Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Controller Debug Thread

StealthDragoon

Hello. I've been playing Warframe with the Steam Controller since last winter. I've compiled a small list of the problems I've encountered. Note that I'm using DE's Official config (customized) while playing the game in Big Picture Mode and using the Steam Beta client frequently.

~MAJOR~

- Conclave Wrong Action Set (aka Broken Seasonal Event): I receive a direct PM from user "bati5a" from inside the game. He told me Conclave was broken with SC. I went in and tried the Seasonal Event myself. The Action Set is indeed stuck on "Menu" instead of the regular "Game/Melee" set it should be. This does not occur in regular alerts. I also tried both Normal and Beta Steam client and it happens in both. This is similar to previously encountered issue where action sets failed to trigger properly.

~MINOR~

- Ayatan Statue Cursor Problem : A very similar bug that was encountered with the new star chart. When you try to place Gems inside Ayatan Statues, the joystick cursor will be badly aligned with the selection. Like the previous startchart bug, my selection is always at the bottom-right of what I'm pointing at with the cursor.

---FIXED---

Using Search fields = No more input: Trying to use search fields (mod bench, arsenal, etc) will disable your controller input entirely and Steam's keyboard doesn't pop up. For me, this action is bound the left joystick click. The only thing that works at that point is to exit the game via BPM menu. (Fixed in SOTR1 update)

- Startchart Cursor Is Off: When you move the joystick around the startchart, the targeting square is not pointing directly what I'm aiming at. The "invisible cursor" under the targeting square is not following correctly. Edit: I found out this a resolution problem. I tried my SC on someone else's PC with a different resolution and this bug wasn't present. I use 1360x768 as native resolution. Edit 2: After changing the Aspect Ratio form Auto to 16:9, this issue fixed itself. This could still be problematic/confusing for others.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/269470916081349745/E23299D48263A6B35F9641EE75E53CB60CD02F5A/ (Fixed in SOTR6 upddate)

- Selecting Void Fissure Relic = No DPad/Joystick: When you open the Void Relic menu to close a fissure, trying to move the selection box with DPad or Joystick does nothing. (Fixed in SORT7-8)

- Archwing Camera Sensitivity Bug: If I play any Archwing mission, it will increase aiming sensitivity permanently until the game is reset.This effect carries on into normal WF gameplay so that means if I play any Archwing at all, I have to reset the game because my aiming sensitivity is off the chart. (Fixed in ???. Found out about the new archwing camera options)

- Cannot send Gifts: When you try to gift something from the store to someone, you have to input a text message. Steam Keyboard open but when you finish typing, nothing happens. This used to follow up with the "Send gift to XYZ?" question prompt but it doesn't anymore. This also happens with kb/m too. (Fixed in SOTR U1)

- Mod Bench Reseting Selection: The mod bench is in working order, however it's so bad that I decided to include it in here anyways. When you fuse mod with a controller, you always have to scroll your selection box to the far right to scroll the list. When you choose a stack of duplicate mods to fuse into another mod, your selection box will always reset to the far left, making scroll allllllll the way back to the right again only to have it happen again on the next stack.

It's so bad that when it's time to fuse mods, I just log out and re-log in with kb/m. From my point of view, the mod screen itself could use a re-haul... (More or less solved with the new Endo system).

- Cannot Revive when dead: As I previously reported in this thread (https://forums.warframe.com/topic/651312-steam-controller-cannot-revive-when-dead/#comment-7283477) , you cannot revive when you die. This issue has been present since Inaros was added to the game. Edit: According to some other post, this issue is also present in PVP. (Fixed in TSG4 Hotfix)

-- Holster/Other Sliders = No DPad/Joystick: Using DPad or Joystick in holster slider menus does nothing. (Fixed in new Steam Controller 26/08/2016 Firmware update)

- Lunaro : According to a certain forum post, Steam Controller is unresponsive in Lunaro. I never tried Lunaro so I couldn't have known. (Fixed in new Steam Controller 26/08/2016 Firmware update)

- Shadow Mouse Selection: If at any time your are using the controller and somehow use your mouse, the cursor will reappear on the screen. Problem with that is that the mouse will always re-highlight whatever it was pointing, making joystick/dpad navigation obsolete unless you move the mouse into a corner.

i.e. Hover the mouse over your WF aura slot, then try to move the selection box down with the controller. After going down once or twice, the selection box will re-highlight the WF aura slot.

