Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

I don't have much to say, but can we please get a button to type in chat during missions? I'm used to playing on PC, and this was the most disorienting thing coming to console. I play with headphones so that I can be quite, and having to use voice chat negates that.

I have been asking almost every week on the PS4 stream and when I can log in to the Dev streams to request the analog on PS4 (Xbox One too) be opened up to customization. I personally do not care however I have a few "legacy" gamers that do not play games that don't have Legacy-type controls. The main thing DE, is to just allow us to choose a legacy or to be able to just swap around our movement/look controls. Forward & Back + look Left & look Right on one, look Up & look Down + strafe Left & strafe Right on the other.

What I'd really like to see is DE making alt fire a toggle option for all weapons with a secondary fire (in settings). I really think it's bad to use on a click thumb-stick.

I might try using a macro to swap the primary and secondary fire buttons on a toggle in-game, but I doubt it's possible.

Edited by Demon.King

With the coming changes to Limbo, can we have the option to separate Roll and Crouch? As far as I know, they're permanently linked together when configuring a console controller (at least, the Xbox).

However, with Limbo's rework adding a significant gameplay element to what was formerly just the roll/crouch command, there's a higher risk of inadvertently entering or exiting the Rift plane when you don't want to (e.g., I meant to crouch, but didn't hold the button quite long enough, and instead of crouching I zip out of the rift, right through those lasers I was trying to avoid). 

I would like it if we could map crouch and roll separately (assuming I'm not a derp and that's already possible) to eliminate the potential issues with Rift Walk. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

On 28/03/2017 at 2:02 PM, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

With the coming changes to Limbo, can we have the option to separate Roll and Crouch? As far as I know, they're permanently linked together when configuring a console controller (at least, the Xbox).

However, with Limbo's rework adding a significant gameplay element to what was formerly just the roll/crouch command, there's a higher risk of inadvertently entering or exiting the Rift plane when you don't want to (e.g., I meant to crouch, but didn't hold the button quite long enough, and instead of crouching I zip out of the rift, right through those lasers I was trying to avoid). 

I would like it if we could map crouch and roll separately (assuming I'm not a derp and that's already possible) to eliminate the potential issues with Rift Walk. 

A very good point - I find rolling to be a little fraught at times as occasionally my frame just seems to move forward in an upright posture (messing up prowl for Ivara)

I too cannot see any way of distinguishing between the three actions; they only appear as a single entity when configuring the controller and hence can only be associated with one button/trigger/bumper...

On a slightly different note, due to the limited amount of controls we have available, it would be great to expand the power menu to allow additional actions to be assigned (such as place waypoint, gear hotkeys etc.) and to be able to use other keys, not just the bumpers and buttons. Some time ago I (possibly mistakenly) assigned powers to the Up, Left, Down, Right control (can't remember off the top of my head what it's actually called :-) ) because some powers require aiming which is a right hand operation for me and releasing the thumbstick to hit the appropriate button meant missing every so often. However, I realise this is an inefficient use of controls (as I have two controls now for each power) but I can't for the life of me get to grips with going back to the power menu only due to the aiming. It would be so nice to be able to allocate a less frantic action such as waypoints to power menu functions, but I do realise this could well be construed as a problem of my own making! :-)    

I tried assigning powers to the D-Pad for a while, and it worked, but only for a certain amount of time - then all of a sudden only two of the 4 D-pad directions worked to activate powers (they worked fine anywhere else, just not powers). So I gave up on that approach. 

What I've settled on is replacing Power Menu with Alt Fire, and just using the D-pad left and right (remapped to paddles on my Elite Controller) to select a power, and the right-stick click activates the power. On the upside, powers that need aim are much, much easier since I can steer the reticle and fire the power whenever. On the downside, it takes a lot longer to navigate from one power to the next, so complex power tricks are kinda out of range (for instance, if I wanted to do one of the new tricks that some Limbo players came up with, it would be 17 button presses to activate 4 powers in the right order). 

