Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Movement Overhaul Feedback [Megathread]

[DE]Taylor

On 7/28/2016 at 4:30 AM, Culaio said:

There is many people here saying that change to movement system(6DoF) was bad

The problem is that it was/is badly implemented and unresponsive compared to what we had before. Which was a non-ground Hack'n'Slash close to Zone of the Enders. What people are saying, if you read deeper, is the problems with unresponsive movement controls (due to the intera retention), which is being blamed on 6DoF.

6DoF by itself isn't an issue, as you can go a bit earlier into the thread and find all the posts of people pointing out other games that do it better. However DE's implementation of 6DoF was bad, still isn't in a great condition and feels clunky. Playable, yes, but clunky.

Top Issues

• Camera too close (Finally resolved)
  • Auto-rotating camera. AKA make me barf spin. No true 6DoF game auto-rotates the camera. All reorientation is manually controlled or activated.
  • Momentum retention identical across all moment types
    • Takes 1.5 seconds to kill momentum in one direction, be it basic movement with WASD + Shift + Ctrl, Sprinting, or Boosting. This is why Archwing feels sloppy to people.
      • There should not be any momentum with basic movement. Starting and stopping should be instantaneous
      • Spiriting momentum should be reduced to 1 or 0.5 seconds. Or actually truly based on Acceleration characteristics, instead of a hard-coded deceleration time period. The Arching is a 2 independent swivel thruster space jetpack with very high Acceleration capability, going at very low relative velocities (for its acceleration capabilities), and should stop faster than it does.
      • Boosting is the only time Velocity (not acceleration, because Archwings cap out their velocity instead of being allowed to continually accelerate) should be high enough to cause noticeable momentum retention, to a point where it takes noticeable effort to slow down (1.5 to 2 seconds of hard deceleration).
  • Independent Archwing Keybings, which are required for 6DoF game's controls for at least binding Roll to something other than hotkey combo Ctrl + A or D. Also to address problems like dodge rolling into walls (tapping A or D while Boosting).

In its current state Archwing 2.0 is not a good 6DoF game. It's barely passable. If it were released as a standalone even early access "Greenlight" game, it would be ripped apart for the above issues.

7 hours ago, Culaio said:

Previous movement style is simply unfit for dog fights.

But getting along towards being a good Hack'n'Slash. It just needed work in that direction and it could have ended up working like Zone of the Enders. And even currently we still are more like stationary turret platforms for most of the play, especially in Interception and Mobile Defense. Enemies don't "dog fight" us and aren't under the same momentum constrains as us. They still "hover" about.

Edited by Brasten

2 hours ago, Brasten said:

The problem is that it was/is badly implemented and unresponsive compared to what we had before. Which was a non-ground Hack'n'Slash close to Zone of the Enders. What people are saying, if you read deeper, is the problems with unresponsive movement controls (due to the intera retention), which is being blamed on 6DoF.

6DoF by itself isn't an issue, as you can go a bit earlier into the thread and find all the posts of people pointing out other games that do it better. However DE's implementation of 6DoF was bad, still isn't in a great condition and feels clunky. Playable, yes, but clunky.

Top Issues

• Camera too close (Finally resolved)
  • Auto-rotating camera. AKA make me barf spin. No true 6DoF game auto-rotates the camera. All reorientation is manually controlled or activated.
  • Momentum retention identical across all moment types
    • Takes 1.5 seconds to kill momentum in one direction, be it basic movement with WASD + Shift + Ctrl, Sprinting, or Boosting. This is why Archwing feels sloppy to people.
      • There should not be any momentum with basic movement. Starting and stopping should be instantaneous
      • Spiriting momentum should be reduced to 1 or 0.5 seconds. Or actually truly based on Acceleration characteristics, instead of a hard-coded deceleration time period. The Arching is a 2 independent swivel thruster space jetpack with very high Acceleration capability, going at very low relative velocities (for its acceleration capabilities), and should stop faster than it does.
      • Boosting is the only time Velocity (not acceleration, because Archwings cap out their velocity instead of being allowed to continually accelerate) should be high enough to cause noticeable momentum retention, to a point where it takes noticeable effort to slow down (1.5 to 2 seconds of hard deceleration).
  • Independent Archwing Keybings, which are required for 6DoF game's controls for at least binding Roll to something other than hotkey combo Ctrl + A or D. Also to address problems like dodge rolling into walls (tapping A or D while Boosting).

