Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good melee weapon for beginner

(PSN)Nightsplit

Question

Hey guys i am a mastery rank 3 player and i have been wondering what are the best melee weapons for someone like me. I saw a vid saying the amphis was good for people starting so i made it but now i kinda wish i asked a bit more. I like the weapon but i just want to know if there are better choices. Thanks.

21 answers to this question

To be honest in early game you shouldn't be so concerned about "good" weapons as at this point its more about learning and mod / resource gathering rather then your weapons, as early game maps can be played thought with any weapons effectively and bottle necking yourself into trying to get a certain weapon / frame can really demotivate you. 

• Like 4

One of my personal favorite melees is the Nikana series, but that's pretty high up the MR chain.

Other than that, I really use anything with a high crit chance. I've heard the Tekko isn't bad.

The most critical element is having the right Mods and knowing how to use them.

For a new player, Pressure Point and Fury are going to have the biggest impact on base performance. If the weapon has at least 20% (preferably 25%, really) base critical chance the next step is to apply True Steel and Organ Shatter. After that it's a matter of equipping the elemental mods appropriate to the faction you're going to fight.

Corrosive (Shocking Touch + Fever Strike) and Fire (Molten Impact) are broad-spectrum damage types that can work against any enemy type.

Radiation (Shocking Touch + Molten Impact) combined with either Viral (North Wind + Fever Strike), Cold (North Wind) or Toxin (Fever Strike) works well against the Grineer.

Magnetic (Shocking Touch + North Wind) and Toxin (Fever Strike) is great against Corpus. I would advise using pure Toxin over Gas (Fever Strike + Molten Impact) because I find the way Toxin damage bypasses shields to be more useful than Gas damage but it can't hurt to experiment.

Gas damage combined with Cold (North Wind) is effective against Infested opponents because it's a type many are weak against and Cold will help slow them down.

Just now, WrathAscending said:

The most critical element is having the right Mods and knowing how to use them.

For a new player, Pressure Point and Fury are going to have the biggest impact on base performance. If the weapon has at least 20% (preferably 25%, really) base critical chance the next step is to apply True Steel and Organ Shatter. After that it's a matter of equipping the elemental mods appropriate to the faction you're going to fight.

Corrosive (Shocking Touch + Fever Strike) and Fire (Molten Impact) are broad-spectrum damage types that can work against any enemy type.

Radiation (Shocking Touch + Molten Impact) combined with either Viral (North Wind + Fever Strike), Cold (North Wind) or Toxin (Fever Strike) works well against the Grineer.

Magnetic (Shocking Touch + North Wind) and Toxin (Fever Strike) is great against Corpus. I would advise using pure Toxin over Gas (Fever Strike + Molten Impact) because I find the way Toxin damage bypasses shields to be more useful than Gas damage but it can't hurt to experiment.

Gas damage combined with Cold (North Wind) is effective against Infested opponents because it's a type many are weak against and Cold will help slow them down.

No offence but he asked a opinion on what weapon he should try using not how to mod :D

5 hours ago, CouncilCat said:

No offence but he asked a opinion on what weapon he should try using not how to mod :D

Yeah, but at MR 0-3 the options are pretty limited and knowing how to mod effectively is going to have a larger effect than weapon selection.

Edited by WrathAscending
  • Like 2

Hello tenno!

I would recommend as a master rank 3 picking the Ether Reaper. It uses scythe stance mods which drop very commonly. It is a decent hitting weapon that becomes pretty fast with fury or berserker. You could easily handle enemies up to level 25~ with just pressure point and fury equipped with some elementals and grit mods. 

If you had the platinum and resources to spend, the Ninkana Prime is at mastery rank 0 last I checked. As others have said, orthos also works. 

Best of luck! 

At low mastery which melee and secondary you use really doesn't matter.  Its all about ranking to 30 and then getting something new to rank.  At about mastery rank 4 though you should settle on a good primary weapon that you can install a catalyst on (you get one from a quest about then).  The Hek shotgun is the best choice, in my opinion, but that isn't the only option.

Back on topic, stance mods help your melee weapons out a lot by giving you more points to install other mods.  Look to build weapons for which you have stances.

I used Dual Ether as a newer player. Dual Heat Swords also works as well. If your thing is staffs and polearms, try Amphis or Orthos. Another recommendation is Ninkondi. No joke. If you can handle yourself on Jupiter/Saturn, you should be able to handle at least T2 void. Farm up some Argon Crystals and build it. Also Ninkondi is MR 0 requirement, so you can get it right away.

most of the time your guns will do the work, and all melees are effective throughout the starchart, even without rare mods. ultimately I would say go for whatever your favourite melee type is. personally I went Dual Ether Swords first but then moved on to the Scindo, as I like my big two-handed blades. not everyone likes the slower attack speed though. I would still recommend trying the Scindo out anyway.

On 2016-07-07 at 9:31 PM, (PSN)Nightsplit said:

Hey guys i am a mastery rank 3 player and i have been wondering what are the best melee weapons for someone like me. I saw a vid saying the amphis was good for people starting so i made it but now i kinda wish i asked a bit more. I like the weapon but i just want to know if there are better choices. Thanks.

Skana from the tutorial, or buy its blueprint from the store. Likewise, the mk1 bo with the stance that drops from the Venus junction will tear up the Jackal.

Amphis is a superb weapon, but you'll have to be MR 5 to use it. Its blurprint is awarded for completing the junction between Ceres and Jupiter.