Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Void Run Fun Ride - Feedback, Suggestion, Glitch Report

Kinperor

No wall of text incoming for once: I haven't had the chance to comb down the Orokin Void meticulously, but as far as I can see it looks pretty solid. Of course, there are glitches here and there, but not much is popping to my eyes as of now, but whatever I found I'll post it here. Just like my two other "Explorafun" threads, people can participate, but I'm getting the guts feeling no one will (just like in my two other thread). 

General feedback: What is there to say, the Void was made to be pretty, and boy is it pretty. The place tells us some things about the Orokins: First, they had a hard-on for the lotus emblem, second they like to write in stylistic designs that almost doesn't look like writing, and third they really like traps. 

Knowing however little I know about the Orokins, the traps were probably set up in order either to train their tennos/warriors or to slow down their enemies, since the void was their "Panic room" according to Steve. Further, there are some rooms that looks like they had purpose, like holding government meeting, but in general the rooms look like they were made to be pretty. I would hazard the guess that the void towers were built when the Orokins were at their apex, and they wanted to have monuments to prove how crafty they could be with their pocket of space. That would explain why the place looks like postcard and made to attract tourist, but bite me as to why there is so many traps and cover that seems built-in. Maybe they built it as a pretty bunker that would also serve as a tourist trap for times of peace. 

Anyhow, let's get those glitches out of the way and make the tile set better, shall we? 

As always, I separate my pic in three category: "TBF" (to be fixed) when it's clearly a bug/glitch, "TBC" (to be considered) when I'm suggesting changing a detail I think could be improved and finally "... !" for random stuff I liked or details I noticed.

#1 TBC: Momentum glitch.

No pic for this one, and honestly I am not sure if it's intended or not: Basically, upon running fast enough and gliding, you would end up keeping momentum in a set direction for a rather long period of time. Example: There's this parkour room which has a floor made of lasers that you can wall run above, and at the end of this course if I slide I would almost invariably get trapped on a wall because I would be "pushed" into a wall even tho I'm running in the opposite direction. Annoying when you're racing against the clock, but that could be the point of the "feature" as far as I know. Next report features a pictures in the same tile set, but earlier in the course area.

Final thought: I think the second bug (momentum bug) and the lack of elevator calling button are the biggest priorities level wise for the Void, without getting in the more complex matters of RNG. Let's just keeps this thread about quality of life changes, not discussion about drops or secret rooms loot content. 

EDIT: Removed a lot of reports. More culling is probably coming in other posts.

Edited by Kinperor

I think the momentum is something random and usually doesn't occur until you've walked through one of the slowing 'baths'. Possibly they coat your feet with a slidy slippery substance that causes the momentum issue. If so its probably working as intended.

Edited by HypaH

True, I haven't gotten it 100%, but when I did it wasn't from the start but after a while and if I think back always when I landed/ran through a bath. If its not working as intended its a valid issue! :)

TBF: Head devouring growth and missing call button in the elevators. 

1371608076-terrain-glitch-head-devouring            Red square highlights a growth that forces an un-elegant first person perspective. Orange arrow points to an elevator with no calling button at the bottom. Why? I noticed the lack of buttons when I was trapped downstairs with a buddy and couldn't go upstairs because none of us was Vauban/Excal. For information, no, the white growth around the area can help you get to the last floor. I tried long and hard, and the momentum glitch/feature was felt rather obviously there, when we tried to land juuuuust right on the growths.

Having the elevator issue now. What with the massive frame rate drop this room gives me, jumping on the growths is proving really tedious. I do wonder how they got two elevators in but managed to miss a call button on both, hope they get it fixed soon though.

EDIT: As it turns out there IS an elevator button now. It's just EXTREMELY small and very hard to notice. I don't know if it's been in since your conflict with it. I think it's still important to bring up that it needs to be more noticeable, heres a pic of it.

elevator_button.png

Edited by Infinitysghost

Uh, never noticed that button. I agree, it needs to be more noticeable, it's barely distinguishable from the frame and easily missed when storming through the room. Also, I typo'd, I meant the growth CAN'T be scaled to the top floor. My bad.

Anyway, got more reports:

#9 TBC: Pass through door.

1372080259-terrain-design-passable-door-            The highlighted hole in the door can be passed through, trivializing the race supposed to take place in this room, but I don't know if that was intended. Also, note the fusion MOA that head-dooring. I don't know if it's fixable or if you even want to fix it.

Have fun designers! 

Edited by Kinperor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#48 TBF: Mesh merging. (To be investigated by me)

1374416788-terrain-glitch-mesh-merging-o            Speaks for itself I believe.

#49 TBF: Mis-aligned door.

1374416781-terrain-glitch-misaligned-doo            That tile's door doesn't align properly with the door on the other side. Pic of the door as seen on the other side (the door on the second floor aligned fine).

