Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console & PC Controller / Gamepad Suggestions

(PSN)Crackle2012

On 7/27/2016 at 10:24 PM, DatDarkOne said:

That still will not resolve the issue with controllers on PC version.  Controllers work fine in game, but it's navigating the menus were it's not supported.  Only Steam's Big Picture mode give complete control in the menus.  

I need to get around to figuring out Big Picture Mode. Controlling Warframe with controller-only is impossible. Come on DE, other game devs can do K+M/Controller detection on the fly, so can you!

Just to add to this thread; Controller uses A press for Archwing boost which makes it impossible to steer/aim while boosting. This makes things like persuit mode nearly impossible and Rush becomes totally impossible. It's even worse in any corpus ship level because you cannot adjust for drift as you boost.

Boost needs to have a toggle option at the least.

I'm also a little annoyed that console versions of the game are nearly full caught up with PC development but there is still no thought to controller support when designing new features or control schemes. At this point in time PC should already have full controller support (and testing) in all functions if not just to normalize the builds and prevent work duplication.

19 hours ago, Wandrecanada said:

Just to add to this thread; Controller uses A press for Archwing boost which makes it impossible to steer/aim while boosting. This makes things like persuit mode nearly impossible and Rush becomes totally impossible. It's even worse in any corpus ship level because you cannot adjust for drift as you boost.

Boost needs to have a toggle option at the least.

You can configure that function to a different button.  I have it on my d-pad and use the Elite controller's underside paddles to boost/jump while still having controller of the analogs. 

On 7/29/2016 at 11:10 AM, Salenstormwing said:

I need to get around to figuring out Big Picture Mode. Controlling Warframe with controller-only is impossible. Come on DE, other game devs can do K+M/Controller detection on the fly, so can you!

What part do you need to figure out? I use it a lot, so I can try and help if you need it. 

On 7/30/2016 at 3:07 PM, DatDarkOne said:

You can configure that function to a different button.  I have it on my d-pad and use the Elite controller's underside paddles to boost/jump while still having controller of the analogs. 

Don't have an Elite. Doesn't help me. If you're going to make a controller default mapping you need to assume the base level controller which is 360 layout (or I guess Xbox One now that 360 is gonzo).

This is why it makes sense to have a toggle. Just like sprint toggle or crouch toggle. Frees up the digits for more control inputs. Hold for anything should be a default choice. Hell you could even have boost on long press and make short press is dodge function (break boost on B/Red/Circle). That would be a far more efficient way of dealing with boost.

3 hours ago, Wandrecanada said:

Don't have an Elite. Doesn't help me. If you're going to make a controller default mapping you need to assume the base level controller which is 360 layout (or I guess Xbox One now that 360 is gonzo).

I'm sorry for not being clearer. What I meant was that you can reconfigure the boost to another button. Like the left or right number button. Before I got my elite and before AW flight changes, I was doing the same with the 360/xbox1 controller. You will more than likely have to experiment with different control scheme to find the one to your liking.

My goal was to still give myself aim control while still being able to parkour. It translated pretty well for AW also.

18 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

I'm sorry for not being clearer. What I meant was that you can reconfigure the boost to another button. Like the left or right number button. Before I got my elite and before AW flight changes, I was doing the same with the 360/xbox1 controller. You will more than likely have to experiment with different control scheme to find the one to your liking.

No worries. I did not find a button mapping labeled specifically for boosting in the game UI. However they biggest issue becomes the ability to boost while both thumbs are occupied and still be able to aim, fire and use powers. While some people might be able to perform these hand gymnastics I can't manage it.

Toggle can almost completely avoid all the pitfalls of any action that does not need a constant input. The challenge will be what causes the toggle to auto disable it.

On 27/7/2016 at 6:24 PM, llls1cKb0ylll said:

hey DE can we have full support for xbox 360 gamepad on pc? it sucks that u have to use the mouse for some stuff... i play on my tv room so it's pretty annoying

Thanks for the work around -- at least that easies stuff a bit.

Still something DE should consider to do -- it feels a bit punishing otherwise, and we know it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding the newest controls rather impossible to get a grasp of, partly due to what feels like a lack of button assignment or clear indicators. When "Sprinting" we lose all means of vertical ascent, and can only dive.  There's no way to shift slightly in any given direction now, instead making full leaps left and right, or dropping out of the sprint all together.  I also find it difficult to know exactly what the L1 buttons or analog sticks will do at any given times, as it's nearly impossible to tell what stance the game thinks I am in.  As an example:

L3 for "sprint" mode, then melee a few times. if you press L1 within a short period you will begin to ascend, like you are in "target" mode I'll call it. If you keep holding L1 through the holster animation, you will then suddenly boost as it remembers what mode your are in, sometimes.

