Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

Give controllers all the options for binding in Big Picture Mode that they have outside of Big Picture Mode on PC. If they don't have the former options on consoles then give console players those bind options too.

Allow me to have my controller bindings show up when not using Big Picture Mode for things like inventory, and other menus. 

Give me the option to use my mouse as well as a controller in Big Picture Mode. That way I can navigate chat better. This is especially good for someone who wants to trade. 

Give the Steam Controller the vibration function that other controllers have. The pad supports an emulated rumble, but won't work because the game is SC compatible. Other SC compatible games allow a form of "rumble" so Warframe should too. 

These are my suggestions for a QoL enhancement for the game. 

On 6/20/2016 at 0:29 PM, Cerebrum123 said:

Give controllers all the options for binding in Big Picture Mode that they have outside of Big Picture Mode on PC. If they don't have the former options on consoles then give console players those bind options too.

I didn't even realize the options for controllers changed with Big Picture Mode.  I will have to check that out.  Thanks.  

8 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

I didn't even realize the options for controllers changed with Big Picture Mode.  I will have to check that out.  Thanks.  

Yeah, Big Picture Mode has a better interface for the game's menus, but outside of BPM, you have better controller binding options. 

After a few hundred games I adjust to default have confused the buttons with dark souls for a few seconds But I feel they work well

Well I did Wear out my B button from using my sword too much..... That one am blaming on Microsoft and my addiction to warframe

Edited by (XB1)Itz chibi

It would make the game much easier to play if one could bind the power menu powers to the triggers, so i could for example have R3 for power menu then triggers for each power A B C D, while I can still move and aim at the same time!

It's amazing how in warframe such a fast paced game where a split second matters there's no way to aim move and use abilities at the same time, it's trully crippling, that second longer it takes to cast Smoke Screen or a Bladestorm for example, also casting combos is also super annoying like Saryn

If anyone has an awesome layout they wanna share I'm all ears, but honestly It would be so easy to make it work with the triggers, or at least the dpad, since at least I can aim

also the Secondary fire was much better when it was in the Aim weapon button, maybe some people like it better this way, but why not leave the option in for those of us who enjoy it and maybe can't really find another place for it, where do I put secondary fire so I can aim, move and use powers? anything that makes me take my hands of the analog buttons are dangerous in end game situations, I know the default is R3, but that's my power button, ofc i could change melee to circle, but then I can't aim while I melee and coptering is much harder, also I need crouch on R1 for slided and mobility

So I for one would like the option to get secondary fire into the aim button again

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so hi guys. I like to play Warframe with my Controller on PC and I can't help but notice the lack of options, or rather, the dissonance we get on the two Launchers (Steam and non-Steam) and a few improvements the sticks allow for, that should help even the Console players in this regard in freedom choice when binding stuff.

So things that must be noted: I've been playing ever since the start with my Sixaxis (later, DS3) using the XInput method (Motioninjoy, Better DS3, whetever you guys might use). For the longest time I've been using the old controller layout for the game (screenie here). My current scheme is as follows (thanks Big Picture mode):

Spoiler

iBSZhE6.jpg

You maynotice here the lack of the Roll button. We'll talk about this later, but the way I've played for all this time has been like this.

Upon launching Big Picture Mode on Steam today, I've checked the Controller Layout. I changed it to look like above so I could accomodate to my style (so no Reload/Context, no Melee on B but on RB). One of the things I'm unable to do, however, is separate the Crouch and Slide from Roll. So right now it looks like here:

Spoiler

vkC6dWD.jpg

The way I play the game right now allows me to Bullet Jump quite easily because, since Slide is a toggle on my non-official XInput settings, I am able to use my right thumb to jump effortlessly. Due this option and lack of sepration, though, I'd need to keep my RS pressed to slide because a press is the Roll action. In other words -- my scheme is impossible because the core movement mechanic is not favorable to the stick press play. So on this regard, I'd like to ask for a separate option that works as a toggle and has the roll out (and of course, for those who want it, Roll as a separate mechanic).

And here's the other thing: Sticks should allow us to sprint or not via how far off the neutral position it is. So you know, it'd have 3 positions:

• Slightly pressed to a direction: Move slowly, walk
  • Somewhat pressed: Current non-sprint full speed
  • To the very edge (top capacity): Current sprint max speed.

The idea here is that it should be able to free Left Stick press for another action. Here is where Roll comes in: If you separate roll from Crouch and Slide on a separate option, it could be used on the LS so it feels far, FAR more natural to roll to a direction. Of course people who are accostumed to the current XB1 bindings would still have the choice of keeping it all under the same button on LB, so no one, absolutely no one, would miss out. And in those cases LS could be even another thing. So please, please consider this.

This is on the Controller Binding of things. The other one that I can't believe isn't in: XInput interface on normal version of the game. You could make it selectable on the Launcher or in-game (even if it required a restart) so we could have the Xbox buttons layout around and worked exactly like it should.