It puts me at a disadvantage and I may experiment with the power menu, but no matter what, it's a tradeoff between having the Power Menu or having Alt Fire capability. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

Oh. Roll and Crouch have different bindings on PC non-Steam mode. It should totally be able to be separated. The scheme I roll with only sacrifices reload for context+reload, but I added Power Menu on LB, Alt Fire on RB, Toggle Crouch on RS press and Sprint/Roll on LS press (hold to sprint, tap to roll).

23 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

I tried assigning powers to the D-Pad for a while, and it worked, but only for a certain amount of time - then all of a sudden only two of the 4 D-pad directions worked to activate powers (they worked fine anywhere else, just not powers). So I gave up on that approach. 

What I've settled on is replacing Power Menu with Alt Fire, and just using the D-pad left and right (remapped to paddles on my Elite Controller) to select a power, and the right-stick click activates the power. On the upside, powers that need aim are much, much easier since I can steer the reticle and fire the power whenever. On the downside, it takes a lot longer to navigate from one power to the next, so complex power tricks are kinda out of range (for instance, if I wanted to do one of the new tricks that some Limbo players came up with, it would be 17 button presses to activate 4 powers in the right order). 

It puts me at a disadvantage and I may experiment with the power menu, but no matter what, it's a tradeoff between having the Power Menu or having Alt Fire capability. 

Regarding the D-pad issue, check your settings for "use abilities on selection". I have powers on D-pad with that setting on. Focus on Left Analogue press.

When I was using an xbox style controller I had to sacrifice the alt fire, but since you have pedals you should have no problems.

Now I switched to a DS4 trough InputMapper, and solved all my binding problems completely.

Edited by Demon.King

Hey there, I use a PC, now on Linux I can make mousekeys function as good as a mouse, on PC however, it's really slow. I'd like to be able to set my look functions to the number pad or anywhere else on the keyboard for that matter to do away with the mouse and make all menus accessible with keyboard only. I'm just not a big mouse fan...

18 hours ago, Demon.King said:

Now I switched to a DS4 trough InputMapper, and solved all my binding problems completely.

I'm on InputMapper as well, but haven't taken the time to work out a good set-up. May I ask how you go about it?

(I have a lot of faith in IM helping to take us out of the dark ages for controllers in general, I'd love to get more fluid with setting custom controls up.)

20 hours ago, Demon.King said:

When I was using an xbox style controller I had to sacrifice the alt fire, but since you have pedals you should have no problems.

Unfortunately, on the Elite controller the paddles can only duplicate existing controls, not be mapped as entirely new controls. So for instance, I can place my D-Pad left and right on the paddles, but the D-Pad left and right on the actual D-Pad remain functional as well - I have the same number of controls available.

I've decided to get rid of Alt-Fire and return to Power Menu on the left bumper. It awkward still, and using powers via the menu means I can't also aim them, but it's another option to experiment with. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

Unfortunately, on the Elite controller the paddles can only duplicate existing controls, not be mapped as entirely new controls. So for instance, I can place my D-Pad left and right on the paddles, but the D-Pad left and right on the actual D-Pad remain functional as well - I have the same number of controls available.

I've decided to get rid of Alt-Fire and return to Power Menu on the left bumper. It awkward still, and using powers via the menu means I can't also aim them, but it's another option to experiment with. 

Is there no way to map the paddles to keyboard buttons? Maybe try some binding software, no idea if inputmapper supports other controllers.

7 hours ago, Wiergate said:

I'm on InputMapper as well, but haven't taken the time to work out a good set-up. May I ask how you go about it?

(I have a lot of faith in IM helping to take us out of the dark ages for controllers in general, I'd love to get more fluid with setting custom controls up.)

The normal layout is the default xbox controls with powers on D-pad, then I used the extra buttons to solve the lack of controls

bound the "PS" button to focus. It's easy to click or hold without interfering much with controls.

used macros to bind the "Touch Right" + "Touch Pad Click" for toggle crouch (this is personal preference)

used macros to bind the "Touch Left" + "Touch Pad Click" to switch to a profile where Primary and Alt fire are swapped for weapons which SHOULD have been toggle alt fire in the first place (ex. Euphona Prime)

I tried using the swipe up/down/left/right but they can be unreliable and I'm too clumsy and would accidentally hit them xD

You can also implement a "Shift" button system, effectively Doubling your controller buttons. There are tutorials on the IM website forum. If I ever need more bindings I'll switch to it.

