The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oh Lord, Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Or: We Need A Second Interaction Key, Please)

Bibliothekar

The X button has become quite a busy one. It activates consoles, opens doors and lockers, picks up Syndicate medallions, energy cells, void keys in Sabotage missions, loots the random Grineer corpse, and as of recently, it also commands Syndicate squadmates and specters to hold position or follow me.

Most of these things don't really interfere with each other. There's rarely a medallion next to a locker or an energy cell below an alarm terminal. The last one, however, has become quite bothersome for me really fast. Because the Syndicate operatives keep running around me and getting in the way when I interact with stuff. And so I find myself going back every other room because one of those guys has misinterpreted me opening a locker as an order to stay there and guard it.

This is not only because they keep circling around me even when I'm standing perfectly still, but also because the interaction prompt is sometimes a metre or two next to the guy.

So please, give us a second interaction key for Syndicate operatives, specters and rescue hostages.

And since I'm already on it: I'd really love to have an option to turn of the "tudunk" sound that plays when I walk past an interactable $thing. Because with the Syndicate guys running around me all the time and thus the sound playing all the time, this has become easily the most annoying sound for me in the game. Even a manic's laughter ranks lower ...

To answer unasked questions: I really like the Syndicate guys and appreciate their help, that's why I don't want to leave them behind and why it really bugs me when they misinterpret my commands and I have to go back and get them.

I think a better solution is to drop the two operatives that fallow you around during syndicate missions. Seriously, what is the point of them? The most they do for me is attack enemies that im trying to sneak up on and ruins my stealth kills.

We generally need way more customization when it comes to key mapping. The ropes you will always jump on when trying to pick up Power-Cells, finishers not working properly and sometimes trigger a std-melee attack instead and everything else where having an efficient keyset doesnt mean hardcoding everything to one key.

Edited by Prime
typo

47 minutes ago, Prime said:

The ropes you will always jump on when trying to pick up Power-Cells

Right, I forgot about ziplines. There's one spot on the Corpus outpost tileset where I always find myself on the zipline when I try and open a locker. Through the roof of the container with the locker in it ...

Just now, Bibliothekar said:

Right, I forgot about ziplines. There's one spot on the Corpus outpost tileset where I always find myself on the zipline when I try and open a locker. Through the roof of the container with the locker in it ...

ziplines, right, forgot the work for a sec/min/50mins there... 

I always have that problem on one of the more common Sechura tilesets where you first take an elevator to get to the pod. I always get dragged across half the map when trying to open lockers in that elevator-room xD

On 25.7.2016 at 9:34 PM, Marine027 said:

Main problem as far i rememebr on this topic is that the game is also made for consoles who are limited in keys on there controllers, so they made it that way and won't change that soon sadly according to older topics.

Well, they made the "Context Action Includes Reload" setting for consoles. I somewhat doubt that they can't split the context action in two and allow both to be mapped to the same key/button.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 3:13 PM, Bibliothekar said:

Well, they made the "Context Action Includes Reload" setting for consoles. I somewhat doubt that they can't split the context action in two and allow both to be mapped to the same key/button.

Consoles can use extra Menus, like we needed for Ivara and some others, there should be at least one more binding available currently. My current config has menu on the d-pad right which leaves the option for a context or reload available for d-pad left.

• 2 weeks later...

Something else I've noticed: Operatives will react to the interaction key even when they're neither in focus nor even in range. I've had Operatives that took my opening a locker (depending on the number of open lockers, I'll just walk past them and mash X) as their order to stay put, although they still were in the next room running to me. If you want them to follow, however, you have to walk right up to them and wait for the interaction prompt to pop up before they'll react to it.