Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lunaro Rules!

[DE]Steve

Do you like the double entendre title? Lunaro's release on PC is imminent. I wanted to share with you Teshin's rule book, which is also accessible in the game when activating the Lunaro 'Practice' button in the UI (which is a great way to get a feel for launching the Lunaro with your Arcata).

Spoiler

sst: here is how to access Lunaro & 'Practice' mode:
https://gfycat.com/AnnualSingleFoxterrier

We've iterated on this mode quite a bit, aiming for a slightly less frantic pace, a mode that demands teamwork and coordinated plays and actively discourages one-man-army hogging the ball. To that end, there are few rules you'll need to get accustomed to when you begin your Lunaro career. Here is Teshin's rule book...

History
Lunaro. Ancient sport of the lost Orokin era. Here, on this abandoned field, Tenno will come together in the spirit of honor and teamwork to resurrect this forgotten tradition. Let me explain how it works...

The Objective
Lunaro is a team game, played on a field divided into two halves: Sun and Moon. The objective is simple: get the ball, called a ‘Lunaro’, through the opponent’s goal at the opposite end of the arena. The team with the most points by the end of the match wins the game.

Arcata (Launcher)
To get possession of the Lunaro, you simply touch it. It will pull into your arm-mounted launcher, called your ‘Arcata’. Launch the Lunaro by tapping the fire button. Holding the fire button for the duration of the throw will launch it further. Your Arcata is also equipped with a range-limited attractor. Hold the aim button to attract the Lunaro when it is near. Catching, interceptions and guarding your team’s goal rely on this.

Clearing the Zone
Each team’s goal has a semi-circle area on the field around it, called the Zone. After scoring the attacking team must clear the defender’s zone. Attackers within the zone will have their Arcatas disabled until they clear out. Play resumes with the Lunaro dropping from the defender’s zone. Only the beginning and half-time Lunaro drops occur at center field.

Carrying The Lunaro
The Lunaro contains an ancient and unstable energy. This creates a few carrying rules for the Lunaro. First, you cannot carry the Lunaro for more than 5 seconds, or it will explode. Second, you cannot Bullet Jump with the Lunaro. Doing so drops the Lunaro immediately. These rules encourage teamwork, passing and rebounds to attain victory.

Checking
Use your melee attack and/or Arcata strikes to check other players. Checking the ball carrier will jar the Lunaro loose. Repeated checking of a player will knock them down for a short time. The Lunaro itself can also be struck, making it dangerous and unstable for a few seconds. Being hit by an unstable Lunaro will knock you down.

Passing
Good passing is crucial to winning Lunaro. When aiming near a teammate you will see a chevron appear over them. Tapping fire with this chevron up will automatically pass to that player. Keep in mind it is still possible to intercept a pass, but a passed Lunaro moves faster and more accurately to a receiver than a standard launch.

Scoring
Getting the Lunaro through the opponents goal is worth one point. If the goal is scored from outside the defender’s zone, an additional point is given. If the Lunaro is unstable during the goal, an extra point is also awarded.

Now... practice in this empty arena. Familiarize yourself with the Arcata’s launching and attracting modes. Practice scoring, rebounding and checking. Prepare yourself, Tenno, for the glory of the Lunaro!

Thanks Teshin, you stern-stud, you!

The only thing I'd add to this is good teams don't clump on the Lunaro, instead they assign roles, one guarding the goal and the others looking to make plays off of a pass.

GL;HF

Bonus QA

What happens to the Lunaro when it explodes? It knocks the carrier down and ejects in a random direction, a short distance away on the field.

How do Warframe Powers/Stats/Passive and my Mods affect it? They don't. We are trying out Lunaro as 'pure' and simple as we could stand. No powers, mods are disabled, all Warframe stats are the same... you'll still look cool as hell though!

