Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

On 8/10/2017 at 4:58 AM, (PS4)P4NCH0theD0G said:

Another thing that greatly annoys me:

The interact button being the reload button, especially when it comes to Syndicate NPCs and Life Support Capsules.

It would be nice if interacting with those would require you to hold the button instead of just tapping it to prevent accidental interactions.

id like to reload, not vault 30 feet into the air onto this zipline

Hi all! 

I am a pc player that uses a controller (grew up using a controller and k+m is so complicated to me lol + I play on my tv with no place for k+m) since I started playing wf over 2 years ago I have always had the problem of not enough buttons. I have remapped my controller a few times since starting as problems would arise but here is my current settings: 

Xbox One controller

Jump - A

Fire weapon - Right Trigger

Aim - Left Trigger

Secondary Fire - Right Bumper 

Reload - X

Toggle Crouch - B

Sprint/Roll - Left Stick Press

Contextual Action - X

Quick Melee - Right Stick Press

Melee - Right Stick Press (not optimal but the way I have it set up if it's not here you either can't block or can't channel (btw secondary fire interferes with melee if you have a new action on the same button as secondary fire))

Melee Block - Left Trigger

Melee Channel - Right Trigger

Switch Weapons - Y

Item Popup - Select

(skipping archwing controles)

Activate Selected Power - Left Bumper

Next Power - D-Pad Right

Previous Power - D-Pad Left

Focus and Transference - D-Pad Down

Place Marker / Captura Camera - D-Pad Up

Works well enough for me and it has somewhat of a CoD feeling that I'm used to. By no means is is perfect. 

As for suggestions for how to map buttons that DE could do. 

Make holding the button mappable on actions that don't already have holding properties e.g some abilities require you to hold to power up so w/e button you are using for Activate Selected Ability can't have a second action that is holding the button down. But for like my Contextual Action and Reload I could make 1 a button press and the other a button hold (some. Contextual actions always require you to hold the button).

Fix it so that secondary fore of primary weps doesn't interfere when you have melee equipped and I could move melee to Right Bumper. 

On a side note, I love the Xbox One controller layout. Idk why but having one stick higher than the other just feels right lol. I am wanting to get the new Razer Wolverine Ultimate when it comes out as kinda a Christmas present/QoL upgrade to myself and was wondering it the 6 extra bumpers/triggers and the 4 Quick Controle Panel buttons would be remappable and work with wf (10 EXTRA BUTTONS 😲 )

Let me preface this statement by saying I'm a PC user.

some of the letters on my old keyboard are worn and my roller ball mouse doesn't seem to hold down the fire button for charge on this game like it use to. I decided  a logitech playstaion keyboard/remote might solve both problems.

The remote/keyboard works fine on both my computer and my PS2.

however there doesn't seem to be any compatibility in this game for specialty keyboards or PS remotes.

Could someone please fix this?

Edited by aggrippa
added info

Are there any gamepad users out there? :)

I’m new to this amazing game and I use an Xbox One Elite Controller. Would love to here from anyone that have some experience with the game, if it’s a viable option in the long run?

I’ve read through the whole thread and still don’t know if it’s possible. Any of you using third party software with the elite controller and if so would you recommend it?

3 hours ago, I-OD said:

Are there any gamepad users out there? :)

I’m new to this amazing game and I use an Xbox One Elite Controller. Would love to here from anyone that have some experience with the game, if it’s a viable option in the long run?

I’ve read through the whole thread and still don’t know if it’s possible. Any of you using third party software with the elite controller and if so would you recommend it?

There are a lot and I am certainly one of them. Unfortunately right now the state of controller support is still a sideline in the PC build. You will almost always be forced to sacrifice some functionality to play on the gamepad. They have just overloaded functions that require unique button presses.

Some people use profile apps and everyone changes the default settings because they are impossible to use effectively (and lock out too many functions especially while mobile).