Edited by Demon.King

Oh, I think I wasn't clear - I'm a console player; I don't own a PC. I don't know if a PC could expand the button mapping for an Xbox Elite Controller; the configuration app on Xbox only allows mapping existing controls to the paddles. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

14 hours ago, Demon.King said:

I tried using the swipe up/down/left/right but they can be unreliable and I'm too clumsy and would accidentally hit them xD

Same :) Weird thing is, I tried setting up the macro functions to give myself some options with the Touch Pad but got interference from the game itself. It's like there's a rudimentary function to swipe to cycle through powers...might be there as a working function on the PS4 (?) When I tried it, it was awkward and unreliable on PC, but there might be something I need to do in the settings to override it before I have full use of the Touch Pad. 

I'll give it a spin and refer to the IM forums if there's any trouble. With the release of Octavia, having an option to toggle crouch without it turning into a slide (which we need for the reworked Limbo) as well as having a more fluid Void Dash for the Operator would alleviate several headaches at once. 

1 hour ago, Wiergate said:

Same :) Weird thing is, I tried setting up the macro functions to give myself some options with the Touch Pad but got interference from the game itself. It's like there's a rudimentary function to swipe to cycle through powers...might be there as a working function on the PS4 (?) When I tried it, it was awkward and unreliable on PC, but there might be something I need to do in the settings to override it before I have full use of the Touch Pad. 

I'll give it a spin and refer to the IM forums if there's any trouble. With the release of Octavia, having an option to toggle crouch without it turning into a slide (which we need for the reworked Limbo) as well as having a more fluid Void Dash for the Operator would alleviate several headaches at once. 

Did you disable the "trackpad as mouse" option? If you don't it will mess up.

Also enable "Exclusive mode" prevents the game reading the default controller if that is the case.

Edited by Demon.King

With all the customization this game is trying to provide...I'm still wondering why they refuse to provide Legacy Movement options for the analog sticks on PS4. Can't get anyone to respond to the request of just providing those options. It should be 2 separate choices but I believe most people that use legacy choose to strafe on the right analog and look (left/right) with the left analog stick. I've had [DE] Drew see the question but not respond/answer during PS4@4 and I've had the words "legacy controls" read once in a DevStream. That's it! I figure bombarding the question in streams will eventually get the point across...but of course the people I know that would LOVE to play warframe but refuse to because they don't have controls they like, don't watch streams or post on the forum.

6 hours ago, (PS4)InSaiyanOne said:

With all the customization this game is trying to provide...I'm still wondering why they refuse to provide Legacy Movement options for the analog sticks on PS4. Can't get anyone to respond to the request of just providing those options. It should be 2 separate choices but I believe most people that use legacy choose to strafe on the right analog and look (left/right) with the left analog stick. I've had [DE] Drew see the question but not respond/answer during PS4@4 and I've had the words "legacy controls" read once in a DevStream. That's it! I figure bombarding the question in streams will eventually get the point across...but of course the people I know that would LOVE to play warframe but refuse to because they don't have controls they like, don't watch streams or post on the forum.

I believe you can override controls in the PS4 accessibility settings, no idea if it allows changing the analogues however.

I don't think you can split the directional movement/look the way that Legacy control schemes have. You can reassign the entire analog...to the other analog button. So it's still required to be set up in-game...like most other shooting games (COD, Destiny...)

Edited by (PS4)InSaiyanOne

I play on PC and use an Xinput controller (Technically either a Logitech F710 or F310, but it's basically like an Xbox controller).  There is currently an error (somebody else may have already pointed this out) that when you select a mission node, the button to "wait for other players" displayed on-screen is the same as the "change loadout" button (both are shown on-screen as "X").  But the actual button for "wait for players" is actually "A".

