The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Forum Reputation for?

Xekrin

Reputation is exactly what the name suggests... Reputation... If you have a lot of it, your Posts are often either useful and informative or funny and amusing, and if you don't you either use Language-specific Subforums a lot ( <.<' ) or your posts aren't usually informative or funny.

1 hour ago, SeaUrchins said:

Reputation is another useless stat denoting nothing. The more mainstream your post is, the more ups it gets, 'cos the mob rules.

P.S. at least people can't downvote.

funnily enough I sometimes actually think I've downvoted someone because once you upvoted them it turns into a red downvote button.

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

It helps if you can cultivate an air of exasperated patience. At all times, you must act as though you are the adult in the room.

Indeed.

Arrogance helps as well. Assert that you're the only one that know's what you're talking about.

Just now, DeMonkey said:

Indeed.

Arrogance helps as well. Assert that you're the only one that know's what you're talking about.

Resist the temptation to correct the grammar of the person with whom you are arguing! Let their mistakes stand in contrast to your own quite neat, perfectly comprehensible posts.

Resist the temptation to correct the grammar of the person with whom you are arguing! Let their mistakes stand in contrast to your own quite neat, perfectly comprehensible posts.

Really? I'd argue that you should point out the mistakes, really helps put them in their place.

1 hour ago, Rhekemi said:

Forum reputation is the most convenient way to acknowledge a good post.

Positive or negative, it doesn't matter: a good post is subjective.

This is especially true when we don't want to say anything, but just read. We use it to say I like this, or I agree, or You made me laugh, or This artwork/concept/writing is great, or Thanks for answering my question, and I acknowledge your point, even if I don't agree.

Cynicism and jokes aside, reputation says I see you. I acknowledge your efforts.

Show me a human being who doesn't want to be seen, acknowledged for their efforts in some way, and I will show you a liar.

On most, if not all, occasions I agree, but it depends on the person. I personally don't seek out for attention, acknowledgement etc. among the masses/public, however I don't consider any act of acceptance (that does happen) towards me as something mandatory/granted or something I need. I have almost an indifferent attitude towards such things.
It's a subjective topic, even though the statistics overall say every human being needs it, because it's a social being, yet I've putted myself as an example.
The problem is that this type of reputation gain, including any other type (eg. in YouTube,Twitter, Facebook etc.), people hoard the nice *zings* of up-votes and likes through cheap, cliche methods due to which the method of judging one post is decided on most occasions by the amount of upvotes, and then by the content, which IS, unfortunately, is not always judged with a clear, unbiased state of mind, because of the amount of reputation (not only here).

This also unfortunately goes even further, especially in the entertainment media.
Everyone knows about "that great channel/artist/writer/poet/musician whose talent is hindered by the unfair amount of views/likes/reposts/comments/exposure etc. compared to others"? We all know, and we all have them, atleast one example Im sure. See, that is the result of "others" hoarding their reputation.
And I mentioned this because I am also a victim of this system, and the only ways to get out of this is either A)brake/hinder/change your own life-principles; or B)stay with them and hope that in your lifetime you will get what you wanted (not mentioning billions points of reputation,views or anything, because, again, different people have different goals).

Edited by White-Gin
forgot "/granted"

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Really? I'd argue that you should point out the mistakes, really helps put them in their place.

No, no. First off, when you correct their grammar, you have to be 100% certain that your own post is perfect. Correcting someone else while making a typo or similar mistake makes you look like a right tit.

After that, though, you gain something better, more subtle and effective than the brief smug glow of correcting someone: As per my first post, you continue to look like the adult in the room. Just make sure that your own posts are perfectly punctuated, neatly laid out, and logical and easy to follow, and allow this to stand in contrast to the posts with which you are disagreeing.

3 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

No, no. First off, when you correct their grammar, you have to be 100% certain that your own post is perfect. Correcting someone else while making a typo or similar mistake makes you look like a right tit.

After that, though, you gain something better, more subtle and effective than the brief smug glow of correcting someone: As per my first post, you continue to look like the adult in the room. Just make sure that your own posts are perfectly punctuated, neatly laid out, and logical and easy to follow, and allow this to stand in contrast to the posts with which you are disagreeing.

Hmmm... I can see that. 

I mean, I'd miss the smug glow of course but I concede your point.

It's no fun being an adult...

It's as subjective as anything of that sort. Either you fit the "mold" of the many and get many likes in the threads you post in (or yeah, something "funny" that gets people's attention), or you don't, and don't get "reputation" points. In practice? Doesn't mean a damn thing as far as I'm concerned.

Just now, DeMonkey said:

Hmmm... I can see that. 

