Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coming Soon: Devstream #76

[DE]Rebecca

DE

First off, I know you do not want to look at people saying "When will my favorite frame, (insert name here), receive a skin/rework?"

However, I do wish to press for nekros. People say he is fine thanks to desecrate, but I, and many others, feel he is in a very poor situation.

Soul punch is slightly mediocre. It has low damage, semi unreliable knock down, and it does not synergize with any of his skills.

Terrify is redundant. It causes enemies to flee, when most people want to kill those enemies or incapacitate them so that they can be killed more easily. Having enemies flee is useful almost exclusively in regards to having them run from a downed ally or objective. The armor reduction is extremely poor in the grand scheme of things, most people in end game run 4x corrosive projections, and the enemies are already fleeing and the duration is as long as the duration of enemies running from you. It has a hard cap on enemy number and range. It is often seen as detrimental in use besides in cases mentioned above. It is one of the most scorned powers on him

Of course, if anyone remembers what I say on nekros, how can I not speak about the beast that is desecrate. Desecrate is one of the most loved or hated powers depending on who you ask, and I personally am against it as a concept. A power dedicated wholly and purely to loot, being stationary and at best dropping ammo or health orbs, is a negative thing to the frame as a whole. He is often reduced to a mash 3 frame, especially when considering that if you want to build for desecrate you must sacrifice all other powers viability for the most part. He becomes stationary too and it is one of the major concepts in the "draco" (or Viver if you remember those days) pandemic. While not the only way, I believe and advocate it's removal, and always will as it removes 1 power from the frame that can be used unless you are dedicated to farming. This is especially true when you consider that you are locked down to one position and cannot defend yourself during this power and must be defended by a team or far away from where enemies can reach you, and when you are far from enemies desecrate likely will have no effect since no enemies often means no corpses. This is one of the most debated powers, I feel, in it's duality. It has no direct effect on enemies or yourself, and so it's gameplay use is hindered. What it lacks there it makes up for in loot among a team. I understand the love of loot and the scorn people will feel if it was removed, however I will firmly say it needs major changes or to be removed.

Finally, Shadows of the Dead. If you are not running a desecrate build, chances are you are running an SotD build (I always do, but there is the hilarious soul survivor build that always is hilarious in the J3 trial when you revive people who cannot replenish their shields). While it does have a couple of problems directly, the main problem with the power is more indirect. I will start with the direct problems. First, there is the pit problem. Falling in a pit removes all shadows. While other powers are cancelled this way, it is especially harmful for nekros as you need to replenish the soul counter and have the energy to cast it again and not be killed during the animation, especially when you are using shadows defensively with the augment. The animation is very long, and while it is cool and I would love to keep it what you gain in return for the animation, energy, and SotD being an ult does not seem highly worth it. The soul counter is another problem, as you must kill enemies before using your ult and any enemy counts, so those big bad enemies you were saving can be overwritten by that lowly crawler, especially if you have AoE weapons or syndicate augment blasts go off. You cannot count how many souls you have saved either nor what you have saved. While I can understand the desire for the concept behind this, it is sloppy when used in gameplay. Unreliable shadows unless you have amazing eyes and memory. Another irk of shadows, unless this was changed, is that they crowd up and cannot be shot through. This is directly linked to the poor ai problem people have with various enemies or shadows themselves, but I will not focus on this. This is near the end as it can be easily fixed and given the mirage treatment where you can see through them and shoot them. The final thing I will mention is the augment. I like it, however your shadows can wander away easily and they are no where near the ninja level of mobility you have so you are forced to bunker down and stay near them or wait for them to catch up, and if they wander away you are losing damage reduction. These are the majority of the direct problems

The MAJOR short coming of SotD is the indirect problem of scaling. Even when you have multipliers on the shadows you have, they are still forced to obey the constraints of enemy scaling. THe problem being that enemy damage scales no where near as quickly as enemy health. In a T4 survival, you quickly have meat shields who do virtually no damage to enemies and who will fizzle out because of duration running out long before they are actually killed.They are unable to kill enemies and become redundantly tanky as you couldnt even kill them if you were able to target them, and the enemies damage is far far inferior to yours. The enemy scaling works in this way. Enemy damage scales very slowly so shadows damage scales very slowly and only slightly better. Enemy health scales insanely quickly so yours shadows' do too. Enemy damage is fine as if it were too high you could not kill enemies quickly enough and they could easily one shot you, and even now they kill you thanks to being so tanky and having a huge number advantage as well as eximus auras. However, your shadows become so tanky that enemy damage is nothing. It is so redundantly tanky because they have so much health while the enemies do so little damage that how much health the shadows have is negligible. They are purely meat shields at this point whose damage can be almost completely ignored against the enemies you are fighting. This is where nekros loses viability in late game (as well as nyx too with her stuff). Enemy fighting enemy will be a stalemate, however it will last incredibly long as their damage vs health is way out of balance so it will take them incredibly long to kill each other

