Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stuck? Type "/escape" To Escape!

shut

Title. Basically, the exact same system that Vindictus has-- if you find yourself stuck somewhere, you can type in the command, which will teleport you to a normal path nearby after roughly 10 seconds. Any movement during this time will cancel the command, so you can't abuse it by using it to dodge monsters or something.

Not perfect, but it's definitely a start.

I suggest this because I got stuck between a group of lockers and a wall and had to forfeit the entire mission. Half an hour well spent.

Devs have stated in the live streams that they would rather you get stuck and then report as a bug so they can fix it rather than give you an escape command so you can escape and not tell them and then they'll never find out where the map bugs are. 

Devs have stated in the live streams that they would rather you get stuck and then report as a bug so they can fix it rather than give you an escape command so you can escape and not tell them and then they'll never find out where the map bugs are. 

Then why don't we have a bug report system in-game?

@CosyPigeon Why not both?

There's a lot of bugs out there, and crushing them all is going to take forever. Might as well make everyone happy by putting in a simple workaround/bandaid solution, then get back to actually squashing the bugs one by one.

Edited by SortaRandom

There's a lot of bugs out there, and crushing them all is going to take forever. Might as well make everyone happy by putting in a simple workaround/bandaid solution, then get back to actually squashing the bugs one by one.

Both is a good idea. They should have it where you type /escape and then have the game stop momentarly so that it may create a report on the tileset, location, and actions taken to get into that area where you were stuck, and send it to DE. Then allow the game to continue going afterwards with you no longer stuck.

That would nip it in the bud for two problems for everyone.

I disagree with them and believe they should reconsider. There are always players that love playing the game and exploring and finding every bug possible - evidence of this is easily found by looking around, like in this topic. An /unstuck command will help these players actually report bugs - otherwise, they have to reload that tileset again and again until they find the right tile, and if they have any drop they want to keep when they find it, it becomes too dangerous to try to replicate the bug at all.

On the other hand, there are players that will just grit their teeth in frustration and they won't report the bug anyway, because they have no incentive to. Once they know the bug is there, they can just avoid it. It's only when the bug happens a lot and is hard to avoid that it gets an outcry (like Void doors). Otherwise, most players will just move on. Some players will report it - of these, some will be mostly incoherent, angry rants, and some will be comprehensible - but I don't see any reason not to stick to the players that would report bugs and errors anyway, and log more detailed reports in the process.

/unstuck will encourage players who want to report bugs to do so, and they will be able to record it and log more comprehensive bug reports in the process. They could also attach an automatic process to the /unstuck command that sends data about the game to the devs directly, to facilitate bug reporting further.

It will also avoid punishing players for exploration and for being one of the first to try out a new map, and remove plenty of frustration from those who enjoy exploration.

Both is a good idea. They should have it where you type /escape and then have the game stop momentarly so that it may create a report on the tileset, location, and actions taken to get into that area where you were stuck, and send it to DE. Then allow the game to continue going afterwards with you no longer stuck.

That would nip it in the bud for two problems for everyone.

I like this.

I like this a lot.

CosyPigeon, on 17 Jun 2013 - 1:48 PM, said:

Some games have systems where if you use the command, an automatic bug report with a screenshot and coordinates are sent to the developers.

Truthfully speaking, if you get stuck in a map and had to abort and lose everything you collected, what are you going to do? File a straight forward bug report or get angry that they have a broken system and tell everyone about it?

If you find a good group, what are you going to do? "Wait wait guys, give me 20 minutes, let me file this bug report"?

The game is in Beta, they might as well give us tool to deal with the broken bits they didn't have time to polish up.

I'm not playing devil's advocate, just relaying information for OP's benefit. An in game bug report system would probably be widely appreciated if it was implemented properly. 

Quetzhal already knows my stance on the issue, as it mirrors his own. The statement by Scott that unstuck would only discourage bug reports is rather naïve and short sighted. This may be the first MMO game they've worked on, but people don't need programming experience to see that there is one solution that could help both crowds.

By uploading the EE.log and the player's location variables for the map to the server BEFORE unsticking the player, they would get both a valuable bug report (It's accurate too, none of this "I was on this <vague tileset description> and <vague issue> here bulldust") and happy players. Heck, if they wanted, they could add a little optional text box that had a minimum non-identical character limit asking the player to describe the issue at hand.

I've already lost a Despair BP to this lovely current system, and it has basically discouraged me from actually exploring for the time being, simply because this might be a map where I see the stalker, and if I get stuck, I'll lose potential goodies, not to mention my resources and mods I've already accrued.

If the unstuck tool had a bug reporting tool as well then maybe people would actually report bugs. There's no reason why the tool can't take a SS and send to DE while asking the player for a quick summary about why they had to use the command.

I have never reported a bug. Want to know why? It's because I'm not going to stop mid mission to go to the forums and then post about this bug. If there's a tool in-game to report these bugs then I imagine the quantity and quality of feedback would increase greatly.