Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Works Part 5: 'Speedy' Update!

[DE]Rebecca

10 hours ago, Hixlysss said:

WE need this on a lot of other powers. Like Mesa's power 2 and 3. Rhino's Iron Skin, Roar, various other warframe powers.

well for rhino they have an augment where you can explode the armor to deal damage and then just cast for new armor

Cool, and thanks. We'd also love to have his air-cast of Discharge back, please. It had tactical usage, and was awesome. I still do not understand the reasons for grounding the ability. Shock, Speed and Shield can all be cast in mid-air.

Speed and Shield have considerably less tactical usage for air casting than Discharge. Volt is squishy to decent depending on how you mod him. Being able to cast Discharge in mid-air works wonders for his surviveability.

I have to agree with the pickup being a good idea, but not practical. Glad I can see my pickups now. When I first saw another Volt's pickups (after never being able to see my own) I was like...what...is that...?

So, I'm still for rolling to cancel speed (as we do for other mechanics in-game).

EDIT: Also Volt still suffers from the dual-cap on his Discharge (as many have pointed out), similarly to how Frost's Snow Globe was dual-capped until DE rectified the issue. 

Edited by Rhekemi

I was wondering how much hassle it would be to program CTRL + X as a power interaction button.

One of the problem that I can see from Volt's shield is that the interaction portion of the shíeld sometimes hinders you from reviving someone or picking up the datamass. And sometimes the priority order of the action key is plainly inconsistent. And I guess one of the reason why there is no extra keybind for such abilities are because there are not enough buttons for those who are using a controller.

I guess this could work for Ivara, Vauban and future scrollable abilitties too. Make it so that tapping the ability key will execute the current arrow/grenade and CTRL + (Ability Key) to toggle between them.

27 minutes ago, RzdAkira said:

I was wondering how much hassle it would be to program CTRL + X as a power interaction button.

One of the problem that I can see from Volt's shield is that the interaction portion of the shíeld sometimes hinders you from reviving someone or picking up the datamass. And sometimes the priority order of the action key is plainly inconsistent. And I guess one of the reason why there is no extra keybind for such abilities are because there are not enough buttons for those who are using a controller.

I guess this could work for Ivara, Vauban and future scrollable abilitties too. Make it so that tapping the ability key will execute the current arrow/grenade and CTRL + (Ability Key) to toggle between them.

This also happens with Ivara's ziplines, but yes. It's an issue. Due to the heavy drain, though, I rarely pick up shields. If I'm moving, I'm going to be running as Volt. If I need a Shield, i'm covering an ally/objective/making a kill box.

A mobile shield is a great idea, but it's a WIP as a practical use for me. Also still needs tweaks.

I wouldn't mind a CTRL + X function.

The issue is that should every buff then be made opt in? simply because a minority players don't want it.  No.  Make speed a setting options, the vast majority either want it all the time or never want it.  While changing a setting could be annoying only for the very few that want the speed buff sometimes and other times want the buff. Though that could be simple with those that have the speed buff off, gain the power up as now, or have 3 options for speed being Always (you gain speed anytime volt uses the power, as how it was previously), Power-up (as happens now) and Never (the player isn't instantly buffed and doesn't ever get the speed increase pick-up).

The huge downside is Volt can no longer speed up non-player allies (that can not collect the power-up) with speed because of the change.
Likewise as a Volt you can just drop the power-up right in front of another player and once again they are forced to have it (something an options setting will counter).

As it is there are many powers that players don't like and have more use for trolling than others, like bounce (Vauban), rip line (Valkyr) and switch teleport (Loki), even Nova's portal can be used to troll when placed in doorways where it simply can't be avoided.  
While many other buffs may also have players that likely don't want them also such as warcry (Valkyr; speeds up melee, changing combo execution speeds), Elemental ward (giving allies AoE auras that cause damage), Provoke (Equinox; increasing power str, bad for some builds), Cloak Arrow (Ivara; for those that don't want to go invisible), Banish (Limbo; so they can effect enemies still), and plenty of other buffs (including those augments give) that can either mess with the player, their build or have other undesirable changes (even as simple as making the game far easier with giving the player huge damage reduction they don't want).

Are all these powers going to end up with opt-in mechanics because a minority don't want them?  If so it will get very cluttered with all these power-ups everywhere.  Or will it simply be reverted again once many players complain about having to continuously go out of their way to pick up these buffs?

All in all buffs (in general, not just speed) are a bad design for opt-in, because in most cases the majority will still want these buffs or at-least will learn to use them as being part of the game.  If a majority don't want the effect then the buff power itself needs to be looked at.

Edited by Loswaith
Clarifying setting options

23 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

This is going to be a really short Dev Workshop compared to Parts 1 through 4 - but it's worth giving everyone a heads up on! We are still iterating and playing through the changes, but we have some confirmed Volt changes coming in the 18.14 Update.

The changes are as follows:

Speed:

- Volt will be able to see the Speed pickup he creates.
- Volt can now recast Speed (like Mirage's Eclipse). Each recast will replace the prior speed pickup to the new casting location.

Electric Shield:

- Volt can now place up to 6 Shields (was 4).

Short and sweet - just some awareness for everyone that we are indeed still reviewing your feedback on the changes.

Still no fix for Nyx Passive? Please DE change it to Enemies who was effected by Nyx Abilities.

I can Speed... FOREVER orever rever ever ver er r r r r...

