Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nova Prime Punker Helm Concept (WIP)

UPDATE;

So I have been learning substance painter, and I think i have got my head around the toolsets so high hopes for my forthcoming works.

Now I havent updated the concept just yet, working on other things trying to get work :'] but in the mean time heres an sample of what i can do in substance painter, bare in mind this is just a product of a tinker session.

75127b9e33736eed6804c5768f849334.jpeg Hoping you like it as much as I do lol

1/  In terms of PBR it looks great, but im going to have to try make sure it fits with the other nova's so PBR may have to wait until DE decides to do that for their own content. Else I'll have to make a full body skin for it. Which, given I have the time and motivational/morale backing, i'll do it happily C:

2/ As in the original concept, the element of the particle effects (by which i mean the power effect/colour), almost looks like a physical body. I planned initially to have that as shear power effect planes, but I will be producing a version which holds the helmet almost completely a whole bodied mesh, rather than seperate parts, This will allow more friendly poly count as well as tick some boxes amongst the comments and feedback i have received.

Hopefully, I will have something more universal, and less prime. Still flexible enough to be used as a prime alternative. Now there is alot of time now till the next selection process. So I am very much considering doing a whole Re-Skin.

I dont know, lets see c: Thanks for all the appreciation and feedback, all with love aswell. To be honest i would like to make a whole pbr skin, but yeah. lets see how things pan out.

Original Post;

Hello everyone,

I made a alternate helm designed for Nova Prime. Its still a work in progress with textures. I was going to get it done for last entries lol but i ran into some troubles.

The following are test renders, and concept;

015b4239676038a852dc3a72f9cf63b6.jpegThis is the Photoshop concept. clearly.

14a5cb27e1e93e89d167640615d084cb.jpeg

This is the zbrush sculpt. High poly ofcourse.

af4ef39b856b7cbc3b2d15c6bfc5f58e.jpeg

And finally the low poly, and below is a couple test renders run realtime in Marmoset Toolbag;

824f0b91dc144e7f45b7fc45cbed97f3.jpeg3bcf6fad34aae53d2643d741c9483779.jpeg8297758b80018fff898652e7df8bd3d0.jpeg

Now this is still a work in progress, i still need to make some textures, like a proper diffuse map, and work with that to get appropriate values so it works well with a tint mask.

Hope you like it so far, The body mesh is from Nova's example content.

Edited by omar_0007

Looks amazing, I guess it needs some work on the shape (like a more noticeable chin, I'm not an artist but I guess it could help a lot)

6 minutes ago, NovusNova said:

Interesting design.

Though are we allowed to make "Prime Stuff"?

I wonder if removing "prime" from the name and playing a little with the metal bits color to make it look like, for example, platinum could do the trick. The prime color scheme could be shown as an alternative and I guess there would be no more problem with it.

It would be awesome but... I'm concerned about how devs will react about it. It all depends on what a Warframe is supposed to be. We already have Mag that has something like this, but this is kind of pushing it further. We'll see. Anyway, I really like the idea.

Thanks everyone C: Nice to have some positive responses aswell as feedback.

16 hours ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Awesome! It reminded me of a cloth head armor from World of Warcraft. :3

haha thank you very much, I havent really played world of warcraft im afraid

16 hours ago, NovusNova said:

Interesting design.

Though are we allowed to make "Prime Stuff"?

16 hours ago, Melos-mevim said:

I would suggest toying with the color of the gold to make it look less primey for normal nova, but a player could easily color it gold for nova prime

16 hours ago, -----LegioN----- said:

Looks amazing, I guess it needs some work on the shape (like a more noticeable chin, I'm not an artist but I guess it could help a lot)

I wonder if removing "prime" from the name and playing a little with the metal bits color to make it look like, for example, platinum could do the trick. The prime color scheme could be shown as an alternative and I guess there would be no more problem with it.

Yeah, i thought that, but im really keen to get an alternate prime helm for my nova LOL

Though i do agree with you all, maybe cutting out the "prime" and going for a platinum-esque thing would be safer.

