Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some suggestions for changes to survival

Zdeadfallout

I recall seeing a thread like this a month ago, I guess?
People were actually positive towards the idea of Survival changing.
Here, it's just people shooting down the guy because he wasn't able to complete a rotation / go through the special Lotus gift easily. (Which I think evades the question, somewhat.)

If anyone can find that thread, well, thanks. I don't really think Survival is in need of a change too badly, but a change wouldn't be that bad

Maybe let's not remove life support as a whole, but slightly change the way you can aquire it. I sometimes notice when doing a solo survival run that I have only like 20% life support even though I have beed slaughtering countless enemies for the past 5 minutes without stopping, and sometimes I am capped at 100% but killed maybe half the amount of enemies as before.
I would just remove the RNG from the drops and just add some life support whenever a player kills an enemy, so that survival is still mostly the same, but it doesn't screw you over just because you've had a bit of bad luck. So, if every enemy has a 20% chance of dropping a capsule, which replenishes 5% life support, then maybe just make all enemies give 1% life support when killed? Just a little idea of mine, while reading this thread, and ideal values may differ from the ones I posted above.

If you have a level 90 bombard in front of you and life support a few rooms away with 25% life support, Why don't you run to the life support then? The level 90  bombard won't be able to chase you down all that easily, cause they move slow, except for the horror movie walk.

Life support exists for a reason. Without it you could just stay invisible and hack at the enemies until they're dead, without any worries of failing the mission. Your survival would be insanely easy. That said, never think for a second that you speak for anyone other than yourself. Titles like "Cmon DE you know we all literally want it", just makes you look silly and almost invalidates your whole post before it's even read.

1 hour ago, Zdeadfallout said:

Seriously Though, what do Warframe breathe XD

I mean, they technically don't need air. They go out into open space with Archwings, and don't do anything different.

Anyway, the only time I activate capsules is in the first 5-15 mins, when the enemies aren't pouring in yet.

Edited by PoisonHD

3.An Idea for survival 2.0 (if it ever happened) remove the life support thing and make it like some kind of onslaught (Like you are stuck and you have to survive enemy forces and you'll have some objectives to do (like stealing artifacts which will be the prime parts unless the devs already have an idea in there minds) then the lotus will give you the option to extract

this is all I want and the reason I +1`ed this

1 hour ago, PUR3K1LL3R said:

It just seems that you aren't skilled enough to keep your O2 levels in check (Or you were solo, because enemy spawns change with player count), because I've gone past an hour without problems.

here comes the OP players :D

2.Give survival more logic (So we are protecting a monkey who steals stuff, while we eradicate hundreds of OP troops)

3.An Idea for survival 2.0 (if it ever happened) remove the life support thing and make it like some kind of onslaught (Like you are stuck and you have to survive enemy forces and you'll have some objectives to do (like stealing artifacts which will be the prime parts unless the devs already have an idea in there minds) then the lotus will give you the option to extract

I think survival is fun and fine the way it is, but I can understand you having a different opinion.  With that said, I just want to point out that these two changes that you suggest merely change survival into defense and/or mobile defense missions that we already have.  To keep survival relevant in the game it can't just be a re-skinned defense.

Survival could be worked on to make it a bit more enjoyable (I find it one of the most boring mission type) but as it is currently works fine. Paradoxally I have more "problems" with very low levels, since the low enemy count makes support managing a bit more difficult :)

Too bad there is so much un-constructive commentary.

For me, the basic function of Survival is fine, having Modules and Capsules that extend the timer works for a game mode. What bugs me is the Life Support Condition, I think instead, sustaining a jamming signal of some sort to aide the unseen operative works better.

So no functional changes to the base mechanics, when actively sustaining the timer, more changes with dialogue and what might happen, if the timer runs out.

The reason why we have the Life Support system is so that players don't just afk in survival missions. With a little bit of effort you can glitch outside the map and boom, you can solo T4 for as long as you want because the enemies can't get to you. Life Support forces the players to actually play the game, if you afk your life support runs out and the mission ends.

Edited by EyeLaikCheez

The point of Survival is that there needs to be some means of telling the player, "You're done, get out." Many Warframes have means of surviving indefinitely, so there needs to be another limiting factor. Life support is simply a measure of how quickly you are able to continue to kill enemies such that it becomes harder and harder to maintain life support as your kill rate decreases.

2 hours ago, Zdeadfallout said:

Seriously Though, what do Warframe breathe XD

Oxygen. Warframes are biomechanical and the biological portion requires aerobic respiration.

1 hour ago, PoisonHD said:

I mean, they technically don't need air. They go out into open space with Archwings, and don't do anything different.

Archwings create a field of breathable air around them in space (and presumably underwater). This is clear from the text of Mag Prime's codex entry (you can read it in the wiki if you don't have it in-game).

19 minutes ago, QuiQuQa said:

-image snip-

There's this thing called hyperbole.

Edited by Inarticulate

1 minute ago, Inarticulate said:

The point of Survival is that there needs to be some means of telling the player, "You're done, get out." Many Warframes have means of surviving indefinitely, so there needs to be another limiting factor. Life support is simply a measure of how quickly you are able to continue to kill enemies such that it becomes harder and harder to maintain life support as your kill rate decreases.

Oxygen. Warframes are biomechanical and the biological portion requires aerobic respiration.

Archwings create a field of breathable air around them in space (and presumably underwater). This is clear from the text of Mag Prime's codex entry (you can read it in the wiki if you don't have it in-game).

i have more fun doing long lasting survivals than doing any other mission      

2 hours ago, Zdeadfallout said:

1.Remove the life support system (or at least make us re-use it if we are out of time)

2.Give survival more logic (So we are protecting a monkey who steals stuff, while we eradicate hundreds of OP troops)

So now instead of running out of life support we end up losing the mission because of some AoE attack that kills the operative? Alright cool. That certainly solved anything.

Also your other idea sounds like Mobile Defense but with actual rewards. I would rather have that be the Mobile Defense mode, not Survival.

4 hours ago, Inarticulate said:

The point of Survival is that there needs to be some means of telling the player, "You're done, get out." 

maybe the operator goes "screw it" and leaves? or maybe they got to him and he bailed out, and no point staying more, my point is, limit the amount of rotations available, not keep it open and have air get us out, and it even makes zero sense, that u have 1% air left, ur good, 0% the ship is suddenly all out of air, and regardless, cant the operator hold their breath 10 seconds or so while we get a frikking capsule? where do they go? they just melt once the air hits 0%

in conclusion, besides air being a meh idea, it has too many logic issues

5 minutes ago, Bizzaro21 said:

maybe the operator goes "screw it" and leaves? or maybe they got to him and he bailed out, and no point staying more, my point is, limit the amount of rotations available, not keep it open and have air get us out, and it even makes zero sense, that u have 1% air left, ur good, 0% the ship is suddenly all out of air, and regardless, cant the operator hold their breath 10 seconds or so while we get a frikking capsule? where do they go? they just melt once the air hits 0%

in conclusion, besides air being a meh idea, it has too many logic issues

"Zero percent" is probably the point at which your Warframe's functions begin to degrade from low oxygen supply. It doesn't have to specifically mean zero air, it's just the critical point where you start to lose function.

Holding your breath doesn't really get more oxygen into your system (especially when the air is already that thin). It just prevents other things (like water) from getting in while your body continues to run out of air.

Maybe the Lotus teleports all of her remaining life support capsules back out because it's-time-to-go-so-get-your-butt-moving.