Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Movement Overhaul Feedback [Megathread]

[DE]Taylor

1 hour ago, onieyez said:

I feel like puking each time I play archwing

what the hell happened to it? it's a hassle trying to figure out how to return to normal position

the minimap doesn't help you, and once you're upside down you are completely lost, and traveling through tunnels is even worst than before

I feel like a slug now in melee form

We are stationary sitting in our chair when we play, but when our screen and everything disorientates itself... that's not good for gaming, especially when we don't have full control of our camera. 

but seeing how this thread was started in july and it's november now
I guess things won't change soon

That is always the disappointing part.  We aren't the only comments on archwing, but the thread has run mostly steady for quite a long time and yet only one change was made.  Archwing is still trying to make the six degrees work well and be useful, but it just can't get the attention it needs to make it worthwhile.  The drifting and rotation are not the worse things ever, but they are disorienting and clumsy.  It make archwing more difficult then it needs to be and reduces the flow of the mode.

It is very much it's own game rather then just a mode in Warframe.  It needs it's own attention and to be shuffled loose from Warframe.

10 hours ago, (PS4)Kos-Mos3000 said:

Please revert to the old movement, this video will show you how players was so much in control.

Oh my god, I almost forgot how crisp and awesome the old system was. I truly miss this. Why did you ever change it to begin with DE? Even if it wasn't perfect, what made you think that making us like lead cannon balls rolling down a hill was better?

3 hours ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

Oh my god, I almost forgot how crisp and awesome the old system was. I truly miss this. Why did you ever change it to begin with DE? Even if it wasn't perfect, what made you think that making us like lead cannon balls rolling down a hill was better?

the new archwing movement feels amazing in open space ill give them that but tight corridors its very sluggish uncontrollable which is why they should have kept the old ones for the tight spaces.

I find it annoying that we cant roll or shoot while moving at mid speed (holding W+shift). If you wanna roll you need to come to a complete stop. If you want to shoot theres a slowdown. If you want to turn in trench runs better coast slowly.

Theres also some delay when taking our fingers off the roll button. Almost as if the inertia from the actual flight model is also in effect when we're just stationary and rolling. It makes it hard to align properly to 180 degrees (i need more practice with the new roll controls tbh).

The physics feel interesting and its a okay experience in open space. Corpus Trenches are still a huge problem.

Also i have a request, please let us fly inside the kuva asteroid field. I wanna try my hand at dodging all those flying rocks.

16 hours ago, (PS4)Kos-Mos3000 said:

Please revert to the old movement, this video will show you how players was so much in control.

After some absence from doing any Archwing missions at all, I went back to finish up the last part of Neptune and found myself in quite the nightmare. I do understand the need and the vision of upgrading the archwing part, and I think the full 360 roll was a pretty great idea, although it is backed up by next to no tools to in fact navigate anywhere. 

Kos-Mos3000's video is an excellent showcase on what is missing - things such as sharp turns, precise flight through the obstacles presented in the narrower maps and a sense of direction. 

Aiming and slight movements are way too floaty and often result in unwanted movement, or force me to resort to melee combat and hope I hit something.

Potential solutions could be adding a form of axis manipulation and reducing the sway between character and crosshair, which would allow steady aiming and movement. 

Onieyez also had a good point regarding the map and touches on the camera/axis part I mentioned above. 

Changes I want to see: just do something, guiz. The new controls have been an interesting experiment, and I hope you learned a lot from it, but please head on back to the drawing board. Needs more focus on responsiveness and navigability.

Edited by motorfirebox

Let's make a pro and con list here

Pros of New System:

360 degree rotation

100% Flying Freedom

Cons of New System:

Floaty

Too Much Inertia

Bad Camera Angle

Boring and Primitive Navigation Mechanics

Pros of Old System:

Crisp Controls

Precision and Great Turning Radius

Cons of Old System:

Restrictive Movements

Boring and Primitive Navigation Mechanics

As you can see, On one hand, it was like we were flying on a railroad track, and now we're like a bar of soap in a bath tub. We might have been able to control ourselves well before, but there was a limit to our flight capabilities. Now we have complete freedom in our flight, but it's almost impossible to control. It seems that we need something different for Archwing, which honestly I think we could just use a slight touch up for now, and a complete overhaul can wait until the other problems in the game have been fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2016 at 2:37 PM, (PS4)Kos-Mos3000 said:

This was nice. Archwing used to feel like flying around a ship as a super hero. Now it feels like flying around a room as a fly that got hit by a fan blade.

A way to change it back to the old (if wanted) would be wonderful! I honestly try to stay away from AW missions now as much as possible. Even as far as skipping the Uranus tilesets for fear that I'll have to go through the water. Normal Mission or Snazzy Alert, it doesn't matter. I don't want to play Archwing at all. My foundry with completed but not claimed AW weapons will give proof of that. :(

On 11/20/2016 at 3:07 AM, EinheriarJudith said:

the new archwing movement feels amazing in open space ill give them that but tight corridors its very sluggish uncontrollable which is why they should have kept the old ones for the tight spaces.

I just wish there was a way we could get some compromise. The full freedom of movement is fine, but I hate that sloppy, floaty feeling that the current control scheme has.

Still doesn't change my biggest gripe with archwing being how unrelated it seems to the game at large. I really wanted it to be more integrated with the rest of the game. Uranus had the right idea, but putting it underwater took one of the primary aspects of fun, the speed, out of the equation.

I just imagine an asteroid defense mission with an open sky. You start on the asteroid defending a point as usual, but if you jump high enough to hit the map bounding box, instead of having your warframe returned to the ground, they instead switch to archwing mode. Or a mobile defense where the to get from point to point its archwing movement.

It all just feels like a big wasted opportunity to me.

Edited by Caelward

9 hours ago, Caelward said:

It all just feels like a big wasted opportunity to me.

I actually thought we'd be getting something like that around the Kuva Fortress after how the TWW quest introduced it. But none of that has anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Personally I actually like the drifting and not feeling like on rails anymore because that never made sense. But the roll is really badly implemented - there's no reason to ever roll in all the corridor maps and constantly spinning the mouse to flip yourself back in the horizontal is annoying (and those new keybinds do exactly nothing while in flight).

Edited by Snib