Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does the Heliocor inflict physical damage?

IronWolfKnight

For some reason, despite the fact that the Heliocor is a Cephalon weapon, it doesn't deal Magnetic damage. Instead it's an IPS weapon that deals 119 Impact, 14 Puncture and 7 Slash damage. Why is that? It's inconsistent for this weapon to deal physical damage while the rest of the Cephalon weapons deal Magnetic damage especially when this weapon is supposed to complete the set for Cephalon themed weapons. Not to mention that it's stats basically make it a Fragor 2.0.

Just now, Kaokasalis said:

I agree, especially because most of the hammer weapons already focus on Impact damage. Did we really need another when it has the option of being something else?

I have this sneaky feeling that the damage types selected was unintended. Until then I'm probably going to be calling the Heliocor a Pseudolon weapon from now on. 

12 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

I attribute it to the crushing weight of simulated black holes but whatever.

While that's a good reason to explain the damage types it has, I see no other reason why this weapon should deal physical damage when the other Cephalon weapons deal magnetic damage. It's like if DE released the Boltace and its damage type was Fire instead of Puncture.

Edited by IronWolfKnight

Just now, IronWolfKnight said:

While that's a good reason to explain the damage types it has, I see no reason why this weapon should deal physical damage when the other Cephalon weapons deal magnetic damage. It's like if DE released the Boltace and its damage type was Fire instead of Puncture.

Some weapons are oddities. Same like how karyst while still being a knife only deals poison damage. I imagine part of the reasoning for this melee, is that magnetic already is a very unappreciated damage type and really only good against one faction. For this, since it scans what it kills, they have to make it useful on a wider basis.

2 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Some weapons are oddities. Same like how karyst while still being a knife only deals poison damage. I imagine part of the reasoning for this melee, is that magnetic already is a very unappreciated damage type and really only good against one faction. For this, since it scans what it kills, they have to make it useful on a wider basis.

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was using the Boltace as an example of DE releasing a weapon that's supposed to complete a set of weapons that have a theme (The Boltace being a Boltor themed weapon so it's supposed to deal Puncture) only for the weapon to have a completely different damage type than what the other weapons in its theme used. Even the red text advertised the Heliocor as a Cephalon weapon to complete the theme that the Gammacor and Simulor started.

20 minutes ago, IronWolfKnight said:

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was using the Boltace as an example of DE releasing a weapon that's supposed to complete a set of weapons that have a theme (The Boltace being a Boltor themed weapon so it's supposed to deal Puncture) only for the weapon to have a completely different damage type than what the other weapons in its theme used. Even the red text advertised the Heliocor as a Cephalon weapon to complete the theme that the Gammacor and Simulor started.

They have a aesthetic theme. Similar to the stalker weapons (not including war and broken war), there is one weapon that doesn't fit in damage types like the other.

33 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

They have a aesthetic theme. Similar to the stalker weapons (not including war and broken war), there is one weapon that doesn't fit in damage types like the other.

Correct. You've found one example of a weapon set that has one weapon dealing a different damage type than the rest. Now let's have a look at other weapon sets that have a theme and are consistent with damage types.

The Paris themed weapons (Paris, Kunai and Anku). All of them have the same aesthetic and they all deal Puncture damage.

The Tigris themed weapons (Tigris, AkJagara and Redeemer). Same aesthetic, same damage type.

The Soma themed weapons (Soma, Aksomati and Dual Raza). Same aesthetic, same damage type.

And lest we forget the Boltor themed weapons (Boltor, Akbolto and Boltace). Again, same aesthetic, same damage type.

As you can see, there are more weapon sets with the same damage types than weapon sets with one of the weapons dealing a different damage type than the others. So now I ask this question: If the weapon sets I mentioned are all consistent with damage type, why can't the Heliocor deal magnetic damage like the Simulor and Gammacor if it's supposed to complete the Cephalon theme that the other Cephalon weapons started?

Edited by IronWolfKnight
Added Boltor example.

Just now, IronWolfKnight said:

Correct. You've found one example of a weapon set that has one weapon dealing a different damage type than the rest. Now let's have a look at other weapon sets that have a theme and are consistent with damage types.

The Paris themed weapons (Paris, Kunai and Anku). All of them have the same aesthetic and they all deal Puncture damage.

The Tigris themed weapons (Tigris, AkJagara and Redeemer). Same aesthetic, same damage type.

The Soma themed weapons (Soma, Aksomati and Dual Raza). Same aesthetic, same damage type.

As you can see, there are more weapon sets with the same damage types than weapon sets with one of the weapons dealing a different damage type than the others. So now I ask this question: If the weapon sets I mentioned are all consistent with damage type, why can't the Heliocor deal magnetic damage like the Simulor and Gammacor if it's supposed to complete the Cephalon theme that the other Cephalon weapons started?

Soma theme is actually a bit off. Dual raza doesn't have the same level of puncture, but thats a small thing. Also there is one more weapon "family" that varies widely the mutalist pack that came with inaros. Same family, wildly different damage types.

