Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon, the Fairy King!

jinxeverything

First thing first, thank you DE for making Oberon, he is my go-to and favorite frame, its true he has his flows but i like him and i do want to improve him to be the ideal frame for me.

Anyway i won't be talking about Smite and Reckoning but instead i will talk about Renewal and Hallowed Ground.

Lets start with Renewal.

I would like this ability to be merged with Hallowed Ground, when Oberon cast Renewal :

1. It will stay on you for 10 seconds which can be extended by duration mods, 10% duration = 1 second (no more inverted duration nonsense please T_T). 
  2. It will no longer drain energy on cast until you run out of energy or turn it off yourself or even when it expires like how it's now but instead it will be a pure duration ability, the moment it hits it's target the ability activates till it expires, each orb is independent therefore its duration is not affected by initial cast but it do refresh when the ability is recasted AND reached its target in time to refresh it if not already expired.
  3. The area around Oberon will become Hallowed Ground then it creates a trail of energy that follows Oberon around that have its effect and when Oberon run into any ally while Renewal is active it will cleanse them right away, its duration is double of Renewal (20 seconds) and can be extended by duration mods.
  4. It can revive fallen Tenno at the price of 100 energy point per revive, the cost of revive can not be reduced at all therefore it's fixed amount, if Oberon does not have 100 energy points, the ability will simply extend the Bleedout duration based on the ability duration, whoever gets the orb first will be revived therefore nearest target will be revived first, if Oberon dies while Renewal is active and he have enough energy he will revive himself at 125 energy as a cost if he didn't have that much he will increase his Bleedout from 20 to something based on his Renewal.
  5. Fallen Tenno's health upon revival will be at 30% of the max health and a second dose of Renewal is needed! 
  6. It can revive fallen companion (Kubrows, Kavats and sentinels) at the price of 50 energy points per revive.
  7. It will restore 275 HP on cast and will regenerate 700 HP over time, high numbers to compete against Blessing and other healing capable frames (well, we have Primed Vigor and we may have another frame with insane health pool), can be increased with Strength mods!
  8. The orb does not expire after you cast it but it will continue to travel to its target, upon reaching its target it activates and then expire after its duration is up, casting Renewal again simply send another orb which will simply refresh the duration if Renewal is already active, Renewal does not stack, it simply refresh.

*** Now then lets talk about his second ability, it got merged with Renewal, so what it will be now?

The answer is Beast Commander, this ability takes control of all animals within of Oberon's influence (wildlife, enemy controlled animals and our own)

I know Sentinels (our type) aren't animals but how about Oberon control them as well?

Oberon also gets to bring 3 companions with him and he can assign them by order based on your liking (Oberon gets 3 companion slots).

Beast Commander ability, how to activate it :

1. First press activates the ability, this will holster the weapons.
  2. Press and hold to send the troops after you select the commands, this will reequip the weapons.
  3. Press again to disable the ability which will return the troops.

What companion gets to do what and by what order?

You assign your companion to your mouse buttons (right, middle and left) based on the companion slots in the Arsenal :

1. 1st slot for Right mouse button.
  2. 2nd slot for Middle mouse button.
  3. 3rd slot for Left mouse button. 

The commands are given by clicking on the desired target, and they are :

1.  Attack - you aim at the enemy and click on it.  
  2. Defend - you aim at an ally (Tenno, NPC or objective) and click on it.
  3. Guard - you aim at any spot and click on it and the companion will stay there.
  4. Fetch - you aim at anything (ammo/ resource / power cell / data mass/ key) and if the right companion was selected it will go and fetch it for you. 

Please DE and Scott, Oberon needs some love!!

Can we also ask for improved armor rating from 150 to 250?

Also can we ask for better energy rating from 150 to 250? 

Any question please leave them bellow and i will answer them!

Not bad suggestions but 3 companions isn't going to happen. How about the free ability slot instead summons 3 unique beasts for him that are cool and effective, kind of like rumblers. Maybe an ox like creature that can tackle enemies, a bird that does utility things and a some other wild creatures for the damages.

14 minutes ago, TaylorsContraction said:

Not bad suggestions but 3 companions isn't going to happen. How about the free ability slot instead summons 3 unique beasts for him that are cool and effective, kind of like rumblers. Maybe an ox like creature that can tackle enemies, a bird that does utility things and a some other wild creatures for the damages.