If you can learn to use the mouse and key you'll probably do better in the long run but if you're willing to constantly remap your buttons you can still play with the pad.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:00 PM, KuramaKitsune said:

id like to reload, not vault 30 feet into the air onto this zipline

lol yeah that's always a fun one isn't it? Personally I use a Steam Controller when I do play pad (which I don't do exclusively) but I had added another way to reload I like. I dunno what pad you're using or if you use Steam to configure it at all (Steam can do configs on non-Steam Controllers too) and I dunno how well it'd work on your pad if it is something else buuuuuut one thing I found useful for this, is that on the Steam Controller the triggers have that multiple stage thing, where the switch isn't just 'on' or 'off' it's analog, it can be in between. Anyway, the Steam pad's 100% down on the trigger has a very distinctive feel to where it clicks over so it's harder to accidentally hit, so I made left trigger zoom like usual, but a full pull down reloads. I've found it to be really effectively on the Steam Controller but I dunno how the triggers feel on the other recent pads so much.

I do feel for the folks playing other gamepads though, I had tried using my old xbox 360 pad on warframe in the past and could not for the life of me do very well at all, then again I do hate trying to aim with a stick. The steam controller's been a really great middle ground for me since the track pad while not being the accuracy level of a mouse, is vastly superior for aiming than a stick

14 hours ago, Drex83 said:

(...) Personally I use a Steam Controller when I do play pad...

Unless something has changed recently, this requires Big Picture mode which brings a host of problems in itself (they're discussed above). I've resigned myself to having a mouse/keyboard nearby for all the things where a controller simply isn't supported well enough or at all, rebinding the unusable defaults and using InputMapper to to do things like separate reloads from context actions. 

Thing is, this could be so much smoother even if only a few of the suggestions in this thread were ever implemented. I recognize that WF was made with mouse/keyboard in mind, but there is a console version...It's frustrating that applications available to the console users don't make it into the PC version of the game in spite of this thread - which was made specifically with that in mind - being stickied to the top of the feedback forums. 

The mantra 'After PoE' isn't really working for me anymore, at this point all I ask is that we get full freedom of control over all binds and toggle states (I can't emphasize the latter strongly enough) so we can work it out ourselves with another application like InputMapper or similar.

15 hours ago, Wiergate said:

Unless something has changed recently, this requires Big Picture mode which brings a host of problems in itself (they're discussed above). I've resigned myself to having a mouse/keyboard nearby for all the things where a controller simply isn't supported well enough or at all, rebinding the unusable defaults and using InputMapper to to do things like separate reloads from context actions. 

Thing is, this could be so much smoother even if only a few of the suggestions in this thread were ever implemented. I recognize that WF was made with mouse/keyboard in mind, but there is a console version...It's frustrating that applications available to the console users don't make it into the PC version of the game in spite of this thread - which was made specifically with that in mind - being stickied to the top of the feedback forums. 

The mantra 'After PoE' isn't really working for me anymore, at this point all I ask is that we get full freedom of control over all binds and toggle states (I can't emphasize the latter strongly enough) so we can work it out ourselves with another application like InputMapper or similar.

Oh yeah not using big picture mode would definitely bring more issues. Admittedly I'm not a fan of how unstable BPM's overlay can be, and hopefully the Steam client rewrite coming in "valve time" that's been known to be in the works will clean it up but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway though starting Warframe in BPM puts the game into a gamepad mode with all the console prompts and UI to move mods and what not. This also of course makes the power usage UI for gamepads usable which I don't thinnnnnk works right in PC mode I could be wrong not tried it in a while. Personally I have a steam popup touch menu (similar to a radial) for the powers anyway.

I've found that this game tends to have two modes, you either start it without BPM which is PC mode where PC controls work 100% and gamepad works maybe 50% (where you get oddities like the hacking mini games needing kb/mouse, and the modding UI for example) or you start in BPM which pushes it into gamepad mode, changing the prompts to function console style effectively inverting those percentages above lol. This allows you to play it like a console player in that you can change modes, play the hacking games with the gamepad too of course. This of course comes with the other caveats of a console style mode however. The chat text input is goofy for example because it opens Steam's text input overlay, not unlike a console at all so it's to be expected I suppose. Also the mod UI will work but while you can make the mouse cursor appear on things like the modding UI, the mods and buttons in pretty much anything are unclickable, same goes for the hacking mini game too actually.

It's a trade off if I play in pad mode though I pick BPM every time, much smoother for pad imho if you can get steam's overlay to not be a pain in the &#!, I wish the BPM one was as solid as the desktop mode one. If you do try it though I do recommend turning the 'actual' resolution of BPM down it tends to crash or lag less this way personally I don't usually run that overlay's actual resolution any higher than 720p. Also was going to say the new Steam beta is a bit more stable too, although now they just pushed that to the live channel last night so it should be out to everyone now. They changed how the DPI scaling of it works to help support 4k monitors, overall I think it feels a bit smoother in any case. If you want to try Warframe in gamepad mode without BPM there might be a way to put it into it from command line but I have no clue what that argument would be I'm sure someone knows or there's documentation out there though.

