Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Movement Overhaul Feedback [Megathread]

[DE]Taylor

Honestly I have no idea how I control the archwing. I see where I want to go and I go there and my archwing does it. Somewhere between my eyes, brain, and fingers stuff happens and I can pull off some pretty good maneuvers.  I use A and D to turn and don't worry about stabalizing. In big open areas I don't even give a crap which way is up. I use the arrows around the edges to find an enemy and go after them, not caring if I'm upside down, sideways, or anything. In fact, with the new controls I've found I'm able to boost past an enemy and snap backwards to hit them from behind if I get the movements just right.

archwing has two current keybindings. Move up, and move down. Both of which honestly have no function with the current movement system. (clicking change keybindings in the archwing section only pulls up the main keybinding menu)

Edited by m4xwellmurd3r

The removal of the turn-spin-things is absolutely great.  I feel like I have a lot more control over my Archwing's turns now.  However, that's balanced out by the horrendous flight path delay.  I turn , and the Archwing only starts turning .5 to 1 second later.  I need zero delay on the flight controls, or Corpus Ship missions are completely unflyable.  Also, the passive spin to reorient the Archwing sucks.

Edited by Telogor

Let me start by praising one thing I love about the new system: Immersion. I am a huge fan of Ender's Game and the new AW controls is one of the first chances I've had to really shift my perspective in an environment with no defined gravity. Personally I go with Ender's suggestion and make my objective "down" as often as possible. It really does feel like all I have to do is fall to get where I need to be. This awesome feeling brings me to my first suggestion.

1. Remove the reorientation to the former "up" position. It breaks the immersion and if anyone really needs to know what up is there is always the esc key. Additionally you could add a key to the AW controls to automatically orient "up" for those that feel they need it. That, however, might be a larger change that takes time. At this point just removing the tilting would be fantastic.

2. Separate the "Afterburner" and "Move Up" key. With the new system, tight turns require both a change in aim and a corresponding strafe key. This works great for "down", "left", and "right", but if I am sprinting, which I am most of the time, a tight turn "up" is not possible.

3. Move the Archwing to the center just below the reticle. When it's on the left or right it can be awkward to navigate tight tunnels (Mostly corpus missions). Even if not a required change for all players, an option to choose default location would be incredible.

I hope I've expressed well enough my absolute love of what we have so far. It's enough to work with and to enjoy immensely.

Thank you, and good luck with your mad hotfixing plans. :D

I've only played a bit of Archwing since the update has dropped so here goes...

The view:

This is far too close for comfort. In the old Archwing, I would have alt-f4'd if my view was as zoomed in as it is now. Melee'ing and having 1/3rd of the screen blocked while doing so makes it extremely difficult to even keep track of where enemies are, let alone aim up to hit them.

Please, revert to the old view distance, its just painfully bad as it is now...

Movement:

I havent done much movement, because I'm just aiming around trying to find enemies with the view blocked. Overall it seems OK but the automatic re-alignment makes my stomach turn.

Perhaps the Melee button for archwing could be switched to the R key (since there is no reloading) and we could get the Q and E keys to be used for rotating the frame? Give us a horizon indicator line of some sort so we can rotate the archwing ourselves?

Missons:

I have not run the new missions yet. I am quite saddened at the loss of the mobile defense archwing mission on Mars as it was a slightly mid-level endless enemy mission that I used to use to rank up Arch-gear. Please consider reverting the node back to a mobile defense of the same enemy level ;-;

The zoom on the character does not bother me personally, but if it wasn't that close it would probably be easier to see what's going on.

Inertia is a cool mechanic, but if you're in a hurry tight curves are just impossible. We'd like some kind of brake.

Being able to move in every direction is what it should have been like from the beginning, but while I can move in 3D, the minimap is still in 2D. This leads to having no idea what direction I'm facing sometimes and the map not helping it. I think a "reset view" button would help immensely.

Dear DE

In the past, archwing missions are doable. It cause slight dizziness but is alright

But

Now archwing is totally sickenning.

In the past the distance is a bit further thus the camera doesnt spin and mvoe so much ( like normal warframe jsut that can move more)

but now it make me throw up playing archwing

Each time melee makes me puke

Kindly put the old 1 back

8 hours ago, PseudoSphere said:

1. Remove the reorientation to the former "up" position. 

2. Separate the "Afterburner" and "Move Up" key. 

3. Move the Archwing to the center just below the reticle. 

all of this, in particular the automatic rotation on idle is not doing any good, just let people know that there are actiually ways to control the rotation both with mouse and buttons

Also, the barrel roll when afterburning needs to be triggered differently, currently it interferes with the basic controls for strafing

also afterburner should not force frontal movement, it should allow moving to the sides

Edited by rockscl

I found the new movement being a pain. I dont see how it improves gameplay. We where able to turn into any direction before the update and being linked to a plane helped alot with orientation. The only thing new is that we can now spin the map around our character instead of being aligned to the plane. I found it extremely painfull to keep orientation, especially since my character slowly spins around for no reason. At least i would like an option to use the new or the old system as i liked the older way more.

