Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Melee Weapon Concept - The Curaris

ObviousLee

Ok folks, here's the pitch: A fist weapon that does not punch, but instead grabs.

Edit: After much debate and discussion of the nature of the concept, this weapon has been labeled infested. To help explain the ability of multiple elements being able to be used in tandem with the out the box example palette, the composition of the Curaris has been declared ancient(possibly eximus) flesh and sinew. this also helps explain the added harpoon mechanic for ranged grasping.

Concept: grab hold of an enemy, inducing a locked animation effect onto them and use them as the melee weapon. You can grab up to two enemies at a time, and use them to smack their buddies upside the head and into oblivion. Each successive hit will charge the held enemy with elemental priming, stacking up to five hits. each charge equals 10% of the enemy's total health. this charge damage does not translate to melee attacks, but instead is stored for the throw. Alt fire hurls the held enemy (left held then right held) at a high rate of speed. when the thrown enemy collides with either another enemy or a surface, it detonates dealing elemental damage within an AoE.

Visual description: this PREDATOR.jpg 

+ this a2a1ab71.jpg 

+ this 7513019_l-1.jpg

Which leads to this551823_347917818613918_837122110_n.jpg

and then the toss when ready, ending in this AtomicBomb.gif

What this means: The Curaris will grab hold of an enemy, locking them in whatever animation that they were in, similar to the ice proc cc effect. The grasped enemies will take no damage from being used as a melee weapon until they collide with a surface/enemy after being thrown.

Held enemies will have a standardized hit box, regardless of unit size, affected by range mods. held enemies must hit other enemies within an allotted amount of time to maintain hold on the enemies, or they will shake loose.

Max HP% charge/throw will be based on Curaris rank range: Rank 1-10= 15% hp charge max. Rank 11-25=30% hp charge max. Rank 26-30=40%-50% hp charge. 

Damage taken from throw is proportionate to the charge that was built through attacks. meaning that the hurled enemy is going to lose that portion of health from it being discharged as elemental damage, while taking said damage as well. This guarantees that if the thrown enemy isn't killed outright, at the very least the majority of it's health is gone.

Possible melee mechanic enhancements due to introduction of Curaris mechanics, courtesy of MrBubbleSS:

• Whips and Whipblades (and potentially the thread topic, as a unique trait) could grapple from a distance.
  • Heavy Blades and Scythes could impale enemies to damage them slowly, but constantly while held.
  • Sword/Shield could have a normal hold, but you'd have a higher passive block resist from the front.
  • Dual Swords, Daggers, and Dual Daggers could perform a finisher on the grappled target.
  • Glaives could stick the glaive to the enemy with a throw attack and would explode on impact (similar to the thread topic's concept on throw).
  • Hammers could stun enemies for a few seconds with the release or throw attack.
  • Claws, Fists, and Sparring (including the thread topic) could change stance and "beat a mother****er with another mother****er".
  • Polearms could throw enemies extra far due to their reach. Arcata could also have this, but make the enemy bounce amusingly like a Lunaro.
  • Staffs and Nunchaku could grapple for twice as long due to the strong, two-handed hold.
  • One-Handed Swords, Katanas, and Machetes could guarantee a status-proc strike with the release and throw attack.
  • Gunblades could release or throw with a charge attack blast.

And as for the Exalted weapons:

• Hysteria could act like Claws, but also work faster and cause slash procs with every grab.
  • Exalted Blade could act like a One-Handed Sword, but also regain the 100% damage block from the front that it had in Stamina 1.0.
  • Primal Fury could act like a Staff, but the throw would be a half-energy cast of Iron Jab (similar to Exalted Blade's radial blind).
  • Artemis bow isn't melee. Nothing changes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As you can see above, with the introduction of solid new mechanics that are listed both above and below regarding my melee concept, it would benefit many other melee types as well. Make the one to buff the many, so to speak. 

Now,let's get down to the more refined details.  

method of attack with one enemy held - attacks similar to hammer/heavy blade movements as in slow and off balance.

method of attack with two enemies held - swirling sweeping spinning attacks due to counter balance.

stance 1 - heavy attacks with one or two enemies held.

stance 2 - fast counter motion attacks with one or two enemies held.

stats:

40 impact

10 slash

5 puncture

1.3 attack speed 0.950 attack speed

15% crit chance

2.5x crit multiplier 1.5x Crit multiplier

1.5 channel damage

5 channel cost

120 leap attack

240 spin attack

Maximum Hp% storage for throw mechanic - 40-50% of total hp upon grab~affected by viral proc if present before grab.

Enemy hitbox size when wielded= to Galatine/Jat Kittag sizes.

Now onto the final portion of the mechanics involved. Above I mentioned charge stacks and throw nuking. The Curaris (play on Curare) will come with a custom example palette which will tie into the elemental damage output, similar to Chroma. However, ALL elemental damage ranges will be covered via example palette so one can use other similar colors to the base elemental decision colors, I.E. reds similar from the example palette that gives The Curaris a fire element could exist within several different palettes, including the base stock palette new players have access to.

No mods tie into increasing the nuke damage.

So, with this in effect, you can load into a mission pre-loaded to destroy your enemy of choice with a well scaling melee weapon, that includes hilarious mechanics.

Now then, Lets discuss changes to the stats themselves, that would place this weapon within acceptable realms of existence, but doesn't perform so well that there will be no reason to ever use another melee again.