Sorry for the long post, but even if you do not read this on the devstream I will continue to advocate this problem. I sincerely hope you look at this or mention this, because we are lacking in a summoner frame who does just that, summon badass monsters to fight on his behalf who he can empower or use as fuel for his dark arts

Before I go, I do want to mention that. Nekros is very sad when it comes to the necromancer archetype. Only his ult is about necromancy really, because desecrate is grave robber power. His powers should involve summons, improving and empowering those summons, and sacrificing those summons for better summons or augmenting his own life force. One example would be allowing soul punch to be used on his shadows to sacrifice them for health in a magnificent gory explosion which heals you, heals you and allies, and/or damages nearby enemies based on the amount of health the shadow had left. Sacrificing summons for personal gain or better summons should be a cornerstone of necromancy. Finally, perhaps consider combining terrify and desecrate into one channeled aura power or something similar such as placing a marker that pulses every so often, such as a grave that you can place and it pulses causing terrify or some new proc as well as desecrating. Finally, I do think nekros needs a new ult, and perhaps makes SotD a 3 power and combine terrify and desecrate, and give him a new ult where he sacrifices all current summons for new unique summons or for a reaper form and the power of this 4th ability is directly influenced by the power of the summons sacrificed

Thank you for reading, please give this death lord some love, and may death find you

Surtur, the necrotic necromancer nekros and firely lord who wishes mass genocide on all that live

(I will advocate limbo after nekros)

Third time is the charm to get this read hopefully

4th Try

Q1. Tonkor/Simulor nerf: when? I'm ready for the worst lol, just get it over with so we can move on already ;D

Q2. Damage 3.0: when?

Q3. Dark Sector overhaul: what and when. 

Q4. Hydroid: he's kinda worthless. If any frame deserves a total rework, it's him.

Q5. Prime vault: there's holes in some void missions' drop tables. Could we ever get to see a monthly-or-so rotation of previously vaulted items getting to leak back out? I thought I read that the original selling point was that things getting 'vaulted' would eventually see the light of day again, not be permanently discontinued. Discontinuation is always bad for any game's economy, and it's beginning to hit a point lately that could be described as absurd with some prime sets.

Q6. Archwing Neptune defense: agonizingly long, and the miniscule hp of the defense targets runs a very high risk of getting taken out almost instantly with how enemies get near even wave 20. It's the exclusive source of parts needed for 4 or 5 items. It's pulling teeth trying to convince anyone to come and suffer through it. Is it on your radar at all with the aforementioned archwing facelift?

26 minutes ago, -.A.-Grabbelmann said:

They said they wont do any again.

I don't remember them specifically saying they wouldn't do it again, from what I remember on one of the recent devstreams, they said that they didn't have one planned at that time but might be a possibility in the coming future. Idk, feel free to correct me, source too if you can. ^^

Q1 : how are the progress on Umbra frames? any kind of ETA?
Q2 : is the new star-chart coming on this update?
Q3 : What are your thoughts on Volt's & Mag's rework feedback
Q4 : Whatever happened to improving RNG Drop rotation mentioned in a devstream a long time ago; aka "rotation D"?
Q5 : Will there ever be a mission taking place in a crowded civilized area like a city or some sort?

4 hours ago, (PS4)KaiDragneel said:

How do you feel about enemies/void missions with bloated loot tables? Thinking specifically of T3 survival, Stalker, Conculysts, etc.I don't really mind the grind, but it feels really discouraging when so much is crammed into one drop table.

I would love to know about this as well

4 hours ago, (PS4)KaiDragneel said:

After Specters of the Rail is released, and with it Starchart 3.0, what is the next aspect to get a pass? Hoping it's energy. Energy is supposed to be the limiting factor of our warframes, preventing ability spam. However, it no longer does this with things like EV, restores, Zenurik, Primed Flow, etc. Not to mention that endgame stuff requires one ability or another to be active. We need a new regulator for abilities.

this would be good too

Edited by Riphtix
added a quote

12 minutes ago, Veridantus said:

Q2 : is the new star-chart coming on this update?

the new star-chart is in this update

12 minutes ago, Veridantus said:

Q4 : Whatever happened to improving RNG Drop rotation mentioned in a devstream a long time ago; aka "rotation D"?

i would love to see this too

Edited by Riphtix
added a quote

Hello, I'd like some clarification on what is what. The words I can think of are Grineer, Corpus, Orokin, Tenno, Operator. What is a race, a faction, or a profession? For example I thought Grineer is a faction, but Cressa Tal says Grineer are depending on us, so she is referring to the race of clones as Grineer. Could you say that the players are Orokin by race, Tenno by faction, and Operators by profession? Oh wait, Orokin is a faction too? So the races are human, clone, sentient, wildlife, and infested, right?