My view on the new archwing

The camera is way too close I could swear I'm always zooming with the normal camera, the default camera should be the one you get while holding shift

Controls, it seems like a delay was introduced to turning, I just did a Corpus mission a few hours ago, and boy I (and my team) hit every single wall, AW needs to be more responsive so this delay needs to go.

The rolling, I'm kinda ok with it but I never had motion sickness so I can see what most people complain about as sometimes you flip so much you have no clue where you are, what we need a reset position ASAP place it on the crouch button, if you have motion sickness you use the toggle crouch and you never flip, if you can handle it and like a bit of adrenaline you don't everybody wins.

A raid buddy yesterday nicely informed our group how to roll in the new archwing movement system...

So apparently setting your 2nd Hold to crouch button and using that key combined with A/D makes you roll

like.... how in the hell would someone find out about that?

it's not even the 1st Hold to crouch button, that one doesnt even work, no it has to be the 2nd one...

once again this logic goes beyond my level of comprehension...

edit:

the reason your default Hold to crouch probably doesn't work is because it is bound to Archwing down, which basically overrides the Hold to crouch

Edited by BlackVortex

Personally, I dislike the new full 3D environments for archwing for one glaring reason: The map. The mini-map does not orient itself from a top-down view over the battlefield, no matter what orientation you're facing. In an interception mission earlier, my mini-map was telling me there was several mods and resource drops scattered all around my position, however swinging the camera all about in confusing 3D space didn't reveal anything. I didn't know which axis I was supposed to be looking along.

I guess the waypoints on your HUD do help with enemies and objectives, but overall, it's still disorienting; archwing feels like even more of a chore now than ever.

What was once fast and fun now feels slow and clumsy. I used to love doing the occasional Archwing mission, but now with these movement tweaks I think I'll have to pass on them from now on unless its absolutely mandatory.

With the way inertia works right now you can have either speed or precision, not both. You can't afterburner through a Corpus map and not turn into a human pinball anymore, you need to go at "grandma crawling through thick molasses" speed to not run into anything. With the old system, if you had the skills, you could afterburner through an entire trench run mission and not hit a single thing, and it felt great!

We need to get rid of inertia. We need crisp and responsive movement again, please untie the dead elephant thats been attached to our backs.

And about the 6DoF. It was an interesting concept that really could've worked if we were given the controls to use it properly, but if you're not willing to do it right then please don't bother.

Here are some suggestions to improve controller play:

• Remove exclusive boost button.  Replace with double-tap dash to boost.
  • Remove barrel roll.  Change to strafing-boost.

I often want to boost to the side of the enemy while firing.  This needs to be done with four buttons on the controller; direction control / camera control / boost control / trigger control.  Currently your boost is a hold which i have to assign to L3.  Keeping that held while adjusting direction is unwieldy.  With dash and boost being separate, it feels like dash is a gate I have to keep open with left index finger.  If someone wants to access boost they shouldn't have to also keep dash on.  Double-tapping L1 would improve boost accessibility.  Barrel roll simply serves no purpose.  It doesn't alter position significantly and has never yet allowed me to survive heavy fire. 

So the move up is linked to the same key as boost.  Are the move up and move down commands needed?  If you were to reduce momentum drift and maybe assign rotation to those keys, would that be better?

Edited by robbybe01234
expansion on necessary commands

I've come here to post about the camera but I see that many posts have already been made. To reiterate my specific point, The camera angle was changed and it makes me motion sick. The camera during sprinting when it was directly behind you was the original camera position and the change to move it closer and to the side has resulted in motion sickness and problems with melee combat. I would love if there was the option to use the old camera position with your archwing in the center. This would help alleviate motion sickness and would fix the problems with melee, thank you.

Neither of my crouch buttons are letting me roll. I just kind of gave up since archwing never was a big part of the game for me and has become even less of one now that just taking a turn can flip me over 180 degrees, and it's not like I need to go out of the way to avoid it.

They need to do a pass over the controls, make archwings not arbitrarily roll around with no user input to do so, and pull the camera out of the warframe's butt so you can A) see things and B) have enough FOV to not get nauseated.

Edit: Ah, re-read your post a couple times and realized what had to be done to get Archwing to roll. I can't even imagine how anyone figured such an obscure control out. Still not interested in trying it honestly, can think of many things I'd prefer doing over Archwing right now; like petting a cactus or drinking some tabasco sauce.

Edited by Sennera