Or he summons clones of the companion that on him and when wildlife are under his control, when he sends his summons, the wildlife will follow them?

I doubt DE going to make a cool ability with cool animation just like that, might as well just reuse what we have :'(

Edited by Prinny13

1 minute ago, Prinny13 said:

Or he summons clones of the companion that on him and when wildlife are under his control, when he sends his summons, the wildlife will follow them?

I doubt DE going to make a cool ability with cool animation just like that, might as well just reuse what we have :'(

They can reuse juggernaut's animations and moves for the oxm like creature. Bird like creature would be new but it just flies around and maybe marks enemies giving them a debuff (lower accuracy) and maybe a small buff like extra damage when zoomed in, cus bird vision? For the combat beast they can reuse kubrow combat animations, seems easy enough. Modeling and skinning are more work but it would make oberon a beast master without him compromising other people's companions. That's my dog / cat / sentinel, lay off them  :P.

• There is some duality of Oberon theme if he is a Paladin or Faerie, with abilities based on one or another theme, sticking to one may feel better.
  • Passive is troublemaking, since charms offen cause problems. (blocking damage) And charms beyond player control are worse. Only few planets offer any use of it. Making present passive optional mod would be better.
  • New passive could be: 1) Lay of hands, if oberon is about to die it lays hands on himself to restore 50% of health (triggers once per 90sec, separete from other abilities) 2) Spirit companion, when using ability summon a Spectral Kubros decoy which annoys enemies and draw enemy fire.
  • Smite and reckoning are kinda ok.
  • Hallow ground has half the desired size.
  • Hallow Ground armour buff does nothing for squishes and is not needed by tanky. Independent value would be better (like 100 armour * all strenght) And even then forcing other players to stay in place is counter mechanic, should work more as pickable buff (like volt)
  • Hallowed Ground could be also change to pure offensive ability, with ticking damage and armour/shield striping.
  • Renewal should revive bleeding bros, so there will be this one good reason (other than freyarch skin) to play Oberon. Phoenix renewal should work other way around, so the more duration we have the better it is. Right now it is very hard to trigger Phoenix.
  • It would be very cool if Broberon could remove debuffs more easly. That could be a frameseller.
  • It is very boring that DE puts Madurai aura polarity on every frame. Where is variety? Oberon could be Vazarin

As the general rule i prefer Broberon over Hulkberon. Since we have enought of dps frames, CCframes, and even point defense. But not enought medics.

Edited by felixsylvaris

3 hours ago, felixsylvaris said:

There is some duality of Oberon theme if he is a Paladin or Faerie, with abilities based on one or another theme, sticking to one may feel better.

He's a druid flavored paladin, and all of his abilities seem heavily inspired by DnD, and make thematic sense with his design. There are two main issues with him as-is.

1. Survivability - The term paladin refers to a front-line warrior who utilizes divine magic to buff and support his allies, or to smack people in the face with the power of "Believe it". Updating his overall defenses would bring him in line with frames like Chroma or Inaros (wouldn't have to be as absurdly resistant as Chroma). As a paladin, Oberon's overall survivability is poor, he has some armor, and some shields, but to make his abilities work and scale even somewhat effectively you have to sacrifice the majority of your mod slots on power strength and/or range.

Buff Armor to 350 (+200) - This will give him around the same basic defensive properties as Chroma, but without Vex Armor's amazing DR buff. Rhino has a lower armor base, but he has higher shields, and Ironskin is a fairly cheap ability energy wise (besides Rhino is Oberon's rival as a Paladin archetype).

2. Effectiveness - As a support Oberon's AoE abilities are definitively lacking.

Hallowed Ground - Hallowed Ground's effects sound great on paper, but there is a main problem with it, it vastly limits the combat area in which allies can benefit from it. This means that outside of a defense mission, where you don't need to be moving around the map, the ability is effectively worthless. Chroma's Elemental Ward moves with him, and Nezha's Fire Walker literally lets him make a path of Hallowed Ground as a 1st ability. Now those abilities are fine, disregarding the band-aid augment for Chroma's elemental ward to stay active on people who leave its AoE. I propose that the Armor bonus from Hallowed Ground remain on allies for the duration even if they leave the AoE, and this should not be added as an augment.

