Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

@Crackle2012 Homie, you know I've been on the same/similar crusade for more/open Console controller configurations.  I probably have made at least 2-5 posts asking for Developers to add additional configuration options. The most simplest one and the one that I continually ask for is to add the ability to have legacy analog control options. This is an option that is in so many games (regardless if people seem to not notice since they do not usually set them as default as they used to a long time ago in most shooters) but NOT ONE SINGLE DEV ever seems to get the point.

Everyone seems to want to suggest that there are other ways to get this done but there are ZERO. People don't check before they talk and suggest that the PS4 controller configurations options can assist but they do not allow remapping of directions on the analog sticks. It's been over 4 years of me asking for this, it does nothing but allow potential people to be able to play and move around in the game the way they prefer to. Whether they already play the game or not.

Edited by (PS4)InSaiyanOne

To preface this: I am a PC player who has used controllers for the past 3.7k in mission hours due to disability. In the present state this update has made the game unplayable for me not in the meme way either.

This is a broken mess of an update that is so riddled with bugs it's like it never went through QA. please provide an option to use legacy button assignment method asap .

bugs include but not limited to: 

needing full game restart for changes to take affect.

buttons ceasing function mid mission (like wtf???) 

interface not updating to indicate a control had been changed from one button to another despite function changing. 

re-assignment profiles being set to default upon entering Conclave/Lunaro 

Multi action inputs not having their composite parts as individual binds.

Toggle crouch disabling the ability to jump for the duration of the slide. - biggest problem imo

inability to assign actions to stick movement other than look/move

needing to double save changes via the "you have mad changes that are unsaved would you like to save" followed by "confirm changes" fail to hit the 2nd one after the first and bye bye changes!

the list goes on.........

Over all complaints: 

unable to edit input delay on actions that involve it. 

terrible layout compared to the old one in terms of readability and configuration. 

Want to assign Quick melee from a separate button than block? TOO BAD YOU CANT!

want to assign a dedicated channeling button? TOO BAD YOU CANT!

the amount of lost functionality is frustrating to say the least. so without further ado - REVERT PATCH PLEASE 🙂

Edited by Jigoogly

I have tried to hell and back to use InputMapper to reassign controls in a way that makes any measure of sense and I would have had it if it weren't for the fact that this forces the game to choose between mouse/kb and controller input. 

Since for whatever reason it can't find its way back it refuses to let me repeat a command until it's somehow made up its mind, something I can sometimes force by issuing the corresponding command on keyboard - but for the most part not. Thus, I can't use a gear wheel more than once. Or place a waypoint. 

Previously I could do both since I could assign at least two functions to touch pad but they are - amazingly - one-time use only for now. I could also access the gear wheel by way of the Share button, but that is now hard-locked to an area map I don't need and there's **** all I can do about it because we don't have the option to remap it.

Since I don't want and never wanted a power wheel I've had to con the game into thinking I have one assigned onto a control I have to live without. This attempt to streamline and improve controller use has in effect made me twice as dependent on having a keyboard nearby since I've literally lost several controls of which there was already a shortage but which I at least had

I swear I'm not normally the sort of person to yell and cuss at developers, but a game I love made by a studio I love has gone from highly enjoyable to a broken CTT. 
Let us opt out or Roll. This. Back. 

Please. 

Khora, Ivara, etc are still unusable on controller as you cannot bind USE POWER to anything since apparently the ability "menu" takes priority instead of an actual function. So the powers that have you rotate through a selection of abilities with that power, [Venari, Quiver, etc.] cannot be used AT ALL.

PLEASE FIX THIS.

I don't know if someone else have mentioned this but DE could you give us the option to unbind a button and leave blank? it will for sure make it easier to setup any config we want.

And second please make it possible to modify multiple tabs at once in the PC version since Every time i try to change the skill buttons i have problems with the "ability tab" and when i try to move there all the changes i did get defaulted.

Please also if it is possible allow us to rebind the buttons whichever way we see fit, previously players were capable of this and i don't understand why you took away that freedom.

Thanks for your time.

@SoulKing009 It's been mentioned a lot, yeah. I'm not saying that to discourage you, quite the opposite. 

I know DE have a lot on their plate, but this thread needs to grow and the problems need to get bumped and repeated as often as possible. 'Whoever yells the loudest wins' is a terrible way to go about things but until we at least get a response I can't think of anything better. 

An acknowledgement that it's being looked at really shouldn't be too much to ask in my opinion.  

