Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

17 hours ago, viperveteran said:

As a pc player I would like the console gamepad UI to be used whenever I want to play warframe with a controller on the PC . At the moment I still have to use the KB + M to do some stuff which is just a headache.

install and play warframe though steam big picture, this will give you the overlay

Hello guys. I'm not sure if this has been covered for console controller and pc controllers and I tried to read and catch up on this post as best I could... after 4 pages of reading I decided to just write here and hope for the best.

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this same difficulty.

Is there a better resolution for abilities that require charging to use?

I have noticed on Xbox One, that for instance using Hydroid's Tempest Barrage as an example. When charging this ability to max capability I find myself in a situation of restricted movement.

Holding in RB+A, (finger on RB and thumb on A), R1+X on playstation controller. It prevents me from looking in any direction so my only option is to Strafe and hope for the best it even hits anything when fully charged.

I personally believe that ability charging to attack should be adjusted to a different form of combination. For instance when holding the RB button in, (R1 for PS consoles), instead of holding the A,B,X,Y buttons to charge abilities or even rotate the weapon wheel type, (Ivara's arrows as an example on her first ability), there could be an option of holding R-trigger to charge the currently selected ability for use or cycle ability type in certain warframe abilities like stated with Ivara. 

This would enable normal functional use of the right analog stick as the right thumb no longer would need to be holding the ability combination to charge, and thus better mobility.

Any thoughts guys? 

SplinterUK

DE please let us set Invert Y Axis separately for controller and mouse. I mainly use controller (with Invert Y on), but I use a mouse for mining gems, and it's hard to use the mouse inverted.

I don't understand why they were put together to begin with.

Steam controller user here.  Biggest gripe is that I can not fully make use of the power of steam config due to the fact the game only recognizes it as a gamepad.  I really would like them to add a do not use gamepad mode.  I understand they want a set up that any non power user can jump into that is universal but it really limits those of us that want to really customize the controls.  Example I know that the left stick has a analog move, which I moved to my left pad.  It works but the sprint toggle crap really bugs the crap out of me when I put it on outer ring binding. So I tried using standard WASD for movement and it just didn't work. Can't move at all.  I think its a great gesture on their part to add all the custom presets but it really is kinda fiddly in my opinion. 

Please add a Do Not Use Gamepad Mode check box DE. 

8 hours ago, tetrach21 said:

Steam controller user here.  Biggest gripe is that I can not fully make use of the power of steam config due to the fact the game only recognizes it as a gamepad.  I really would like them to add a do not use gamepad mode.  I understand they want a set up that any non power user can jump into that is universal but it really limits those of us that want to really customize the controls.  Example I know that the left stick has a analog move, which I moved to my left pad.  It works but the sprint toggle crap really bugs the crap out of me when I put it on outer ring binding. So I tried using standard WASD for movement and it just didn't work. Can't move at all.  I think its a great gesture on their part to add all the custom presets but it really is kinda fiddly in my opinion. 

Shouldn't you be able to use the Steam Big Picture's mode to take full advantage of the capacities it offers?

Although native support would be great, of course.

I am not saying steam api isn't supported.  They have created their own custom action sets and buttons.  It limits certain things you can do due to them tying their personal settings into the control scheme. Its great for those who don't want to mess with steam config to much but I wanted to create a personal control scheme.  I found a work around yesterday with GloSC so its not a big deal anymore,

On 12/8/2017 at 2:36 AM, (Xbox One)SplinterUK said:

Holding in RB+A, (finger on RB and thumb on A), R1+X on playstation controller. It prevents me from looking in any direction so my only option is to Strafe and hope for the best it even hits anything when fully charged.

Yeah, Ability menu definitely needs some love. There are a few things that bother me. First is that you can't assign abilities to anything other than face buttons, if we could assign them to ANY button including shoulder buttons and stick presses, I think it would be much easier for us to customize controls how we prefer. Ideally we should also be able to assign other actions, like map, quick gear slots, shoulder camera swap, etc, because really there isn't enough buttons to fit all of them otherwise (especially on Xbox controller)

Another thing that always bothered me is that Ability menu interupts your aim glides/wall latches, which limits your casting quite a bit.

I don't know of this has been said, but when using the ability menu on Xbox (I have it set as LB), all other inputs are switched off with the exception of base movement and looking. Since so many abilities cause you to stop and stand while it casts, I like to cast them while aim gliding, but that input shuts off as soon as I open the ability menu. I wish all inputs stayed active while the ability menu was open with the exception of those you have mapped as abilities.

it would also be nice if their was a toggle sprint for controller as well  and the exalted blade ability with Excalibur melee switch to R2.Also the menu when leaving squad dosent show up when using controller

Edited by Cliffard
found another

On 12/13/2017 at 7:57 AM, tetrach21 said:

would love to see this as well, as since the last update  Any controller connected it runs in Gamepad Mode theres many games i play on PC w/ and w/o one, for me WF isnt one i play with.. u started with K&M and i got used to it as such.. i play emulators alot of JRPGs or MMOS w/ a Gamepad but i dont want to haveto re-lean WF just to haveto deal w/ "Whoops forgot to unplug my bluetooth adapter/Disable it !"(because otherwise it detects my 8Bitdo SN30 Pro regardless if the controller's connected or not. )

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:21 AM, Cliffard said:

it would also be nice if their was a toggle sprint for controller as well

There is.  You just set it to toggle in the options.  I've been using it with my Xbox Elite controller for almost two years now.  

the exalted blade ability with Excalibur melee switch to R2.

