Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Movement Overhaul Feedback [Megathread]

[DE]Taylor

I hope you can give us some kind of maneuver option, whether to use the old one or new one.

Or some button to "revert" our position to default (as in, what's the English for this one, 0X 0Y position maybe?) would be nice.

I got nauseous feeling by playing AW now, and this is coming from someone who maxed all AW gears (all without cheesing) except the 3 new stuff which I'm still leveling atm.

Oh and the camera, it's too zoomed in, just like others said.

AW is probably the rarest mode ever played for a good reason, and you did this only to make people go away even further.

Pretty sure you DE invested a lot of time in making this mode that nobody asked for, that's why please do something about this one ASAP please.

Hopefully that's constructive enough.

HOLY CRAP THERE'S ROLL CONTROL!!!!

hold down ctrl (or whatever you have mapped to crouch) and use A and D. YOU CAN ROLL

I found this out on accident. Basically just hold ctrl (crouch) and you can roll

There is one caveat and I think it's why no one noticed that the function is there. You have to unbind the archwing "down" key off of ctrl. Since most people DON'T mess with keybindings, most likely everyone has CTRL set as "Archwing Down" and ALSO as their crouch key (I use a different key for crouch)

THERE IS ROLL CONTROL, AND IT IS AWESOME.

When sprinting and boosting there is still some yaw going on, but not as much as when you aren't using roll.

You have to unbind the archwing "down" to be something else. Because archwing down and crouch are both bound to ctrl, the archwing setting takes priority.

I found this out today by accident because from the start I have never had CTRL be crouch for me. I have it set to a key on my mouse (faster movements that way along with sprint being on my mouse) since I would always boost using the same key as I crouch (roccat mouse, easy shift. 1 key is 2) that key's primary was sprint, and secondary was crouch. Accidentally used the secondary function and started to roll.

btw, it's a lot more fun now that I can roll. There is some yawing going on still, but there's a lot more control now. Now i'm off to start modifying my macro keys so q and e function as roll.

1 hour ago, m4xwellmurd3r said:

hold down ctrl (or whatever you have mapped to crouch) and use A and D. YOU CAN ROLL

I found this out on accident. Basically just hold ctrl (crouch) and you can roll

There is one caveat and I think it's why no one noticed that the function is there. You have to unbind the archwing "down" key off of ctrl. Since most people DON'T mess with keybindings, most likely everyone has CTRL set as "Archwing Down" and ALSO as their crouch key (I use a different key for crouch)

When sprinting and boosting there is still some yaw going on, but not as much as when you aren't using roll.

Someone give this guy some plat. 

Absolutely works. Now, the real question is, can we macro it? 

Edit: Yup, a simple AutoHotKeys script works just fine. 

Edited by tisdfogg

I can, but that's cause my keyboard is awesome. I have an Isku keyboard and Kone+ mouse. That means I have the "Easy shift" function that allows me to seat 12345 down to zxcvb as macro/secondaries. I have Q and E set to be CTRL+A and CTRL+D whenever I hit my easy shift button.

Holy crap is it a game changer for Archwing. I can do the corpus tunnel extermination mission so much easier now. I get into small skirmishes, then right myself and blast through all the paths, only using light roll correction.

The one issue I'm seeing is there is some yaw movement, so as you roll, you tend to also drift in that direction a bit while sprinting and boosting. There really needs to be a 3d minimap, and X,Y positioning around the reticle like in flight games (X zero'd out to the X plane of the map that the dev's set)

Hell, you could always get a key remapping program that can be hotkeyed on and off so you can enable it while doing archwing runs (but then you have to remap quick melee off of E, I don't have to since I just let go of the button to get my default E function back)

Edited by m4xwellmurd3r

2 hours ago, m4xwellmurd3r said:

I literally made a topic about this yesterday...

1 minute ago, BlackVortex said:

I literally made a topic about this yesterday...

