Jump to content
[DE]Rebecca

Dev Works Part 5: 'Speedy' Update!

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

This is going to be a really short Dev Workshop compared to Parts 1 through 4 - but it's worth giving everyone a heads up on! We are still iterating and playing through the changes, but we have some confirmed Volt changes coming in the 18.14 Update.

The changes are as follows:

Speed:

- Volt will be able to see the Speed pickup he creates.
- Volt can now recast Speed (like Mirage's Eclipse). Each recast will replace the prior speed pickup to the new casting location.

 

Doesn't address the big problem with the new speed.  The whole idea of using a drop that Volt leaves behind is just bad.  Honestly the old speed was much much better because people could just move together without having to worry about finding a drop. 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PoisonHD said:

Recasting speed while active? Holy hell, YES!!!

WE need this on a lot of other powers. Like Mesa's power 2 and 3. Rhino's Iron Skin, Roar, various other warframe powers.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stoner74 said:

- Volt will be able to see the Speed pickup he creates.

 

Still a really bad idea. I don't think anyone likes the "pickup" thing. Following this mindset, warcry should work the same as its speeding up your squadmates.

Please revert it.

i like it :)

"WarCry" is a diff. thing.... its boost your attack-speed but not your movement... and Volt's-speed-thing, disturbs my movement-timing a lot sometimes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we remove the damage cap on Volt's Discharge? Just make it so that duration x power strength = max damage, like 99% of all other abilities. I could be wrong, but I believe Discharge is the only ability that has this sort of arbitrary maximum damage.  

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 7grims said:

just remove those pick ups already

 

give people roll to exit speed, just like limbo.

 

19 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

Can speed please not be a pickup?

I'd much rather have an opt out than an opt in and with the way gameplay is it isn't really suitable to go out of your way for a pickup.

I'd suggest changing speed back to casting how it was and opting out by doing a backflip (Aim + Move Backwards + Roll) since it really isn't a widely used manuver and won't affect the pace of the game by forcing you out of it if you try to move around.

 

19 minutes ago, Dragazer said:

The whole idea of a pickup seems so ridiculous to me, why not give it the same mechanics as limbo, by backflipping to remove the buff? That way no one is stressing where the Volt left the speed pickup.

I am in utmost agreement that Speed should have an opt-out instead of being a pickup, however I can't a gree that tying that deactivation to any form of movement mechanic is a good solution to it, instead it should use a simple button toggle that would not interfere with anything otherwise, in this case the button X (interactables would take priority). Allow me to explain:

1- It just seems very counterproductive to tie the deactivation of a movement buff to a movement action itself, especially a roll like Limbo's Banish and yes, even a backflip. It's all part of the natural movement mechanic, it just doesn't make sense.

2- In direct response to the backflip suggestion, even if it's not widely used it adds an unnecesary level of complexity (however small it might be) and it indeed is very capable of breaking the flow if you have to do the brief pause to aim and roll backwards. With the X button (or any other key) it takes all but a simple press that does not mess with the movement in any way and would allow the flow of the game to continue with barely any interruption (and as said before, if the X key were to be chosen interactables would take priority is a situation of that kind were to occurr).

I also want to say that this should also be applied to Limbo's Banish, replacing the current roll-based toggle, since it's very easy to accidentally disable it unintentionally.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pyus said:

Can we remove the damage cap on Volt's Discharge? Just make it so that duration x power strength = max damage, like 99% of all other abilities. I could be wrong, but I believe Discharge is the only ability that has this sort of arbitrary maximum damage.  

Believe it or not, it isn't. There are a handful of additional CCs that involve similar damage cap rules so that you can't stun enemies for several minutes in a single cast. Given that Discharge has an obscene range of effect by comparison to Freeze or Rest, they likely wanted to prevent from creating the next Prism-spammer.

What even is the problem with the damage cap anyway? Its cap is something in the range of what, 4k damage off the bat? Per target? That's more than any other ultimate would provide.

Edited by Archwizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed with removing Discharge damage cap. Let the ability duration run its course, since Discharge does not affect those already affected by it and a lot of power nullifying enemies can remove the hard crowd control!

Also, please bind the shield pickup key to something else. It's getting really annoying when trying to throw a shield up and revive allies or randomly choosing between picking up datamasses, or going for a walk on a zipline above you.

And if it's not too much to ask, a proc chance on an Electric Shield charged by Shock would be great.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Believe it or not, it isn't. There are a handful of additional CCs that involve similar damage cap rules so that you can't stun enemies for several minutes in a single cast. Given that Discharge has an obscene range of effect by comparison to Freeze or Rest, they likely wanted to prevent from creating the next Prism-spammer.

What even is the problem with the damage cap anyway? Its cap is something in the range of what, 4k damage off the bat? Per target? That's more than any other ultimate would provide.

Problem is, the moment the cap gets reached, the enemies STOP being stunned, even if there's still some duration time LEFT.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any hope for some Mag (Polarize) love?

Specifically the armor/shield reduction being based on a % of enemy armor/shield and completely separate from damage dealt? (You can even remove ability damage totally. I'd love to have a scalable pure debuff on a control frame like Mag)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Speed:

- Volt will be able to see the Speed pickup he creates.
- Volt can now recast Speed (like Mirage's Eclipse). Each recast will replace the prior speed pickup to the new casting location.
 