Yeah, now I give up. Entirely unplayable and I don't say that lightly.

Assignments don't stick at all and are ignored by the game. I do know that for whatever ungodly reason everything has to be bound and confirmed while using a controller, but that doesn't work either anymore. 

Part of the problem is straightforward:

HxD1Wsa.jpg

We need to use another API to get any measure of customization. Thus, in the above example, we need a 'blank'  - a null value - allowing us to bind things like Context Action to a macro configured in that API. Right now we're simply not allowed to. 
We need an option to gather the assignments we don't want  - because we want to use another API for them - to that null value. All of them if need be. That way we're only wasting one control.

Previously (to repeat myself) we could fool the game into doing what we want, something that's no longer possible with this constricted format. I've attempted to do this in several steps so I can configure things I actually need to the touchpad, PS button or whatever, the way we used to be able to do. No dice. 

Adding even more insult to injury, several assignments simply don't work. The game will suggest that they do by saving the assignment and displaying the button prompt when I want to do something like getting into my own d*mn arsenal, but it doesn't actually do anything and my frame just stands there looking foolish.   

Even more astonishingly, it ignores the keyboard input as well now. If nothing else I might want to log in and start building a forma before I play something else, but without access to my foundry not even that is happening unless I reset the controls to the default we were supposed to be able to customize.

I legit don't care any more what you're working on that takes precedence over this, because I won't be able to play it. Maybe I can display some solidarity with other Tenno and hope they're having fun at least, but that's stretching it a bit. 

Is there anything from DE (patch notes, dev workshop, whatever) to explain what this was supposed to accomplish and why it's so difficult? We can't offer useful and measured feedback when things are utterly broken and we haven't any idea why.    

Edited by Wiergate

On 2018-07-17 at 6:54 AM, Wiergate said:

Yeah, now I give up. Entirely unplayable and I don't say that lightly.

Assignments don't stick at all and are ignored by the game. I do know that for whatever ungodly reason everything has to be bound and confirmed while using a controller, but that doesn't work either anymore. 

Part of the problem is straightforward:

HxD1Wsa.jpg

We need to use another API to get any measure of customization. Thus, in the above example, we need a 'blank'  - a null value - allowing us to bind things like Context Action to a macro configured in that API. Right now we're simply not allowed to. 
We need an option to gather the assignments we don't want  - because we want to use another API for them - to that null value. All of them if need be. That way we're only wasting one control.

Previously (to repeat myself) we could fool the game into doing what we want, something that's no longer possible with this constricted format. I've attempted to do this in several steps so I can configure things I actually need to the touchpad, PS button or whatever, the way we used to be able to do. No dice. 

Adding even more insult to injury, several assignments simply don't work. The game will suggest that they do by saving the assignment and displaying the button prompt when I want to do something like getting into my own d*mn arsenal, but it doesn't actually do anything and my frame just stands there looking foolish.   

Even more astonishingly, it ignores the keyboard input as well now. If nothing else I might want to log in and start building a forma before I play something else, but without access to my foundry not even that is happening unless I reset the controls to the default we were supposed to be able to customize.

I legit don't care any more what you're working on that takes precedence over this, because I won't be able to play it. Maybe I can display some solidarity with other Tenno and hope they're having fun at least, but that's stretching it a bit. 

Is there anything from DE (patch notes, dev workshop, whatever) to explain what this was supposed to accomplish and why it's so difficult? We can't offer useful and measured feedback when things are utterly broken and we haven't any idea why.    

I don't know how they managed to screw the controller settings so bad. 

I mean just giving us the option to "unbind/ Leave blank" would solve so many of this problems but that seems either too hard for DE to do or they just don't care.

Edited by SoulKing009

18 hours ago, SoulKing009 said:

I mean just giving us the option to "unbind/ Leave blank" would solve so many of this problems (...)

This. 'Leave blank' would change everything. I'm sure they care, but this was misdirected from the outset.
Dunno if they felt they should make it a cohesive whole across all platforms or something -  if so that cohesion ended up being severely restrictive rather than actually helping.  

Plus, if this was something that had to go through console cert it's going to take ages to change unless they patch it specifically for PC users. I want to think that shouldn't be difficult to do, but I honestly don't know. 

hi, did anybody figure out how to use durazno with warframe? i have to set up a deadzone for one analog stick. i cant find a xinput.dll anywhere and when i extract everything in the main game folder, it first doesnt work (ingame) and second after i finish the game ALL xinput.dll were deleted. anyone has a solution?