In its current state Archwing 2.0 is not a good 6DoF game. It's barely passable. If it were released as a standalone even early access "Greenlight" game, it would be ripped apart for the above issues.

But getting along towards being a good Hack'n'Slash. It just needed work in that direction and it could have ended up working like Zone of the Enders. And even currently we still are more like stationary turret platforms for most of the play, especially in Interception and Mobile Defense. Enemies don't "dog fight" us and aren't under the same momentum constrains as us. They still "hover" about.

Oh I do agree that how they implemented new movement system is far from great...or even good, I was just saying that its untrue that no one asked for 6DoF, and I am angry that so many people are demanding DE to reverse changes to movement system instead of asking DE to fix problems of new system.

I want to add that while old movement system was based on zone of the enders it was pretty badly implemented since it lacked some important aspect's of zone of the enders movement: lock on and good/fast strafing, lack of those two things made fighting shield enemies nightmare, since there was no good/easy way to get behind them to shot them, which lead to players simply deciding to ram into them and then mash melee button.

I do agree with most of stuff you said, only thing that I want to add is that momentum can be actually useful in combat, I would want to at least to have option to kill engine and drift in the direction I was going(one space combat sim had this), this would be good/cool way to get behind shield enemy: you fly by enemy, stop the engine,  you fly by enemy thanks to momentum you turn and shot enemy in the back.

Its not good 6DoF game but it also wasnt good zone of the enders like game because of issues I mentioned above.

It wasnt good Hack'n'Slash game since melee is pretty much only mashing melee button which isnt very engaging, camera is far too close during close combat which makes me to see anything because of that I hate fighting in close combat. I also disagree about us still being turrets since I slow down much less now, generally I destroyed enemies while flying toward them at full speed, I also engaged in extremly EPIC fight with Ogma once, we were circling same axis while shooting each other, dunno how it happen but it was MOST epic thing that happen to me in archwing EVER.

Yeah enemies still hover but its something that can be changed and as we see with pursuit mission DE is able to create enemy who flies around while shoting us, so nothing stops them from applying this to normal enemies.

Personally wanted dual modes/movement styles for archwing we could switch between, something like strike suit zero has:

• "spaceship" mode - movement like in space combat sims, for fast pursuit type combat/dogfights
  • "mech" mode - 'hover' style movement, for slower but more precise combat, something in style of old movement/zone of the enders movement

This is how it looks in strike suit zero:

As much as I can, I just avoid every Archwing related content in Warframe now. Unfortunately, I just ran into the 20th mastery rank test. And failed at it, of course. I think I won't go past MR 19.

Yeah, MR 19 is fine.

Edited by Nikbis

On 19/07/2016 at 11:51 PM, Han971 said:
  • Ok...Here comes my two cents:
  •  
  • After a pause, a mate asked me to try the new Archwing mode:
  • I did a Corpus Exterminate mission.
  • My first like was the new aim cursor.
  • And...that's it. That's was the only thing i liked on the new Archwing system.
  •  
  • The controls are awful.
  • The mouse cursor is now totally depending on the direction you're facing/rushing/shooting.
  • And it's really damn annoying, when you're rushing.
  •  
  • No more Rolling. The grace and beauty of Rush has vanished into oblivion.
  • Before, i WAS FEELING when my Frame was rushing. It was going FAST and he turned while boosting like a Boss.
  • Now, you cannot turn while boosting/rushing like usual. You'll NEED to break a little, change direction then "boost" again.
  • I don't have anymore the great feeling of "final race to the extraction" wit my mates.
  • And i'm not the only guy who have this feeling...
  • And trust me, shooting while rushing is so bugged/ridiculous. I cannot even laugh on it...
  • I was feeling like I was on a Big Battlecruiser with big soap on it.
  •  
  • I don't have anymore to be a Ninja-Archwing, like Jehuty.
  • I have the feeling of driving a big spaceship...which is kinda logic, but not with a Warframe (ninja).
  •  
  • Edit: sorry for the form.