Polarisation and Forma

Q: Separate to the issue of relevelling after Forma use, will there be any change to Forma and Polarisation to avoid 'wasted' forma in future?

A lot of posters seem to bemoan the lack of Forma drops, while some like myself rarely end up using it at all because of the downsides of removing build flexibility. Is there any chance of a Polarisation quality of life change so we don't have to suffer our obsolete polarity builds when balance changes and new mods happen? Body Count and Blood Rush gave melees more reason to want Madurai slots, while the upcoming removal of 'mandatory' base damage and multishot mods might ruin heavily Madurai polarised guns. Times change, and while we have to relevel our gear for every Forma we use, even if less in the proposed new Mastery Rank relevance change, making our efforts, our time and our resources wasted is not a satisfying element of the game.

Here's my original thread on the subject and a solution, with more discussion from another player's similar suggestion here.

Another thread here as well. Threads keep popping up about new Forma, better Forma, different Forma on a regular basis. The system needs overhauling.

Now: We have 'lower limit' modding capacity, making it more comfortable to level weapons by using them after Forma.

However, some still recognise that there's a bigger issue than just "when do I get to use a polarised item again". The growing mod load with Primed and other high-drain mods demands a lot out of our very limited drain, as often do Sorties for most weapons to perform adequately. The user-unfriendliness of polarisation impacts negatively on flexibility and fun, and I doubt I'm the only one who tends not to use it where possible to not lock myself out of half my mod collection.

Ammo

Q: Is there a possibility of an ammo rework to fix bugs and aid balance of several weapon classes?

With static ammo pickups and certain restrictions, high ammo consumption weapons often fall short, not in raw DPS which they compete evenly in, but because they just can't keep going for long before they're completely dry and relying on pickups/Restores. We also see such bugs as the Sniper+Castana ammo restriction issue, recently addressed by a half-application of my own suggestion for the issue overall, using Pistol ammo for 'special' secondaries but with a different actual restoration numbers.
My suggestion here attempts to address all of that, as well as opens up balance levers by allowing any ammo type to be used for secondaries. There's also a chance for this to bring currently unused Max Ammo mods up to a functional level by allowing them to improve ammo gained per pickup (while not making Mutation obsolete either).

Using Mod Ranks Below Fusion Level

Q: Why force users to potentially hold many mods of lesser fusion, instead of being able to use ranks up to the fused maximum?

This has been mentioned in passing at times, but it's still ridiculous that we can't have this quality of life with the current modding system. It seems like something that would be an inherent part of a system where drain ranges so wildly and precise values are so aggressively tweaked (Corrupted Mods, looking at you).

Can the data load of a handful of extra bytes per loadout (to identify the rank of the slotted mod to use) really be higher than the load involved with having an actual incentive to hold multiple mods all with their own fusion levels? Can it even be anything but a drop in the bucket in comparison to simply holding thousands of instances of mods?

Things mentioned in a previous stream, but no changes yet seen:

Weapon Balance

Q: What changes might we see in the not too distant future to bring down outliers / bring up underperformers?

Hide contents

A lot of guns are completely outclassed in their field, such as the whole Gorgon family versus Soma. Since Mastery Rank Restriction appears to be tied less and less to the power grade of a weapon, is there any hope for more tightening of the 'tiers' of weapon power, as happened with such as the Supra among LMGs?

Players feel like weapons are often "missed" in a wave of buffs (e.g. secondary-shotguns as a whole during shotgun buff wave), or have suffered nerfs as outliers in the past (such as the Brakk and S.Gammacor) which may be outdated in today's Warframe. Are any of these on the radar for getting their fair share of buffs, or reversions of outdated nerfs?

Tonkor and Launchers

Q: Can the Tonkor get fair risk/reward rebalancing, and a tweak to r/r balance of other launcher weaponry, to bring back legitimacy of using other weapons and especially other launchers?

Hide contents

More damage, more blast radius, less risk. The Tonkor is an obvious outlier, and not even locked behind a high MR. Its no-worry, highest-damage nature while also being AOE means that it detracts from the contribution of other Tenno in a squad. Like a fully modded Ember Prime running through Mercury, people barely get to play the game in comparison. Usage statistics speak for themselves - almost every Sortie, and even most Void missions still feature at least one Tonkor.

