Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concept Art Thread] Smuggler's Refuge | The Road to Completion

MissMarifire

This thread will be used to hold work-in-progress and other artwork for my endgame content concept, Smuggler's Refuge. All final artwork will be located on the concept thread itself.

Due to the upcoming overhaul, all previous artwork has been taken down. The older pieces will be brought back once the overhaul has been completed.

All art is under spoilers.

Latest Update: 1/13

tumblr_p2h67mgkpd1wvqnsao1_1280.png

Happy birthday, Smuggler's Refuge~!

Edited by MissMarifire

47 minutes ago, heskaroid said:

how many kfc buckets does she usually eat?

Reveal hidden contents

good drawing pls don't kill me

46 minutes ago, TheMetrocop said:

korpus fried clem?

Nd8kh5X.png

(Imo, she'd probably prefer Corpotle.)

28 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

That's a very cool concept, I think. And a very cuddly barkeep. :D

Thanks, but uh, she's part of the band. The guy who runs that show is Zeribus Ved who, if he were part of the band, would likely get arrested within five minutes because something something he downloaded a car.

Also, no self-respecting Corpus citizen would wear that. Ved actually has standards, he'd never wear a suit with bare hands let alone a sort of chest embellishment.

Edited by MissMarifire

10 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

Thanks, but uh, she's part of the band.

Hm, with a body like that, she must have an amazing voice. Or wrong again and she plays the drums?

22 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

Also, no self-respecting Corpus citizen would wear that.

Considering what the "self-respecting" Corpus I've seen so far wear ... they wouldn't?

26 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Hm, with a body like that, she must have an amazing voice. Or wrong again and she plays the drums?

Considering what the "self-respecting" Corpus I've seen so far wear ... they wouldn't?

She does sing, though she's not the only one out of the band who knows how to do it well.

Of course not! Bare HANDS? How disgusting! What's next, our young will show off their NECKS? or even worse, their ANKLES?

Edited by MissMarifire

Artwork looks good.

I never got around to commenting on that other thread, but always intended to disagree with the direction of its last iteration: moving toward grind-y quests.

It was not in sync, I felt, with the original vision: an off-beat hub of Corpus entertainment and life where Tenno could relax.

With regards to the story of why you set the project aside, I see.

That sucks, but now you're all the better for it for all the reasons you stated.

But there is also a greater life lesson things lie this have taught me. I suspect you've learned it too.

If someone you're seeing does not believe in what you do, doesn't understand it, demeans it and tries to tear it down, then they don't understand you, or what makes you tick, what drives and excites you, what matters to you.

Even if they don't fall into the same fandom circles as you, don't share the same artistry, what matters to you should matter to them for the simple reason that it matters to you.

I don't mean that in a false sense where dudes/dudettes pretend to like the same things.

I mean they should genuinely try to understand, even if they don't care for it themselves. If they care about you, they will care about you succeeding, or simply making The Thing the best you can.

15 hours ago, TheMetrocop said:

not that this relates to the topic or anything, but..

i just murdered an american burying beetle which i found out a few minutes ago are endangered.

noooooo

rip lil burying beetle bro

8 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Artwork looks good.

I never got around to commenting on that other thread, but always intended to disagree with the direction of its last iteration: moving toward grind-y quests.

It was not in sync, I felt, with the original vision: an off-beat hub of Corpus entertainment and life where Tenno could relax.

Reveal hidden contents

With regards to the story of why you set the project aside, I see.

That sucks, but now you're all the better for it for all the reasons you stated.

But there is also a greater life lesson things lie this have taught me. I suspect you've learned it too.

If someone you're seeing does not believe in what you do, doesn't understand it, demeans it and tries to tear it down, then they don't understand you, or what makes you tick, what drives and excites you, what matters to you.

Even if they don't fall into the same fandom circles as you, don't share the same artistry, what matters to you should matter to them for the simple reason that it matters to you.

I don't mean that in a false sense where dudes/dudettes pretend to like the same things.

I mean they should genuinely try to understand, even if they don't care for it themselves. If they care about you, they will care about you succeeding, or simply making The Thing the best you can.

Thank you.

In retrospect, I do agree with you. It is more organized, yes, but it feels shallow and boring, an incredibly drastic change to how the concept was. Like you mentioned, the newest version accomplishes the opposite of what I had in mind: it gave the Tenno more stuff to do that wasn't very engaging. I'll try to keep this in mind for 3.0.