I know this was already posted but I can't find it now, so figured it needed to be in here anyway. I use xbone controller on my PC. Before the update I was able to bind the "select" button (middle left button) for my push to talk voice chat. Made it super easy to use. Well they seem to have forgotten to add it to the list of hotkey binds because it is now impossible to set it for anything on a controller if on PC. I imagine this is because they just carried over a lot of console settings and on console most everyone uses the voice chat of their respective networks right?

On 2018-07-31 at 8:07 AM, Zorrandor said:

I imagine this is because they just carried over a lot of console settings

Don't get me started. Just don't.

I'm not playing much these days but my sense of order wouldn't let me drop a specific problem.
On InputMapper, this works for placing the gear wheel. I have it on the PS button. Since the keyboard bind is made to work on hold only, you have to defeat that unless you have three hands. There's also something that causes an input buffer, forcing you to hit 'Q' on your keyboard if you want to use the gear wheel bind more than once - 'Wait for retrigger' generally just causes a flickering and unusable wheel, but combined with a pause it seems to clear it.
Not saying this is optimal nor that it's the only way to defeat/reset said buffer, but it works. 
The Share button is still a complete waste for me, I can't get it to stop cycling the map in between inputs and that kills the macro. 

IDpuap8.png

If someone at DE can forward me a billing address I'll send you an invoice forthwith. Prompt settlement will oblige. 

Copied from my other feedback thread.

the new controller binding UI has made bindings that were possible and that I had been using for a few years impossible. The problem really stems from the way that the bindings of the ability menu are restricted. Previously I could bind ability menu actions to buttons that also carried other bindings when the ability menu was not in use. To be a little more specific, the shoulder buttons and triggers for abilities 1-4 was using either A or a stick press in combination with the ability menu for transference previously bound via "ability 5". 

This can be navigated around with ability selection bindings and the use selected ability binding, which I also make use of, but I don't think the intention of this UI change was to make bindings that do not actually conflict act as if they do.

The fix is really just to allow players to bind ability menu options to whatever button on the controller they would like, regardless of what the non-ability menu binding is. I set my control scheme to minimize the amount of aiming related actions (read: basically everything) that would require me to remove my thumb from the right stick. Forcing ability menu bindings to facebuttons sets my fluidity and ease of use back a few notches. Not to mention it just seems pretty counter productive to create a new controller customization UI that is less customizable than the iteration it replaced.

As of the latest update the controller bindings UI is now more broken than it was. Bindings no longer save correctly and any binding set to the Dpad just returns to the default. Furthermore, when you open the controller binding UI it appears as if all controls are default even if they are not.

As this is right now I can't bind the ability menu to the dpad in addition to the previous problems of the ability menu bindings being essentially unable to be bound to anything but the face buttons.

I think Console keybinding would would be a far more preferable alternative. Warframe has amazing combustibility and it astounds me that there are only 2 layouts for console players. 

For example, Playing excalibur on console is just beyond ridiculous because of the layout. Having B as the melee attack button is silly. If i could, i would swap it with left trigger which is used for channelling. seeing as how channeling is being removed it makes even more sense. this  would mean no longer having to use a strange claw grip or some such method to simply use exalted blade. 

Hey, I don't know if this has been brought up before but it's hard for me to check the whole thread. As someone who has to play on a controller on PC b/c bum shoulder - are the controls any different on PS4? I can't really use the sniper rifle b/c the sensitivity doesn't "scale" properly so the sensitivity is really low when using the scope. I can't be the only one who has this issue? I would like to see that fixed... Or if anyone I someone missed any option that addresses that, I'd love any help with this. I have trouble typing long posts so I hope I got my point across.

Still no interface that isn't fubar'd for controllers on PC? No deadzone option yet either? I really keep trying to come back to this game but the moment I set my controller down to navigate the menus the game already becomes infuriating.

As I have played for 1,000 hours with controller since I had start play this game.

I hope I can map Ability Menu to B(Xbox) or O(PS4) button of the controller and set Skill 1, 2,3 ,4 to R1, L1, R2, L2 and Transference to L3.
as the previous update on several weeks ago still can mapped but a little bug on set ability menu on B/O.

Because i have to Set R2 as quick melee/Melee attack for gunblade and Excalibur's ultimate - -

PS on current update, I have thinking on set ability menu on R3 but i don't think it's gonna be good as R3 stick may easily broken O_oa  

WHy DE ignore this? Nobody wants this #*!%ing mapping? 