While on the non-Steam launcher I can use Y to select the Matchmaking options... Or well, only open the menu. I can't really use it beyond that. Chat is the same: My LT would open chat, but not close it. So that means that when I have chat and Market open, for example, pressing "B" cancels both of them. And well, it's unconfortable.

Another thing with the layout is the lack of, well, controller layout on the Bindings screen. If Big Picture and console can use those cool Controller images that are so clear, why can't we on the normal Launcher? It's something I'm 100% positive that can be done and would make it better. I have to say that Binding wise our normal launcher controller Keybinding settings have more options to bind to the buttons (Crouch and Roll say hello), so there's that too. Making sure that no one misses out.

And one last thing: Keep, of course, the Keyboard+mouse active on PC even with the controller. In case you know, you want to traverse some UI faster or want to use some extra keys for Gear or stuff like that. It's a lifesaver for me to be able to use both. And I'm pretty sure it is to far more people out there too.

Thanks for your time, please if you have any question or opinion on this post on the thread. Thanks :)

Edited by NightmareT12
Added the right pics

I wish menus were transverse-able by controller on PC. Why can't I use RB and LB to flip menu screens, like mods? No, instead I put down my controller, and then go to my keyboard and mouse.

That's my problem with the Controller on PC. You can control MOST things fine from the controller, but there's no support for it in the menus. The consoles get menu support for controllers, because that's all they have, but if you're on PC, you're forced to switch at times.

You would think that they would have the game recognize when a controller was picked up AND being used, that it would switch to a more controller-friendly menu. But no.

1 minute ago, Salenstormwing said:

I wish menus were transverse-able by controller on PC. Why can't I use RB and LB to flip menu screens, like mods? No, instead I put down my controller, and then go to my keyboard and mouse.

That's my problem with the Controller on PC. You can control MOST things fine from the controller, but there's no support for it in the menus. The consoles get menu support for controllers, because that's all they have, but if you're on PC, you're forced to switch at times.

You would think that they would have the game recognize when a controller was picked up AND being used, that it would switch to a more controller-friendly menu. But no.

If you use Steam's Big Picture Mode you can do this for the most part. I know not everyone uses Steam, but it does work. Unfortunately when I last used something other than the Steam Controller it took away some customization options. 

Just now, Cerebrum123 said:

If you use Steam's Big Picture Mode you can do this for the most part. I know not everyone uses Steam, but it does work. Unfortunately when I last used something other than the Steam Controller it took away some customization options. 

I do use Steam, but I do not use "Big Picture Mode". I honestly have no idea what that does. Also, I use a straight-up standard controller from the XB1.

You see, my problem is I've seen other games do the hand-off of Controller to Keyboard+Mouse done fine. The Division (just an example) allows easy use of any and all the menus quite simply. If you use a keyboard, then start to use a controller, the game will automagically switch to showing you all your commands in controller-ese instead of keyboard prompts.

Also, yes, Secondary Fire sucks. I stuck it on my XB1's select button, just so I can blow up simulator orbs. Otherwise, secondary fire is totally worthless. It's fine for switching fire modes like with the Lewis Gun-thing that I can't remember the name of right now where you can go from Full Auto to Semi, but for actual firing... worthless. Alt-Fire should be a toggle for all weapons with secondary fire, verses it's sometimes toggle vs sometimes alt-fire. It's pretty inconsistent. At least then I'd be able to click select for a second, go to shooting with the alt fire mode, then select once more so I could fire normal.

Anyways, just a few thoughts.

Just now, Salenstormwing said:

I do use Steam, but I do not use "Big Picture Mode". I honestly have no idea what that does. Also, I use a straight-up standard controller from the XB1.

You see, my problem is I've seen other games do the hand-off of Controller to Keyboard+Mouse done fine. The Division (just an example) allows easy use of any and all the menus quite simply. If you use a keyboard, then start to use a controller, the game will automagically switch to showing you all your commands in controller-ese instead of keyboard prompts.

Also, yes, Secondary Fire sucks. I stuck it on my XB1's select button, just so I can blow up simulator orbs. Otherwise, secondary fire is totally worthless. It's fine for switching fire modes like with the Lewis Gun-thing that I can't remember the name of right now where you can go from Full Auto to Semi, but for actual firing... worthless. Alt-Fire should be a toggle for all weapons with secondary fire, verses it's sometimes toggle vs sometimes alt-fire. It's pretty inconsistent. At least then I'd be able to click select for a second, go to shooting with the alt fire mode, then select once more so I could fire normal.

Anyways, just a few thoughts.

Big Picture Mode basically will let you use your Steam Interface in a more controller friendly manner. There is a controller shaped button in the upper right of the Steam client, hit that, and it opens BPM. You can control everything there with your controller. You don't need a Steam Controller either, it works fine with any Xinput controller. 