Edit: To remedy this manually without mouse, I set up the Gyro to activate with Left Grip in the Menu action set. (Fixed in new Steam Controller 26/08/2016 Firmware update)

- Using Ingame Keyboard = Stuck in "Menu" set : This used to work correctly before. Now when you use the in game keyboard to chat while using the SC, the action set will stay stuck on "Menu", making you lose control of your character when you're done typing. (fixed recently, unknown when exactly)

- Action Sets out of order: I completely re-edited this entry. Warframe's Action set order was scrambled after a certain Steam Beta update a while ago. Switching back to normal client fixed it. However, since the new SC firmware update (26/08/2016), this problem has seeped in the normal Steam client. I also noticed you guys added a new Lunaro action set, which now makes Warframe the game with the highest Action Set count for an official config.

Currently, the current action set order is like this : Decoration / Launcher / Lunaro / Menu / Game / Melee.

When you launch the game via BPM, the launcher uses the "Decoration" action set. I can confirm this as I bound Left Click to an unbound key and clicked the Start button.

As for the other action sets, everything seems to be in order. (fixed recently, unknown when exactly)

- Dead Controller Since TWW update : Ever since the TWW update, the SC's action set will stay stuck on "Launcher" and will not change. This makes the SC obsolete for your game..........

- Titania #4 Melee (Diwata) Unresponsive : When using Titania's #4 and switch to melee, you cannot attack or use channeling.

Edit: I opened BPM while using her #4 and noticed the action set used is "Game", the one usually reserved for guns. Yet, Quick Melee does nothing.

- Mission Result/Last Mission Screen Sometimes Unresponsive : An odd one because it doesn't happen all the time. When you finish a mission or check your last mission result, the controller becomes unresponsive. On inspection, it seems to be related to a wrong Action set tabbing.

I remedied this by adding Esc to the Start button as Longpress to both the Game and Melee action sets.

- Dead Controller Since TWW 19.0.5, action set stuck : Broken in the first TWW, then fixed in 19.0.4, then broken again 19.0.5.... (fixed in 19.0.6)

That's it for now. If I find anything new, I'll bump this thread and update OP. I'll be looking forward to future updates.

Edited by StealthDragoon
Added Wrong action set for Conclave.

• 4 weeks later...

Removed Archwing Camera Sensitivity bug. I don't know exactly in which hotfix it was fixed. Archwing sensitivity doesn't follow up in regular WF mode anymore.

Also, I feel a bit foolish for not scrolling down more in the option where the new Archwing camera option are. :facepalm:

A suggestion: To make using the outer ring of the stick/touchpad more useful for movement, it would be really nice to get a native function for Sprint (Hold), the current implementation seems to be a toggle which is kind of odd to work with with that style of bind, seeing as that bind has potential to be pretty useful it would be a nice feature to add, can bind it to the regular kb key in any case for now though I guess

1 minute ago, Drex83 said:

A suggestion: To make using the outer ring of the stick/touchpad more useful for movement, it would be really nice to get a native function for Sprint (Hold), the current implementation seems to be a toggle which is kind of odd to work with with that style of bind, seeing as that bind has potential to be pretty useful it would be a nice feature to add, can bind it to the regular kb key in any case for now though I guess

There IS native Sprint support in the BPM ingame keys. Look in your WF options, there is a sprint toggle there. Turn it off when using the SC.

I have zero problem with it now, even more with the Mode Shifting that disables Sprinting.

I know of the sprint option already. The problem for me is that if I choose to use PC controls I want that on, if I choose to use gamepad, I want that off for outer ring buttons, but on if I want to bind it to a single button to toggle it. It would be nicer if they just had a different native item for Sprint (Hold) and Sprint (Toggle), or add those both as an option based on input device in the game.