God help you if you are holding a direction either, because the controls will behave like target view for a for a little bit, then also arbitrarily remember you're in the 360 degree mode and slam the warframe into the nearest surface, whipping the camera around and being generally the most disorienting thing possible.

Couple this with exceedingly slippery controls, and it makes it very difficult to maneuver in the interior areas or effectively use the boost as there is zero ability to course-correct minor deviations, especially up or down as there had been in the previous method of control. It also is extremely hard to drive a straight line with an analog stick, as even the most minor angle will result in effectively spinning out, and pulling left or right might result in either a complete 90 degree turn or a camera based aeileron roll completely counter to the rest of the "Sprint" control scheme. pretty much never the one useful for the situation though.

All this, and the cherry on top is having to drastically shift control schemes every time I click a button. or sometimes don't as demonstrated in the melee example.

please include a legacy control method. This scheme is very cleared suited for a mouse and keyboard, not for a controller.

As someone that plays with a controller on PC, my biggest issue is key bindings. With the addition of focus, I have nowhere to put the focus power button without removing other functions (secondary fire or way points)(also secondary fire is a pain since it's on the analogue stick press...)

But the game already has a system to reduce this, the Power Menu. The problem? The power menu system as is simply cannot work for powers in a fast paced game like WF. It works in games like Dragon Age because there is a pause time function and it's much slower paced. Powers need timing and and/or quick use, something that a combo system can mess up often, so I had to remap them to the D-pad.

The solution is simple, allow other actions to be bound in the Power Menu. It would solve the key binding issue. It would be like having nearly twice the number of buttons on your controller.

Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Demon.King said:

The solution is simple, allow other actions to be bound in the Power Menu. It would solve the key binding issue. It would be like having nearly twice the number of buttons on your controller.

That would be heaven if it did function like an Alt key.  There are certain commands that I don't need instant access to 24/7.  Like the waypoint command.  If I could put that on the power menu instead, that would open up other button slots for other things. 

make r2 and l2 the melee buttons instead of circle (i love ps controller scheme, i always forget which buttons are in xbox controller), so when you switch to melee you hit with r2 and block with l2, that will be amazing because you have the thumbs free

Edited by Vasault

So I've read today that Sony is planning in launching a USB dongle that allows, officially, to connect your DS4 to your PC. Mainly for PlayStation Now, but apparently, they've said that it could keep all functionalities in games in which the devs want to do so.

So we have an official PS4 version of Warframe, I wonder if DE could try to do that? :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 7:24 PM, DatDarkOne said:

That still will not resolve the issue with controllers on PC version.  Controllers work fine in game, but it's navigating the menus were it's not supported.  Only Steam's Big Picture mode give complete control in the menus.  

DS4 (Most common PS4 Controller on PC Program) innately lets the touchpad be used as laptop styled trackpad, effectively allowing mouse + click inputs from a controller.

I just tested this with a friends PS4 controller just to see what would happen when connecting it to my PC (For my own curiosity). Let's just say that I don't like the PS4 controller enough to download a non-official driver program for it.  It is a great option for those that do prefer the DS4.  Would be better if Sony would release official drivers for it themselves. :D

Spoiler

I know for a fact that Microsoft isn't allowed to create drivers for it as it would get them in trouble with the Anti-trust/monopoly legal issues.  I know this because I was told when I worked there.

Before we get QoL adjustments for in game play, I'd like to see the menus being finished. I have to put down my gamepad a lot as for some reason some menus do not work. Since we spend a lot time in these menus it'd make the whole thing a bit more bearable as I find the in game controls fine for now. I agree that more customization options might be cool. 

I am going to try jump on RB later, seems like a good idea especially if i put activate power on A.

My bindings if you are interested:

LT/RT - Aim/Fire

LB/RB - Crouch/Use power

Left Stick/L3 - Move/Toggle Sprint

Right Stick/R3 - Look/Secondary Fire

Up/Down/Left/Right - Waypoint/Consumables Radial Menu/Change Power Left/Change Power Right

A//B - Jump/Quick Melee

X - Reload/Context (I just pay attention to the screen pop ups and stay away from life support)

Y - Change weapons/Hold to equip Melee

I find it quitte difficult to charge with R2 and guide the aim with R3 on a PS controler. The cramp between the index and the thumb is really preventing me to do a good aim on a long range enemy. So, I would sugest an "automatic charge" option. Where you choose either: hold to charge and release to fire (default) OR 'automatic charge' and you only tap to fire.

[I believe the PC game already has a similar trigger mode/cheat where you use the left mouse button and the scroll wheel, but I was inspired by the game Megaman which has a similar option]

.... you are using your index finger on R2? That seems counter to the controller design to me...

The only way the controller use feels natural to me is to use R1 with index, and R2 with my middle finger. This allows me to use both triggers at the same time (i.e. L2 to slide while holding L1 to channel).

But then, I changed the controller settings to make R1 my fire button, so holding R1 while aiming is not an issue for me.