Renewal - Renewal's range is fine, but its overall effectiveness is minimal, you'll extend someones death cooldown, but you'll probably get shredded if YOU personally try to pick them up. Additionally the initial heal doesn't scale to the frame, its a set amount. This means that frames which rely on having and retaining a high HP pool get very little from renewal (i.e. Chroma, and Inaros). I propose making it grant 45% HP Initial, then 2.5% HP per second for 10 seconds. For a total of 70% HP, the energy drain wouldn't be much of an issue in this case, and could be left as-is. This would still be less effective than Trinity, albeit she's been getting whacked with the nerfbat quite a bit in the past few updates.

Also everyone needs to understand that Oberon is supposed to be a paladin, not a focus-healer/buffer like Trinity, making Renewal better should not entail making Trinity obsolete, it's all she has T^T.

Reckoning - Reckoning works very well as a CC, and has the effect to spawn health orbs. If Oberon picks them up allies in the bleed-out state are revived by a %. This seems extremely odd. I think it would make far more sense for reckoning to revive 1 ally per cast if a certain number of enemies are killed while under its effects. The health orb method seems alright on paper, but in-action it is not very intuitive.

Edited by Nox_Terminus

Gonna stick with the ideas I think are the best for Oberon without completely revamping him or giving him new powers or whatever. These come from months of reading, commenting and posting on every oberon thread. 

• Picking up health orbs will revive companions by a % - this should just be part of his passive.
  • Hallowed Ground should give a 30% buff to armor and 30% buff to damage. As well as remove damage resistances from enemies. Oberon should have a small energy regen while on Hallowed Ground. Enemies take radiation DoT.
  • Renewal should be channeled while orbs are travelling (drain affected by efficiency - speed functions normally) but have a set duration once orbs hit that doesn't run out at full health (affected positively by duration). Renewal prevents status procs on contact and remains while active. Basically it functions as it does now but with drain ending when orbs reach target and duration being fixed once that happens.   
  • Phoenix renewal does 4m AoE  stagger/blind on trigger. 30% of damage is reflected as radiation while cool down is active. 

Those alone make his kit Much better. 

Addition that's not necessary but would spice his kit up:

• Change Reckoning chance of dropping health orbs on kill to a chance of dropping a unique orb, let's call it Guardian Orbs. Oberon/Allies can pick up these orbs which grant % bonus armor for X seconds (Effect stacks per orb with a cap)
  • Casting Renewal will pull and absorb Guardian orbs in at meters range and disperse the armor buff to all allies through Renewal.

This not only fixes some of his problems but also makes him "balanced" in terms of providing Support, Offensive and Defense - without making him overpowered in any 1 field since the numbers are still fairly low. It also adds some much needed synergy (for lack of a better word) between his abilities.

There's a lot of great ideas in here, that's for sure.

I do want to avoid Smite and Reckoning but it seems hard to do that might as well mess with them.

Let's change the order of Oberon abilities to the following :

His first is Smite.

His second is Renewal.

His Third is Reckoning.

His Forth is the promoted idea, going selfish here (should we stick with Beast Commander or change it to Beast Master?)

I also like the idea of Oberon summing Beasts to aid him in batter though i did want to use already exited ones (kubrows, kavats and sentinels) to make it easy for DE to develop it.

7 hours ago, TaylorsContraction said:

They can reuse juggernaut's animations and moves for the oxm like creature. Bird like creature would be new but it just flies around and maybe marks enemies giving them a debuff (lower accuracy) and maybe a small buff like extra damage when zoomed in, cus bird vision? For the combat beast they can reuse kubrow combat animations, seems easy enough. Modeling and skinning are more work but it would make oberon a beast master without him compromising other people's companions. That's my dog / cat / sentinel, lay off them  :P.

I like this idea a lot, Oberon summons 3 Beasts to fight along side him, if you have a Kubrow it will transform into a battle dog, if you have a Kavat it will transform into a battle tiger and if you have a sentinel it will transform into a battle bird, if you do bring any of them, the Beasts that transformed from any of them will inherent its mods thus receiving a buff?

Bird Beast stays by Oberon side no matter what, it can cast cloak to protect its master and draw enemies attention away from its master!

Dog Beast travel around to buff and support other Tenno, or if the master choose to, it will stay with him or will guard another Tenno!

Tiger Beast is pure offense Beast, it will target any nearby enemies or if the master choose to it will focus its attention on a single target!