I will try fiddle with it so make a more noticable chin, my intention was for there to be very little chin, but i do understand your point c:

2 hours ago, matto said:

It would be awesome but... I'm concerned about how devs will react about it. It all depends on what a Warframe is supposed to be. We already have Mag that has something like this, but this is kind of pushing it further. We'll see. Anyway, I really like the idea.

Thank you matto, appreciate it very much c: I do see what you mean. I am just in hopes that the idea is atleast likeable. If it gets in there top of the pops, it would just be that extra lovely haha thanks for the feedback, i'll maybe experiment in photoshop later

2 hours ago, led2012WF said:

the little thing on the nose part broke the curvy look of the whole helmet

Ahh yes, i do see your point, i saw it like a centre point of a flower, flowed outwards lol i'll have a gander in photoshop later maybe c:

I love the idea, and it looks beautiful! I worry though; Warframes, while they may not always look like a human could fit in them per se, always have human elements. (Aside from some Premium skins, of course.) Things like five fingers minimum, more or less accurately proportioned feet, in short, they give the impression that they're human. While the cage gives it the right silhouette, there's no actual "head."

Now, if this is acceptable as is, I've got my wallet ready. But if I may suggest; You could pull a mag, sort of, and add a glass dome atop the neck, and make it more or less head shaped, give it some wicked effects, and have the cage around it. I think it's a nice halfway point between what's in the game and what you've got so far.

I'm a total noob with modelling though, and DE's chosen things I wouldn't have expected, so take it with a grain of salt XP I'll just be sitting over here, crossing my fingers cause it's so GORGEOUS <3

No one on this forum has actually tried to make a prime looking alternate helmet yet. I strongly encourage you to do so. I personally despise the default Nova Prime helmet, and there are visual aspects to a lot of other primes that I would pay to improve. I'm sure there are others in the community that feel the same way. 

Also, I would add material between the three rings that connect the head to the nrck so you can't see the cut off neck. I think perhaps for other reasons than this helmet being a viable prime alternate, the devs may not accept it. It is a very unconventional design, and perhaps one of the least human-looking. This helmet is also in some ways a spoiler about what Warframes aren't (for those who haven't completed the second dream).

Edited by Jamescell

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2016 at 6:21 PM, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

It's beautiful 

Thank you so much, it really helps motivate me to do more c:

On 27/07/2016 at 11:55 PM, KaraOgata said:

I love the idea, and it looks beautiful! I worry though; Warframes, while they may not always look like a human could fit in them per se, always have human elements. (Aside from some Premium skins, of course.) Things like five fingers minimum, more or less accurately proportioned feet, in short, they give the impression that they're human. While the cage gives it the right silhouette, there's no actual "head."

Now, if this is acceptable as is, I've got my wallet ready. But if I may suggest; You could pull a mag, sort of, and add a glass dome atop the neck, and make it more or less head shaped, give it some wicked effects, and have the cage around it. I think it's a nice halfway point between what's in the game and what you've got so far.

I'm a total noob with modelling though, and DE's chosen things I wouldn't have expected, so take it with a grain of salt XP I'll just be sitting over here, crossing my fingers cause it's so GORGEOUS <3

Thanks so much Kara, I agree lol I'm taking your suggestion on board, and I'm likely going to be using that sort of approach,maybe a little more fancy lol

On 28/07/2016 at 7:26 AM, Jamescell said:

No one on this forum has actually tried to make a prime looking alternate helmet yet. I strongly encourage you to do so. I personally despise the default Nova Prime helmet, and there are visual aspects to a lot of other primes that I would pay to improve. I'm sure there are others in the community that feel the same way. 

Also, I would add material between the three rings that connect the head to the nrck so you can't see the cut off neck. I think perhaps for other reasons than this helmet being a viable prime alternate, the devs may not accept it. It is a very unconventional design, and perhaps one of the least human-looking. This helmet is also in some ways a spoiler about what Warframes aren't (for those who haven't completed the second dream).