Perfect report. I 100% agree.

They already made the update, focusing only on camera position and motion sickness, but the true problem is there's too much INERTIA !

We used to fly like the wind, we used to turn like a lightning bolt... We want this feeling back.

Now we feel like driving a truck, bumping on and on in the corridors of Corpus ships.

3 hours ago, Darwin1859 said:

They already made the update, focusing only on camera position and motion sickness, but the true problem is there's too much INERTIA !

We used to fly like the wind, we used to turn like a lightning bolt... We want this feeling back.

Now we feel like driving a truck, bumping on and on in the corridors of Corpus ships.

It is really remarkable how they take a working flight system and made it worse.

I hope they revert to the old working system where we don't have to fell like we're driving a bumper car.

Six degrees of freedom may sound like a good idea.  In practice, it turns out to be much worse if we are bumping into everything and have very little control.

21 hours ago, (XB1)Zoltan6201 said:

It is really remarkable how they take a working flight system and made it worse.

I hope they revert to the old working system where we don't have to fell like we're driving a bumper car.

Six degrees of freedom may sound like a good idea.  In practice, it turns out to be much worse if we are bumping into everything and have very little control.

they didnt make it worse it works quite well in open space grineer maps. they could allow for the old movement on corpus maps or like ive said in an earlier post give us flight sim keybindings.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

1 minute ago, EinheriarJudith said:

they didnt make it worse it works quite well in open space grineer maps. they could allow for the old movement on corpus maps or like ive said in an earlier post give us flight sim keybindings.

I respectfully disagree.  If it doesn't work in tight maps, then it doesn't work at all.   The ability to control where you are flying is essential. Having inertia impale you onto objects or cause you to collide with walls or bulkheads is unacceptable.

Keybindings won't work on consoles.  Part of the problem is that their software has to work on PC, PS4 and Xbox platforms.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Zoltan6201 said:

I respectfully disagree.  If it doesn't work in tight maps, then it doesn't work at all.   The ability to control where you are flying is essential. Having inertia impale you onto objects or cause you to collide with walls or bulkheads is unacceptable.

Keybindings won't work on consoles.  Part of the problem is that their software has to work on PC, PS4 and Xbox platforms.

they only now have to make it work for consoles. warframe is in all respect a PC game. just because it works fluidly on one map but not the other doesn't mean it doesnt work at all because it actually does work but means it needs to be tweaked. for consoles its as simple as creating a gamepad setup only for archwing to make it work for consoles and PC for that matter. what we have now is combined control scheme for both ground and archwing when they really just need to separate them. i can effectively play open space grineer map with absolutely no problems and the only issues i have on corpus map is i cannot control moving up with space while boosting. afterburner should be a separate keybind anyway. better controls is what we need that fact has still not changed.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

I used to love to play with Archwing, USED TO.

I really tried to get used to this new movement, I don't know if I'm the only one but my head starts to hurt and I cannot handle everything spinning around me. What was so wrong about the old archwing movement, it was already a bit hard to control. I'd love to see a livestream of DE playing in corpus missions :). Would be interesting to watch for sure. It's cool to inovate on certain things, but this is just awful in terms of gameplay.

On 8/1/2016 at 5:45 AM, -CM-Killer-931 said:

Orientation lock, that's all that's needed to fix it, give us a button to press to lock it whenever we want. Don't even need to give me an orientate to ground button, I'll do that myself, just a Lock would be nice, I even find the idea of approaching corners and tight spaces locked at different angles of my choosing fun and challenging but while not being able to lock it's basically asking the wall to bash my head in before I even approach a tight space or corner.

Honestly, this would be fantastic.  Gonna support this idea.

Hi all,

Just gonna give my thoughts...

I am very accepting when in comes to changes, for good or for bad. I am not very concern with the true 6DoF being an issue. It may be hard, but it's worth the time to master it (if ever). 

Would be nice if the following will be considered in the future:

1. Additional button(s) for movements:

• Roll - should be able to fit this in somewhere.
  • Reset orientation - this helps a lot.
  • Brake - additional to back/down key for reverse, like a E brake for racing games. Imagine holding it while doing afterburner would make players rev those engines while in place, instead of the back/down key which would turn the player's camera. And combine with the above, Archwing maneuvers should feel more responsive and sharp.