Spoiler

I have, too. Taking from the experience, I don't believe he felt the concept mattered as much as it mattered to me, and he didn't understand why I was so interested in it, and for whatever reason he felt the need for me to just "get over it". It wasn't just the concept he thought about this either, even though the concept was influenced the most by it, rather a lot of things that I genuinely enjoyed he'd talk down on whenever I was around. It felt more like I was a means to and end for him than a loved one, and it felt really degrading, like I wasn't able to enjoy the things I loved.

All I can really do about it now is just shrug and learn from it, really.

Edited by MissMarifire

11 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

Updating a little to show a work-in-progress of the redesign of another NPC in the concept, Jyoti Tal. It's subject to change a lot as I develop it further (ex. I'm not particularly fond of the heel on him, looks sort of awkward.)

zDIT3Zz.png

dank, you have a good hold of corpus fashion

I'm glad you saw the issue and are considering going back to the concept's roots.

I think with respect to Jyoti Tal, maybe the coat tails should be longer. Since the waist is sort of cinched with the belt, kind of draws attention to how short the coat is and maybe that's why it feels awkward?

Dunno.

Yeah, that sounds bad. It happens. You move on and learn what types of people to avoid letting in (in that way). But for a good while sometimes the best thing is to just do you, get back in touch with yourself. Look for supportive folks if/when you need them.

4 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

I'm glad you saw the issue and are considering going back to the concept's roots.

I think with respect to Jyoti Tal, maybe the coat tails should be longer. Since the waist is sort of cinched with the belt, kind of draws attention to how short the coat is and maybe that's why it feels awkward?

Dunno.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, that sounds bad. It happens. You move on and learn what types of people to avoid letting in (in that way). But for a good while sometimes the best thing is to just do you, get back in touch with yourself. Look for supportive folks if/when you need them.

Yeah, I've got a few ideas for how to go about reworking it back to how it was before without making it overly convoluted:

I could keep the bar venue in the relay, but simply limit it to being a biweekly (perhaps inbetween Baro visits?) jobs that the Tenno could to for Zeribus which could get them a boost in credits (ex. completing jobs for Zeribus would get somewhere between like 25k and 100k credits depending on the level of the job itself), as well as the band either (A) staying at the relay like how Darvo does, or (B) visiting the relay every so often to play. There was also an idea for (B) which allowed for other bands to also visit the relay.

Lorewise, I could see it as such: there is some form of confidentiality agreement between Zeribus (and whoever oversees the relays, whoever that may be) and the bands that play at the venue to prevent them from talking about where the relays are as well as whatever goes on in them. 

Alternatively, I could also have the bar venue be on a ship of sorts, acting as another hub, or just having the bar simply be for band visits.

I can see what you mean, yeah. I edited the sketch to make the coat tails a bit longer. Here's the sketch before and after.

zDIT3Zz.pngdGCOFtr.png

Not sure as to whether or not to make it even longer or to remove the asymmetry of thing that's going on with the tailcoats, since it's longer in the front and shorter in the back, or to tweak it vice versa.

4 hours ago, wolfsongcry said:

This world needs more chubby characters. I love her and I love your art! :D

7YZY2No.png

Edited by MissMarifire

43 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

Alternatively, I could also have the bar venue be on a ship of sorts, acting as another hub, or just having the bar simply be for band visits.

Hm, sounds like a cool idea. They somehow got their hands on an decommissioned small Corpus freighter and turned the hangar into a bar. Now they're travelling through the solar system as a pirate radio of sorts, with live events every now and then. :)

11 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Hm, sounds like a cool idea. They somehow got their hands on an decommissioned small Corpus freighter and turned the hangar into a bar. Now they're travelling through the solar system as a pirate radio of sorts, with live events every now and then. :)

Huh, that would be interesting. As much as I'd absolutely love to have the option to listen to anything other than the Grineer chatter we get on our Liset radios, Cephalon Cordylon says otherwise:

There was once a time where Tenno operatives were able to select non-essential broadcasts, however this became problematic as some operatives choose focused on the more socially intriguing events in localized wavelengths. Failing to pay close enough attention to increased Grineer presence or Corpus drones has caused us to lose agents in the past due to 'unforeseen circumstances'.

Upon reviewing ship logs it was determined that monitoring non-essential broadcasts such as civilian transmissions may have caused incidents including, but not limited to:

· Driving headlong into a patrolling Grineer Galleon.

· Being unaware of increased security checkpoints when moving behind enemy lines.

· Missing a vital drop-off after accidentally changing the wavelength tuner, only to forget the original broadcast channel.

After careful review it was decided that all agents would have their communication sensors set to specific frequencies, including all incoming Liset transmissions monitored by Ordis.

All I can say is that it's really lame, and we are really bad at controlling our Lisets apparently.

Nonetheless, I'd dig the idea of this sort of moving venue like that.

Edited by MissMarifire