Also on a tangent, think it'd be nice if they'd add a way to toggle gamepad mode in the game without using big picture's overlay and/or also merge the in game steam controller prompts with the PC clickable buttons, I guess in general just a tad more polish. While I'd like it to be more minimalist and see button prompts and such, if something goes goofy, or a mission is harder than you expected and you want to flip to PC controls because they're snappier, it can be a bit glitchy. For example, if you start the game with the BPM overlay, it'll be so ingrained in the controller for example, that the Corpus hacking mini game can't be played with the mouse, the UI flat out will not respond. If, however, you started it in desktop mode, and played, the corpus mini game would work with pad, or mouse, it just wouldn't show the line in the center of the puzzle showing what direction the stick's pointing (Edit: Just saw this in desktop mode, never noticed before, was this not here or was I being very blind, god only knows I guess :p). Also while able to be worked around, it doesn't work 100% properly on the pad, if the game is started with the desktop overlay playing with the pad, if you try to move pieces with the shoulder buttons to spin, at first it will not work, but as soon as you hit a direction to move somewhere, it realizes you're on the pad again, and the bumpers start rotating pieces properly. Also not sure if the button to use a cipher works properly in desktop mode with the pad either, haven't tried it recently but I recall that not working before.

Then of course, the Revive button as mentioned above is a huge problem. You also can't click it with the mouse, either. You can however, point at it with the mouse, and then press Enter, a sloppy work around but at least that works I suppose >.<

I have also found that starting the game in desktop mode, also makes the mod/arsenal/foundry UIs completely worthless with the gamepad. It would just be nice to see some of this pad and PC control stuff mesh a little bit nicer in general.

Really, I'd like to just use the BPM overlay more with the proper prompts and such anyway, but the damn thing is just so unstable it crashes my game half the time where as the desktop one is extremely stable and if it does crash usually tries to restart and reassert itself over the game. Oh, BPM also forces full screen mode every start which only happens in the BPM overlay. Not had it do that on any other game before, but WF also doesn't do it to me using anything except BPM, so not sure why that occurs and whose fault this is Valve, or DE here, I know in the past it didn't happen but in the last month or two it has, although then again, could have something to do with Nvidia's driver interacting with the overlay there too you never know.

Edited by Drex83

7 hours ago, Drex83 said:

-snip-

1 - You can do that now with Activators. Set Sprint to a key, go into the activator menu and set Toggle to On. Problem with that is that there's no Sprint Toggle inside WF itself (as a boundable key). If DE adds it, that solves the problem.

2 - To get the best out of your SC, you need to use BPM, that's just the way it is.

I have zero problems with the build I have with the hacking mini-game. Joystick aims at the node you want to spin, triggers/bumpers spins the node. X button uses Cypher instantly, much faster than keyboard could ever do.

3 - You can also press Start, then mash A on Resume and it might respawn you. I hope they fix this... one day... because you know... this bug's been around since Inaros. Meanwhile, lucky console users aren't reporting this bug...

4 - I once made a post about regular controller lacking proper UI handling months ago. I guess they don't care. But they seemed to care enough for the SC to make it work nicely in BPM.

5 - That's odd. BPM barely crashes on me anymore, in and out of WF. BPM force fullscreen because that's needed for Touch Menus to work(and other things).

What annoys me is that no one is talking about the bugs I mention, or the recommendations I posted. Wanna know why? Because the greater fraction of popular community builds are full keyboard builds that don't use DE's default BPM-only build. So most people using SC in Warframe don't even see those bugs or these lacking features like haptic feedback. The longer it stay unfixed, less people care and in the end, DE's effort to make SC support will be in vain. "No one cares about our build, why update it? We don't have time for this."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A new Steam Controller firmware update dropped yesterday. Steam didn't release any change list, however, I quickly noticed something with Warframe: most of the issues reported in this thread were cleared.

You can now revive when you die, Holster sliders can now be used, Lunaro has it's own Action set complete with BPM ingame actions and the Shadow Mouse selection minor issue is out of the way.

Only 2 issues remain, with Titania's #4 melee being unresponsive and a little action set order error.