1374416789-terrain-glitch-misaligned-doo 

On a side note: I really love the new tiles you guys added, the defense one is gorgeous (but so big) and I really have a soft spot for the new vault you added with the three rooms where the doors progressively close as you progress (or don't progress rather) on the course.

Keep up the good work, but don't forget to confirm if the check board glitch is your problem or the coder's problem!

PS: Forward this pic to whoever is responsible for the flash light the sentinels carry,my deth cube's flashlight was still there even after death.  http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/29/1374416759-light-glitch-double-flashlight.jpg

Edited by Kinperor

• 2 weeks later...

More report, some may be dated a bit, excuse my tardiness:

#53 TBF: Door missing top texture. - Being looked at

#54 TBF: Faulty teleport pit. - Limbo

#59 TBF: Weird demarcation 2. - Will be looked into

Done for now.  

Edited by Kinperor

• 3 weeks later...

Brace yourself, the reports cometh. Now with videos since I can handle Fraps filming now. Tho my internet doesn't keep up, because it take minutes to upload seconds-long videos... As a consequence of that, I will try to keep videos short and succinct, and use them rarely. 

#60 TBF: Ledge malfunction. - Fixed

#62 TBF: Ledge malfunction. 1 - Fixed

#68 TBF: Mob trap. - Limbo

1377019566-terrain-design-mob-trap-oroki            Lancer trapped himself there somehow. Theories: I pulled him in there OR he spawned there OR he did some wicked moves. FYI, he could shoot through the wall to the left.

I didn't want you designers to get bored while everyone leave for Gamecom. 
Edited by Kinperor

• 1 month later...

More reports.

#73 TBF: Broken light.

1380572347-light-glitch-broken-light-oro            Speaks for itself. I don't know if it's just because of the angle, but the light is pretty odd.

#74: TBF: Weird shadows. - Fixed

#81 TBF: Clipping container. -Freak glitch

#82 TBF: Otherworldly containers. - Limbo

Edited by Kinperor

#85 TBF: Floating water. - Fixed

#86 TBF: Clipping locker. - Fixed

#87 TBF: Pit fall. - Needs replicatan 

1380572369-terrain-glitch-pit-trap-oroki            I don't have replication steps unfortunately, but somehow I went through the highlighted part of the floor and fell in the pitfall with laser underneath. The laser were turned off and some other mooks fell there before as well. I got out by teleporting to one of my teammates through the floor.

#88 TBF: Shoot-through wall. - Not level related

#89 TBF: Weird demarcation.

1380572372-terrain-glitch-weird-demarcat            Speaks for itself.

#90 TBF: Tile clipping.

1380572372-terrain-glitch-tile-clip-orok            Speaks for itself. I know the EE.log would help better with this issue, but I am 99% certain that the tile that is problematic is the one located in #73 and #81. It must be one of those big reactor-thingy that arcs electricity across the room every so often. #73 Partly highlights said reactors.

#91 TBF: Door trap (trapping mobs). - Limbo

It's hard to see, but 2 MOAs are running side by side trying to get through the door but are blocking the way for themselves and the mobs behind them. This is the second time in the same defense round that I saw this happen. In addition to that, I noticed that mooks have a nasty habit of chasing their tails in the middle of a door for reasons I don't know right now.

End of reports. Have a great one. 

Edited by Kinperor

You might need more than a minute if you only just found the thread, tee-hee

Mind looking at the #77 to #80 right away (without fixing them necessarly)? I want to know if you can do anything with the info that was supplied.

Edited by Kinperor

Both look like easy fixes. The info is definitely good for me to find and fix the places. Matter of fact from the screenies alone I know what to do. :) Thanks for the effort you put into these, makes our life so much easier. I'll definitely have most of the mob traps fixed or at least looked at til Friday.

I had a bit of time to look at these. Note that most of the CNR ones are simply cause we worked on the set in the meantime. Most, if not all, of the ones I fixed/optimized should be on the public server mid next week. Thanks for the reports!

unsure what's causing it, I suspect the pushing volumes used here, will investigate further at a later point