Here's a long thread of arguments for and against that continues to this day.

Personally, I would prefer not removing self-damage from other launchers almost-entirely to bring them to the Tonkor's level. Part of the fantasy of using explosive ordnance is Danger Close - don't be reckless and hit yourself.

However, the self-damaging paradigm at the moment appears to be lower base damage, but full mod scaling. This brings untriggered ordnance launchers such as the Ogris into a position where they pose a greater risk to the user than to enemies, and because of a lack of optional detonation, mistakes are guaranteed to be deadly to the player.

I'd suggest the following to start with:

- As per the Elytron Archwing, grant a UI element projectile beacon for launcher weapons to help guard against mistakes (and helps triggered explosives be used more effectively).

- Alter the paradigm of self-damage so that players (with appropriate effective health mods) are protected from instant suicide until much closer to an upper limit on modding for power than current functionality.

- Give the Tonkor this tamer, more balanced self-damage.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Tenno!

Join us this Friday, June 17th for Devstream #76!

Who: Rebecca is joined by Steve, Geoff, Scott and Sheldon! 

What: Did you see Steve's Dev Workshop https://forums.warframe.com/topic/659575-the-war-within-less-wait-more-update/ ? A major update split into Part I, II, and III – say what? Did you see www.warframe.com/thepath? If not – click away, because this Devstream is going to go over in more detail the exact types of revisions, changes, and additions these Updates are bringing! We’ll also be settling an age old stream rivalry with a match of Lunaro… don't miss what will surely be a demonstration of raw Lunaro prowess.
We'll also be taking your questions about the 3-part Update, so list them here or during the twitch.tv chat.

Prizes? Why yes, we will be giving away 3 x 1000 Platinum Prizes during the Livestream!

Where: Find us at: twitch.tv/Warframe

When: Join us this Friday, June 17th at 2 p.m. EDT! Time Zone Converter: http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Thread closes at 10 a/m on Friday, June 17th!

We need Umbra in update part 1 :smile: 

Now that the Market has been revised for pricing and improving features can we expect any time changes such as being reduced for crafting items since we have to wait for a huge amount of time just to use one weapon or one frame?

Will we get a cosmetic with hooded cloaks and if we do is it warframe specific or packaged together?

Will we get a void assassination since we have an assassination on every planet? 

Will we have a rework on deception because it is really quick to complete?

Since a while immortal skins match a lot of prime frames and are very awesome with it but a common problem with it is that when you want to add a silver or gold touch to it it also shows in the pattern of the suit, some work with it such as Volt Prime and Nyx Prime but some are harder to customize such as Mag Prime and Ember Prime, can we expect to see a separate color section to the prime frames for immortal skins?

Also on Immortal Skin topic when can we expect more of them?

Any news on more skins such as Palatine Rhino and Proto Excalibur?

After Lunaro's release will we get anymore sport related game modes in the future? 

Will we get a primed noggles any time soon? Also when will we get new warframe noggles?

Can we see more chained weapons that are like whips but have melee weapon on them such as a sword or a mace?

Possible spoilers for Second Dream Questions: 

Spoiler

For our operators since we have more hair designs will we get more outfit designs such as ones that match a warframe or faction or even get different outfits in general?

Also since tennogen has made quite a few amazing outfits can we expect them to get any tools for making operator cosmetics?

On steam a developer said that they where looking at a noggle holder where we could put our noggles on instead of around the whole ship is this being worked on our is it on the checklist?

Since Warframe is a customizable experience and everyone is unique in their own way can we expect to see a rework on the intro to mission making each frame have a certain entrance one way that is what role they play such as rhino busting through a door with his rhino charge and loki coming out of invisibility and assassinating a enemy personal? Also if this feature is being inputted will we get this from the market or from something else?

Lastly thank you for the amazing game! 

Is there any advice that you can give about making ideas of new Warframe's or reworks that would attract people and not make everyone unintended negative towards you? Because I have a couple of Ideas but worry I'll be shunned as usual by people, would prefer to write it in these devstream posts

Also, I finally found a primary that is my favorite [Stradavar] but it can't handle Sortie or 40 mins of T3, I was wondering if it'll be stronger once you guys revise the enemies?

Edited by (PS4)Killerworld

Has the range and damage of corpus/grineer enemies in Orokin Derelict missions been looked at? I recently went a few missions and ended up burning through a large number of revives due to Ignis marines hitting me from 2 rooms away and dealing massive damage. 

I would like to know more about the dedicated servers. Will this be a stand alone application? or does the full game need to be installed on the server as well? Also what will the server recommended hardware be?

Also......

Edited by Faulcun