Overall it is a small detail. Doesn't really hurt the weapon's effectiveness. 

1 hour ago, IronWolfKnight said:

For some reason, despite the fact that the Heliocor is a Cephalon weapon, it doesn't deal Magnetic damage. Instead it's an IPS weapon that deals 119 Impact, 14 Puncture and 7 Slash damage. Why is that? It's inconsistent for this weapon to deal physical damage while the rest of the Cephalon weapons deal Magnetic damage especially when this weapon is supposed to complete the set for Cephalon themed weapons. Not to mention that it's stats basically make it a Fragor 2.0.

Spoiler

Does it realy scan on kill? Not bad, but then, there isn't even that much left for scanning for a MR 9 player, is there?

Also, so close to the Fragor Prime release it beggs to be overlooked.

On the bright side: Last time Simaris got a weapon, that weapontype got it's Syndicates weapons not that much later.

2 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Does it have to compete with fragor prime? it is a weapon of utility.

Well, considering it had to KILL THE ENEMY, and scans aren't really worth anything unless you want a Kavat or have Helios damage bonus (which means you already have all of the scans).

Weapons of utility simply don't pull there weight. Dead is the best utility. 

0/10, doesn't even fit with the delicate profile of the Cephalon designs. Should have been a whip or staff.

Edited by Snowbluff
want, not have, Kavat

15 minutes ago, Snowbluff said:

0/10, doesn't even fit with the delicate profile of the Cephalon designs.

TIL that crushing your enemies' bones into a minuscule speck by sucking them into a black hole is considered "delicate".

Edited by SortaRandom

54 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Soma theme is actually a bit off. Dual raza doesn't have the same level of puncture, but thats a small thing. Also there is one more weapon "family" that varies widely the mutalist pack that came with inaros. Same family, wildly different damage types.

Overall it is a small detail. Doesn't really hurt the weapon's effectiveness. 

First of all, the weapon sets I mentioned are confirmed by DE to be weapon sets. We wouldn't know that the Paris, Kunai and Anku are a weapon set without DE telling us that they are and can you provide me evidence that the infested weapons that came with Inaros are a weapon set since I haven't seen DE mentioning that they are a weapon set.

As for the weapons effectiveness, yes, the Heliocor being Impact does take away it's effectiveness since unlike Magnetic, it suffers a 25% damage penalty against enemies with Flesh or Cloned Flesh health types which is what you will be facing against in end game and it's competing against the Jat Kittag and the Fragor Prime which both outclass the Heliocor. While they deal 10 less damage than the Heliocor, the Fragor Prime has higher crit stats and higher status and the Jat Kittag has far more status, has more attack speed and it can use the exclusive mod Vulcan Blitz.

Even the Heliocor's scanning gimmick is outclassed by a Codex Scanner and Helios since it's generally faster to scan targets from a distance without needing to kill them and if you have a target that you're unable to scan because they move too fast, you can just use Helios to scan them instead.

Does that mean that the weapon is bad? No. It's just disappointing that the Cephalon melee weapon is trying to compete with the other top tier hammers by having the same primary damage type while having a mechanic that can be passed off as a gimmick.

Edited by IronWolfKnight

It's still a good weapon so I'm not hugely upset but not making it do magnetic damage like the rest of its family feels really weird/wonky to me. Also kind of a missed opportunity to weapon diversity, so many impact based hammers already. Meh.

Also I'm sure syndicate version will be buffed but I have a feeling a damage type change is unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

It's still a good weapon so I'm not hugely upset but not making it do magnetic damage like the rest of its family feels really weird/wonky to me. Also kind of a missed opportunity to weapon diversity, so many impact based hammers already. Meh.

Also I'm sure syndicate version will be buffed but I have a feeling a damage type change is unlikely.

I won't complain at least impact has two valid damage mods.

It's kinda slow though and it's doomed to be forgotten because a Suda variant is deemed to be released (in a foreseeable future) anyways.

On the converse, it doesn't make sense how physical projectiles and physical weapons are capable of dealing purely elemental damage. The damage of weapons like the Dark Dagger, Dual Ichors, Lanka, and Velocitus doesn't really make sense in the first place.

The Gammacor and Simulor are both energy weapons, so pure elemental damage makes enough sense. The Heliocor is clearly a blunt bludgeoning weapon, so physical damage is reasonable, even if it breaks the pattern.

1 hour ago, IronWolfKnight said:

And lest we forget the Boltor themed weapons (Boltor, Akbolto and Boltace). Again, same aesthetic, same damage type.

Each of these sets, however, have the melee weapon shaped in a way where the matching damage type is reasonable for the design.

It'd be a dream if the Heliocor had something similar to the Jat Kittag's feature in inflicting an elemental damage type on slam attacks, with a bit of a boost to the slam radius. Using Crushing Ruin's Shattered Village and just bouncing enemies around on the slam combo finisher, proc'ing Magnetic damage and just laying waste to the battlefield with Bosse[tm] Bass-quality impact hits...

... My Soprana Banshee NEEDS this to HAPPEN.