Yeah, and I saw yours after I figured it out myself. I don't come here often except to check some things I've already posted on so I never saw your post till I posted in it lol.

So i found a way to fic the camera motion sickness problem.

Give camera/FOV/zoom options for archwing. And this should be one of the default ones.

6cHY0VX.jpg

YxHLIk8.jpg

The camera should not change when sprinting, boosting and meleeing. Aiming should change the camera.

I'v recently done my MR 20 Test and found out that it's bug-ed and with the new archwing movement changes it's very hard to catch all the rings, with the old system it was very easy and fun to do this test over and over (my record was 0.17) but now with the new system i hardly can catch a moving ring and the only way of passing the test was to sprint till the end. The system seems based to be linear and not intended to do quick dodges or turns, i don't mind that DE implemented this system but i would prefer something like the old one or at least a switch in settings tab that let you chose what type (the old one and the new one) of movement controls you want to use. If you can try MR 20 test to see how hard it's to catch all the rings with the new controls and with the old one, you will see that it's a huge difference in the easiness of dodging and the overall the control you have over your "wings". My attempt of doing the test / the way that i did it in the end ( https://goo.gl/SEiTwW ).Please DE do something about this because i liked the old archwing and i have fun playing alone and with my friends.

I would like an option to have the camera always keep the same 'up'. Ie *never* roll unless I explicitly use the roll keys. I really dislike having no fixed sense of up, I think this is what made me a little queasy.

Also I get *really* lost as I can lose track of what is up and down in relation to the minimap in just seconds.

I guess I'll add to the current sentiment with more of the same. Archwing used to be one of my favorite mission types, especially trench runs. Now, it's almost unplayable. I can't see what's going on because almost the entire screen is blocked at any given point in time. I feel like I have no control over the precise movement of the archwing. The camera tilt is disorienting, but I could get used to it. The fact that between 1/3 and the entire screen is blocked at any given time, I can't.

I realize that people have a tenancy to dislike change at first, and so any change will receive a certain number of complaints. I therefore usually hold back on criticism to give any given change a chance. This is the only change that has been so bad that I've felt the need to comment, and has made me want to simply not play a mission type.

On 7/8/2016 at 0:51 PM, IronWolfKnight said:

What I dislike about Archwing right now is that the camera perspective has been arbitrarily zoomed in which not only makes it hard to see due to the character model blocking half the screen but it makes melee more unconformable to use especially when you're trying to hit an enemy only for you to be hitting nothing because the "blinking melee attack" (in other words, you instantly teleport to an enemy to hit them with your melee weapon within range) is obstructed by this camera zoom.

This to infinity. can you zoom the camera back out please? Or give us an Archwing FOV slider? I'm almost liking the new movement system, but getting used to it along with the zoomed in camera is making me nauseous...

How about this?
+ Add independent archwing key bindings to options menu
+ Add independent controls for "roll left" and "roll right" a la Descent
+ Camera needs adjustment for better target relevance (consider zoom / FOV improvement)
+ More precise throttle and thrust vector control is needed for more successful trench runs

- Remove or make optional the automatic orientation / roll correction

I just finished the defense archwing alert for vauban chassis on Neptune and I feel very dizzy with the camera constantly spinning around me and zooming in and out. I spent the latter half of the fight feeling like I was going to throw up. Please revert the archwing controls or if not, please give us control of the camera. I got completely disoriented when my camera decided I wasn't sick enough and flipped the entire stage upside down. 

The camera should never roll without the player consent and it should never just arbitrarily decide to spin the stage upside down.

The minimap needs to be improved for archwing. The little arrow that shows if an enemy is above or below you is not enough. It is okay for the normal missions, but for archwing due to the extra 3rd dimensional movement, we need a different minimap to show the enemy's positions.This factor is compounded with the utter lack of camera controls.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:12 AM, robbybe01234 said:

I have the same issue with the new camera.  Please add a zoom slider or just pull it back so that larger weapons do not obscure vision.  The blocking you see below is even worse if I were to strafe left.

