Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea: More immersive and useful Operator dialog (Second Dream spoilers)

VirtualViolet

Okay, this just came to me, and maybe someone's already thought of it, but I couldn't find anything.

What if the operator dialog - instead of random, automatic transmissions - were controlled by the player and broadcast to your squad? That way, you could show off your Tenno's looks (#FashionFrame), have a quick way to communicate in the heat of battle (e.g. "Life support is running low," or "Over here/there!" with an automatic waypoint at your location/crosshairs), and really feel like you are the Tenno, instead of them being just another NPC blathering at you with nothing important to say. Sure, it might be prone to abusive spamming, at least until people get tired of the novelty of it, but it would be well worth it, in my opinion. Of course, there should be an option to disable it, and it should be disabled completely until you finish the Second Dream quest.

I imagine a small set of comm-related phrases, such as above, accessible perhaps by the gear wheel, like emotes, or customizable keybinds. Also, there could be semi-random context-sensitive flavor quotes, similar to what we have now (though hopefully much more well-written and in line with who we are and how we as Tenno interact with the warframes).

Yes, this would require a rewrite/re-recording of all the Operator dialog for each voice, but that's something that needs to be done anyway. The current dialog is awkward at best (talking to yourself/the mindless shell you are controlling?), if not laughably jarring (especially when the Operator's face reverts to the default shape - a bug which has been there since the U18 launch).

Anyway, what do you guys think? :)

Edited by VirtualViolet
further clarification

Preach it, OP. This is what I thought the Operator speaking was going to be from the start.

What's the point of my Operator speaking about what's going on if they're literally talking to only themselves. "Let's go on the offensive," is not something that he's saying to the Lotus, nor is it something that he's saying to the squad. He's just thinking out loud.

I'm hoping they'll go through with an idea like this in the future. They hinted that Operator looks would become more important in the future. Granted that was when they were originally advertising Lunaro...

According to the wiki they even have lines spoken when marking mods, like "Mod found!", but nobody else is going to see or hear it. It makes no sense to say that to yourself, it makes no sense to say that to the warframe.

I remember someone suggesting that when a tenno is down they request help themselves instead of the lotus after the second dream has been completed.

Edited by Kethus

God yes, I still think Operators talking to us mid-mission is kind of... stupid (they have mad multi-tasking skills) but I doubt DE will remove it entirely. That said, this sounds much more useful AS LONG AS it is not stupid phrases like they have now, they should only speak when the player gives a command (no more random pointless speak, it will just make me mute them again) and maybe other player controlled events like using a Focus ability, going down, or waiting at extraction.