4 minutes ago, Cerebrum123 said:

Big Picture Mode basically will let you use your Steam Interface in a more controller friendly manner. There is a controller shaped button in the upper right of the Steam client, hit that, and it opens BPM. You can control everything there with your controller. You don't need a Steam Controller either, it works fine with any Xinput controller. 

Maybe, but like I said, I've seen it done elsewhere without having to find a workaround. And it's not like they don't have experience with working with multiple platforms with controller use.

6 hours ago, Salenstormwing said:

Maybe, but like I said, I've seen it done elsewhere without having to find a workaround. And it's not like they don't have experience with working with multiple platforms with controller use.

Yeah, I know. DE's really dropped the ball with controller support. Still, if you want controller menus to work, use BPM for a workaround for now. 

What I don't get is why is the PC version's controller setup doesn't work properly outside of gameplay (in menus/foundry/starchart/etc), especially when a perfectly functionnal and efficent setup already exists for consoles.

I assume it's because it's not a priority on PC, but as a Tenno that plays both version, I can't stand playing PC and constantly having to drop my controller to use my mouse because somehow the PC version hasn't natively implemented 100% controller support... Even in big picture mode the experience is still flawed, and you lose the ability to use the in-game chat due to steam's chat overlay.

Your top priority for PC is to ensure that the PC version with a controller works exactly like the Xbox One and PS4 version does. There's others issues specific to the existing console controllers, but arguably... Just give the game proper controller intergration for navigating the menus and such...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm tired of going "I have to drop my controller to use my mouse to leave a squad, to start something in the foundry, to purchase something in the market, to navigate and zoom on the new star chart and so on... We have joysticks and buttons, use them to switch tabs and to navigate the interface like on consoles... The work is already done, you already have a control scheme that works for menus on console. someone just needs to port the console setup back to the PC build... I mean , it's been years and nobody has done this yet ? Why ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

20 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

What I don't get is why is the PC version's controller setup doesn't work properly outside of gameplay (in menus/foundry/starchart/etc), especially when a perfectly functionnal and efficent setup already exists for consoles.

I assume it's because it's not a priority on PC, but as a Tenno that plays both version, I can't stand playing PC and constantly having to drop my controller to use my mouse because somehow the PC version hasn't natively implemented 100% controller support... Even in big picture mode the experience is still flawed, and you lose the ability to use the in-game chat due to steam's chat overlay.

Your top priority for PC is to ensure that the PC version with a controller works exactly like the Xbox One and PS4 version does. There's others issues specific to the existing console controllers, but arguably... Just give the game proper controller intergration for navigating the menus and such...

I'm tired of going "I have to drop my controller to use my mouse to leave a squad, to start something in the foundry, to purchase something in the market, to navigate and zoom on the new star chart and so on... We have joysticks and buttons, use them to switch tabs and to navigate the interface like on consoles... The work is already done, you already have a control scheme that works for menus on console. someone just needs to port the console setup back to the PC build... I mean , it's been years and nobody has done this yet ? Why ?

Have you tried using Steam Big Picture Mode? It does this, but at the cost of controller customizabilty. 

I play with Xbox gamepad on my PC. My only request is to show buttons bindings  (A,B,X,Y,LB,etc..) in tabs like the Xbox one version of the game. Because when I go to Arsenal > Warframe > Upgrade I dont know wich button to use, the icon its not there. on sindicates and navigation too..

2 minutes ago, CrisFenix said:

I play with Xbox gamepad on my PC. My only request is to show buttons bindings  (A,B,X,Y,LB,etc..) in tabs like the Xbox one version of the game. Because when I go to Arsenal > Warframe > Upgrade I dont know wich button to use, the icon its not there. on sindicates and navigation too..

Well, it's a workaround, but launch the game from Steam's Big Picture mode if you have it. It will do just what you ask for. Why they don't have this functionality included in their own client, I have no idea. 

26 minutes ago, Cerebrum123 said:

Well, it's a workaround, but launch the game from Steam's Big Picture mode if you have it. It will do just what you ask for. Why they don't have this functionality included in their own client, I have no idea. 

Omg! This Works! Thanks man! Exactly what I needed!

Although they don't show outside of Big Picture mode, some of the button commands still work. I like everything about Big Picture mode except how it fubars the chat.  Not much of a problem if you don't chat with your clannies (or use trade chat) much.  

On 7/23/2016 at 9:42 PM, DatDarkOne said:

Although they don't show outside of Big Picture mode, some of the button commands still work. I like everything about Big Picture mode except how it fubars the chat.  Not much of a problem if you don't chat with your clannies (or use trade chat) much.  

To be honest, I would be glad if they just let us see the mouse cursor in BPM when trying to chat. It would make things a lot better. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)Boy_Joker said:

i recommend ps4 dualshock 4 controller because it has more buttons than the xbox controller. 

That still will not resolve the issue with controllers on PC version.  Controllers work fine in game, but it's navigating the menus were it's not supported.  Only Steam's Big Picture mode give complete control in the menus.