2. More Engine brake - Seems like a logical physics in space. Don't feel too strong about this, but might be nice in conjunction with the above.

Thanks for reading, I hope!

Regards,

Kai

Edited by EienKai

A few days with no further comment. Are control options still under review or is this a "Let's see if they forget" situation?

I wouldn't mind to see quit rates of archwing alerts compared to normal ones. I know I tend to re-evaluate if it's worth doing when I load in and realise it's AW.

Let me start out by saying that I used to like Archwing. I was actively working to build up my different archwings and try new things out. The only two reasons I didn't play more was that my friends didn't want to play (and playing with friends is one of my main reasons to be here) and because the rewards STUNK. After playing an entire archwing mission you can often come out with less material rewards than you would get in ONE SINGLE ROOM of most other missions. ONE SINGLE ROOM.  THAT was why I didn't play more.

Now I don't play, and often leave alerts that end up being archwing, because the mode is just not fun.

And yes, this is all AFTER the changes were made to supposedly fix things up after the initial archwing changes.

--------------------------------------------

The biggest problem: that (insert swear word of your choice) auto-righting. Flying even ONE single mission is enough to give me headaches, and I never do more then one so I don't know if the nausia is still an issue. This is a medical issue, only a couple steps down from "seizures if 1% of the population" because it seems to affect a sizable portion of the community despite it being far less lethal. This should have been hot-fixed out IMMEDIATELY. The fact that it is still in, despite people making it clear how big an issue it is, is a black mark on whomever is in charge. Give us an option if you are completely dead set on keeping it in the game, but absolutely do not think it is ok to force it on all players.

While it isn't realistic (in terms of reality, it is completely realistic in terms of gameplay), the best option is to just give us an acknowledged "up" and "down" direction. Remember, fun trumps realistic every time. What we find fun is Warframe. What not everyone finds to be fun is a flight simulator. Remember that. Yes, this will take some changing of the levels and such, but the goal is a fun game and a fun mode so it is worth the effort. Try giving us an option to lock vertical and see how that is taken, then try to fix the levels to work with that acknowledged up/down direction. This also has the added benefit that it allows you to more carefully craft how people will interact with and see the level, so remember that it also has some side benefits as well.

Speaking of side benefits, fixing the up/down axis will give us a map that is much more useful without having to revamp the entire way you do maps. Yes, this will only take the map back to how it was before and yes there are still improvements that need to be made (like preventing the goal marker from jumping away when you get near but not through the doorway to the next area, which still happens even now). In most cases now the map is actively worse than useless, actively frustrating any attempt to use it and making the entire mode seem like a badly optimized mess. Try it sometime, go into a mission like a normal person would and, after flying around so that up and down and forward and backward are all mixed up, try to home in on your objectives by using the map and not by using the mid-screen markers. Heck, even trying to use the map to FIND the markers can be an exercise of frusteration. If you, being the ones who know how it is supposed to work, have any difficulty at all than imagine how non-intuitive it is for everyone else.

The sliding around IS NOT FUN. It makes flight slugish and clucky and ill suited to the tight passageways and small entrances that are everywhere. Racing games can get away with this because the levels never change and because the fun is in mastery through repitition; but this game is different in both those ways. What this game is advertised to be is "space ninjas", yet can anyone call the way you have to fly with archwing "ninja"? Ninjas are quick, agile, reactive, and always ALWAYS sharp; NONE of those descriptions encompasses the current archwing. Drift should have been lessened from what it was before, not increased.

----------------------------------------------

Please DE: don't try to shove an unrealistic flight simulator down our throats. Figure out how to make Archwing "warframe in space" and people will like it. Give us an entirely different game and only a small percentage of us will like both even if it is a great game (which, at the moment, it is not). If you play to your strengths than people will appreciate a new take on those things that they think are fun. If you give us an entirely different game than only those who like both types of games will even have the chance to like it. If I wanted to play a flight simulator, there are FAR better ones out there with FAR better settings for it; but I'm here to play Warframe, and I'm pretty certain I'm not alone.

