new update they do it seems like they adapted something  from a competitor. 

For example:  Baro ki'teer is pretty much the Xur of Destiny.

Yeah, nah. "Guy that turns up regularly and sells stuff" is not original to Destiny, either. Similar =/= copied.

Not to mention the fact that neither Overwatch nor Destiny are competitors. 

Just now, AdunSaveMe said:

Yeah, nah. "Guy that turns up regularly and sells stuff" is not original to Destiny, either. Similar =/= copied.

Not to mention the fact that neither Overwatch nor Destiny are competitors. 

I just wanted to point out similarities and some convinient timing nothing more. 

Just because they are not direct competitors doesn't mean they can't steal your audience, specialy in Destiny's case.

2 hours ago, Dragazer said:

Like I said before good luck building your counter up in a defense mission or interception mission with the intermission between waves. Good luck keeping that counter in survival when a teammate need reviving, when you need to get life support, or you get bad spawns, while guns don't need to worry about that sort of thing.

You kind of making me think that you skimmed my comment because like I said:

"You're absolutely right that this build won't last through the space between defense/interception waves, nor will it last through a team based run where you're expected to keep other players alive. As a solo build for survival, though, where any frame can last an hour in Void even with poor spawns if they're perma-invis, I find it very difficult to say that I would ever pick guns over crit-melee and abilities to do damage."

2 hours ago, Dragazer said:

Perma invis does not make you untouchable, especially when playing with team mates. You are still just as vulnerable to AoE damage like before from bombards, napalms. Invis does not make you immune to stray bullets, plasma grenades, sapping ospreys, and toxic or arson eximi, all of which can easily kill people even when invisible. More so with shadowstep, forcing you into melee only to maintain the invis putting you closer to these dangers.

Loki's invisibility at base has a duration of 12 seconds which can be moddable for even more. Shadowstep is at fixed duration of 10 seconds at max. Shadowstep limits you to melee, while Loki's allows free use of all weapons. A properly built Loki has perma invis as well without naramons limits. It's balanced enough to me. 

Again, this thing with Loki. An ability that you have to re-cast every 30 seconds is not 'permanent', neither is Loki capable of any abilities that do damage. A switch-teleport off a cliff, maybe...

With Zenurik any frame, literally any frame, can go invis, the cost of a re-cast being 'melee hit your enemy at least once in a twelve second window to keep your combo going'. Remember, only a 2x combo is needed on a 25% crit chance weapon to get permanent crits with Blood Rush, that's not hard at all. In a melee-only run it's common, especially on Infested maps, to get to 3.5x in the first half hour. A committed melee player can last over an hour on t4 using CC frames. Giving them invisibility on top of those abilities is a lot of freedom.

If you think that (manually recasting) invisibility on a Loki is a fair thing, then fine. But you limit yourself to one frame, and your damage is capped at what your modded weapons do, which can be significant if you want to limit yourself to the best-of-the-best weapons... but never more than that. Not to mention that, as you said, you're still vulnerable to AoE. Why, even if you're solo, a bad de-cloak can have a spray of bullets in the direction of your very squishy Loki. So don't tell me that you're any less vulnerable than a Shadow Step build there, especially when Loki's invis can be undone by a nullifier while Naramon's can't.

Any frame, as long as they have a crit-build weapon, which is a growing damage threat that can inflict more damage if you invest in it than any gun, any frame can go invisible with Naramon, and at no energy cost, with no forced decloak unless you happen to go more than twelve seconds without hitting an enemy. How about doing that with a Banshee, who can double her damage on weak spots, has CC and even a knock-down ability for ground finishers? How about a Nova, who can MPrime to double her damage on slowed enemies who can't fight back in time? How about one of the tanky frames, like Rhino, who can double his own damage, isn't vulnerable to knock down when Iron Skin is up, has Heavy Impact as his passive for knock-down AoE of his own, has an emergency radial CC 4 that he can use for free chances to go invisible again if he drops out of it?

There's a reason that Loki is a good frame, it's because his abilities are balanced. If you give that invisibility to other frames, on top of what they can already do, those frames are not really balanced anymore. People have been abusing Naramon since it came out, and it is definitely a skill that, even if the Schools are going to get better balanced overall, warrants checking again.

tl:dr

I agreed with you in part, but proposed that your argument has holes and you might want to think about maybe the effects of these very, very powerful abilities when given to players and warframes that can exploit them, compared to the under-powered, or sometimes better balanced, abilities of the other Schools.