2 CNR, I can get on the ledge fine
3 FIXED, applied proper material to ceiling
4 CNR
5 call buttons were added a while ago, vines need collision imporvements but are low priority
6 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
7 CNR
8 CNR, the teleporters here are so dense and omnipresent I must attribute this to some lag related freak accident
9 CNR, room layout has changed since the report
10 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
11 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
12 CNR
13 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
14 CNR, possibly someone already fixed this
15 CNR, some light cam clipping but this is way outside of player mainpath
16 WNF, needed for AI
18 CNR
19 CNR
20 CNR
21 CNR
22 CNR
23 CNR
24 CNR
25 CNR
26 WNF, lighting related, this is way outside of player mainpath
27 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
28 CNR
29 CNR
30 CNR and the pipes are noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
31 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
32 CNR
33 WNF, needed for AI
34 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
35 same as 3
36 CNR
37 CNR
38 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
39 CNR
40 CNR
41 CNR, freak accident he got in there I presume
42 CNR, freak accident he got in there I presume
43 afaik this room has been removed with the removal of raid
44 CNR can get in fine
45 forwarded to particle crew
46 FIXED
47 WNF, there's glass over those canals
48 CNR
49 CNR
50 WNF, needed for AI
51 WNF, needed for AI
52 CNR
53 CNR
54 CNR
55 FIXED
56 CNR room layout changed
57 CNR
58 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
59 CNR
60 CNR
61 CNR
62 CNR
63 CNR
64 CNR
65 CNR
66 FIXED
67 CNR, the script here had a malfunction that was fixed, maybe caused by this
68 CNR
69 CNR
70 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
71 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
72 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
73a FIXED
73b WNF, this is way outside of player mainpath
74 CNR
75 CNR
76 CNR
77 FIXED
78 CNR but smoothed area there
79 CNR but smoothed area there
80 FIXED
83 FIXED
84 noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
85 FIXED
86 FIXED, fixed a whole bunch of other things here as well, will need more time to fully overhaul room, noted for the next time we overhaul this tile set
87 CNR
88 CNR
89 Do you mean the water caustics effect? If so that's intended.
90 FIXED
91 happens rarely enough I presume, plus you can kill them and they fire at you so not game breaking

Alright, went over the reports and culled what was fixed. I kept some stuff I'll take a look myself since I don't think it was fixed, but it may just be because our versions are different. Just gonna give a peek to see if it isn't because of my lighting settings or something. Removed most of the esoteric bugs you couldn't replicate since I don't know either.

Most of the reports were REALLY dated, I kinda thought you guys were following the thread from the beginning, guess not after all. What matters is that it's fixed now.

I got a couple of notes tho:

About 9: Is the change live? Pretty sure I was still able of going through the door the last time I saw the room.

About 12: Did you try just walking into a door or going at it quickly (too fast for it to react at all)? If the latter, okay then, removed. 

About 16: AI needs this? Ok then, thought something was wrong with the handrails but I guess I won't submit that problem anymore. 

About 42: I think the AI now jumps there on purpose to travel upward or downward. Pretty sure it's working as intended now.

About 49: Did you line up the two tiles like shown in the picture? The two rooms are connected by the door upstairs, but the two doors downstairs doesn't align properly. 

About 54: I think the repro steps weren't clear: Did you jump at high speed toward the wall right above the right square (disregarding the column) and then fell down by sticking to the wall? 

About 60: Did you use Super Jump? Otherwise I'll assume it was fixed. 

About 61: Looks like a freak accident to me, I'll delete it and try to get more info if I see the bug again. 

About 68: Did you try pulling him by using Mag? I won't hold you rigor if you gloss over that one tho, it is a pretty exotic bug. 

About 73b: First, woops, double number. Second: Actually Carp this is the current path to get to the secret room in the tile. I don't know if the room will be overhauled, but until then people gotta pass by there if they don't have Nova or Loki. Dunno if it affects your decision.

About 81-82: I'm assuming you forgot those but that you couldn't replicate?

About 89: Well, I figured the water reflection was done on purpose, but some sections of the wall have it but one section doesn't and it cut unnaturally in between. If you look directly at the cross air, you can see the section that doesn't have any reflection. 

About 91: Well, I've had it happen to me a couple of times now in the same game, while also happening rather often in other defense missions. There are also cases of a single mook chasing its tail within the door, and that also happens rather often (to me at least). It's not game breaking as you said, but it happens. Make of that what you will.

That should cover it. I'll add more reports when I find them. Out of curiosity, when can we expect an overhaul realistically? 

Most of the reports were REALLY dated, I kinda thought you guys were following the thread from the beginning, guess not after all. 

Out of curiosity, when can we expect an overhaul realistically? 

1) We do, we just didn't reply. This lead to me not being able to repro most of these I presume, cause someone else fixed it already. :D

2) Unsure at this moment; other, older, sets will come first!

• 1 month later...

Alright, did a small tour in the void after 10.8, and what's up with the fog you added? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why you added it, was it to give a more macabre look to the void? Was it to limit the LOS? 

Personally, I don't feel the fog does any of those two things. I'd like to comment on the fog further, but I'm not even sure what you're trying to do with it. If I did, I could give more directed feedback.

Also, a couple reports:

92 TBC: Water use. - Fixed

93 TBI: Weird demarcation - Will be fixed

Edited by Kinperor

I had nothing to do with the fog in either void or derelict, neither did any other designer. It was some weird code issue that caused this but should be fixed by now and should be back to cool with U11 (we hope!).

#92: Noted, will pass over it after U11.

#93: I am seeing this one, just took a brief look and it is a fairly complicate lighting setup there...will have to talk to the lighters on this one, can't untangle that myself in time. Will fix!