Special thanks to MrBubbles and NeithanDiniem for their amazing assistance on name and mechanic ramifications towards other melee that could be a positive.

Also, please feel free to check out DerpyTheDaedra's monster of a concept as well over at 

I'm presently looking for a concept artist to render both this melee concept, and my warframe concept, Apyx, which can be found here. If you're interested please contact me via forum inbox. 

Edited by ObviousLee
stat changes and for clarification on mechanics.

4 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

So fist weapon that has an added hurl mechanic? 

Fist weapon that doesn't punch, but instead grabs and hurls, yes.

1 minute ago, MissMarifire said:

As soon as I read Dremora I instantaneously thought it'd be related to TES Dremora.

Didn't really read all too much of the concept, skimmed through it mostly. Sounds hilarious and beautiful.

by all means please read and give some honest feedback. more attention this gets higher chance it has of being made and put in.

10% enemy health per charge seems a tad excessive, especially considering the hefty health pools of some heavies.

I feel that instead, hitting enemies could gather charge proportional to the damage dealt (maybe 100%, maybe with a modifier). This would mean that heavy grineer Helga takes a good while to charge into a death grenade, while firecracker crewmen could be made in short order. If this were the case, then the 50% health cap might be raised/removed, and the radius of the AoE could be determined by the % of their max health stored (give it a knockdown for sonicor-level chuckles).

This removes the scaling aspect of the damage, but with tolerable base stats and the nifty CC mechanics I feel it'd be a more than viable weapon.

I don't know that alt-fire with melee is a thing as-is, though. Perhaps finisher attacks could grab hold of enemies, and charge attacks could throw?

The problem with charge attacks throwing is that it effectively negates split second decision making. and i'm not sure alt fire presently IS a thing, but an upcoming hysteria auggie will use alt fire as a function, so I can easily see them tying it into this weapon. as far as alternating damage/radius based on enemy hp pools, i think that's pretty justifiable, however how would you suggest it be limited/changed effectively to give fantastic usage, as well as within the limits of not needing anything else ever? i would honestly hope that this weapon would be easily endgame viable, but it does need to hit a wall eventually.

Just now, DiosGX said:

I love this. Spin attack throwing needs to be a thing. Reminds me of Zone of the Enders 2.

If you're in the middle of a spin attack and press alt fire, yes, you toss the boom boom enemy.

1 minute ago, (PS4)bddacres said:

should just be a stance not a weopon

your reasoning behind this? seems a tad psychotically advanced for a mere stance, also with stance rarity being an issue on release.....

Edit: ah, i see you're new around here. welcome to warframe!

Edited by ObviousLee
viewed profile.

Just now, ObviousLee said:

your reasoning behind this? seems a tad psychotically advanced for a mere stance, also with stance rarity being an issue on release.....

if its a fist like weapon i would enjoy it better as a stance and have it introduced with a new weapon 

Just now, (PS4)bddacres said:

if its a fist like weapon i would enjoy it better as a stance and have it introduced with a new weapon 

the mechanics involved, would be far too strong for a simple stance. the idea is to begin introducing new weapon mechanics with new weapons, instead of simply adding onto what already exists.

Just now, ObviousLee said:

the mechanics involved, would be far too strong for a simple stance. the idea is to begin introducing new weapon mechanics with new weapons, instead of simply adding onto what already exists.

yea but, in my opinion grabbing falls into sparring or, fist......new weapon concepts could be maybe a tenno fan or a spear and shield.... just my opinion

this thread is, honestly, about none of those weapons. they would be fantastic additions to the game, but they should be proposed on their own thread, whereas this one is specifically for my concept.

Edited by ObviousLee

10 hours ago, julianattack said:

just make huge hands

new wep is called the yaoi hands, you grab em with that

or......not. this is a concept thread, not "lets make a two line post about adding something different. please stay on topic if you're going to post here.

1 minute ago, Rehtael7 said:

Is this a new weapon or a new stance? I hope it's not another new weapon type, we REALLY don't need that.

But to be honest, what you're describing sounds more like a weapon that only uses finisher attacks.

fist weapon, that does not punch. Yes i'm talking about a new fist weapon, not a new weapons type.and no, it doesn't do finishers only. it uses the enemies grabbed as the melee itself.

Edited by ObviousLee

5 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

fist weapon, that does not punch. Yes i'm talking about a new fist weapon, not a new weapons type.and no, it doesn't do finishers only. it uses the enemies grabbed as the melee itself.

The attacks are tied to the stance, so either this is a new weapon type, or it's using a new stance. You can't have an existing weapon type using an existing stance that has unique attacks, that literally doesn't work.

1 minute ago, Rehtael7 said:

The attacks are tied to the stance, so either this is a new weapon type, or it's using a new stance. You can't have an existing weapon type using an existing stance that has unique attacks, that literally doesn't work.

broken war uses a combo string innately from vengeful rev sooo.....also the Demora will only have two innate combos that are based on the number of enemies held. soooo if you have one enemy and no stance you will always do the same combo.

2 minutes ago, ObviousLee said:

broken war uses a combo string innately from vengeful rev sooo.....also the Demora will only have two innate combos that are based on the number of enemies held. soooo if you have one enemy and no stance you will always do the same combo.

Hm. Fair point on the Broken War. I still don't think the concept would really work out in terms of programming.