Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

TennoGen Update: New Content & Next Round Date!

2 hours ago, TRSS said:

@[DE]Rebecca 

I would like to point out a severe issue that should be forwarded to your studio:

Many texture references within the .fbx files as found on the "CONTENT FILES AND EXAMPLES" page are nonfunctional after distribution due to absolute file paths instead of relative file paths AND direct us to non-existent file names. Check Ivara for example.

Edit: Why do the "Examples" not include .fbx files with materials (for texture references) like the "Content"?

I'm new to Tennogen, but when I saw Ash was added, I wanted to give it a go. From what I've found, you have to find the download (ex. being Ash) in your files and unzip the folder. I assume they zipped the folder so it'd be easier to share, and require less data. This'll pretty much allow you to use less data by zipping files for frames you don't want to work on (though you'll have to unzip them every time you want to work on said frame), and only have the ones you want unzipped (it may seem confusing, but that's apparently how this works). However, a lot of the frames appear to be missing one or two maps or parts, as of the last time i checked.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)UKILR said:

However, a lot of the frames appear to be missing one or two maps or parts, as of the last time i checked.

Indeed, I checked Loki and his folders misses several textures as well.

Hi guys!

Thanks for posting your concerns about potential issues in the newest TennoGen assets.

We've provided you guys with an engine-compatible clean slate, of sorts, to allow you to approach these characters as creatively as possible. The file paths are currently set up to simplify putting your creations into the game.

It's been 24(ish) hours since this content was released, so hopefully all the hiccups have been worked out. If you guys come across any snags, just let me know and I'll do my best to get them fixed!

On 7/25/2016 at 11:43 AM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Yes that's right, all Warframes (except Equinox)

(except Equinox)

Equinox

TtJQKE0.jpg

Lol on a serious note though, this is great news!

I can't wait to see what kind of amazing creations we'll be seeing in the coming months! [:

16 hours ago, N7_Lotus said:

I don't agree, besides it's not difficult to install steam and choose your method of payment.

In case you didn't know, the creators get paid too... The profits are split between the creator, DE, and steam.

'I don't agree, besides it's not difficult to install steam and choose your method of payment. '

Firstly, I do not need Steam client. I have no desire to install it. At all. There is no need to impose your preferences to me. It's a bit annoying.

Secondly, I has participated quite a huge amount of personal time to test this game. Yes, this is my contribution to its development. I have dedicated a part of me, in some kind, and I do not care if anyone thinks this is a insignificant payment, I did it in all sincerity.
That's why , adding to this contribution some of my money I do not intend. I had already enough personal expenses. Moreover, I'm not going to buy dollars at the exchange rate of Ukraine (only a complete moron would do so).
as a result, I can not afford to spend real money on Steam-skins, in my case it would be a very expensive purchase. But I know that many other players (with whom I regularly do ingame exchange) are able and willing to spend money on them over and over again.

So...
' In case you didn't know, the creators get paid too... The profits are split between the creator, DE, and steam. '

I am quite aware of how split profits from sales of skins. In case you didn`t understand anything of what I have proposed (and judging by your reaction, you didnt), then I can explain in more detail, that it does not affect existing distribution of profits, except increasing those profits.  ...but I think my English is not enough for such an explanation.... If you still don`t understand, then you have a chance to understand even less, if I try to explain XD
21 hours ago, keensight_JDS said:

'I don't agree, besides it's not difficult to install steam and choose your method of payment. '

Firstly, I do not need Steam client. I have no desire to install it. At all. There is no need to impose your preferences to me. It's a bit annoying.

Secondly, I has participated quite a huge amount of personal time to test this game. Yes, this is my contribution to its development. I have dedicated a part of me, in some kind, and I do not care if anyone thinks this is a insignificant payment, I did it in all sincerity.
That's why , adding to this contribution some of my money I do not intend. I had already enough personal expenses. Moreover, I'm not going to buy dollars at the exchange rate of Ukraine (only a complete moron would do so).
as a result, I can not afford to spend real money on Steam-skins, in my case it would be a very expensive purchase. But I know that many other players (with whom I regularly do ingame exchange) are able and willing to spend money on them over and over again.

So...
' In case you didn't know, the creators get paid too... The profits are split between the creator, DE, and steam. '

I am quite aware of how split profits from sales of skins. In case you didn`t understand anything of what I have proposed (and judging by your reaction, you didnt), then I can explain in more detail, that it does not affect existing distribution of profits, except increasing those profits.  ...but I think my English is not enough for such an explanation.... If you still don`t understand, then you have a chance to understand even less, if I try to explain XD

So what you're saying is that you want a way to get it in-game without paying real money right? No support, this is a FREE to play game, how else would they make money?