I mean, I'd miss the smug glow of course but I concede your point.

It's no fun being an adult...

Don't forget, Forum Rep is about whether other players will see your post and think positively. If you go for full condescension, then you look just as bad as whatever poor misinformed chap with whom you are remonstrating. If you have some restraint and politeness, then you really just look like the bigger person, and onlookers are more likely to agree with you.

Lessons in how to argue like a cynical git on the Internet, with DeMonkey and BornWithTeeth.

Don't forget, Forum Rep is about whether other players will see your post and think positively. If you go for full condescension, then you look just as bad as whatever poor misinformed chap with whom you are remonstrating. If you have some restraint and politeness, then you really just look like the bigger person, and onlookers are more likely to agree with you.

Hmmm, some (sadists) may laugh at the over the top condescension though, which is a positive reaction. Can't leave those guys out, that's discrimination right there.

21 minutes ago, White-Gin said:

On most, if not all, occasions I agree, but it depends on the person.

Yes, and no. What matters is to what degree one needs acknowledgment, not that one doesn't need it at all, or appreciate it when it's given.

I personally don't seek out for attention, acknowledgement etc. among the masses/public, however I don't consider any act of acceptance (that does happen) towards me as something mandatory/granted or something I need. I have almost an indifferent attitude towards such things.

You don't have to seek it out. If you're a human being and you invest time and effort into any endeavor, and that time and effort is appreciated, understood, recognized or acknowledged, liked, or (if not agreed with) seen as a valid/opposing point and debated fairly, you will appreciate it.

It's human nature. As you rightly note, we are social creatures. To what degree we need those interactions, that acknowledgement, does differ widely. 

You might not need it from many/the masses, and might only need acknowledgement from one or a handful of important people in your life, but it doesn't change the basic social need. (I use "you" here in the general sense.)

It's a subjective topic, even though the statistics overall say every human being needs it, because it's a social being, yet I've putted myself as an example.

See above.

The problem is that this type of reputation gain, including any other type (eg. in YouTube,Twitter, Facebook etc.), people hoard the nice *zings* of up-votes and likes through cheap, cliche methods due to which the method of judging one post is decided on most occasions by the amount of upvotes, and then by the content, which IS, unfortunately, is not always judged with a clear, unbiased state of mind, because of the amount of reputation (not only here).

People can misuse and abuse anything. My post wasn't about that; there were plenty of posts already addressing the negatives, the downsides, being cynical (rightly or wrongly), and being funny. I upvoted a few of those posts.

The point of my post was to recognize our common humanity, and what Reputation represents in its ideal form, it's truest sense. Regardless of how we use it, or how we feel it abused.

The problems you note with the system exist. Sure. Problems exist with any system--all systems.

It doesn't change the fact that online communities are still merely extensions of socializing between human beings.

This also unfortunately goes even further, especially in the entertainment media.
Everyone knows about "that great channel/artist/writer/poet/musician whose talent is hindered by the unfair amount of views/likes/reposts/comments/exposure etc. compared to others"? We all know, and we all have them, atleast one example Im sure. See, that is the result of "others" hoarding their reputation.
And I mentioned this because I am also a victim of this system, and the only ways to get out of this is either A)brake/hinder/change your own life-principles; or B)stay with them and hope that in your lifetime you will get what you wanted (not mentioning billions points of reputation,views or anything, because, again, different people have different goals).

If you don't mind my asking, in what way are you an example?

I'm an aspiring writer. I work hard at my craft, and I'm always trying to learn more. Yes, there will always be more popular authors than me. Some authors will get a boost in ways that are inaccessible to me. I won't share their privileges or keys to success.

But I can and will work hard at my own craft. I'm not a victim, and neither are you. You cannot control those other factors, so focus on what you can control. Work hard for one tangible scrap of success, then fight hard for the next, and the next, and the one after that.

I'd agree that it's important to reassess why we're doing something, how best to go about it, and reorient our goals when we feel stuck. While I focused on life, family and work, I took a year off writing for various reasons. Doing so helped me clear my head, focus, and remember why I wrote, the kind of writer I was, and the kind of success I wanted. It helped me remember what I loved about writing and why it was important.

It helped me block out other people's noise (largely industry noise). 

Whether I'm as successful as the next writer is irrelevant. Telling my stories, my way, being paid decently for the value of my work, and letting people who like stories like me read that work is what matters to me. Being the best writer I can be in the moment, and being better as I move forward, matters to me.

With regards to DeMonkey and BornWithTeeth's amusing posts, I want to note that it's easy to confuse (for some) arrogance with confidence.