Bullet Jump drops the Lunaro, what about Double Jump, Sliding, etc? Only Bullet Jump and over-long carry will force the Lunaro out of your Arcata (dropping it). You receive a pass after Bullet Jumping by activating Aim Glide, and slam dunk it into the goal. Instigated the Bullet Jump is the drop trigger. Again: You can Bullet Jump with the Lunaro in your hand, but it will leave the ball behind.

EDIT: I clarifying Bullet Jump catches - you must activate Aim Glide to receive it in air, if you're still playing the Bullet Jump animation you can't catch it.

Edited by [DE]Steve

Sounds fun.

2 questions though.

1: Does the lunaro respawn if it explodes? If it does, where? What happens to the ball carrier when it explodes (knockdown, death?).

2: what warframe stats matter? Is our frame just a cosmetic choice in lunaro, or does it use the mobility stats from regular conclave? I'm assuming that warframe powers are disabled, as lunaro isn't a blood sport.

• Like 1

Just now, Zoracraft said:

Sounds fun.

2 questions though.

1: Does the lunaro respawn if it explodes? If it does, where? What happens to the ball carrier when it explodes (knockdown, death?).

2: what warframe stats matter? Is our frame just a cosmetic choice in lunaro, or does it use the mobility stats from regular conclave? I'm assuming that warframe powers are disabled, as lunaro isn't a blood sport.

Let me edit the main post, great questions

2 hours ago, [DE]Steve said:

What happens to the Lunaro when it explodes? It knocks the carrier down and ejects a short distance away on the field.

(Sorry for the nitpick) Which direction will it eject to?
The direction of your frame is currently facing, the direction of your crosshair is currently aimed at, or is it just a random direction?

Edit : Also, Bullet Jumps are disabled while carrying the Lunaro, but what about rolls, slides and jumps?

Edited by Neah

"

How do Warframe stats and Mods affect it? We are trying out Lunaro as 'pure' and simple as we could stand. Mods are disabled, all Warframe stats are the same. You'll still look cool as hell though!

"

What of passives for Warframes? There are certain warframes with passives that enhances mobility; notable ones that come to mind are Nezha (extra slide, which can be used to sprint faster), Zephyr (less gravity), and Mirage (faster parkour maneuver speeds).

3 minutes ago, BCAW said:

"

How do Warframe stats and Mods affect it? We are trying out Lunaro as 'pure' and simple as we could stand. Mods are disabled, all Warframe stats are the same. You'll still look cool as hell though!

"

What of passives for Warframes? There are certain warframes with passives that enhances mobility; notable ones that come to mind are Nezha (extra slide, which can be used to sprint faster), Zephyr (less gravity), and Mirage (faster parkour maneuver speeds).

Passives are disabled in Lunaro as part of this simplicity goal.

The Lunaro itself can also be struck, making it dangerous and unstable for a few seconds. Being hit by an unstable Lunaro will knock you down.

Can unstable Lunaro be catched or struck further? 

A couple Devstreams back, you guys mentioned something along the line of "players coming up with strategies that were unexpected." Based on the limited information you have generously provided us with, I predict the following strategies:

Assuming unstable Lunaros cannot be caught but can be struck, players will intentionally destabilize the Lunaro for the whole game to keep it out of the other team's position, and rely completely on striking to pass and score.

Assuming the unstable Lunaro can be struck AND caught, it would turn into a game of dodgeball, where the optimal method of getting past the opponent's defense would be to charge up a Lunaro, catch it, and use it as a projectile to knock their goalie out.

10 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Oh Steve, I'm so thrilled about this now. May I ask when are you guys aiming to release this? (I mean, did you schedule it for today or tomorrow?)

Also, thanks to Reddit I must say this reminds me of Kolhii more than Rocket league, hmm...

TODAY is the goal. Yeah I was afraid it would come off as RL rip off but I'm happy to say it is not playing like RL at all IMO. Its our most relaxed competitive mode, but its still very "Warframe".

5 minutes ago, Mormodes said:

Will there be dedicated servers or are we at the mercy of the player that's hosting?