6 hours ago, EnderDDT said:

Let me start out by saying that I used to like Archwing. I was actively working to build up my different archwings and try new things out. The only two reasons I didn't play more was that my friends didn't want to play (and playing with friends is one of my main reasons to be here) and because the rewards STUNK. After playing an entire archwing mission you can often come out with less material rewards than you would get in ONE SINGLE ROOM of most other missions. ONE SINGLE ROOM.  THAT was why I didn't play more.

Now I don't play, and often leave alerts that end up being archwing, because the mode is just not fun.

And yes, this is all AFTER the changes were made to supposedly fix things up after the initial archwing changes.

--------------------------------------------

The biggest problem: that (insert swear word of your choice) auto-righting. Flying even ONE single mission is enough to give me headaches, and I never do more then one so I don't know if the nausia is still an issue. This is a medical issue, only a couple steps down from "seizures if 1% of the population" because it seems to affect a sizable portion of the community despite it being far less lethal. This should have been hot-fixed out IMMEDIATELY. The fact that it is still in, despite people making it clear how big an issue it is, is a black mark on whomever is in charge. Give us an option if you are completely dead set on keeping it in the game, but absolutely do not think it is ok to force it on all players.

While it isn't realistic (in terms of reality, it is completely realistic in terms of gameplay), the best option is to just give us an acknowledged "up" and "down" direction. Remember, fun trumps realistic every time. What we find fun is Warframe. What not everyone finds to be fun is a flight simulator. Remember that. Yes, this will take some changing of the levels and such, but the goal is a fun game and a fun mode so it is worth the effort. Try giving us an option to lock vertical and see how that is taken, then try to fix the levels to work with that acknowledged up/down direction. This also has the added benefit that it allows you to more carefully craft how people will interact with and see the level, so remember that it also has some side benefits as well.

Speaking of side benefits, fixing the up/down axis will give us a map that is much more useful without having to revamp the entire way you do maps. Yes, this will only take the map back to how it was before and yes there are still improvements that need to be made (like preventing the goal marker from jumping away when you get near but not through the doorway to the next area, which still happens even now). In most cases now the map is actively worse than useless, actively frustrating any attempt to use it and making the entire mode seem like a badly optimized mess. Try it sometime, go into a mission like a normal person would and, after flying around so that up and down and forward and backward are all mixed up, try to home in on your objectives by using the map and not by using the mid-screen markers. Heck, even trying to use the map to FIND the markers can be an exercise of frusteration. If you, being the ones who know how it is supposed to work, have any difficulty at all than imagine how non-intuitive it is for everyone else.

The sliding around IS NOT FUN. It makes flight slugish and clucky and ill suited to the tight passageways and small entrances that are everywhere. Racing games can get away with this because the levels never change and because the fun is in mastery through repitition; but this game is different in both those ways. What this game is advertised to be is "space ninjas", yet can anyone call the way you have to fly with archwing "ninja"? Ninjas are quick, agile, reactive, and always ALWAYS sharp; NONE of those descriptions encompasses the current archwing. Drift should have been lessened from what it was before, not increased.

----------------------------------------------

Please DE: don't try to shove an unrealistic flight simulator down our throats. Figure out how to make Archwing "warframe in space" and people will like it. Give us an entirely different game and only a small percentage of us will like both even if it is a great game (which, at the moment, it is not). If you play to your strengths than people will appreciate a new take on those things that they think are fun. If you give us an entirely different game than only those who like both types of games will even have the chance to like it. If I wanted to play a flight simulator, there are FAR better ones out there with FAR better settings for it; but I'm here to play Warframe, and I'm pretty certain I'm not alone.

Actually,there is a LOT of people who wanted archwing to be different from simple warframe in space, people wanted it to be different because they wanted reason to play it, if its simply "warframe in space" then when they are bored of doing ground missions then they would also be bored of doing "warframe in space", people wanted archwing to be more like space combat sim, people asked for archwing to be mix of zone of the enders and space combat sim(something like strike suit zero), You cant even imagine how many people asked for 6DoF movement, ability to shot while spriting and to have dog fights with enemies.

Nothing wrong with 6DoF if we get 6 axis of control. But what we have is 4. It's nauseating and frustrating and the only time I ever end up in an archwing mission these days is by clicking an alert. Flag the alerts please. Or let me de-fit my archwing so that I can't accidentally join one.

