Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SyandanaConcept+Preview

So a while ago, I had an idea for a syandana and did a couple sketches to get it down. It was loosely based off of the Imperator and Uru Syandana in that I wanted to implement a collar. 

The syandana in my head was pretty elaborate inspired by roman legions and the crown wreaths and I wanted it to sit a little more naturally on the warframe body. With that in mind and the military function behind its design I tried to make the collar as important as the cape to push for a senior commander or ground captain aesthetic.

c9yBlWd.jpg

(Note: these ideas weren't intitially generated for the purpose of creation, merely exploring designs and ideas)

The ideas here range from the functional neck guards prevalent in the top row to the elborate wings in the bottom right. I was trying to keep the forms close to the neck and subtle as to not encroach to much into the chest area where armor would most likely be present. I was thinking how a tenno officer would want to be portrayed on the battlefield; not so elaborate that they are a walking bull's eye but not so subtle that troops cannot immediately identify them as a ranking soldier.

Something that embodied elegance and seniority but was also modest and not ostentatious was what I was aiming for, but before I could think about what would work I felt I needed to design the cape that it would flow into and be a part of.

43PquwD.jpg

iLgKgKU.jpg

I really wanted to create a low hanging syandana that looked as if it had an excess of cloth that was pinned up by the collar, but I also wanted to make it look and feel like it would be worn by a quick and powerful warframe, so I dropped some designs in favor of a more streamlined look like the last 4 on the bottom line.

In the end I took a collar and cape that I felt look streamlined and light but also elaborate enough to make an impact without going to over the top.

YkkPPfS.jpg

uFxs2AP.jpg

LhEQSsI.jpg

tFTR9IX.jpg

The previews above are high polygon sculpts of the WIP syandana that I made to practice hardsurface sculpting techniques.

I started work on this syandana at first to post in the concepts thread but after enjoying taking it further so much I thought 'what the hell' and decided to see how it would look on the warframe models I had. As I imagined and as you can probably guess Saryn's shoulders overwhelmed the mesh and completely obscured the collar. With the larger frames like atlas (and rhino whom I cannot upload an image of for some reason or other) the collar needed to be scaled to occupy their broad shoulders. Strangely enough it weaves quite nicely through Nekros' neck tendons, but clips through his shoulders.

dwwojew.png

QQdqWqZ.png

5pqOw8y.png

vIzpOVw.png

xDqoS97.png

zwxYl5G.png

gjq5mOT.png

So this conceptual syandana is not very feasible in alot of ways and I designed it with just that in mind. I didn't want to try and make it into an actual item and yet here I am posting in tennogen. So I want to treat this more as a feedback thread and hear people's ideas of work arounds, what they think of it, if its something they'd like to see in game, if it's even possible for it to be in game. 

TL;DR This syandana was designed badly for in game implementation, but if cool would like to hear feedback and ideas for how to make work ;)

So yeah, feedback would great, an idea for fixing the design to work in game would be awesome. I'll mention and update with any ideas of my own and you guys can tell me if they're garbage or not or suggest your own. Thanks! :)

Edited by ReckonStellar

I think you just need to simplify the folds a little bit.  Some of the the creasing and folds just don't make sense and you have to account for that circular cut at the bottom to sell the drapery much better. Maybe put a border around the edges so that it could hold that shape. Very nice sketches though, really love the line work.

3 hours ago, KWANi said:

Awesome stuff!

DE has already designed something like this in a very early Dev Stream but scratched it. I was going to redesign Teplo like this until I saw this.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/c/c6/Livestream24_Scarves2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140309094603

Woah dayum, thats awesome but I guess they came across the issues way beforehand. Thanks for post! Saved me alot of time and trouble :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't stop there. Create each of the concept variants.
These are some really neat and effectively useful ideas that could really fit into the game, and the simplicity of the design will definitely attract a large amount of players.