As for any changes, I like the controller exactly as it is (it NEEDS to stay similar to standard console FPS controls like it currently is!) except for choosing gear.  Perhaps have a radial menu pop up when the left shoulder button is pressed, select the gear you want with the left thumbstick then release the shoulder button to use it?  Right now there are too many button presses needed to use gear in the heat of battle and your movement is disabled while doing so.  Good way to get killed.

10 minutes ago, BigBlueDinosaur said:

As for any changes, I like the controller exactly as it is (it NEEDS to stay similar to standard console FPS controls like it currently is!) except for choosing gear.  Perhaps have a radial menu pop up when the left shoulder button is pressed, select the gear you want with the left thumbstick then release the shoulder button to use it?  Right now there are too many button presses needed to use gear in the heat of battle and your movement is disabled while doing so.  Good way to get killed.

I had to bind gear to the numpad on keyboard instead. Faster to use that than the gear interface.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:46 PM, Demon.King said:

Did you disable the "trackpad as mouse" option? If you don't it will mess up.

Also enable "Exclusive mode" prevents the game reading the default controller if that is the case.

Yes, it's disabled, I think that's the default. So is exclusive mode, without which my DS4 doesn't work at all in-game. I can't for the life of me get the touch pad to even be recognized though. I made a simple macro to toggle crouch, having right pad click=LftCtrl. (I threw in a pause or it'll spam the function 5-6 times.)
It looks perfect in the macro studio, but does nothing in-game. Looking back at my only previous attempt to make a macro, that was the same. It's recognized and displays properly in IM, but the game doesn't care. It works fine in Borderlands 2, where I use it for drop-reloads or speeding up Zero's Deception animation.

...which means I've missed something fundamental. I can't find anything in Warframe's options that could change it. Does it have to do with how I launch the game? I use a desktop icon and don't launch it from Steam, as a rule, although of course Steam is active. Is it something to do with that, my Steam settings, or....? It's gotta be something basic, I imagine, but I can't  find it. 

17 minutes ago, Wiergate said:

Yes, it's disabled, I think that's the default. So is exclusive mode, without which my DS4 doesn't work at all in-game. I can't for the life of me get the touch pad to even be recognized though. I made a simple macro to toggle crouch, having right pad click=LftCtrl. (I threw in a pause or it'll spam the function 5-6 times.)
It looks perfect in the macro studio, but does nothing in-game. Looking back at my only previous attempt to make a macro, that was the same. It's recognized and displays properly in IM, but the game doesn't care. It works fine in Borderlands 2, where I use it for drop-reloads or speeding up Zero's Deception animation.

...which means I've missed something fundamental. I can't find anything in Warframe's options that could change it. Does it have to do with how I launch the game? I use a desktop icon and don't launch it from Steam, as a rule, although of course Steam is active. Is it something to do with that, my Steam settings, or....? It's gotta be something basic, I imagine, but I can't  find it. 

Tick the "use scancode" checkbox in the macro below the virtual keyboard, then select the command you want. Not sure if it's just a warframe thing but it's required for them to work for me.

Also, I checked around a bit and for buttons to work like their keyboard variants, always do a "Press" -> "Wait for release" -> "Release" order. Otherwise there might be weird results.

I redid most of my extra layout since last time, finally separating the reload and interact buttons (which was rage inducing with things like followers, wires, volt shield), and scrapped the secondary fire profile switch for now. And binding melee attack to the right trigger as well as B using macros, so i can rotate camera while in melee mode but keep the B button working so I don't get confused due to quick melee being on it.

Edited by Demon.King

18 minutes ago, Demon.King said:

Tick the "use scancode" checkbox in the macro below the virtual keyboard, then select the command you want. Not sure if it's just a warframe thing but it's required for them to work for me.

There we go. Thanks! That is completely weird, but I'll take it.

I look forward to separating reload and interact as you mentioned - nothing like a sortie defense Operative snagging your secondary because you reloaded within 10 meters of him and you being powerless to get your weapon back because you simultaneously vaulted onto a zipline :/