Has anyone actually managed to beat a single Rush mission?

i have the feeling it would be a legitimate challenge in the previous system, but, as fancy as 6-axis flight sounds, it's nigh-unplayable. Any Corpus mission is a nightmare due to the thousand twist and turns. The minimap is even worse than before because, without an up or down, where your objective is becomes very confusing after you've been fighting/rolled a few times. Grineer missions are okay, but the minimap issue persists.

Quite frankly, I had some fun with Archwing before. Today, I leave each mission with less and less tolerance for the gamemode.

On 8/9/2016 at 8:09 AM, Bl4zko said:

Haha, yeah man, to make them feel a bit of the pain we feel with that archwing movement in corpus missions xD

all the time, have you tried jacking your FoV and sensitivity up to max?

If you're going to have full 6 degrees of movement then for the love of Lotus give us control over roll. Easiest combo I can think of would be Alt+A and Alt+D for roll left/right. Right now with no control over this Archwing is just unplayable.

Also please lose the zoom when engaging in melee ... the whole operation looks like a train wreck ...

Q and E for roll seems logical for me, but I can understand it's personal preference so please please please make archwing controls fully rebindable. I don't give two hoots for console players and their limits, I want rebindable controls.

DE, guys, sorry, this isn't working. Pls bring old AW flight model back. I know you put a lot of effort into it, but right now it's just bad. It's no 6 degree of freedom - it's 50 shades of grey. Pls, give us back what wasn't broken. Or at least an option in the menu to use the old system. Srsly, this is unbearable. Guys don't get stuck with this. 

On 8/12/2016 at 6:29 AM, Culaio said:

Actually,there is a LOT of people who wanted archwing to be different from simple warframe in space, people wanted it to be different because they wanted reason to play it, if its simply "warframe in space" then when they are bored of doing ground missions then they would also be bored of doing "warframe in space", people wanted archwing to be more like space combat sim, people asked for archwing to be mix of zone of the enders and space combat sim(something like strike suit zero), You cant even imagine how many people asked for 6DoF movement, ability to shot while spriting and to have dog fights with enemies.

Then where are these people?  Sure, every now and then someone MAY have come along, and said lets spice it up, but the MAJORITY of complaints were NOT aimed at its controls, but lack of rewards, lack of mods/maps, and long ranking periods..

What i DO see, are hundreds of people who are unable to play it anymore.. And no, even the open missions are not "okay" with the new movement.. Tight maps are just worse.. But i still get extremely ill, and disoriented in open space.. The illness is worse on tight maps, but the disorientation is worse on open ones, as i have no walls, or ground to tell which way is up, or down.. I cannot use my guns anymore..  Have you tried using a charged primary like Velocitus? Its extremely difficult to hit anything with now.. I CAN NOT PLAY IT! 

For every 1 of you guys who are "fine" with the new system, there are multitudes of people who are not..  In game, theres constantly people dropping from matches especially the alerts, or other missions which are not labeled... The rewards have stayed the same, the maps have stayed the same, the ranking up time stayed the same.. The only thing they changed, was movement, and its far, FAR worse.. I dont want a space flight sim, im playing Warframe.. I dont care about Zone of Enders,.. If i wanted to play it, i would! The way Archwing was controlled BEFORE the update, was far more fun, not at all nauseating, end felt tight.. What needed to be fixed was the reward tables/drop chances, mod aquisition, and added more modes/maps.. 

Its clear a few of you enjoy it, but just take a look at the amount of complaints versus admiration.. If youre being honest with yourself, its clear that its far more negative, than  positive.. And not just for the physical discomfort , but the same problems that plagued it before, AND now melee, and shooting is more difficult.. Shooting, i guess everyone is just supposed to use machine guns, and deal with horrible accuracy!? Melee used to be fun, you could combo from enemy to enemy, and it worked.. 

Please let me put it back the way it was, i cannot play it at all.. Not tight maps, not open maps, not even stationary, as the spinning around makes aiming too difficult.. With enemies still using the old movement, and me spinning, i cant even lead the target properly.. I have a tube of Dramamine in frot of me, trying to force myself t rank up some of my weapons, and i STILL am sick as heck!