Besides what a baseless claim, if doing that would've increased profits, wouldn't they have done it by now?

Edited by N7_Lotus

I guess hes saying that just like how people get by with the platinum in game, there are people who supply and circulate these plats in the game, these people are the one you spends money to get platinum for with prime access or with the regular way.

I think he basically saying that allowing more people(basically the non steam users) to buy these skins could create more profit by creating demand by opening the market to those people who cant want reluctant to spend, and the sellers are the one who basically pays for the steam creators. Just like how DE decided to remove the time limit of the time exclusive skins (the deluxe skins) so more people could by thier skins.

I think that Its the matter of how much plats will the seller will sell their steam bought skins which they bought with their money (probably around 1000-2000 plat for the conversion).

Edited by CrystalRibbon
16 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

We've provided you guys with an engine-compatible clean slate, of sorts, to allow you to approach these characters as creatively as possible. The file paths are currently set up to simplify putting your creations into the game.

Thanks for joining the dicussion, @[DE]Taylor

There are discrepancies between your internal and public nomenclature. This is due to different names for the same item (for example "Archer" instead of "TGenIvara") and different suffixes:

Your "TEXTURING GUIDE" defines the following suffixes...

• Albedo: filename_d
  • Normal: filename_n
  • Metalness: filename_s
  • Roughness: filename_r
  • Emissive: filename_e
  • Tint masks: filenameTintMask_d

...but you distribute textures with these suffixes:

• AO (not defined by Texturing guide)
  • Curve (is that bump due to legacy shading?)
  • Normal
  • Tintmask
  • IDMask

I cannot imagine how this simplifies putting our creations into the game if we want to start editing based on the default textures. Usually I load an .fbx into a 3d app of my choice in order to have materials assigned automatically (since .obj does not support that without .mtl) but then I have to correct each file path manually what is just tedious. I would also love to see all textures included since some examples (checked for Banshee) lack metalness, roughness, emissive maps.

Edit 1: Wukong's/MonkeyKing's .fbx includes a material called "Tenno:Body1" that sets his diffuse map (MonkeyKing_d) to transparency. No biggie but may require fixing. In addition it seems like his helmet's diffuse map is missing.

Edit 2: Your "EvolutionPBR.glsl" says

import lib-sampler.glsl
import lib-pbr.glsl
import lib-alpha.glsl

so I wonder where to get those files from.

Edit 3: Does evolution engine accept overlapping UV maps and can it build lighting from them?

Edited by TRSS

I think it would be interesting to explore a dual currency system for TennoGen items, basically using the sale-split in real money when purchased through Steam, and sales-split in Plat when purchased in-game. It can be both 30%.

The advantage for players: non-Steam players can buy TennoGen items, with plat they didn't necessarily bought with real money.

The disadvantage for DE: they will lose the potential income through Steam, or all of it when everyone decide to buy it in-game, and then it all depends on the money-plat conversion rate.

Something else that might be worth exploring, depending on how TennoGen artists think of this, offering some items in-game only. Maybe there are some out here that are really happy their designs got in, and care less about getting money from it, and rather have their design accessible to as many players as possible. Then it might be interesting to sell it in the market for plat, and not through Steam.

The advantage for DE and all players: they have extra items.

The advantage for artists: their stuff can be bought and used by way more players.

The disadvantage for artists: they don't get paid in cash.

Edited by Ambiroa
5 hours ago, TRSS said:

There are discrepancies between your internal and public nomenclature. This is due to different names for the same item (for example "Archer" instead of "TGenIvara") and different suffixes:

• Normal
  • Tintmask
  • IDMask

I cannot imagine how this simplifies putting our creations into the game if we want to start editing based on the default textures. Usually I load an .fbx into a 3d app of my choice in order to have materials assigned automatically (since .obj does not support that without .mtl) but then I have to correct each file path manually what is just tedious. I would also love to see all textures included since some examples (checked for Banshee) lack metalness, roughness, emissive maps.

Edit 1: Wukong's/MonkeyKing's .fbx includes a material called "Tenno:Body1" that sets his diffuse map (MonkeyKing_d) to transparency. No biggie but may require fixing. In addition it seems like his helmet's diffuse map is missing.