Whether you have a Steam controller or not though Steam can handle the configuration of most gamepads, so if you can get it running reasonably with the changes and/or lower resolution, I do in any case highly recommend changing the powers to a radial generated by the overlay or something. I find it to be far more efficient than trying to juggle with the right bumper+face button thing in a pinch. In any case, if you can get that overlay running reasonably there's some really nice changes you could make configuration wise via Steam that the game wouldn't normally be able to do which is really handy. My profile is based on the default one DE made for the pad but it's so damn heavily modified, some great stuff in it though :)

Edited by Drex83

7 hours ago, Drex83 said:

If you want to try Warframe in gamepad mode without BPM there might be a way to put it into it from command line but I have no clue what that argument would be I'm sure someone knows or there's documentation out there though.

I'll have to look for this then, I'm afraid several of the problems you mentioned are immediate deal-breakers. Thanks for the detailed info, hopefully both Valve and DE can get their acts together at some point so there's no need for any clunky 'gamepad mode' to get the desired functionality. Soon TM

I was gonna add the hope that Sony actually releases a version of the DS4 similar to the XBox Elite and joins the current century at some point, but that would probably be pushing it...

• 5 weeks later...

Could we get button mapping for consoles? I like how my controls are now but i find it difficult to use the Glave and Secondary weapons together.

For example whenever i want to charge my melee to throw i have to take my thumb off the right joystick locking my view(aim) in place making it hard to track targets.

i would love to swap my swap alt fire with my charge melee.

I think many issues people have could be fixed by allowing the user to be able to map all keys to different functions. And allow players to map hold to activate, double tap, or have a modifier button. Also for pc users, separate invert Y- Axes for controller only, not 1 option that toggles this for mouse and game pad. 

On 10/12/2017 at 8:25 PM, Drex83 said:

Oh yeah not using big picture mode would definitely bring more issues. Admittedly I'm not a fan of how unstable BPM's overlay can be, and hopefully the Steam client rewrite coming in "valve time" that's been known to be in the works will clean it up but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway though starting Warframe in BPM puts the game into a gamepad mode with all the console prompts and UI to move mods and what not. This also of course makes the power usage UI for gamepads usable which I don't thinnnnnk works right in PC mode I could be wrong not tried it in a while. Personally I have a steam popup touch menu (similar to a radial) for the powers anyway.

I've found that this game tends to have two modes, you either start it without BPM which is PC mode where PC controls work 100% and gamepad works maybe 50% (where you get oddities like the hacking mini games needing kb/mouse, and the modding UI for example) or you start in BPM which pushes it into gamepad mode, changing the prompts to function console style effectively inverting those percentages above lol. This allows you to play it like a console player in that you can change modes, play the hacking games with the gamepad too of course. This of course comes with the other caveats of a console style mode however. The chat text input is goofy for example because it opens Steam's text input overlay, not unlike a console at all so it's to be expected I suppose. Also the mod UI will work but while you can make the mouse cursor appear on things like the modding UI, the mods and buttons in pretty much anything are unclickable, same goes for the hacking mini game too actually.

It's a trade off if I play in pad mode though I pick BPM every time, much smoother for pad imho if you can get steam's overlay to not be a pain in the &#!, I wish the BPM one was as solid as the desktop mode one. If you do try it though I do recommend turning the 'actual' resolution of BPM down it tends to crash or lag less this way personally I don't usually run that overlay's actual resolution any higher than 720p. Also was going to say the new Steam beta is a bit more stable too, although now they just pushed that to the live channel last night so it should be out to everyone now. They changed how the DPI scaling of it works to help support 4k monitors, overall I think it feels a bit smoother in any case. If you want to try Warframe in gamepad mode without BPM there might be a way to put it into it from command line but I have no clue what that argument would be I'm sure someone knows or there's documentation out there though.