Does this mean that Volt will cast the Speed Pickup where he's aiming at, without triggering it automatically on him? Because that would be awesome! Much more strategic approach (ability to cast it in front of allies that are ahead of him, to choose when to activate it for Volt himself, etc).

Also, the Strenght of the speed buff could be enhanced by a cast of Shock on it (the pickup)? And the Speed Pickup could act as a Tesla Coil if caught within the range of a Discharge (becoming unable to provide the speed buff when triggered this way). (I already see an Augment for that, creating extra instances of Discharges centered on these Speed Pickups omg).

Well, I'm raving a bit, but I see a lot of potential in these changes. Can't wait to see what they could become.

Thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good start. now all that's left just fix Discharges issues and it should be perfect.

 

As an added bonus, have you ever  thought giving speed the roar treatment? more base speed plus same duration across all ranks? as buffing abilites they're kinda similar and speed's base duration is really low.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, (PS4)Foxboy1993 said:

Problem is, the moment the cap gets reached, the enemies STOP being stunned, even if there's still some duration time LEFT.

Exactly the point.

Let's say you maximize your Duration - the effect will have a duration of 35 seconds.
35 seconds during which no enemy is attacking, period. Chaos still allows enemies to attack. Bastille still allows enemies beyond the cap to attack. Vortex affects a relatively small area, so it still allows enemies to attack - Discharge has a HUGE range by comparison.
The only reason people complain about it is so they could maximize it to be the single cheapest mass CC in the game.

And how long does it take for that cap to be reached? Like I said, by the fact that you can reach the cap alone, it should already be the strongest ultimate we have.

Edited by Archwizard
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RahuHordika said:

 

 

I am in utmost agreement that Speed should have an opt-out instead of being a pickup, however I can't a gree that tying that deactivation to any form of movement mechanic is a good solution to it, instead it should use a simple button toggle that would not interfere with anything otherwise, in this case the button X (interactables would take priority). Allow me to explain:

1- It just seems very counterproductive to tie the deactivation of a movement buff to a movement action itself, especially a roll like Limbo's Banish and yes, even a backflip. It's all part of the natural movement mechanic, it just doesn't make sense.

2- In direct response to the backflip suggestion, even if it's not widely used it adds an unnecesary level of complexity (however small it might be) and it indeed is very capable of breaking the flow if you have to do the brief pause to aim and roll backwards. With the X button (or any other key) it takes all but a simple press that does not mess with the movement in any way and would allow the flow of the game to continue with barely any interruption (and as said before, if the X key were to be chosen interactables would take priority is a situation of that kind were to occurr).

I also want to say that this should also be applied to Limbo's Banish, replacing the current roll-based toggle, since it's very easy to accidentally disable it unintentionally.

if it were bound to the action key then that also severely cripples your gameplay as it would prevent you from opening lockers, hacking, and reloading (If you play like that yes X also make you reload) along with a slew of other things I'm sure I'm missing and we can't exactly make it another bindable action because players who use gamepads have very limited button sets to work with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need to reduce energy drain on the shield too.

Also PLEASE for the love of god return speed back to a group buff instead of a pickup. My team never picks up the speed buff mainly because they dont know it even exists. And then when they actually want the buff now they gotta be all like, Git over here Volt!

If it remains a pickup it needs to have some way of knowing it's there other than just the sound it makes. And should definitely have a bigger pickup radius, possibly being able to be picked up by carrier.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

- Volt will be able to see the Speed pickup he creates.

Can we mark the drop? You know, like how we mark items and the mark disappears once its grabbed.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Believe it or not, it isn't. There are a handful of additional CCs that involve similar damage cap rules so that you can't stun enemies for several minutes in a single cast. Given that Discharge has an obscene range of effect by comparison to Freeze or Rest, they likely wanted to prevent from creating the next Prism-spammer.

What even is the problem with the damage cap anyway? Its cap is something in the range of what, 4k damage off the bat? Per target? That's more than any other ultimate would provide.

The only other CC I can think of that has a damage cap is Equinox's sleep, which is 50% of HP, not 5000 hp. The difference between the two is huge. It is the difference between scaling, and not scaling.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for listening to our feedback as usual. Now I only hope for the next update to change some of the passives that our feedback has mostly determined as negative. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make Polarize able to completely remove shields at any lvl like it was before WITHOUT health damage on corpuses so you're all happy that there's no instakill, and for Grineer add a % armor removal to the fixed value.

Ps: remove Discharge damage cap and replace it with a % based on the enemies total health, so those corpus clowns won't get out of the stun effect after 2-3 seconds...

Edited by arm4geddon-117
grammar
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Speed needs to leave a trail and not a pickup

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 6 shields, really? it should have no limit, like it was before. Is not a safe zone like mags magnetice or frost bubble, nor a 4 ability like cataclism. 

Please bring back the infinite shields

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you guys fix please the black tone of Ember Prime ?, now she looks more gray.

Edited by Venoct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

if it were bound to the action key then that also severely cripples your gameplay as it would prevent you from opening lockers, hacking, and reloading (If you play like that yes X also make you reload) along with a slew of other things I'm sure I'm missing and we can't exactly make it another bindable action because players who use gamepads have very limited button sets to work with

Which is why I mentioned that interactions would take priority over the toggle, shall the situation arise.

Edited by RahuHordika

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...