Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Synergy [OOC, rules, questions, and miscellany]

Yzjdriel

This is the OOC thread for the IC Synergy multi(thread)verse started by Rakawan.  I am currently solo-dm'ing this business, as Rakawan's time is a bit limited as of late.

Links:

I'll explicitly state it in case any rules-lawyers try their hand at this: DM actions override player actions.

POST-U18 LORE.

This RP will play out like normal RPs, with actions provoking contextual actions from others.

Click the spoilers to expand various sections.

Setting:

Spoiler

Project Synergy was created by Clan Miraalan to provide a place for civilians and humans alike to live in peace without having to worry if the Grineer were going to break down the door at 4 am.  It is based on the planet Phenix (misspelled intentionally), which is in an unknown star system that is unreachable by conventional travel.  The only way to get there is either by Fold Engine (if you know where it is) or by Solar Rail (provided the staff at that rail know where Phenix is - if they're part of Synergy, they do).

Phenix is home to embassies of all six Syndicates as well as several civilian groups, and Tenno allied with Synergy also call this place home.  The Tenno settlement is a sprawling village at the base of the mountains.  A Tenno-run "monastery" holds classes for those interested in learning more about the Tenno, their way, and their customs.

An attack by the Grineer left Synergy weakened, but far from broken.  A lot of the damage was superficial, but repairs will take time.

Recently, the UHC and its allies mounted a raid on the Kuva Fortress.  During the attack, both of the Grineer Kweens were killed.

Formatting:

Spoiler

"In-character speech is simply made thusly," with quotation marks.  If you have more than one character, denote their speech with nametags, colors, or properly denoted prose.

In-character actions are simply made thusly, without any special formatting.  That would mean that this is a prose-based RP - you don't put asterisks by actions when you're writing a book, after all.

((Out-of-character remarks made directly about something in the IC thead go in double parenthesis.  This includes descriptions of items and appearances.))  General OOC statements and discussion belong in the OOC thread.

@Yzjdriel -> use the at sign (@) to refer to players whose character name your character does not know

Examples:

Spoiler
  • "I have one character, Richard, in the thread, and he spoke out loud."
  • "I have more than one character in the thread, and Richard (whose speech color is silver) spoke out loud."
  • ((I am making a direct comment about something in the post I am quoting, and my post also contains In-Character prose.))

Rules:

Spoiler
  1. For the love of roleplay, NO GOD-MODDING.  There are NPCs with unusual or unusually powerful abilities, and it is possible for characters to join groups that grant access to advanced abilities. Consequence for breaking this rule: first offense -> verbal warning, second offense -> attack with the Nerfbat, third offense -> beatdown with the Jat Kicktag (also known as the BanHammer).
  2. Allowed races: Tenno, ex-Grineer, ex-Corpus, Civilian (human).
  3. No metagaming.  Consequence for breaking this rule: first offense -> verbal warning, second offense -> strong verbal warning, third offense -> kicked from thread.
  4. Introductory posts: your character(s) always begin(s) the Homeworld thread in the queue at the Rail unless you've cleared it with a DM beforehand.  Fill out the form (name, race, reason for visit, anything to declare) and wait for a response from Rail Control before proceeding.  If you are a Tenno, your standard complement of weapons does not need to be declared.  If you are carrying Infested biomatter and intend to take it down to Phenix, you must file additional paperwork and obtain the proper storage containers for transport to the planet.  Consequence for improper intro post: a post telling you to correct it.
  5. Phenix has a strict policy of nonviolence.  Consequence for breaking this rule: you will attract the attention of DM-controlled law-enforcement.  DO NOT ATTRACT DM-CONTROLLED LAW-ENFORCEMENT.

General note:

• If you can kill it in-game, you can kill it here.  This includes Stalker, G3, etc.
Edited by Yzjdriel

Groups:

Oro-keepers: 

Currently not joinable. Possess extraordinary powers. Can teleport, regenerate, and attack or defend themselves with powerful void energies.

Emcountered During: Extreme disregard for the rules. If one appears   Due to rule breaking stahp now. If it appears due to excessive violence that is the end of your rampage.

Edited by Rakawan

Wraiths

Tenno spec ops. Assigned to persons of interest. 

If a Wraith is tailing you, denoted by [You see a shadow at the edge of your vision.] then be cautious. 

Entering restructed areas or attacking high level NPC's will spawn a Wraith. You don't want a Wraith hunting you. Tailing you, maybe, but not hunting.

Telepaths

These are the big guns for enforcing the rules. If you start causing horrendous amounts of mischief through some normally unstoppable means, they will intervene. The can hijack actions. They also serve as the IC reason people know where to find eachother.

Edited by Rakawan

Order of bad things. 

AKA list of escalating warning signs.

Start a fight, attempt a crime, use abilities for mischief: Archon spawned. ((This is a warning.))

Cause serious harm to NPC or player: Seraph spawned. ((Please stop, this isn't funny.))

Attempt to kill an NPC: Synergy Tenno spawned. ((You are pushing your luck.))

