Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing "Self-righting" needs to be a toggle/button press (This will stop most motion sickness!)

MDRLOz

So the new 6 degrees of movement for archwing is great but the self righting to the starting plane is awful.

If you stand still after flying for a bit your archwing will attempt to retunr to neutral. Any movement will pause this righting for a second.

This is mostly fine if you are not moving or doing anything but it also happens if you try to move in a straight line without turning. This starts after only a second of static movemnt and if you move at all it suddenly stops. This makes for a very unnatural jarring movement as if someone else has a hand on your controls.

The fact that this motion is not controllable by the player is probably one of the reasons for the "motion sickness" that some players are feeling.

A simple change would be to make it ONLY when you are not moving at all.

Alternatively put it so that a button has to be held to "self-right" the archwing. A good choice for this would be the reload button as it is not even used in archwing gun or melee. I think I will make a video to help explain this.

I dont like ot beg but please give us the option to prevent this/alter it. PLEASE!

6 minutes ago, MDRLOz said:

So the new 6 degrees of movement for archwing is great but the self righting to the starting plane is awful.

If you stand still after flying for a bit your archwing will attempt to retunr to neutral. Any movement will pause this righting for a second.

This is mostly fine if you are not moving or doing anything but it also happens if you try to move in a straight line without turning. This starts after only a second of static movemnt and if you move at all it suddenly stops. This makes for a very unnatural jarring movement as if someone else has a hand on your controls.

The fact that this motion is not controllable by the player is probably one of the reasons for the "motion sickness" that some players are feeling.

A simple change would be to make it ONLY when you are not moving at all.

Alternatively put it so that a button has to be held to "self-right" the archwing. A good choice for this would be the reload button as it is not even used in archwing gun or melee. I think I will make a video to help explain this.

I dont like ot beg but please give us the option to prevent this/alter it. PLEASE!

This should be done... it's not only the main cause of motion sickness for players sensitive to such things, it's bloody annoying to everyone who plays Archwing content.

22 minutes ago, MDRLOz said:

I'm down for this

18 hours ago, (XB1)x Deathcraft x said:

Are you sure there isn't some sort of auto centering option?

Well there is the automatic auto center if thats what you mean.

However after looking through the menus I can see no way of turning this off/altering it.

If I remember correctly, in 3d space, "up and down" is the Z-axis.  When you're on the ground, your altitude, the z-axis measurement, is not too relevant to you.  In space, however, all 3 axes are suddenly very important because there is no frame of reference (i.e. you don't essentially eliminate an axis from consideration).

Luckily, in a 3d space on a computer, there is always an absolute up (Ooooooh, philosophical implications!) so I am all for providing one.

I support a self-righting button.  It is not without precedent, Ace Combat has had this at least since AC4.

The only question I have is this: If you make it a toggle, wouldn't that more or less return you the previous control method? I mean the turning will still be affected, but it seems like it would be a huge advantage upon first glance.

Ace combat 4 is planes so it is within an atmosphere with clear sky and land.

It wouldnt be like the old system as in the old system you couldnt do a loop. There was a maximum "Up" you could look on the Z axis. You would still have the new syste mand could fly around like a mad fly. However it would jsut stop the game always trying to return you to the starting orientation or neutral.

Also this topic got mentioned on the Dev stream (Thanks Rebecca) and scott said things will happen.