Edit 3: Does evolution engine accept overlapping UV maps and can it build lighting from them?

Thanks for the feedback!

I've passed your comment on and we're looking into it. :)

5 hours ago, TRSS said:

• Normal
  • Tintmask
  • IDMask

The files referred to in the texturing guide are what you need to create.

AO, Curve, etc are the standard maps that people use to create those textures (source files).  It is beyond the scope of what we are doing to teach the use of those, but there are many great resources available for that (Polycount.com, etc).

FBXs are provided 'as is' from the game directory.  The materials applied to them are largely immaterial. Max / Maya / Blender etc do not have a PBR relevant viewport (at the time of this writing).

EvolutionPBR.glsl as noted in the docs that shader is for use with Substance painter.  Other relevant files are part of that program.

Edit 3:  Yes it does.  None of the stuff for Tennogen will have lighting built, as they are all dynamically lit objects.

8 minutes ago, [DE]Kary said:

FBXs are provided 'as is' from the game directory.  The materials applied to them are largely immaterial. Max / Maya / Blender etc do not have a PBR relevant viewport (at the time of this writing).

EvolutionPBR.glsl as noted in the docs that shader is for use with Substance painter.  Other relevant files are part of that program.

Edit 3:  Yes it does.  None of the stuff for Tennogen will have lighting built, as they are all dynamically lit objects.

Thanks, @[DE]Kary, that clears most things up. I could have realized earlier that EvolutionPBR.glsl was specifically made for Substance Painter.

Another concern of mine: Unfortunately the axis for up vector differs from app to app what also changes the shading due to normal maps. Could you specify which colour channel is used for which relative direction? Nvidia provides a normal map filter plugin for photoshop but I am uncertain which settings to choose (you can invert X/Y/Z).

26 minutes ago, TRSS said:

Thanks, @[DE]Kary, that clears most things up. I could have realized earlier that EvolutionPBR.glsl was specifically made for Substance Painter.

Another concern of mine: Unfortunately the axis for up vector differs from app to app what also changes the shading due to normal maps. Could you specify which colour channel is used for which relative direction? Nvidia provides a normal map filter plugin for photoshop but I am uncertain which settings to choose (you can invert X/Y/Z).

We use the DirectX standard, so that'll be X+/Y-/Z+

On 27.07.2016 at 0:33 PM, CrystalRibbon said:

I guess hes saying that just like how people get by with the platinum in game, there are people who supply and circulate these plats in the game, these people are the one you spends money to get platinum for with prime access or with the regular way.

I think he basically saying that allowing more people(basically the non steam users) to buy these skins could create more profit by creating demand by opening the market to those people who cant want reluctant to spend, and the sellers are the one who basically pays for the steam creators. Just like how DE decided to remove the time limit of the time exclusive skins (the deluxe skins) so more people could by thier skins.

I think that Its the matter of how much plats will the seller will sell their steam bought skins which they bought with their money (probably around 1000-2000 plat for the conversion).

Yes, probably, this is exactly what I meant to say
thank you

51 minutes ago, acid_ox said:

Do you mean this TennoGen will be available in the game on Sep 8th? You've got to be kidding me.. It's not fair.. =/ You have promised to release it in August.. You re disappointed me again...

You've misread, they're going to decide a new round on September 8th, not release the ones that they picked recently.

Also, they technically didn't promise anything either.

25 minutes ago, KJRenz said:

You've misread, they're going to decide a new round on September 8th, not release the ones that they picked recently.

Also, they technically didn't promise anything either.

Seriously?! Thank god! I'm glad to hear that I was wrong. At least, hope you re right..

On 27 July 2016 at 10:06 AM, keensight_JDS said:

So...

You come at this from the wrong angle, You've "dedicated your personal time"???? No you got access to a free game, that you play and supposedly enjoy, you make it sound like you went out of your way to do a kind thing for DE when you could have been doing something more productive... You, as will all of us, are nothing as an individual, you were given an opportunity if you were in closed beta to try the game and help out by choice... Else you just jumped on the ride after everyone could get in, your not a special snowflake who's contribution needs to be acknowledged, because you essentially have no individual contribution, the community is what gives feedback, not you alone, and if you don't want to join in on a steam related community contribution, then don't, but don't cry that you've been wronged and ignored because in this case you chose not to participate. Steam provides the modding platform, Steam controls the distribution, Steam has a contract with DE, either deal with those facts or remain quiet as you sulk in your puddle of salty tears.