Attenpt to kill a player sucessfully kill an NPC: Spawn an Oro-Keeper. ((You are screwed, there is no hope. Forget things like Hysteria, you'll be lucky if your operator survives.))

Suspicious activity: Spawn Wraith. ((Dm is watching you. Unless you have really good reason you may want to reconsider. Exception is a Wraith spawned as protection. These NPC's are a sign that whatever you are doing is encouraged. Committing a crime can lose this protection.))

Enter restricted area, attempt to kill important NPC, or other sneaky bad things: Wraith attack. ((These NPC's routinely fight other Tenno in training. While they are not invulnerable they are very hard to spot.))

Killing a Wraith: if you somehow loohole this to happen, Dirge will hunt you. He is the Wraith Leader. ((He will find you, he will kill you. And then he will shoot your ship out of the sky and kill your operator. For the Love of All that Is Holy do not anger Dirge.))

These are not challenges. These are warnings. Please avoid making me do this.

As you can see, I won't stop you from breaking some minor rules. I also won't stop Durge from scattering your character across the surface of the planet. Please don't make me do that.

Finally

Telepaths: 

No parenthesis on this one. You ticked off the DM. You no longer control your character. Reserved for extremely difficult people or loopholers.

Wildlife:

Phenix has its fair share of wildlife. Some, like the furry Fluffles, are docile. Others not so much. Hunting is allowed, provided one fills out the proper forms. 

Here is the list of wildlife.

Fluffles: These small furball like creatures are scavengers during the winter and herbivores during the rest of the year. They are widely viewed like rabbits on earth, as pests by farmers and pets by citizens. 

During the night they sleep in giant mounds. Threats are quickly buried and kicked to death. More than one wild Kubrow has perished due to "getting ghetto stomped by fur balls."

Behemoth

Similar to the infested creatures these beasts are large and heavily armored. They are normally docile unless enraged. Hunting a behemoth requires signing a legal document stating you will not return with killing any you injure, as wounded behemoths have been known to track threats back to the city walls and beyond. They stand about two stories tall, with thick leathery skin and bony tusks. They are herbivores.

More coming soon.

What I think is unfair is that you have all this stuff to defend against mischief, but you have basically a unit capable of power gaming. Why? If you don't want people doing mischief, ban it, or don't punish their characters severely for simply being smart at mischief. (Loopholes are to be abused, don't punish so severely for it, it ruins the fun.)

Great Wyrm

Dero beneath the city there are massive tunnels dig by the Great Wyrm. Ten stories tall and played with more armor than a tank. The legends say it could devour whole armies. Of course no one has actually seen one....

Or or if they have, they have not mentioned it...

Perhaps it is for the best. True there are rumors of Orokin tech from the ship that terra formed the planet. But such treasure would not be worth angering the great Wyrm...

12 minutes ago, (XB1)DataStorm 8Bit said:

What I think is unfair is that you have all this stuff to defend against mischief, but you have basically a unit capable of power gaming. Why? If you don't want people doing mischief, ban it, or don't punish their characters severely for simply being smart at mischief. (Loopholes are to be abused, don't punish so severely for it, it ruins the fun.)

Loopholes are NOT there to be abused.  Synergy is a place of peace, but the Grineer are still at war with them.  Their standing military is in place to defend themselves, and violence between citizens will greatly detriment the population.

The law enforcement is rarely seen because there are rarely problems.  We outline them here to remind players that causing trouble and fighting are NOT the point of this RP.  You want to kill things?  Go Data Drain some AIDA in Tenno HQ.

Rather than ban fighting, we make it clear that fighting is not a good idea, allowing characters to react.  Instead of doing a hard kick, we apply in-universe consequences.  Make sense?

Edited by Yzjdriel

Just now, Yzjdriel said:

Loopholes are NOT there to be abused.  Synergy is a place of peace, but the Grineer are still at war with them.  Their standing military is in place to defend themselves, and violence between citizens will greatly detriment the population.

The law enforcement is rarely seen because there are rarely problems.  We outline them here to remind players that causing trouble and fighting are NOT the point of this RP.  You want to kill things?  Go Data Drain some AIDA in Tenno HQ.

So what is the point of an extremely elaborate 'don't do this' system, when you could just ban it?

Okido, guys, you've missed one essential thing: is it U18+ or not?

Next thing #1: what If I don't want to be aligned with the clan and go the mercenary way instead (co-operate, but do not join)

Next thing #2: expected power rank upon the entrance. I'd really like to put my more OP developed characters to use

Edited by Teloch

4 minutes ago, (XB1)DataStorm 8Bit said:

So what is the point of an extremely elaborate 'don't do this' system, when you could just ban it?

Bans are inflexible, restrictive, and dumb.  Rather than ban something outright, we provide a system of in-universe consequences.  This makes for a more immersive environment, especially when someone inevitably pushes his or her luck.

Just now, Yzjdriel said:

Bans are inflexible, restrictive, and dumb.  Rather than ban something outright, we provide a system of in-universe consequences.  This makes for a more immersive environment, especially when someone inevitably pushes his or her luck.