Guess I'll pop back for an update too since it's been a while:

Ok as for the action set glitchery, when that happened I had rolled back to the live Steam client and lost the bug. I recently went back to beta and low and behold there is a regression and it's back. Changing back to live again seems to have ditched it for me again. So overall a Valve issue on that part that I hope they'll stomp out soon. I did see that firmware update available also but haven't gotten it yet I probably will later tonight. Also the bug related to revive was fixed in a recent WF hotfix, glad to have that out of the way, having to use the keyboard could happen at some bad times lol

Also:

-Launching the game with BPM forces the game to fullscreen. I'm still considering this a bug because my other games don't do it and have touch menus that work perfectly fine in borderless fullscreen (haven't tried that new x/y mouse cursor thing though, that could also be a reason, not sure, default profiles for this game don't use it though). I haven't however, tried it with another native controller game so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. 

Also because of the BPM overlay's instabilities I tend to try to play with the classic overlay, while using the pad anyway as I stated before and thought I'd throw out a few things that could use a polish pass on the classic UI for pads even if the prompts are hidden it would be nice to be able to use the pad.

Much as I'd like to just use the pad at least half the time it's just not possible with that bad overlay, it's crashed far too many games for me. A lot of people have issues with that across numerous games, I'm pretty sure after some tinkering it has something to do with webkit's graphics acceleration as I've seen the chances of it happening drop (not completely) significantly by disabling that on games/launchers that also use webkit browsers such as Steam, honestly I'm pretty sure almost all the instability in the overlay is related to the browser itself, unfortunately Valve's seen a ton of reports on this from many people and continue to ignore the issue it would seem. But not DE's problem so I better stop rambling about that one.

Anyway, while the button prompts won't show in regular PC UI, many of the control's functions are still plenty usable, with the exception of the following some of which is new UI some of it not it'd be really great if these would work without BPM loaded also:

-Foundry UI: shoulder buttons will change categories, nothing else will work

-Mod UI: Mods can be selected, fusion ranks can be selected, or cancelled, can't apply the fusion completion, however, rest of the UI works

-Arensel UI: Base UI is fine, however the Upgrade pages don't really work enough to be functional, can scroll here and there but can't really do any of meaningful, such as actually slotting the mods. Also Gear selection ring is completely untouchable can only hit cancel. Also, appearance sections can be viewed, items can be equipped, palettes aren't really functional though.

-Incubator UI: Completely unusable, except cancel button

-All Operator UI: Completely unusable, except cancel button

-Void Relic UI (Native mode w/ BPM Overlay): the first page you get when opening the relic UI is partially cut off when it opens (first 10-15 pixels on the left side of the relic icons is cut off), it doesn't effect actual function however and will fix itself if you scroll to another relic era tab.

-Void Relic UI (Classic overlay): In classic overlay, this UI is mostly unusable. The shoulder buttons will make noises and make the era bar names glow but not move the era, also the selection buttons won't allow a relic to be selected, and moving between relics doesn't show the drops on them. Since relics can't be selected you also can't refine them at all of course.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the newest update has also broken Steam Controller inputs when the Launcher is active. While the Launcher is up, the Controller will only move the mouse on-screen, but no other buttons or inputs seem to do anything until I click PLAY with a mouse or a keyboard spacebar.

22 hours ago, DaftMeat said:

For me, the newest update has also broken Steam Controller inputs when the Launcher is active. While the Launcher is up, the Controller will only move the mouse on-screen, but no other buttons or inputs seem to do anything until I click PLAY with a mouse or a keyboard spacebar.

That's because the game using the "Decoration" action set instead of "Launcher". The Decoration set does not use the Left Click

You can remedy it yourself. In the Decoration action set, bind the X face button with this: Start Press as A button, Release Press as Start button. Now when the launcher comes up, just press X and it will launch the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump.

Update 19.0.3 fixed the dead controllers and also fixed Titania's unresponsive Diwata.

As for Ayatan Statue gem sockets, the same issue persist just like when Startchart 2.0 got released.

I haven't encountered the Ending Stat Screen freeze bug for a while, so I removed it for now, yet I'm not 100% sure it's gone.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...