You can configure them on the controller just as you can on KB. 

Also the menu when leaving squad dosent show up when using controller

Never had this problem.  

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, CaelThunderwing said:

would love to see this as well, as since the last update 

The Steam Controller actually requires Steam for it to work properly.  This is the main reason I stopped using the Steam Version because it would try to use Steam controller configs on my Xbox controller.  

This (Forced controller controls through big picture) is a year(s) old issue and I even had a thread about it way back then too. Unofficial response is DE doesn't care.

Easiest way to bypass this is to run Warframe as a Standalone game instead of running the Steam version, then adding that as a non-steam game, and running it through big picture.You lose access to Tennogen items in the market but you can always go back to steam version, buy whatever you want, then switch back.

The only difference between the two version is the installation folder.

Non-Steam warframe goes Downloaded\Public\warframe.exe

Steam Warframe goes Warframe\warframe.exe

So if you want to run as a standalone, copy the steam version, and follow the layout above. If you try to run warframe.exe from inside the steam folder, it'll redownload the game using non-steam installation folder layout.

Shameless plug-in: I've finally gotten around uploading my god damn config online, here's the readme https://pastebin.com/bPUTYdcp

Also includes setup ID and preview picture.

well controls..

I like vauban but I dont use him much because on console his controls for mines are horrible. 

you have to press to select and then can circle and then hold to cast, but so @(*()$ often the game misinterprets what I want and I cast a useless bounce mine instead of a shred or tripmine..

The touchpad can feel the difference between pressing and swiping, why not use that? 

I mean in general I miscast abilities with some regularity because << and >> seem to feel pretty similar for the controller..

why not do it like elite dangerous- where you have the 4 abilities bound to the corners of the touchpad that dont get swiped, but only pressed. 

like an image how its done here: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=379 

and elite has like the most complicated controls where you often have to press multiple buttons at once, but still I had less accidental executions of unintended controls than in warframe. 

So why not put the abilities on press, and for abilities who can cycle skills, you could have swipe up&down for  selection- and then pressing the designated corner on the touchpad will execute the skill.

thats far less likely to be wonky.  I don't use the ability menu because the buttons are all very uncomfortable to press, but maybe thats a problem with my coordination or lack thereof

Decided to repost my controller settings for PC again.  There are a couple of changes from when I previously posted it.  I made the secondary fire much easier to do on the fly.

LB - crouch/slide

RB - Power Menu

LT - Aim/Block

RT - Fire/Channel

L3 - Sprint Toggle

R3 - Item/Gear

Y - Weapon Swap

X - Reload

A - Roll

B - Melee

Select- Show Map

Start- Menu

D-Pad commands all linked to underside Paddles
Up----Jump
Down--Secondary Fire
Left--Power A
Right-Power C

Left Paddle--Power A
Right Paddle-Power C
lower left paddle- Secondary Fire
lower right paddle-Jump

Also connected a ChatPad which gives me most keyboard commands too.  

Edited by DatDarkOne

I am a pc player using a 360 pad on a couch and TV configuration. Actual gameplay is perfectly fine for me but my problem is that some menus are impossible to use without a mouse on the pc version.

Btw does the steam controller suffer from the unusable menus too ?

54 minutes ago, CuteWooper said:

I am a pc player using a 360 pad on a couch and TV configuration. Actual gameplay is perfectly fine for me but my problem is that some menus are impossible to use without a mouse on the pc version.

Btw does the steam controller suffer from the unusable menus too ?

the only way to resolve this is to use Steam Big Picture Mode.  That will give you controller navigation of the menus regardless of controller being used.  As long as the controller is recognized in Windows. 

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Strix-Amko said:

cant belive we still dont have ps4 native support ingame/ is this so hard ???, you can play the division on pc with ps4 layout.....cccc REALY REALY BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Have you tried it with the Stand-Slone client instead of the Steam one?  I know that Steam changed how their controller interface works a bit in the past year.  

I really think they need to allow for alt firing to be toggled to the main fire button. this would mean that clicking alt fire would swap whatever one was set to fire. i find hitting any other button than RT for firing to be obtrusive. i just think anything with an alt fire should toggle like zarr. this is the only reason i dont like using panthera or euphona.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 6:07 PM, (Xbox One)W Braveheart W said:

I really think they need to allow for alt firing to be toggled to the main fire button. this would mean that clicking alt fire would swap whatever one was set to fire. i find hitting any other button than RT for firing to be obtrusive. i just think anything with an alt fire should toggle like zarr. this is the only reason i dont like using panthera or euphona.

This sounds like an interesting idea

This thread is great for suggestions on controller support. I play on PC and I am a disabled player. I have only only hand so I use my PS4 controller toggling back and forth with my mouse for smoother parkour if necessary. To me the most irritating part of using a controller is absolutely parkour. Though I'm completely comfortable with my controller configuration there is a significant delay in my bullet jump between crouch, roll, and jump. It is actually slower for me to try to do this than to simply run or use my mouse. I've set my mouse up to where the right click is forward movement, left click is weapon aim for gliding, m3 down toggles crouch, m3 up jumps, and m3 in is activation for hacking. Also, alt fire is annoying and tedious, especially with simple things such as fish baits and dyes in the plains. A simple toggle switch (for example, I use my triangle button as my weapon swap, rifle to pistol. long press for alt fire toggle would be excellent but isn't currently supported as far as I've seen in steam config.)