I playd for over 4 years - and now? 

Spent a lot of Money and now got a useless game

Give me back MY mapping!

LT: Aim/Channel

LB: Hold to crouch/Tap to roll (Go Down in Arch-Wing)

Left Stick: Move

Left Stick Press: Alt Fire

D-Up: Ability 1

D-Left: Ability 2

D-Right: Ability 3

D-Down: Ability 4

Back Focus

Select: Menue

RT: Fire/Block

RB: Melee/Quick Melee

Right Stick: Look

Right Stick Press: Toggle Sprint

A: Jump (Go Up in Arch-Wing)

X: Context/Reload (Reload actually says it's unbound, but X still reloads anyways)

B: Roll or something other

Y: Switch Weapons/Hold to switch Melee Weapon

Edited by Eswe666

On 2018-05-27 at 8:12 AM, wizardeiges said:

I've found a fix for this.

Disable your controller through steam. 
Steam top left corner> settings>controller>general controller settings>

Turn off your controller through that.

Now you shouldn't have super sensitivity where just breathing on the right stick will make your camera fly off into space.
Sadly big picture mode must be disabled to get rid of the super sensitivity..

A problem i've been unable to fix though is the look stick having 2x slower movement with up and down but left and right move at normal speeds so it's near impossible to use.
I've given up on playing warframe until this new change is changed back.
Never have I played a game where different directions moved at completely different speeds..seriously,what even.

You can sorta fix this by actually enabling the XBox Controller Support in Steam. The way I understand it, this will basically cause Steam to emulate Mouse Input which bypasses the messed up look controls Warframe has going on for Gamepads and gives you a nice, linear analog input. Couple of gotchas though:

• Sensitivity will be through the roof, but can be toned done by reducing the non-controller look sensitivity settings to a bare minimum (I have mine set to about 5)
  • This seems to make all controller related settings in Warframe non functional (most notably sensitivity, see above). Button bindings also don't seem to have an effect anymore, but can be adjusted in the controller binding menu of Steam itself
  • Rumble won't work anymore
  • I think you don't have to have Big Picture Mode enabled for this to work (I manage to play without), but I think you need to enable it to get to the controller settings
  • Sometimes has some minor hiccups, especially in the settings menu where you sometimes can't select things properly. Works fine most of the time though

I'm not sure what's up with the default look controls, but it seems intentional, like some sort of non-linear curve that's applied to the analog stick input. At any rate it would be great if they could add an option to just toggle that off, because at least to me that makes the game pretty much unplayable with a gamepad without the above workaround.

4 hours ago, VigilanteXII said:

You can sorta fix this by actually enabling the XBox Controller Support in Steam. The way I understand it, this will basically cause Steam to emulate Mouse Input which bypasses the messed up look controls Warframe has going on for Gamepads and gives you a nice, linear analog input. Couple of gotchas though:

• Sensitivity will be through the roof, but can be toned done by reducing the non-controller look sensitivity settings to a bare minimum (I have mine set to about 5)
  • This seems to make all controller related settings in Warframe non functional (most notably sensitivity, see above). Button bindings also don't seem to have an effect anymore, but can be adjusted in the controller binding menu of Steam itself
  • Rumble won't work anymore
  • I think you don't have to have Big Picture Mode enabled for this to work (I manage to play without), but I think you need to enable it to get to the controller settings
  • Sometimes has some minor hiccups, especially in the settings menu where you sometimes can't select things properly. Works fine most of the time though

I'm not sure what's up with the default look controls, but it seems intentional, like some sort of non-linear curve that's applied to the analog stick input. At any rate it would be great if they could add an option to just toggle that off, because at least to me that makes the game pretty much unplayable with a gamepad without the above workaround.

Everything you listed are the exact reasons I stopped using the Steam Client for Warframe for my Elite controller.  Since I paid that much for my controller, I want it to work properly.  The Steam client was blocking that.  DE Stand Alone Client works perfectly for me without all that Steam mess thankfully. 

Edited by DatDarkOne

I suggest to have a togglable option in options menu that would allow you to enable/disable camera following your moving character, no matter if you play on keyboard or gamepad. Explanation and videos in this topic:

I also suggest to tag the main post of this topic as "PC" too as its not only PS4 and Xbox discussion.

Edited by MaxTunnerX