The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor Augment

Kutsus

I love the Opticor, it looks cool, it has cool animations, and it fires a freakin charged up lazer... But sometimes i wish it had even more destructive power!

I had a thought not too long ago, the Opticor reminds me of a cannon, specifically the type you may see in sci-fi spaceships, the ones meant to destroy other huge spaceships!
So i tried to come up with a way to change the Opticor without actually changing it too much, in order to make it even more cannon-like.

So far it's something like this:
The beam has a bigger visual effect
Causes a much bigger AOE damage effect, along with visual explosion effect
Pushes you back a bit when fired, it's a freakin cannon!
Ragdolls enemies caught in the blast like Sonicor, may or may not be OP, but considering the DPS and firerate of Opticor, it would probably still be balanced.

This idea is for an augment mod, not actually changing the base weapon.

Any feedback is welcome!

Edited by Kutsus

33 minutes ago, Naftal said:

Why would a laser beam have a recoil that pushes you back?

There is such a thing as radiation pressure.

However, the easiest explanation would be that it's chemically fired. I.e. the energy for the laser comes from an internal chemical explosion. This would produce gases which would then be exhausted from the weapon, pushing you back.

And I think this would be a really fun mod. I feel it would be balanced, especially if there were a slight fire rate penalty. But balance or not, it sounds fun. And that's what matters.

1 minute ago, KirukaChan said:

If we're talking Corpus weapons that need an Augment, let's talk about Dera or Tetra or Prova first.

I agree, but rather than criticizing OP's aug, why don't you suggest the ones you DO want?

1 hour ago, Kutsus said:

So far it's something like this:
The beam has a bigger visual effect
Causes a much bigger AOE damage effect, along with visual explosion effect
Pushes you back a bit when fired, it's a freakin cannon!
Ragdolls enemies caught in the blast like Sonicor, may or may not be OP, but considering the DPS and firerate of Opticor, it would probably still be balanced.

Look like you want BFG from DOOM

On the subject of the Opticor, Heavy Caliber's accuracy penalty has absolutely no effect on it, and considering you'd never be able to use a maxed Heavy Caliber on any other gun, it might as well be the thing's Augment Mod.