Arrogance says you know everything, know more than you actually do, know better than everyone else, and are always right.

Confidence says you don't know everything, but you know what you know, believe you are right (and that the other person is wrong) and can explain why.

Debate isn't about standing your ground and never budging. It's a give and take. Yes, I want to systematically dismantle your falsehoods (with as little emotion or personal commentary as possible, if not none at all), but if in the process you prove me wrong or make points that are valid, I'll acknowledge them.

There's a really thin line between confident debate and arrogantly tearing your opponent down, and it's easy to cross. (Been there done that.) 

@Rhekemi
Numbering list for better reading, understanding key points. And stating my reasons as an artist.

1) Not everyone needs acknowledgment, doesn't matter from whom, and into what degree. Yes, we can debate that one doesn't accept it even if he is endorsed, he forcefully can neglect it, as a psychological self treatment of not letting yourself get too comfy or relax, obviously to not lose the built-up inertia in *insert any work you are doing*.

I am like that, hence me providing myself as an example. Only after my work is done I can let myself loose a bit, and only then I seek out mainly for constructive criticism, other endorsements such as "Great work!" etc. don't help me other then morally. And fortunately im quite independent on positive reinforcement, maybe because of my sheer will (don't know) I am at that point that it's not that meaningful to me. However I do accept the compliments and such to not appear rude or ignorant, because manners. 

So, in short, some do need it, and some are like me - they don't.

2) I think it was a poor choice of words on my side. But from reading what I said above you can get what I meant. However, appreciating is one thing and accepting is another.
I can appreciate a gift, but I can't accept it. It's a bit two-sided, but the point lays in each individual's principles relevant to the current situation and the other's.
I can appreciate other's attempts and act's of gratitude/help, but I can't accept them due to my own beliefs/reasons etc.. To some this seems as a narcissistic attitude, but it's shouldn't be confused with it. Being independent of other's opinions no matter what kind whilst accepting only the useful ones and not accepting out of personal ego is different. I'm the former. On small occasions I can go beyond it, but no more then I can control.

Also, I do understand that everyone without a doubt needs some positive backup from anyone at all, otherwise one can go mad, but speaking in the current context of the topic, that notion is negligible, afterall, we are talking about internet reputations, attitudes, not personal (like very personal (atleast to me)) conditions.

3) I know. But mine wasn't in any way referring to your comment, as it was an expansion and addition to my own. Everything else that is in that part (what you wrote) I agree, have nothing to say, add.

4) "Stating my reasons as an artist."
So, yeah, im kinda in the pithole of it.
You can see my work if you want to, I won't advertise it, neither will I try to advertise other's work as a comparison.
I have heard/read/listened already to a dime-a-dozen of "how I did it" quotes/stories/posts etc., no offense, it's a bit annoying, because the pattern and the solution is ALWAYS the same - hard work, that's it.
Well, im not addressing that problem, if you did see my work, you can understand why. The problem lies in the exposure one work gains over the others and how "hoarding" views hinders it.
Im a victim, since as an artist I consider that some of my work should get more views then the others of my own. And as I stated above I am seeking mainly useful constructive comments, I am aiming in only improving what I have. Sometime I compare my work with other artists and I wonder why or how there is such a difference (in everything practically). Same thing is noticeable with others, where some should be more know/popular then others, but it's not the case.
Now back to me, since I am improving myself as much as possible, without hindering my principles and rules, I as an artist am obviously aiming to get paid for my work. Because everyone needs to eat, pay his/her bills, get new clothes etc. And the thing is, if it weren't for my principles and rules I would have twice as much exposure as I have now. But the question and problem is, WHY should I do that? Why must I hinder the essentials that actually make me an individual in the society(even though I don't quite take act in it), so that I can, roughly said, survive. To me it is kinda unfair.

Of course there is a difference between an artist and a writer, and the difference lies in the fact that I can't just take a break mid-work to recuperate myself. That is a leisure I can't afford, not to mention other artists, because it's as valuable as time, and as I quote myself: "The main enemy of all artists, who is unfortunately unbeatable, is time."

I don't ask for likes, acceptance, followers, etc. because those things hold zero to none value to me, other then having a portfolio, about which I don't care, and people who can support financially in my bigger projects(which I have and the ONLY reason any follower still means something to me), that's it. I am more interested in people understanding what I do, what I draw. And I am a victim of this system, where such people as me, and no doubt many others, that are hidden amongst the masses don't get atleast a bit of what they deserve. That is the problem, the unfair game.
___
We did stray a bit off topic, probably, but I guess this somehow straightened it out.

3 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

grammarly-review1.png

Edited by Ibro156