There are no dedicated servers for this release. However... we have been working on our dedicated server code solid for weeks now. We are planning to start small by releasing an experimental launcher option soon for generous Tenno willing to volunteer their beast PC/spares as dedicated server to be used by our matching system. This is coming soon for Lunaro (week(s)?). If we get enough momentum we'll be looking at expanding this as 'first come first server' for official tourneys and the like.

7 minutes ago, [DE]Steve said:

TODAY is the goal. Yeah I was afraid it would come off as RL rip off but I'm happy to say it is not playing like RL at all IMO. Its our most relaxed competitive mode, but its still very "Warframe".

But will it still behave like Conclave and give XP to the Frames? I guess that only the frames would get XP since there's no weapons, though I'd say that a very small percentage of XP going to gear would be a nice way to get at least a few levels while having fun and have a head start instead of just feeling like we might be losing time because we are not power levelling gear.

I mean, it would be a nice bonus but by no means required. I'm not a fan of PvP at all (any PvP game really, only Overwatch seems interesting to me since team play actually seems to matter there, but can't play it anyway), but this game mode looks really fun. I really like the look of UI, different from our usual UI, but looks good and fitting. Great Job!

Oh, and I wonder if any inspiration came from Unreal Tournament's Bombing Run mode. It is a different game mode that still allows weapons and killing, but is all around carrying a ball (well, a bomb) and put it in a "goal". It was a really fun and different mode in those games and it was pretty great (didn't DE worked at some degree in the Unreal games as well?).

Edited by God_is_a_Cat_Girl

I Am overall mixed with what i think of it. I think it will be fun but may also end up like conclave and/or archwing which i hope it wont. The sad part is those to game modes are relatively ignored (mainly archwing) with some of the last content for it coming out over 3 big updates ago. I think it will be fun as hell but worried it will die off like archwing.

Edited by Brickstar788

When you say you get a bonus point for the Lunaro being unstable when you get a goal does that mean you let it explode on you and it happens to make a goal (since it says it flys off in a random direction) or is there some way of guiding it?

Edited by -Amaterasu-
Typos

OMG!! Need defilibrator to jump start the Servers pretty Soon... If Lunaros comes out tonight!! 

*takes spyglass to look at horizon and notices a great crowd, myriads upon myriads of Tenno approaching in a clowd* 

Please Steve, I beg you to put the coffee machine close to the servers! >.>

Steve your awesome thanks for taking the time out to speak to the community and for all your hard work. I feel that you guys dont get enough praise as people dont understand how much hard work actually goes into development so thank you again.

I am Looking forward to the new Lunaro mode and the next few quests  / releases that you have planned. I would also definately be willing to host a server /s for you guys all

I would need in return is some awesome looking sigil or tenno Goodies maybe even similar perks to guides of the lotus :O

:)

10 minutes ago, God_is_a_Cat_Girl said:

But will it still behave like Conclave and give XP to the Frames? I guess that only the frames would get XP since there's no weapons, though I'd say that a very small percentage of XP going to gear would be a nice way to get at least a few levels while having fun and have a head start instead of just feeling like we might be losing time because we are not power levelling gear.

I mean, it would be a nice bonus but by no means required. I'm not a fan of PvP at all (any PvP game really, only Overwatch seems interesting to me since team play actually seems to matter there, but can't play it anyway), but this game mode looks really fun. I really like the look of UI, different from our usual UI, but looks good and fitting. Great Job!

Oh, and I wonder if any inspiration came from Unreal Tournament's Bombing Run mode. It is a different game mode that still allows weapons and killing, but is all around carrying a ball (well, a bomb) and put it in a "goal". It was a really fun and different mode in those games and it was pretty great (didn't DE worked at some degree in the Unreal games as well?).

Yep, you gain XP/conclave standing from Lunaro! And yes, DE did Bombing Run way back in the day, I wrote some of the code and did some FX for it :P (shakes cane)