Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Regarding the fairness of TennoGen selection process

I just watched the latest devstream with the announcement of TennoGen items making the cut this round, and noticed that there are a lot of Grineer warframe skins (by the same creator) being picked all at once.  I can't help but think that we're starting to witness the prospect on "being able to collect a complete set" being added as a consideration to the overall qualification process.  How does the community feel about this?

• Are we happy that we'll be given the opportunity to complete a set?
  • Do we see this turning into something like a guaranteed placement in a beauty pageant? (what if the quality of one future Grineer skin turns out to be very bad, will it still make the cut for the sake of completing the set?)
  • Can we expect more creators to adopt the same strategy, and how will this impact creativity? (ie. Corpus skins for everything)  
  • Is there a better way to handle "sets" submissions instead of taking up multiple slots in a TennoGen round?

Disclaimer:

I do not intend for this topic to be about the quality of any individual TennoGen item.  I used Faven_PS' Grineer skins as an example to illustrate my concerns, but I am NOT saying they are undeserving to be selected (personally I found them to be cool).

You can actually see that some creations from the workshop were discarded/not chosen even if they were part of a set.
Can't really recall names right now, but I remember fairly well seeing a couple helmets introduced to the shop while the relative body reskins were not implemented (even if published at the same time on Steam for approval).

The process is by vote. Discounting stuff like Bal Mirage and Victoria Valkyr and any other skins that would not fit in-universe (with Visage Nova being a one-of-a-kind thing that will never happen again), they then pick the stuff that got the most votes and stop when they run out of slots. If there's a trend, then it only means that most of the people voting find that sort of thing to be appealing. Of course, some items might be voted out simply because the voters are tired of seeing it, creating a negative trend. Then of course there are doubtlessly also biases for or against certain creators based on their past content.

So it's about as fair as a polling process can be.

Edited by Dreddeth
Changed "community" to "voters." Not everyone in the community votes on Tennogen.

DE have stated that there are no limits to Tennogen acceptance, if they see it fitting in both quality and design, then it will be accepted. Real unfairness is if the creators are denied the opportunity despite their effort in making good and fitting skins just because it might seem "unfair" if their themed skins gets chosen.

If you afraid that people can easily be chosen just by making a set. There are already other grineer themed skin other than Faven's that didn't get accepted.

5 minutes ago, Dreddeth said:

-snip-

That is incorrect. Tennogen was not accepted based on vote. Vote helps, but in the end DE's the one that decides everything. There are also no slot limits, previous rounds we got 14 items while there are 21 in this round

Just now, Rekkou said:

That is incorrect. Tennogen was not accepted based on vote. Vote helps, but in the end DE's the one that decides everything. There are also no slot limits, previous rounds we got 14 items while there are 21 in this round

Did not actually know that. Huh.

On July 23, 2016 at 6:17 PM, PoisonHD said:

Its not because its a set... Its because they 

1. All look good.

2. Are liked by the community, and were top rated.

Not for a set or anything -_-

On July 23, 2016 at 6:16 PM, GrandMAsterDan said:

I spend a lot of time in Fan Concepts and a number of people there want a grineer themed/influenced frame, so it's not too far fetched that grineer skins would be disproportionately popular as well. 

Seems subject to personal preference atm, personally it's fine some of you are into it but I'm "myself" am not into it

(disclaimer I speak only on behalf of myself and myself alone as should you)

Just now, (PS4)avatar-heart said:

Seems subject to personal preference atm, personally it's fine some of you are into it but I'm "myself" am not into it

(disclaimer I speak only on behalf of myself and myself alone as should you)

In addition a poll seems like the most reasonable way to get wanted gear for tennogen... Player made items voted by players, and that's all I have to say

I like the idea of sets, but at the same time I'd like to see a lot more variety as well. That's kind of the reason why I would by a skin in the first place. Some of the better skins that I've seen and bought have had no theme repeats at all. I was rather hopeing that the Emperor Frost skin would have made it in if only to shake things up a bit, but all we really got was a beard helmet. The Valkyr Victoria one would have been nice on the list as well.

Detail wise, the Volt Grineer skin looks flat tho (as in, devoided of anything besides rubber straps and mostly random brushed metal decals)... even the helmet's looks flat. More so than default Volt, Mag's butt; and Nezha's chest... even more than an actual Grineer.

Edited by Duduminador