The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help w/ Endgame Volt Prime Build

Sireas

Question

Hello everyone, I recently picked up volt prime after the "controversial" rework. Personally I love and he has quickly become one my favorite if not favorite frames. However I found myself struggling in higher end content with the basic build I was. I was mostly having trouble with the large amount of energy I was burning through as well as the very low damage my Q and R was dishing out. So I up with a more complicated build that aims toward balancing all his strengths. I'm look for some advice on how to to better improve the build, a better build, or just some conformation that my build is good from some experienced volt players. Thank you

My Build(mostly concerned cause it has no vitality in it) - https://gyazo.com/f9464a6244e3474ea9ca558ede15c524

Build Stats - https://gyazo.com/f18cde625cd171b7d648e1164a38b279

8 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Sireas said:

However I found myself struggling in higher end content

17 minutes ago, Sireas said:

very low damage my Q and R was dishing out

Volt isn't a damage frame, he won't significantly damage high level enemies.

If you want a more comfortable build that'll work against high level content then you probably want to uninstall Blind Rage and Transient Fortitude mods.

Just focus on duration and range =) Oh, and you probably want to install a Redirection too.

11 minutes ago, Raniu said:

Volt isn't a damage frame, he won't significantly damage high level enemies.

If you want a more comfortable build that'll work against high level content then you probably want to uninstall Blind Rage and Transient Fortitude mods.

Just focus on duration and range =) Oh, and you probably want to install a Redirection too.

Thank you for the advice, that makes more sense I guess seeing how low the dmg was even w/ intensity. I it's not too much to ask could hit me with an example on an optimal duration/range build? Also what about efficiency, I find myself burning through energy like crazy in low-energy drop maps especially when holding shield 

Don't just run around with the shield. The energy drain is based on distance traveled, so guess the option to carry a riot shield is very situational. Or you just move the shield if placed incorrectly xd

I always liked Volt for his shields so that's what I build around and it works well. I never have less than one shield around, I don't spam 4 but use it when necessary and I don't spam 1 as of late, it feels kinda different than it used to :S

Anyway, here's my mods setup:

FOvHsjb.jpg 

That's the current build I run, it's not polarized properly just yet because it was meant for a different build. You can see the stats of build I would run before the rework, it was a Shock Trooper + Electric Shield focused build, Power Strength making my allies powerful and no range 'cause Overload sucked. Now I have to repolarize Volt again :S I have a maxed Arcane Barrier installed in the helmet (can't really rely on it in higher level missions) and tend to wear an Arcane Grace (anti bleeding/toxin) syandana as well.

As you can see, my Volt has that extra bit more efficiency and a hell lot more of duration than yours. It makes my Volt spend less energy because I cast shields less so often =)

Good luck with finding your build and have fun!

Edit: I really advise against using Fleeting Expertise, as you have in your build and as other people suggest. Even a rank 3 Fleeting Expertise (combined with a Streamline to get 170% efficiency) is not worth the loss of duration :( Why spam abilities if you can cast once but good and save some energy! Only use FE in Blind Rage builds. Then again, Volt is not a Blind Rage frame (my opinion).

Edited by Raniu

Hey there. This is how I like to run my Volt Prime. He's very energy efficient and he can help your team by providing them overshields. Now, I haven't tested this build in a survival or anything, but he can stun lock Sentients with his 4 for 19 seconds, so I'd assume he can shine in higher tier content.

Volt_Prime_Build.png

Well the first thing I notice is that all your mods are essentially working against each other.  Corrupted mods are a double edge sword since they take away from other areas.  For instance blind rage eats into power efficiency, while fleeting expertise and transient fortitude eat into duration.   I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but since you seem to be using discharges augment capacitance there are two ways we can go about this.     A power strength build which will allow for fewer castings, but will make discharge stronger hence recharging you and your allies shields faster, or power efficiency in which you can cast discharge more.  I'm going to work with the polarites you have, so you shouldn't need to forma your frame any more. 

If we go full power strength, and I mean full power strength then you'll need.  All mods below are max rank unless otherwise stated.

Aura: Energy Siphon

Exilus slot: Power Drift/Speed Drift

Primed Flow

Redirection

Intensify

Blind Rage

Transient Fortitude

Stretch

Capacitance

Fortitude/Energy Transfer

Power Drift will increase your power strength further while also increasing your resistance to knockdown. This stacks with fortitude knock down resistance bonus and will allow for your shields to recharge by 80% quicker. Alternatively you can switch out Fortitude for Energy Transfer, which at max rank gives you an additional +50% power strength when you grab an energy orb.  Speed drift increases your sprint speed, meaning volts passive will charge faster, but it also increases casting speed acting like a mini natural talent. 

Again mods will be max ranked unless other wise stated. For the power Efficiency route you'll want

Exilus Slot: Speed Drift / Coaction Drift

Fleeting Expertise

Streamline

Primed Flow

Redirection

Intensify

Transient Fortitude

Stretch

Capitance

For this build we are not using blind rage, since it eats into power efficiency which defeats the purpose of the build.  Due to this you only need a rank 4 streamline and fleeting expertise, since that will put you at exactly the 75% cap for energy efficiency. Coaction Drift will increase energy siphons effectiveness, so instead of recharging .60 energy you'll be recharging .69 energy instead.  With the max power efficiency discharge will only cost 25 energy to cast, and with volt prime using prime flow you have a max energy pool of 850, meaning you could cast discharge 34 times straight before running out of energy at max energy. Alternatively you could use speed drift for the reasons I gave in the power strength build. 

In theory there is a third build by maxing out power strength and power duration. All mods are again max rank, unless otherwise stated.  If you wanted to go that route it would look like this

Exilus slot: Power drift/Speed drift

Primed Flow

Narrow Minded

Intensify

Blind Rage

Transient Fortitude

Constitution

Capitance

Primed Continuity

This isn't what I would call "optimal" since transient fortitude eats into your power duration, and narrow minded tanks your range.  While the effect of the discharge in theory should last longer.  The range of the ability and the amount of targets effected is going to be down.  It's unfortunately a trade off of the build. These builds can be considered experimental at best, and could probably still be tweaked further.   You also don't have to use them, but they are here for your consideration, and can be tweaked to better fit your play style.

well i have a less than optimal, but fun and viable build for high-ish levels:

shocking speed

intensify

narrow minded

(primed) continuity

the other 4 are totally optional, i use redirection, flow, quick thinking and constitution

rush or lightning dash for exilus (for the lolz) or you can choose the boring power drift

how to use:

use shields to block ranged damage. if they get past them, shocking speed stuns them.

equip berserker and all crit mods on your favourite heavy melee

enjoy breaking your 'E' button

(pro tip: my keyboard is stronger than my index finger, so i switched the aim and the melee functions, smashing RMB is much more comfortable for me)

i'm on ps4 so still don't have the rework

but i will use this build after the rework to stun everyone in  the room with the 4th ability and kill everything, with zenurik school will be very useful or naramon to stay invisible but i don't like to stay invisible all the time 

http://goo.gl/rXhLcq

Edited by (PS4)lxl3zoozlxl