Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

Was watching DK play some PS4, and I notice quite a few things that they do on consoles that aren't done on PC with controllers.

Like displaying what ability you just used.

But my question is more generic in it's feedback...

WHY ARE PC and CONSOLE DIFFERENT when it comes to using the Controller on both?

PC always has treated Controller use as an afterthought. Perhaps it would be better if DE took the devs who work on PS4/Xbox One's controller support and help them make it easier to use and be IDENTICAL in use across all platforms. Can we do that please? Because that would probably solve a ton of problems, instead of making folks who HAVEN'T really thought about controllers work on controller issues, let folks who KNOW the ins-and-outs of the problem and let them fix it.

Seriously, it's half the reason I hate anything that uses Alt-Fire as anything but a toggle. I can use toggles. But attacking with alt-fire on a controller... nope. Just nope.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:46 PM, Salenstormwing said:

Was watching DK play some PS4, and I notice quite a few things that they do on consoles that aren't done on PC with controllers.

PC always has treated Controller use as an afterthought. Perhaps it would be better if DE took the devs who work on PS4/Xbox One's controller support and help them make it easier to use and be IDENTICAL in use across all platforms. Can we do that please? Because that would probably solve a ton of problems, instead of making folks who HAVEN'T really thought about controllers work on controller issues, let folks who KNOW the ins-and-outs of the problem and let them fix it.

Seriously, it's half the reason I hate anything that uses Alt-Fire as anything but a toggle. I can use toggles. But attacking with alt-fire on a controller... nope. Just nope.

I wouldn't want the current console controls at all in my life.

Keep them away from me. No, seriously, I want them completely away from me. I have much more freedom binding stuff as we are able to currently. Which should show how badly it's implemented on both platforms.

As for menus, there's a reason Steve asked us if we wanted a cursor for Menu UIs -- that way it can be used for both.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:57 AM, NightmareT12 said:

I wouldn't want the current console controls at all in my life.

Keep them away from me. No, seriously, I want them completely away from me. I have much more freedom binding stuff as we are able to currently. Which should show how badly it's implemented on both platforms.

As for menus, there's a reason Steve asked us if we wanted a cursor for Menu UIs -- that way it can be used for both.

I want them to actually talk so we don't have such disjointed controls for controller in general. Sit down, both sides, hash this stuff out, and make it so when they do new things, we can do them on controller. Like when TWW came in, you couldn't use the transference power on controller at all.

How they do it, I don't care, but they need to start by talking with both sides.

28 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

I want them to actually talk so we don't have such disjointed controls for controller in general. Sit down, both sides, hash this stuff out, and make it so when they do new things, we can do them on controller. Like when TWW came in, you couldn't use the transference power on controller at all.

How they do it, I don't care, but they need to start by talking with both sides.

Actually it's pretty easy, they should copy what Steam does for DS4 owners.

AKA: You keep the binds given by DE for controllers (Steam Big Picture, Consoles) or allow us to bind keyboard buttons/actions to it (what we currently have).

But by God's sake, DO NOT REPLACE MY BINDS. Or I won't be able to play at all :(

@Crackle2012 I so get what you mean when we were talking about Limbo roll/dash now. Def needs a remappable/alt scheme (that still leaves off-hand melee as circle ...on PS4). Still pushing for just a general unlocking of the controller (just so it can be even more feasible to have the Legacy control scheme while having everyone else's controller-preferences open too). I would say it could be a system where all keys MUST be mapped for the setting to be accepted...but then I can see some people not wanting abilities (transference) being mapped at all.

As far as Warframe has come from the OG days, it's still got more it can do...true testament to the game/devs...but I do miss the days of old (like when powers were MODs and you could choose to not even equip them at all).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 0:09 PM, Demon.King said:

Tick the "use scancode" checkbox in the macro below the virtual keyboard, then select the command you want. Not sure if it's just a warframe thing but it's required for them to work for me.

Also, I checked around a bit and for buttons to work like their keyboard variants, always do a "Press" -> "Wait for release" -> "Release" order. Otherwise there might be weird results.

Has something changed recently? Right now it feels like things have gotten worse. I just spent an extremely frustrating hour trying to bind touch pad functions to their keyboard variants, and it's not happening. What does happen is that the game seemingly gets confused and simply removes the functions altogether. Alternate fire is very much a case in point.