Still basically a ban, you just added in power gaming and metagaming.

1 minute ago, Teloch said:

Next thing #1: what If I don't want to be aligned with the clan and go the mercenary way instead (co-operate, but do not join)

Next thing #2: expected power rank upon the entrance. I'd really like to put my more OP developed characters to use

Synergy is open to all Tenno, but only those who are officially affiliated may take up permanent residence on Phenix.

Things like 'power level' aren't really a factor in this thread, as combat is not front-and-center.  You can go hunting, but mostly it's a relaxed place where you do some trading, have a chat with someone, or apply your non-combat side.  We're exploring the reach of RPs that don't focus on combat.

1 minute ago, (XB1)DataStorm 8Bit said:

Still basically a ban, you just added in power gaming and metagaming.

Having law enforcement come after you in-universe if you break a rule in-universe is the same thing as a ban?  Really?  

There is literally zero reason to powergame here.  There is no combat.

Metagaming is simply using out-of-character knowledge to influence your in-character decisions.  It's bad form.

3 minutes ago, Yzjdriel said:

permanent residence

I'm more interested in playing out  business relationships between my oc guild and yours than generating a settler. That means permanent residentship isn't needed

Edited by Teloch

1 minute ago, Teloch said:

I'm more interested in playing out  business relationships between my oc guild and yours than generating a settler. That means permanent residentship isn't needed

Exactly.  Show up, do some business, make some coin, be on your merry way.

Tenno do much more than fight all the time; this is a look into what some of that is.

Just now, Yzjdriel said:

Having law enforcement come after you in-universe if you break a rule in-universe is the same thing as a ban?  Really?  

There is literally zero reason to powergame here.  There is no combat.

Metagaming is simply using out-of-character knowledge to influence your in-character decisions.  It's bad form.

Power gaming is taking control or basically making yourself unbeatable. Like all of the law enforcement.

Metagaming is done by pretty much everything in law enforcement in this to, how would they know if I killed an NPC when no one was around or looking, wraith? But why was a wraith just randomly following me? Because I may have got a knife, in another room, and a DM of the rp spawned a wraith.

It is essentially a ban, trying to be interesting or deceptive basically gets the police on you for bring 'suspicious'

Ban it outright or make it actually fair. Just because you don't want combat, doesn't mean others won't.

3 minutes ago, Yzjdriel said:

Exactly.  Show up, do some business, make some coin, be on your merry way.

Tenno do much more than fight all the time; this is a look into what some of that is.

Okido, so this is the "HUB-type" rp, which is nice. 

Back to the basics: is it pre or post u18?

Edited by Teloch

3 minutes ago, Teloch said:

There are things that could be done to aid as well. To correct an earlier point. Synergy does allow non-affiliated Tenno to park their craft in orbit. Officially joining is possible, but it's more like an uber syndicate. Technically they are allied with the Tenno, so any Tenno could stay on the planet.

Joining would require being part of an allied clan. Or allying the new clan with Synergy. The benefits would simply be access to more advanced tech and research. 

The story is that Phenix was exclusive and the Lotus ordered that it be made available to all Tenno.

Tl:dr

Synergy membership is not required for residence or work. There are plenty of ways to help out or find work.

You could even set up shop or start a fighting club Ido g the dueling arena's.

Stl:dr

(Still too long, didn't read.)

Think a planet sized relay.

12 minutes ago, (XB1)DataStorm 8Bit said:

Power gaming is taking control or basically making yourself unbeatable. Like all of the law enforcement.

Metagaming is done by pretty much everything in law enforcement in this to, how would they know if I killed an NPC when no one was around or looking, wraith? But why was a wraith just randomly following me? Because I may have got a knife, in another room, and a DM of the rp spawned a wraith.

It is essentially a ban, trying to be interesting or deceptive basically gets the police on you for bring 'suspicious'

Ban it outright or make it actually fair. Just because you don't want combat, doesn't mean others won't.

Is there some part of GM Fiat you don't understand?

Wraiths, Seraphs, the citizens can call the cops on you...

Why would you want to be deceptive?  There isn't anyone to deceive on Phenix.

As I said before, if you want to kill things, go to Tenno HQ.

9 minutes ago, (XB1)DataStorm 8Bit said:

No offence, this has been done alot.

*offense *a lot

We're exploring the idea of running one as a Clan (Clan Miraalan ain't just an RP thing), and using anything interesting that happens here as potential material for our ongoing fanfiction.  Pretty sure that part's original.

11 minutes ago, Teloch said:

Okido, so this is the "HUB-type" rp, which is nice. 

Back to the basics: is it pre or post u18?

Post-U18.  I've edited the OP to say so as well.

Edited by Yzjdriel

16 minutes ago, Teloch said:

As for power rank. Odd things are acceptable. Message me more about it and I can tell you more. The universe I set up in the fan-fic has things that delve into the idea that the warframes are a conduit to powers beyond just sliding forward with a sword.