3D9AF51AC10F1DC2848F4C1E5D4860E65476E849

I know this is like 6 days late, but for the people experiencing this problem, don't skip the beginning cutscene when your warframe is getting in to your archwing. It works for me, but not sure about all of you guys

Personally I get frustrated and annoyed at the archwing spinning by itself when I go to turn corners, it doesn't make the controls any easier, or more fluid, or even more immersive. 

Here are how I would have controls if I were to remake archwing using the current controls

W - Roll camera up (Invertable)

S- Roll camera down (invertable)

A- Roll camera and archwing left

D- Roll camera and archwing right

Mouse - Aim and turn archwing

Jump - Move forward

Crouch- Slow down/stop

At least that's the theory. Since it'd make dogfighting and flying more intuitive. It would be lacking strafe buttons however but at least you would have 6 ways of movement. I'm not fully sure how it'd work with the mouse, but it'd be a start

2 hours ago, ShrimpDawgy227 said:

I know this is like 6 days late, but for the people experiencing this problem, don't skip the beginning cutscene when your warframe is getting in to your archwing. It works for me, but not sure about all of you guys

Okay, I'm coming back to this because 3 people have called this a bug.  Equip elytron and fluctus.  Go into any map, skip or don't skip cutscenes, do a raindance while holding a rabbits foot.  It's going to be the same with the default camera.  The only reason you saw anything different is because either you equipped a different wing or different weapon, or both. 

This is grineer tileset while idling. 

A7AA1997513AEF0EF401EA3DAB609C2822ECA78B

This is corpus tileset while hovering forward.

BFD04ED69AD5A34BD35A68D37B8E4607E95EDBA2

This is corpus tileset while hovering forward with odonata prime equipped. 

C9AB6F4E41F7C187587208F10927F3A03A60F11E

Notice the change in placement of the weapon.  It does not obscure as much of your vision as it does with its placement on the elytron.  Either way though, the camera box clips through the model of both the weapon and the wing.  Hopefully this convinces some people that this isn't a bug that can be fixed by any means at yours or my disposal.

6 hours ago, robbybe01234 said:

Okay, I'm coming back to this because 3 people have called this a bug.  Equip elytron and fluctus.  Go into any map, skip or don't skip cutscenes, do a raindance while holding a rabbits foot.  It's going to be the same with the default camera.  The only reason you saw anything different is because either you equipped a different wing or different weapon, or both. 

Confirming.

Spoiler

TAQPFhC.jpg?1

The camera really is way, way too close. It needs to be backed out to at least original Archwing camera distance.

Quite frankly I applaud the attempt, however, the execution was terribly flawed. as it stands, with how floaty the archwings are, Rush missions are nearly impossible. After an hour trying to reach the transports, my best was getting there with 10 seconds left. The rest of the time was spent trying to get off walls, and stuck half clipped into the environment. Trench runs could be awesome but the controls fight you at every step. On top of the that, the mission marker does nothing to help you navigate that mess of a tileset.

That said I find the gun targeting reticle is MUCH better than the strange barely visible lines from before.

The movement needs a complete rework, with trench runs in mind, preferably with some major community beta testing so DE can tweek on the fly before releasing something that makes archwings nearly unflyable in tight areas. I love the idea of cruising through space and gunning down ships. Open space feels ok, it's the trenches are a total mess with the new control system.

Finally, Affinity range. This needs to be scaled to AW missions. I'm NEVER withing range of my team members.

5 hours ago, Jackal167 said:

I believe that a good fix to being disorientated with the new archwing movement system would be to add a button to re-orientate yourself instead of having to stand still for a couple of seconds.

Pressing the ESC button apparently re-orients you, but this is just what I heard from a friend who frequents arch-wing, so I am not sure if this is accurate.