I'm not going to argue what you can do with any one frame, or that the other schools are under-powered and need to be brought up to standard, I'm only going to point out that Zenurik and Naramon have game-changing abilities, and not always in the good way, so they might actually get nerfed instead.

12 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

You kind of making me think that you skimmed my comment because like I said:

"You're absolutely right that this build won't last through the space between defense/interception waves, nor will it last through a team based run where you're expected to keep other players alive. As a solo build for survival, though, where any frame can last an hour in Void even with poor spawns if they're perma-invis, I find it very difficult to say that I would ever pick guns over crit-melee and abilities to do damage."

Again, this thing with Loki. An ability that you have to re-cast every 30 seconds is not 'permanent', neither is Loki capable of any abilities that do damage. A switch-teleport off a cliff, maybe...

With Zenurik any frame, literally any frame, can go invis, the cost of a re-cast being 'melee hit your enemy at least once in a twelve second window to keep your combo going'. Remember, only a 2x combo is needed on a 25% crit chance weapon to get permanent crits with Blood Rush, that's not hard at all. In a melee-only run it's common, especially on Infested maps, to get to 3.5x in the first half hour. A committed melee player can last over an hour on t4 using CC frames. Giving them invisibility on top of those abilities is a lot of freedom.

If you think that (manually recasting) invisibility on a Loki is a fair thing, then fine. But you limit yourself to one frame, and your damage is capped at what your modded weapons do, which can be significant if you want to limit yourself to the best-of-the-best weapons... but never more than that. Not to mention that, as you said, you're still vulnerable to AoE. Why, even if you're solo, a bad de-cloak can have a spray of bullets in the direction of your very squishy Loki. So don't tell me that you're any less vulnerable than a Shadow Step build there, especially when Loki's invis can be undone by a nullifier while Naramon's can't.

Any frame, as long as they have a crit-build weapon, which is a growing damage threat that can inflict more damage if you invest in it than any gun, any frame can go invisible with Naramon, and at no energy cost, with no forced decloak unless you happen to go more than twelve seconds without hitting an enemy. How about doing that with a Banshee, who can double her damage on weak spots, has CC and even a knock-down ability for ground finishers? How about a Nova, who can MPrime to double her damage on slowed enemies who can't fight back in time? How about one of the tanky frames, like Rhino, who can double his own damage, isn't vulnerable to knock down when Iron Skin is up, has Heavy Impact as his passive for knock-down AoE of his own, has an emergency radial CC 4 that he can use for free chances to go invisible again if he drops out of it?

There's a reason that Loki is a good frame, it's because his abilities are balanced. If you give that invisibility to other frames, on top of what they can already do, those frames are not really balanced anymore. People have been abusing Naramon since it came out, and it is definitely a skill that, even if the Schools are going to get better balanced overall, warrants checking again.

tl:dr

I agreed with you in part, but proposed that your argument has holes and you might want to think about maybe the effects of these very, very powerful abilities when given to players and warframes that can exploit them, compared to the under-powered, or sometimes better balanced, abilities of the other Schools.

I'm not going to argue what you can do with any one frame, or that the other schools are under-powered and need to be brought up to standard, I'm only going to point out that Zenurik and Naramon have game-changing abilities, and not always in the good way, so they might actually get nerfed instead.

With an energy siphon 30 seconds is sustainable for infinite invisibility, it's not a big deal that Loki cant deal damage with his abilities, everyone knows guns are the undisputed kings of damage (and damage that is always reliable), not abilities. The reverse is also true, Loki has plenty of options in his choice of focus school he can go madurai for more damage on his weapons, or Zenurik for insane energy regen. He does not need Naramon. a bad decloak can be immediately resolved by a radial disarm. Like i said before Loki's invis does not limit your weapon choice, Nullifiers can be eliminated safely at range with guns.

Was that not the purpose of focus?

The focus system was meant to have game-changing effects on how we play, its something that grants massive power for putting massive amounts of work into it, otherwise why even bother to put up with this grind?

Edited by Dragazer