Thank you so much James, I really feel the same way lol, want some better looking nova stuffs! Thanks for the feedback, it is really a spoiler :P I'll edit it to look more like a human can be in it lol I hope the main features of the design, like the rings will still have the same effect. Lets see. c: Lets hope I can get this thing in the next selection lol

On 7/28/2016 at 2:26 AM, Jamescell said:

No one on this forum has actually tried to make a prime looking alternate helmet yet. I strongly encourage you to do so.

It's not that "no one has tried". DE has stated that they would like to keep the Prime look special for their own Prime Access/etc, which is very important. I would strongly discourage an outright Prime look if you want to get your piece into the game. 

You're already towing the line with this helmet, being very Orokin-style, but I would hazard to guess that if it were pushed further into that territory it will have a high chance of rejection. Instead, I'd encourage you to explore more of the energy-harnessing theme, maybe add some Tenno-style pieces of tech inside/as connective pieces to join everything together, maybe some emitter-like pieces. The cage pieces have a cool silhouette but are all the same width and they could benefit from some breakup (maybe adding things like brackets or biomech suggestions to connect it to the body, etc). Also keep in mind that the helmet is unlikely to be weight painted to any additional bones, so it will probably move like a solid unit attached to a single bone. IE anything overlapping the neck will likely clip into it during animation.

Hope this helps! Loving this piece so far.

3 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

It's not that "no one has tried". DE has stated that they would like to keep the Prime look special for their own Prime Access/etc, which is very important. I would strongly discourage an outright Prime look if you want to get your piece into the game. 

You're already towing the line with this helmet, being very Orokin-style, but I would hazard to guess that if it were pushed further into that territory it will have a high chance of rejection. Instead, I'd encourage you to explore more of the energy-harnessing theme, maybe add some Tenno-style pieces of tech inside/as connective pieces to join everything together, maybe some emitter-like pieces. The cage pieces have a cool silhouette but are all the same width and they could benefit from some breakup (maybe adding things like brackets or biomech suggestions to connect it to the body, etc). Also keep in mind that the helmet is unlikely to be weight painted to any additional bones, so it will probably move like a solid unit attached to a single bone. IE anything overlapping the neck will likely clip into it during animation.

Hope this helps! Loving this piece so far.

There have been two syandanas that have been accepted that look very prime, the Nsaru and the Rota. In fact, the rota was directly inspired by orokin void laser plates. No one has tried to make a helmet that I am aware of (there was one weird one I saw for mag that could plausibly be prime).

14 minutes ago, Jamescell said:

There have been two syandanas that have been accepted that look very prime, the Nsaru and the Rota. In fact, the rota was directly inspired by orokin void laser plates. No one has tried to make a helmet that I am aware of (there was one weird one I saw for mag that could plausibly be prime).

For the Rota, when it was first made, it was called Rota Prime and the metal was gold coloured by default. It was then changed to Rota Syandana and a bronze metal colour by default. So it seems DE doesn't mind us colouring stuff to look prime but it can't be prime by default.

Also, as you say, I don't think anyone has made a Primed Alt Helm yet. I suppose it would be good to ask DE on their stance on Primed Stuff in tennogen, to get a definite answer.

1 hour ago, NovusNova said:

For the Rota, when it was first made, it was called Rota Prime and the metal was gold coloured by default. It was then changed to Rota Syandana and a bronze metal colour by default. So it seems DE doesn't mind us colouring stuff to look prime but it can't be prime by default.

Also, as you say, I don't think anyone has made a Primed Alt Helm yet. I suppose it would be good to ask DE on their stance on Primed Stuff in tennogen, to get a definite answer.

Customizeable metal is just as good as prime metal in my eyes (so long as it's masked right so that it can look gold). I guess as long as it's not advertised as prime DE is happy?-with syandanas, that is.

Edited by Jamescell

14 hours ago, omar_0007 said:

Thanks so much Kara, I agree lol I'm taking your suggestion on board, and I'm likely going to be using that sort of approach,maybe a little more fancy lol

More fancy sounds lovely~ And nah, no thanks needed. Just excited to see beautiful things in the makings! <3

Speaking of, the new iteration is looking lovely~ <3

• 3 weeks later...