There's no consistency or coherence with any of this since the keyboard/mouse defaults do not work as displayed in that menu. My keyboard and mouse are both 'gaming' variants (I mention this to avoid confusion with obsolete or bad ones) and if they don't do what's displayed in the configuration menu it gets hopeless trying to remap those functions - especially since things like context action and reload seem to have the wrong priority and separating them breaks reloading altogether. 

Right now I really need to assign a toggle for alternate fire to the touch pad as well as finally separate context action from reload (if I had a dollar for every time I've screamed 'Get those  zip lines and syndicate meatbags out of my face, I just want to friggin' reload!'...)

I don't want to rant about this because I want it solved for the good of the game and my own enjoyment of it, meaning I want to be as constructive as I can. We could really use some developer feedback on this, with an emphasis on how proposed improvements can be made to actually work in-game.

That probably means breaking down problems one step at a time, doing things like learning what 'scancode' actually is and what it does, figuring out the steps necessary for each rebind to work consistently and isolating the ones that need some sort of change to work in the first place.

Dear DE: I and many others would be glad to test things and document how those tests pan out, but for that offer to be useful we need somebody who understands the game's code to help out and explain, and then ask for additional tests to pinpoint the changes we need.  

Edited by Wiergate

On 08/05/2017 at 1:29 PM, Wiergate said:

---

Not sure what you mean. I bind my keyboard layout in the keyboard key bindings settings, then use input mapper to bind those keyboard buttons to the controller. (This doesn't work with mouse buttons for me). Effectively I'm using both controller and keyboard inputs simultaneously this way, with separate reload/context action buttons.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:49 PM, Demon.King said:

Effectively I'm using both controller and keyboard inputs simultaneously this way, with separate reload/context action buttons.

Yeah, I've managed to get this to work, which is a blessed relief. 

What seemed to mess things up was when I tried to put alt fire as a separate bind (although the mouse button did work for me at first). I think it may have been because it was for the Panthera, which doesn't have a toggle for the alt fire mode to begin with although it really needs one.

Perhaps trying to 'push' that in IM caused the problems. What happened was simply that alt fire ceased working altogether, both on controller and mouse/keyboard. 

As you've noticed (hard to miss :awkward:) I waxed a bit rhetorical in my post, but I stand by it. It gets a bit frustrating trying to work this out when it's pretty clear that better solutions are right around the corner if we had the opportunity to trade a few ideas with someone from DE who could help us fill in the gaps.  

On 4/12/2017 at 4:46 PM, Salenstormwing said:

If you start warframe through steams big picture mode, you basically get the same controller experience as the consoles do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a custom Warframe controller layout/scheme I made for my PC version of the game, it can work with Xbox 360 and One controllers and gamepads, also PS3/Dualshock.

Red arrows indicate what's different from default controllers, rest is the same as default.

This is for most fast, precise and comfortable gameplay possible, map option was replaced with Marker, you may wanna swap it back, but it's good for objectives and teamplay.

iFmCPk5.png

• 2 weeks later...

SQS1WE5.jpg

Using an Xbox One Elite Controller (on PC), so added those below the controller itself.

I also use a program that lets me add a few "double" commands where one would be used by a simple press of a button while the other would be used by holding it for a split-second longer.

Edited by Sean

Make a few suggestions:

The construction of the clan Dojo introduces an overall preview model, where the designer plans the general blueprint, and the members donate in chronological order, just as the engineers in the real world do

The blueprints for the clan can be marked at the store as much as possible: "this blueprint can be studied at the clan dojo.""

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I'd really like in controller bindings, is the ability to set one button as a modifier for all the others.

That way you give every other button two possible functions (with out having to rely on long/short/double press), and can bind a much more complete set of the game's possible actions, instead of having to sacrifice some things for others.

that would also have the benefit of allowing separate functions on PC too, so we don't have two functions on one button there either (like the operator controls).

I would love to see controller binding settings that can be linked to a Warframe. This is because some Warframes require precision aiming while firing powers while others need rapid deployment of multiple powers.

D-pad or shoulder activation preference is something that changes with whatever Warframe I'm using. It's silly to have to manually change every time you pull up a different Loadout.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:53 AM, Sean said:

SQS1WE5.jpg

Using an Xbox One Elite Controller (on PC), so added those below the controller itself.

I also use a program that lets me add a few "double" commands where one would be used by a simple press of a button while the other would be used by holding it for a split-second longer.

What app are you using to map the buttons?