Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx is a One-Trick Pony

Intilyc

So...granting 500% bonus damage to the toughest enemy on the field while taking control of him and turning him into a member of your team, confusing the entire battlefield and having them turn on each, disabling support from Ancients and Nullifiers for their allies and then soaking up enormous loads of damage from groups before exploding that damage outward onto them and knocking every one of them down...thats all one trick?

Hmmm...who knew...

Nyx isn't a one-trick pony per se, but Chaos is her most powerful ability. Mind Freak is okay but pretty marginal (controlling Bombards and Ancients is fun, but not game-changing), Psychic Bolts are meh, and Absorb is the victim of power creep as well as a recent nerf, apparently. What I mean by that is that your teammates will end up killing 20x as many enemies with OP guns than you will sitting around Absorbing and blowing up.

Chaos has a lot of problems, though, which is why no one uses Nyx except for gits and shiggles. To wit:

1. in raids (trials), confused enemies still shoot each other and blast missiles and napalm everywhere, killing each other and players
  2. in defense, confused enemies will stand still to attack each other, slowing down the mission; you want to kill them quickly to move on to the next wave, which is why speed Nova is popular
  3. Chaos isn't needed in any extermination or sabotage mission I'm aware of, here again it's more likely to just slow things down (might be good for Sorties, but again, point #1 applies)
  4. Chaos doesn't prevent enemies from capping points in interception
  5. It's not needed for spy missions

Basically it's very powerful, far-reaching, long-lasting CC but it's pretty crappy CC when you take all the variables into account. I'll bring a max range, high-duration, 170% efficiency Ice Wave Impedance Frost to just about any mission requiring big, strong CC. When you use Ice Wave and Avalanche, the enemy bombards and napalms don't start shooting at each other and blowing up your squad in the process. In fact, they stand completely still so that even a console player using a controller can manage to shoot them in the head for 90,000 damage.

Edited by Kastorius

13 minutes ago, Kastorius said:

Nyx isn't a one-trick pony per se, but Chaos is her most powerful ability. Mind Freak is okay but pretty marginal (controlling Bombards and Ancients is fun, but not game-changing), Psychic Bolts are meh, and Absorb is the victim of power creep as well as a recent nerf, apparently. What I mean by that is that your teammates will end up killing 20x as many enemies with OP guns than you will sitting around Absorbing and blowing up.

Chaos has a lot of problems, though, which is why no one uses Nyx except for gits and shiggles. To wit:

1. in raids (trials), confused enemies still shoot each other and blast missiles and napalm everywhere, killing each other and players
  2. in defense, confused enemies will stand still to attack each other, slowing down the mission; you want to kill them quickly to move on to the next wave, which is why speed Nova is popular
  3. Chaos isn't needed in any extermination or sabotage mission I'm aware of, here again it's more likely to just slow things down (might be good for Sorties, but again, point #1 applies)

Basically it's very powerful, far-reaching, long-lasting CC but it's pretty crappy CC when you take all the variables into account. I'll bring a max range, high-duration, 170% efficiency Ice Wave Impedance Frost to just about any mission requiring big, strong CC. When you use Ice Wave and Avalanche, the enemy bombards and napalms don't start shooting at each other and blowing up your squad in the process. In fact, they stand completely still so that even a console player using a controller can manage to shoot them in the head for 90,000 damage.

OI I may use a controller but no mocking some on our skills

Spoiler

With that out of the way, Nyx is amazing. High lvl enemy youd rather not deal with right now can be turned to an ally. Psychic bolts still need some work done to them, I mainly use them when i accidently hit 2 instead of 1 or 3. Guess it is ok if you just want to use chaos on a few baddies in a small group Chaos is just mmmmuah perfect, build for range and duration and you essentially turn the whole room into a free for all. Absorb is, well, absorb. Haven't tried it yet, but could probably be useful for negating the nuke effect of tonkor in radiation sorties. Current uses for it other than dealing damage:

• Protect fallen tenno/pet when things go terribly wrong. Very useful when fighting things that will rip your face off in .2 seconds if you are relying on guardian, sanctuary or other things like that
  • Bullet jump and sit in the air while you go afk. Keeps you away from leeches while you go do whatever it is you need to do. I mainly save this for when i need to get a drink/snack or something else. If built solely for duration and efficiency you have about 10 minutes to do whatever you want. Go make yourself a hot pocket or somethin
  • Limiting enemy path of travel. Not sure how exactly this worked, but earlier today I managed to cast it in a spot where rather than go back a few feet to take the stairs that come out directly behind me, the grineer just stood infront of me and kept piling up and shooting from the small part of the catwalk. Who knows, may just be a weird bug or soemthing, but still worth testing out.

Besides that, this will probably be as close as we get to this

Spoiler

Nyx_Prime_2.pnglatest?cb=20151119121536

20 minutes ago, Kastorius said:

1. I don't do raids, so I'll just take your word for it (hardly even do sorties anymore)
  2. Chaos is for drawing fire away from something, or drawing fire right to you. Not for rushing missions, chaos isn't the tool for that job.
  3. Again, drawing fire away or to something, not for rushing missions. Works great for mobile defense, survival and excavation
  4. Well yeah...they see everything as tenno, so they need to cap points before the "tenno" cap points. All you really have to do is just stand in the general area and pick off anyone who tries to cap
  5. All frames that are not loki or Ivara with infiltrate are not needed for spy missions. Desecrate isn't needed for rescue missions, bastille isn't needed for spy missions etc etc. Those aren't problems, those are just cases where the power has no practical use. Sort of like having Atlas do anything quietly, or sneaky.

I'd like to see the profile stats of everyone defending Nyx. I have a strong feeling that 90% of the people defending underused frames on this forum rarely use the frame in question themselves. They just like to argue, and/or humblebrag about being 1337 enough to use a complicated frame properly, because like, all the scrubs out there just don't get it, man (which doesn't work in this case, since Nyx is extremely easy to play).

My points are superior because they reflect reality, not fantasy: Nxy is one of the least-used frames, if not the least-used frame. She's not least-used because people don't understand her, or because she's too hard to play, but because there are far better choices if you want to CC things and deal some extra damage.

Edited by Kastorius