Whether you have a Steam controller or not though Steam can handle the configuration of most gamepads, so if you can get it running reasonably with the changes and/or lower resolution, I do in any case highly recommend changing the powers to a radial generated by the overlay or something. I find it to be far more efficient than trying to juggle with the right bumper+face button thing in a pinch. In any case, if you can get that overlay running reasonably there's some really nice changes you could make configuration wise via Steam that the game wouldn't normally be able to do which is really handy. My profile is based on the default one DE made for the pad but it's so damn heavily modified, some great stuff in it though :)

Thank you two for mentioning the damned built in controller config steam has. I could not for the life of me figure out why I can't use DPad buttons, or why none of the remapping in game was working. DE apparently makes a steam controller profile, and it gets loaded by default, however it isn't complete and is missing several buttons in various instances (like not navigating menus with DPad or opening item menu). Holy hell that was infuriating, specially when I could find no reports of others with broken layouts.

So big thanks to you guys for reminding me that was there. Problem solved.

For context, this is the ignorant crap I was dealing with. Notice the double sprint line and lack of DPad assignments, that double sprint was really frustrating when moving around unable to control if I was sprinting or walking.

zj7eMVm.png

Edited by XiaolinDraconis
added screenshot

Hey guys! Guess what! If you're using a controller in Warframe (on PC) right now, you run the chance of having the game be unplayable after you get back to your Liset!

An entire bug, just because you might want to check your stats in the mission results screen with a controller, makes it impossible for you to do anything but stare at a blank screen and hit Alt-F4 (or task manager / end task).

I'm primarily an Xbox One player, but I recently started up a PC account. I wanted to use a controller, and realized that on PC, Sprint and Roll are bound to a single button instead of Crouch and Roll (which is how it works on Xbox). 

Perhaps, DE, you could separate Sprint, Roll, and Crouch entirely from each other for PC controller configurations? Or have multiple options? All things considered, Crouch/Roll is more intuitive seeming to me, since they both involve gettin' low.

I've been playing Warframe on PS4 since year 1 and I got used a lot to old scheme (swipes to activate power) with some modifications. However once holdable abilities were implemented, I had slight problems with certain warframes. I have made a band-aid change by assigning an ability menu to D-pad Right, so it kinda works for me this way, but still there are some improvements I would like to be implemented.

First of all, I would like for Ability menu to be more customizable. Stuff like being able to assign Abilities on shoulder buttons as well as assigning extra stuff, like Map, Camera change, quick Gear slots etc. It would make it so much easier to fit all the controls on your preferred controller layout and allow you to use much more quick gear slots. Currently I can have one at best, and that's not even using a Map (which is quite useful for Eidolon)

Another thing I would like, but I'm not sure if it's possible or not, is make it possible to activate Hold abilities using touchpad. Something like swipe and hold (where you don't release your finger from a touchpad) would be quite neat.

On 27/11/2017 at 5:31 PM, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

I'm primarily an Xbox One player, but I recently started up a PC account. I wanted to use a controller, and realized that on PC, Sprint and Roll are bound to a single button instead of Crouch and Roll (which is how it works on Xbox). 

Perhaps, DE, you could separate Sprint, Roll, and Crouch entirely from each other for PC controller configurations? Or have multiple options? All things considered, Crouch/Roll is more intuitive seeming to me, since they both involve gettin' low.

Single Crouch is Roll/Crouch/Slide, it's just not written!

30 minutes ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

That's weird -- with my controller mapping, the Crouch button won't perform a roll -- only crouching or (if I hold it down) sliding.

The mapping options I have only offer Sprint/Roll for the rolling maneuver. 

I can totally do a roll/slide/crouch myself. Gimme a second...

EDIT:

Warframe0016.jpg

Edited by NightmareT12

On 11/24/2017 at 8:52 AM, Salenstormwing said:

Hey guys! Guess what! If you're using a controller in Warframe (on PC) right now, you run the chance of having the game be unplayable after you get back to your Liset!

An entire bug, just because you might want to check your stats in the mission results screen with a controller, makes it impossible for you to do anything but stare at a blank screen and hit Alt-F4 (or task manager / end task).

Hey guys, has this been patched yet? I ask because 22.5.0.1 came out, but didn't see any mention of this in the patch notes.

19 hours ago, (Xbox One)CannyJack said:

Huh. I have Toggle Crouch bound instead, I'll have to see if Hold to Crouch changes it. Thanks!

That did it! Thank you. It's not quite identical to my Xbox account controls, but it's close enough to make no nevermind (I'm still getting used to positioning my hands right for holding crouch, since I usually toggle it, but again...thanks).