Restarting speed's countdown is a lot more satisfying than I expected, no S#&$.
That, and 6 shields is a good number. Can deal with that.

imo, as of NOW, after the 6 shields and speed update, Volt is finally better than what he was before the rework. I would rather see a few more upgrades, but considering how hard it is to convince DE this is needed...

on a last feedback: I actually agree on the mechanics to make allies pick speed buff or not. Let's say a Volt doesn't simply want to share speed, as a carry. Stay out of reach and they just can't get it. ALTHO I think that once Volt does want to share speed, it'd be interesting to restart their countdown whenever Volt restarts speed before it ends.
As far as the team's hud is concerned I'm not seeing allie's speed being restarted (I've been told they get it restarted, but I don't see neither on the team hud nor on their trail)

Discharge is still hopeless, I even quit using it along with capacitance, returned to the full Electric Shields no range build. Currently my builds are: 1st, Max duration shields & eff; 2nd Speed build, 199 str & ~210 duration, hardly any eff; And 3rd a though-guy-volt, endurance build, basicaly, vitality, steel fiber, rage,, quick thinking, hand spring, agility drift, primed flow...

Edited by Duduminador

On 6/8/2016 at 8:36 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Speed:

- Volt will be able to see the Speed pickup he creates.
- Volt can now recast Speed (like Mirage's Eclipse). Each recast will replace the prior speed pickup to the new casting location.

Recastable Volt speed is indeed what some us were asking i still think an opt out was a better solution than a pick up. Please make this available for other buff abilities such as Rhino Roar and Valkyr Warcry.

Allow us to cast the ulti mid air like before, lots of abilities have this restriction. I can understand some of them but most of them would make gameplay more fluid without that.

Reduce a bit the energy cost on volt riot shield.

Don't forget excal and mag :

Mag : more base energy / faster ultimate cast : raise 2 hands at the same time instead of one at a time ;)  / polarize augment working on grineer or even giving overshield to every one, i don't understand why trinity can do that when mag should be the obvious one.

Excal : make slide attack cost 1/4 or 1/8 of blind cost. I can understand the need of an extra cost but 1/2 is overkill.

I look forward for the enemy changes as well.

Edited by Gilmaesh

On 6/8/2016 at 11:37 AM, Wolfnrun said:

YES FINALLY still needs A LOT more work but this ok for now...I am expecting more soon. Please read more on the volt megathread because there's more problems that haven't been addressed that need to be ASAP 

Every ability still needs major buffs, ES has been nerfed to the ground yet again, this is not fixing anything but thanks for the effort 

bring back the beam weapon range boost it made him so fun to use with those weapons also make the crit damage boost stack again because shield stack balanced out his squishyness and made him so fun.

Edited by PhantomGaming27249

3 hours ago, -RIPD-Unduku said:

Still no fix for Nyx Passive? Please DE change it to Enemies who was effected by Nyx Abilities.

I believe DE have said that Nyx's passive should only occur after mind control has worn off, is this not the case?

3 hours ago, NovusNova said:

I believe DE have said that Nyx's passive should only occur after mind control has worn off, is this not the case?

They did say that. It was made this way so as to avoid MC'd enemies from being disarmed, ergo completely useless.

On 6/9/2016 at 2:14 AM, Shawndaran said:

well for rhino they have an augment where you can explode the armor to deal damage and then just cast for new armor

You shouldnt need an augment to do that though. This is something that is needed by default, specially in the higher end missions where 2-3 hits from an enemy will kill you dead, being able to get to a safe spot to recast is needed.
Or DE could just hard cap enemy level and balance everything out from there.

On 6/9/2016 at 5:40 PM, NovusNova said:

It does occur after MC wears off, but that still hurts Nyx in regards to Mind Controlling the same enemy again, which many Nyx players tend to do. Plus, I can go on and on about the cons of this passive, but I've been posting all over the place for that and have been writing essay-like passages explaining the cons of this, so I won't. All I can say is, it hurts her abilities and it's the only passive (I believe) that actually hurts several playstyles. Other passives can be useless in several situations, like Oberon's or Loki's, but Nyx's passive can actually hurt her in several playstyles and situations, such as if a player wanted to MC an enemy, but now it has been disarmed due to the player casting any of her abilities before that. My only hope is while I'm away on a vacation that some of the passives will be changed, including Nyx's, because I believe most of the feedback for it has been downright negative for it with very few people praising the passive and those people tend not to play Nyx. Please DE, please listen to our feedback and change some of these passives. 

Thank you. 

On 6/10/2016 at 7:55 PM, TheMortemShadow said:

It does occur after MC wears off, but that still hurts Nyx in regards to Mind Controlling the same enemy again, which many Nyx players tend to do. Plus, I can go on and on about the cons of this passive, but I've been posting all over the place for that and have been writing essay-like passages explaining the cons of this, so I won't. All I can say is, it hurts her abilities and it's the only passive (I believe) that actually hurts several playstyles. Other passives can be useless in several situations, like Oberon's or Loki's, but Nyx's passive can actually hurt her in several playstyles and situations, such as if a player wanted to MC an enemy, but now it has been disarmed due to the player casting any of her abilities before that. My only hope is while I'm away on a vacation that some of the passives will be changed, including Nyx's, because I believe most of the feedback for it has been downright negative for it with very few people praising the passive and those people tend not to play Nyx. Please DE, please listen to our feedback and change some of these passives. 

Thank you. 

Please read this, DE. 

No passive for Nxy would have been better - this one is a major nerf.